41 FOLKE (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XII, N.W. (b)XII, S.W.)
Folke is a parish 3 m. S.E. of Sherborne. The church,
Manor House, West Hall and Font le Roi are the
a(1) Parish Church of St. Lawrence stands in the
N.W. corner of the parish. The walls are of local
rubble with freestone dressings and the roofs are
covered with stone slates. The church was entirely
rebuilt in 1628 as recorded in the parish register. It
was extensively restored in 1875
The church with many of its fittings is an interesting
example of 17th-century work
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by
16 ft.) has an E. window of four four-centred lights, the
middle pair rather higher than the others, with a
moulded label. The N. and S. walls have each a similar
window of three lights with the middle light taller
than the others; the N. doorway has moulded jambs
and elliptical arch under a square moulded label with
returned stops. The plastered chancel-arch is semi-circular and of one chamfered order with a key-stone;
it springs from moulded and dentilled corbels.
The Nave (41 ft. by 16 ft.) has N. (Plate 114) and S.
arcades of three bays with two-centred arches of one
moulded order with a sunk soffit enriched with carved
paterae; the central arch has a carved pendant; the
octagonal piers have moulded and dentilled capitals
and moulded bases and a concave panel in each face
with a round head; the responds have attached half-piers; W. of the arcade, on each side, is a doorway
with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; the N.
doorway has a label with returned stops.
The North Aisle (9¾ ft. wide) has, in the E. and W.
walls, a window of two four-centred lights with a label.
In the N. wall are two windows similar to the side
windows of the chancel. The aisle has an embattled
The South Aisle (9¾ ft. wide) is similar in treatment
and openings to the N. aisle, but there is no W. window.
The West Tower (9¾ ft. square) is of two stages and
three storeys, finished with an embattled parapet and
pinnacles. The offsets of the buttresses and the bell-chamber windows may be reused materials. The
tower-arch is two-centred and of one continuous
moulded order. In the N. wall is a blocked window
with a round head and in the S. wall is a doorway,
perhaps modern, with moulded jambs, two-centred
arch and label with returned stops. The floor of the
second storey has been raised about 4 ft. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of one pointed
light fitted with a stone trellis grille.
The South Porch, now a vestry, has an embattled
parapet. The outer archway is semi-circular and of
one moulded order with a label; the moulded responds
have moulded imposts. In the W. wall is a modern
Folke, Parish Church of St Lawrence
Fittings—Bells: five; 4th by William Bilbie of
Chewstoke, 1777; 5th, 1638, given by William Hurd,
died 1631, from the Wiseman foundry; bell-frame old.
Brass: attached to lectern, to William Hemerford,
S.T.B., rector, 1583, inscription only. Chest: In nave
—with panelled front and ends, moulded styles and
rails, 17th-century. Communion Rails: with turned
balusters and side-posts with acorn-tops, moulded
upper rail, 17th-century. Communion Table: with
turned legs and enriched upper and lower rails, 17th-century, marble top with moulded edge, date uncertain.
Font (Plate 35): octagonal bowl with bands of Greek
wave-ornament, gadroons and conventional foliage,
twisted circular stem with moulded capital and base,
17th-century. Cover, of oak with seven (formerly
eight) scrolled supports to central post and small intermediate knobs, 17th-century. Hatchment (Plate 25):
in N. aisle—on S. wall, achievement-of-arms of Henning painted on panel with carved and gilt frame, dated
1658. Hour-glass Stand: On S.E. respond behind
pulpit, of wrought-iron, 17th or 18th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel—on S.
wall, (1) to Rev. Robert Frome, 1833, Jane, his wife,
1830, Emily and Mary, their daughters, 1812 and
1863, and Arundell Frome, mother of Robert, 1790,
black and white marble wall-monument with shield-of-arms, by C. Thomas. In S. aisle—on S. wall,
(2) to Walter Rideout, 1643, tablet with arched panel
and painted emblems of mortality; (3) to Ann, wife
of William Notley, 1797, William Notley, 1837, and
William, their son, 1841, black and white marble wall
monument by G. Crawford of Sherborne; (4) to Erle
Hawker, 1805, oval wall-tablet of marble with shield-of-arms. In churchyard—W. of tower, (5) to John
Daggel, late 17th-century, headstone. Floor-slab: In
chancel—under communion-table, to Katherin, wife of
Abraham Forrester, rector, 1563, enriched slab. Painting: In nave—on N. wall, the Resurrection, in oils on
canvas, 18th-century. Panelling: Incorporated in
various modern fittings, parts of 17th-century panelling.
