19 LULWORTH, WEST (8280)
(O.S. 6 ins. SY 88 SW, with inset of part of SY 87 NW)
West Lulworth parish, formerly part of Winfrith
Newburgh, lies 7 m. S.W. of Wareham. It covers
2,593 acres and lies almost entirely on Chalk. Along the
coast there is a strip of Portland limestone, which at one
point has been breached by the sea and the narrow outcrop of the soft Wealden Beds eroded to form the well-known Lulworth Cove. Immediately N. of this the land
rises steeply to Bindon Hill, a narrow ridge of Chalk
rising to over 500 ft. above O.D. Beyond, the land first
falls into a narrow valley in which the village lies and
then rises to a high chalk area between 400 ft. and 500 ft.
above O.D. and extensively cut into by dry valleys
The parish now includes two rectangular blocks of
land, one to the E. of the village round St. Andrew's
Farm, and the other to the N. around Belhuish Farm,
which were detached parts of East Stoke parish until
quite recently. Both farms are the sites of small mediaeval settlements.
Burngate Farm, near which are the remains of Mount
Poynings, the 16th-century seat of Lord Poynings (see
Monument 34), was also a mediaeval settlement, first
recorded in the mid 13th century (Fägersten, 141).
Bindon Abbey was originally founded on the S. side of
Bindon Hill, before it was transferred to Wool. Most
of the S.E. part of the parish is now an army range area.
The principal monument is the extensive earthwork of
Iron Age 'A' date on Bindon Hill.
(1) The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity was
built at the W. end of the village in 1869–70 by J.
Hicks to the designs of G. R. Crickmay. The old church
of the Holy Trinity stood 350 yds. to the E. The
only remains of the old structure are in the N. vestry
of the new church where the 19th-century E. window
has a reused 16th-century rear arch, triangular and
moulded, springing from demi-angels bearing shields,
one charged with a chalice and wafer, the other paly:
on the moulding of the arch is carved a black-letter
inscription 'Robeirtus Lulleworthi'. In the chancel is an
oak Bench with carved framing and panels of the 17th
century extensively restored with new wood. A sketch
of the old church is preserved in the vestry.
The Graveyard of the old church remains on the N.
side of the village street, and the monuments there
include, towards the N.E. corner, a Headstone to
William Willis, 1714, Elizabeth his wife, 1761, and John
their son, 1802.
(2) Little Bindon (830798) is a single-storey building, in part with semi-attics, of stone rubble and with
a tiled roof. The Cistercian abbey of Bindon was
founded here in c. 1150 but removed to a different site
in 1172 (see Wool, Monument 3). The present building
was erected close to the original abbey site in the 13th
century. The E. part formed a chapel, re-roofed c. 1500,
which has been repaired and altered in more modern
times though long disused for ecclesiastical purposes; the
W. part has been modernised as a cottage.
The building is a simple rectangle on plan including chapel
and cottage separated by a stone cross wall. The S.E. and N.W.
corners of the chapel appear to be undisturbed 13th-century
work but the rest has been rebuilt with the addition of later
buttresses. The E. wall is gabled and has a parapet repaired in
modern brickwork rising from reused 12th-century kneelers,
one carved with the bearded and crowned face of a man, the
other with the face of a monster. Reset in the E. wall is a 13th-century lancet window with chamfered jambs and head; the
other windows are of 13th-century lancet shape but all the
dressings are in brick, probably of the 18th century. The doorway to the chapel is original with chamfered jambs and
continuous two-centred head. The ceiling forms a four-centred
plaster barrel vault divided by timber ribs into twelve panels,
probably of c. 1500. Six shields-of-arms at intersections of the
ribs described in Hutchins (I, 441) have been removed; they
had been added by the Welds, who bought the property in
1641, and included their own shield and crest. A piscina S. of
the altar is recorded in Hutchins (ibid.). The cottage retains no
(3) St. Andrew's Farm, house (836811), is of two
storeys with stone walls and tiled roof. It was built on a
long rectangular plan in the 17th century, the eastern
part being perhaps earlier than the western. The central
porch is dated 1759 and there are later additions along
the back. Most of the windows were refitted with
sliding and double-hung sashes in the 18th and 19th
centuries, but a few 17th-century stone-mullioned
The Outbuildings include: Barn, of nine bays with stone
walls and roof carried on jointed-cruck trusses, 17th-century;
Barn, probably late 17th-century, of brick and stone with later
tiled roof; Cottages, of fairly modern construction but incorporating walling of 17th-century brickwork above a stone
(4) Burngate Farm, house (835816), of two storeys
with walls of rubble partly rendered with stucco and
with tiled roofs, comprises two wings built against two
sides of a barn and linked only by a porch. It is of
uncertain date and may include material from Mount
Poynings (Monument 34). The main S.W. block was
completely remodelled in the 19th century, but the wall
thicknesses suggest that it is at least in part of earlier
construction. The N.E. wing has windows, one of
which was formerly a doorway, all framed with reused
16th and 17th-century dressed stonework; inside is a
chamfered ceiling beam also probably reused.
