32 CHILFROME (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXX, S.W.)
Chilfrome is a small parish 6 m. W. of Cerne Abbas.
(1) Parish Church of the Holy Trinity stands at
the E. end of the parish. The walls are of flint and
local stone rubble with freestone dressings; the roofs
are tiled. The chancel-arch dates from the 13th
century and the Nave is partly of the 14th century, but
the Chancel was rebuilt c. 1852 and the rest of the church
was restored in 1864.
Architectural Description—The Chancel is modern
except for the partly restored 13th-century chancel-arch
which is two-centred and of two continuous chamfered
The Nave (33 ft. by 15¾ ft.) has, in the N. wall, a
modern window and doorway; further W. is the
blocking of a former window. In the S. wall are two
windows, the eastern of the 15th century and of three
cinque-foiled lights in a square head with moulded
external reveals; the late 14th-century western window
is of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square
head. In the W. wall is a 15th-century two-light
window with modern tracery and two-centred head.
Fittings—Bell: inaccessible, probably by Thomas
Purdue, 1674. Chair: In chancel—with turned front
legs, shaped arms and arched panel in back, 17th-century. Chest: In nave—with panelled front and
enriched framing, 17th-century, top and other parts
modern. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Thomas,
son of Thomas Clement, clerk, 1676; (2) to Thomas
Clement, 1675, with enrichments; (3) enriched slab to
Thomas (?) Clement, pastor, late 17th-century. Seating:
In nave—two coffin-stools, with turned legs, 17th-century.
(2) Cottage, 50 yards N. of the church, is of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roof is thatched.
It was built in the 17th century and contains a reset
door-head with the date 1661. There are also some
original doors with ornamental strap-hinges.
(3) Cottage, two tenements, 260 yards W. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble with
a facing of coursed flint and clunch; the roof is
thatched. It was built in the 17th century and retains
some original stone-mullioned windows and a fireplace
with moulded jambs and four-centred head. The barn
adjoining the cottage on the W. is of the same period.
(4) Cottage, on the E. side of the road 120 yards
N. of (3), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roof is thatched. It was built in the 17th
century and retains some original stone-mullioned
(5) Barrows, on North Hill nearly 1½ m. W.N.W. of
the church, stand about 120 yards apart. The northern
is about 33 ft. in diameter and 2½ ft. high; the southern
is about 60 ft. in diameter and 3 ft. high. Both are
much denuded, but probably they were bowl barrows.
(6) Lynchets, 550 yards W.N.W. of the church,
consist of eleven well-preserved terraces on a S. slope
and extending for about 200 yards. The widths vary
from 9 to 35 yards. There is a further single terrace
about 200 yards to the W. and about 50 yards wide.