Plate: includes a stand-paten of 1706, given by Susana
widow of Thomas Chafe, with a lozenge-of-arms, and
a paten of 1846 given in 1847. Pulpit: octagonal with
moulded and dentilled cornice, each face with two
panels divided by an enriched moulding, upper panels
with enriched design, lower panels with reeded decoration, mid 17th-century. Screen: under chancel-arch
—of oak and of three bays divided by fluted Ionic
pilasters on W. face supporting a cornice, on the
cornice is a large scrolled and carved centre-piece
flanked by two pierced pinnacles and two flat finials,
each bay of screen with enriched pointed arch having
turned pendants, and strapwork and conventional leaves
in the spandrels; gates with close lower panels and
open arched panels above with an enriched frieze and
iron grilles, early 17th-century, gates rather later. In
middle bay of N. arcade—oak screen (Plate 114) with
pointed arch and pendant similar to chancel-screen,
enriched side-posts with scrolled supports and cornice
supporting scrolled cresting with a crest of a dog, a
fleur-de-lis and pinnacles, early 17th-century. Seating:
In aisles—a number of bench-ends with" fluted enrichments and shell-cresting flanked by modern acornfinials, 17th-century.
The carved pedestal-base of a 15th-century Cross
(Plate 12) said to have been found built into the
chimney of a house at Bishop's Down in this parish is
now in the museum at Sherborne Castle in Castleton
a(2) Folke Manor House (Plate 118), immediately
W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the
walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
The general plan of the house is L-shaped with the
wings extending towards the E. and S. The E. wing
was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century.
The S. wing with its porch and staircase was built
early in the 17th century and at the same period the
W. end of the E. wing was rebuilt and a low N.E. wing
added. This last has been heightened. The external
features of the house are nearly all of 17th-century
or later date; the windows are of one, two or three
lights and most of the larger windows are transomed.
The reset doorway on the E. front has a four-centred
head and above it is a late 15th-century window of
two pointed lights removed from the older E. wing.
The porch, on this side, has a round-headed doorway
in the S. wall with a carved keystone. At the S. end of
the S. wing is a doorway with a four-centred head and
a two-storeyed bay-window; the upper window has
three transomed lights on the face and one on each
return; the lower window has been altered. Inside
the building, the Hall in the S. wing has a 17th-century
fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in
a square head; in the S.W. angle are two doorways
with oak frames and triangular heads. The drawing-room, to the S., is lined with 17th-century panelling
and has a fireplace of the same period; this has moulded
jambs and flat four-centred arch in a square head and is
flanked by fluted stone pilasters supporting a continuous
entablature. The room over has a smaller but similar
fireplace and there are fireplaces with four-centred
heads in other rooms. The 17th-century staircase
(Plate 119) has heavy turned balusters, moulded handrails and square newels carried up as round posts. The
E. wing would appear to have formed the late mediæval
house. On the ground floor the middle part of the
ceiling is rather higher than the rest and presumably
represents the hall; the ceiling-beams are moulded and
form sixteen panels. The slightly lower eastern
part of the wing seems to have been the solar and also
has moulded beams, that between the two portions
has carved paterae towards the former hall and no
doubt formed the head-beam of a partition. The
corresponding beam on the W. of the former hall is
moulded towards the W. and chamfered towards the
E.; this end was presumably the kitchen and a partition is probably that at the back of the former screens;
beyond this the beams are chamfered; a doorway in
the partition has a flat triangular head and is fitted with
an old door. The roof retains five original trusses
with curved braces under the collars; there are curved
wind-braces to the purlins.
Manor House in the Parish of Folke
In a field, N.E. of the house, is a small round Moat
enclosing an island about 25 yards in diameter. Some
ponds and banks suggest that this was a manorial site
before the present one.
a(3) West Hall (Plate 116), ½ m. S.W. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are covered with stone slates. It is of
irregular plan but the main block is L-shaped with the
wings extending towards the N.E. and S.E. The N.E.
wing was built probably in the 15th century when the
property belonged to the Hymerford family. It passed
to the family of Moleyns late in the 16th century and,
early in the 17th century, the S.E. wing with the staircase-wing was built and the Dining Room block added
at the S.W. end of the N.E. wing. Some alterations
were made by Thomas Chafe in 1671 and early in the
18th century the Drawing Room was added next to
the staircase-wing. The house has been restored and
there are extensive modern additions to the N.W.
Apart from later additions the plan and development
of the house is similar to that at Folke Manor House.
The windows generally are of the 17th century and of
one to four lights and mostly with labels. The two
storeyed porch on the N.E. front has an outer entrance
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square
head; the inner doorway has been largely restored.
