34 COMPTON ABBAS (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXIX, N.W.)
Compton Abbas is a small parish 6 m. E. of Bridport.
(1) Parish Church of St. Michael stands near
the middle of the parish. It has been entirely rebuilt,
partly in 1858 and partly in 1867, but contains from the
old building the following:—
Fittings—Bell: one by Thomas Purdue, 1665.
Chest: In vestry, of iron with churchwarden's name and
date 1816. Font: Circular bowl with chamfered under
edge, cylindrical stem and double chamfered base, 13th-century, recut. Monuments: On E. wall of N. aisle
externally, (1) to John Hardy, 1633, plain tablet;
(2) to Elizabeth, wife of John Hardy, 1628, plain
tablet. Plate: Pewter dish with initials R.H.I., 18th-century. Seating: In vestry—coffin-stool with turned
legs, and top of a second stool, 17th-century.
(2) Standing Stones, 1,000 yards S.W. of the
church, are two in number, one 6 ft. long by 4 ft. high
and 1 ft. thick and the second, to the W., 6½ ft. long by
3½ ft. high and 1½ ft. thick. They are 1¾ ft. apart and
(3) Bowl Barrow, on the W. edge of the parish,
1,520 yards W. of the church, is 32 ft. in diam. and 3 ft.
(4) Mound, probably the remains of a barrow, on
the N.W. edge of the parish 620 yards N.N.E. of (3),
is 50 to 60 ft. in diam. and 3½ ft. high. It has been much
(5) Mound, possibly a long barrow, 200 yards
W.S.W. of Eggardon Hill Farm and 1,100 yards W. of
the church, is about 53 yards long and at most 18 yards
wide and 5 ft. high. It has been much disturbed and the
outline obscured. Its axis lies roughly E. and W.
(6) Celtic Field-System along the scarp of a reentrant on the S.E. of Eggardon Hill, ½ m. N.W. of
the church, covers an area of about 65 acres, mostly
along the 650 ft. contour. It has well marked scarps.
(7) Dyke and cultivation-system, the former is on the
W. edge of the parish 50 yards S.W. of (3). The
dyke extends across a low ridge for about 80 yards in
a well-defined state and can be traced for a further
130 yards; it consists of a bank with a ditch on the
S.E. side; the bank rises 3 ft. above the bottom of
the ditch. There are traces of a cultivation-system,
perhaps of Celtic origin, in the immediate neighbourhood.
(8) Lynchets, on a N.W. slope ¼ m. N.W. of the
church, form a series of four main terraces extending
for about 240 yards.
(9) Lynchets, on a W. slope 300 yards E. of the
church, consist of two and three terraces divided into
two sections by a cross-dyke; they extend for about