Barn, in the re-entrant angle between the two parts of the
house, is probably of 16th-century origin; the rubble walls
have been largely rebuilt and the roof is entirely modern, but
the lower parts of two jointed cracks remain at and near the
Monuments (5–33) unless otherwise described are
cottages of one storey and attics or two storeys and have
walls of cob or rubble (the numbers of each are about
equal) and thatched roofs; they are of the late 18th or
early 19th century and most are built on a two-room
plan with a central entrance. Only those buildings
differing from this description are mentioned below.
(5) Cottage was built in the 17th century on a small two-room plan and enlarged in the 18th century.
(6) 'Castle' Inn is of the late 18th century with an added
wing at the back.
(8) Cottages, three, are in a range previously containing
only two. The E. cottage is of the 17th century with rubble
walls and central chimney-stack. The W. pair is formed out
of one early 18th-century dwelling with rubble walls.
(11) Cottage has one end wall of 17th-century brickwork
in which are set two terracotta plaques, one showing the
crowned head of Anne Boleyn, the other her badge, a falcon
with wings outspread, crowned and holding a sceptre (see also
Poxwell (3), Outbuildings).
(12) Lulworth Farm, house, has a tiled roof. A wing
projects at the back.
(19) The Old Barn was built in the late 18th century and
has been converted into a dwelling.
(25) Bricklesey Cottage has a central chimney-stack.
(26) Cottages, two, one with only one ground-floor
(27) Cove Cottage is of the mid 18th century. A third
room was added and the walls rendered with stucco in the
(28) Spring Cottage is built of brick and has french windows
and a verandah; c. 1840.
(29) The Dolls' House has timber-framed walls covered
with plaster and a tiled roof. It consists of a front living room
with two bedrooms above and a lean-to scullery behind.
(30) Barn, at Newlands Farm (811810), has walls of rubble
and flint with brick dressings and the roof covered with tiles.
It is of the late 18th century and is said to have been an outlying barn of Hambury House before the present late 19th-century Newlands farmhouse was built.
(31) Barn, at West Down Farm (819815), has a modern
tiled roof and has been enlarged.
(32) Belhuish Barn (827827) has walls of stone and brick
and the roof covered with tiles. It is probably of the early 18th
(33) Belhuish Farm, house (829830), is a T-shaped building.
The N. wing was built in the 17th century and has walls of
cob above a stone plinth, with a chimney at the N. end and
opposed doorways at the S. It was heightened when the main
part of the house was built in the late 19th century.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(34) Mount Poynings (83578176), 1 mile N.E. of Holy
Trinity Church, is the site of a house of that name built by
Thomas, Lord Poynings, probably between 1541–6 (J. Coker
(ed.), Survey of Dorsetshire, 44; Hutchins I, 441); the property
was joined to that of Lulworth Castle (Lulworth, E., 3) in the
early 17th century, but the date of demolition of the house is
uncertain. Earthworks, much disturbed, lying N. and E. of
Burngate Farm (Monument 4) on ground sloping S. and E.
about 400 ft. above O.D., include platforms for structures and,
probably, gardens, but the precise position of the house is not
known (R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821: 2430–1).
Other Earthworks and Allied Monuments
(35–52) Round Barrows, p. 445.
(53) Iron Age Earthworks on Bindon Hill, p. 489.
Ancient Field Groups (15–16), p. 628.