The 18th-century block, at the S. angle, has windows
with plain architraves and key-blocks. The Dining
Room block has 17th-century mullion and transom
windows; the adjoining narrow wing has two two-light windows with rounded heads to the lights; the
doorway in the main block has a four-centred head.
Inside the building, the hall in the S.E. wing has a
restored fireplace and the recess on one side of it has a
ceiling painted as a sky with clouds etc., probably of
the 17th century; in the windows are some roundels
of 17th-century glass including a shield-of-arms of
Wadham; in the S. angle of the room are two 17th-century stone archways with moulded jambs, round
heads, imposts and key-stones; at the N.W. end of the
room is a restored panelled partition of the same date
and of five bays. In the vestibule at the back is an 18th-century staircase with a cut string and carved brackets;
the walls have panelling of the same date; N.E. of the
staircase is some earlier panelling of the muntin and
plank type. The Ante-room, S.E. of the hall, has a
restored fireplace and is lined with 17th-century
panelling. The 18th-century Drawing Room is lined
with bolection-moulded panelling with a cornice and
dado-rail; the fireplace and doorways have bolection-moulded surrounds; the room behind the fireplace is
lined with plainer panelling. The 17th-century staircase (Plate 119) has turned balusters, moulded rails
and strings and square newels supporting posts to the
flight above; the upper flights have balusters on both
sides of the staircase; the walls of the two lower
flights have plaster cornices and an arcaded frieze
between them. The cellar, below this part of the house,
has an 18th-century brick vault with a central pier and
responds with moulded imposts. The rooms on the
first floor, over the hall etc., have timber-framed
partitions and have some 17th-century doors and
panelling. The room over the Drawing Room has
18th-century panelling similar to that below. The
Dining Room has a reset fireplace with a four-centred
arch resting on moulded corbels; on the E. side is a
moulded bracket. The N.E. wing has some reset
panelling in the passage on the ground floor. On the
first floor are remains of 17th-century partitions and
one room has a bolection-moulded surround to the
fireplace; above it is a plaster achievement-of-arms of
Chafe quartering Moleyns with the date 1671 (Plate
56). The roof of this wing is of the 15th century
and has curved and moulded braces under the collars
and curved and foiled wind-braces to the purlins; two
trusses have later king-posts.
West Hall in the Parish of Folke
The Gardens have brick walls erected in 1717, the
date appearing in black headers. The Outbuilding, N.
of the N.E. wing, is of the 17th century and has a
doorway with a four-centred head and a three-light
window. The modern Stables incorporate a 17th-century two-light window. The Cottage, N. of the
stables was built probably early in the 18th century.
a(4) Font le Roi, house about 1,400 yards N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are tiled. The N.E. wing, now farmbuildings, is of mediæval origin and was built as a gate-house probably in the 15th century. The house, which
adjoins it on the S.W., was built c. 1600, but has been
much altered in the 18th century. The W. front of the
house has two gabled bays of which the northern has
an original three-light window; the southern bay has
a six-light window of which the side lights are blocked;
above it is a three-light window. The entrance-archway has a timber lintel but adjoining it is a 15th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred
head. Inside the building, the S.W. room has an
original plaster ceiling, restored in 1938; it has moulded
ribs forming an elaborate geometrical design, with
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the
walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or
covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams.
a(5) Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 1,200 yards
N.N.E. of the church, in Allweston, has exposed
a(6) Cottage, 70 yards N.E. of (5), is now decayed
a(7–10) Cottages, in Munden's Lane, Allweston, all
with exposed timber-framing.
a(11) Folke Cottage, 250 yards N.N.W. of the church,
has a later extension on the E.
a(12) Cottage, nearly 1 m. E.S.E. of the church, with
b(13–14) Cottages, nearly 1 m. S.E. of the church,
similar to (12).
b(15) Chaffey's Farm, house 1 m. S.E. of the church,
was built early in the 18th century and the front has a
stone with the inscription "R.P., I. Chafy, 1702 M."
b(16) Ryall's Farm, house 200 yards S.E. of (15), has
tiled roofs; there is a modern extension to the west.
The segmental window-heads are 18th-century renewals.
b(17) Densham Farm, house ½ m. S.E. of (15), has a
large addition on the S. On the porch of this addition
is a reset stone with the initials and date N.M.G. 1725.
b(18) Bank, on the S. side of the river Cam 1¼ m.
S.S.E. of the church, extends for about 270 yards and
is 22 ft. wide and 5 ft. high. Its purpose is uncertain.