13 CHESELBOURNE (7699)
(O.S. 6 ins. SY 79 NW, SY 79 NE, ST 70 SW, ST 70 SE)
Cheselbourne is a small village in a parish of 2,900
acres, lying entirely on Chalk between 250 ft. and 800
ft. above sea-level. Three nearly parallel streams flow
across the parish in a S.S.E. direction: Lyscombe Brook,
the Cheselbourne and the Devil's Brook. The village
is scattered for over a mile along the banks of the
stream from which it takes its name, the earthwork
remains of former dwellings and closes occurring frequently among the existing cottages and in open land
to the S. of the church. The open fields of the parish
were not finally enclosed until 1845. Lyscombe, formerly a detached part of Milton, is now joined to
Cheselbourne. The parish church of Cheselbourne and
an abandoned chapel at Lyscombe are the principal
(1) The Parish Church of St. Martin stands at
the S. end of the village. The walls are principally of
flint with ashlar dressings and occasional bonding
courses of squared rubble, but the N. aisle, the N.
porch and the top stage of the tower are of coursed
rubble; the roofs are covered with tiles, stone-slates
and lead. The Nave and South Aisle are of the late 13th
century; the arcade appears originally to have consisted
of two pointed arches between wide responds but in
the 15th century the responds were modified and the
aisle was thrown open more fully to the nave. The
Chancel is of the first half of the 14th century. The
West Tower dates from the middle and end of the 15th
century and the chancel arch appears to have been
rebuilt at that time. The North Aisle and the North
Porch were added late in the 15th century. The South
Porch was built c. 1500. The church was restored in
1874 and 1924.
The late 12th-century font and the remains of the
13th-century south arcade are perhaps the most
important features; the church also contains interesting
Architectural Description—The Chancel (17½ ft. by 13½ ft.)
has a widely splayed 14th-century E. window of three gradated
lancet lights with trefoil cusping, with a moulded outer label
and a segmental rear arch; above is a steeply pointed straight-sided rubble relieving arch. In the N. wall are two windows with
a blocked 14th-century doorway between them; the doorway
has a chamfered two-centred head; the more easterly window
is of the late 15th century and has two cinquefoil lights in a
square head below a label with square stops; the other window
is a 14th-century opening of two trefoil ogee-headed lights with
a transom; a rectangular cutting in the W. splay is for a squint
from the N. aisle. The S. wall contains, to the E., a window
similar to the corresponding opening of the N. wall and, to the
W., a 14th-century two-light window with a 15th-century head
similar to that of the adjacent opening; a square-headed squint
from the S. aisle pierces the W. splay. The chancel arch is two-centred and of two hollow-chamfered orders springing from
semi-octagonal responds with concave faces and moulded
capitals and bases.
Cheselbourne, the Parish Church of St. Martin
In the Nave (30½ ft. by 15½ ft.) the N. arcade dates from the
second half of the 15th century and consists of two two-centred
arches, each of two hollow-chamfered orders dying into the wall
at the W. and into a square respond on the E., and springing
from an octagonal central pier with a moulded cap and a hollow-chamfered base; the W. bay is a little wider than that to the E.
Continuing the arcade eastwards and pierced in the wall
abutting the E. respond is an early 16th-century opening with a
lightly chamfered triangular head. In the S. arcade, the central
pier and the narrow pointed arch W. of it date from the end of
the 13th century; the pier is circular, with a moulded capital and
base of Purbeck marble; the adjacent respond to the W. is a
similar half-pier, and the pointed arch is of two plain chamfered
orders. The two-centred E. arch has much greater height and
span than that just described, although the orders are uniform;
presumably an original narrow arch here was enlarged at the
expense of the E. abutment, probably in the middle of the 15th
century. The W. end of the S. arcade has been differently treated;
here the original W. half-pier has been left in position and a
narrow archway has been cut through the abutment behind it.
The arch is two-centred and of two wave-moulded orders
springing from a three-sided E. respond with moulded cap and
chamfered base; to the W., the inner order rests on a grotesque
corbel representing the head and shoulders of a woman in an
exaggerated head-dress (Plate 16); the W. opening was made
probably about the middle of the 15th century.
The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the N. wall, towards the
E. end, a large two-centred window of three cinquefoil-headed
lights with vertical tracery beneath a label with square stops; the
N. doorway has a moulded four-centred head, the mouldings
continuing down the jambs to shaped stops; further W. is a
square-headed window of two cinquefoil ogee-headed lights
under vertical tracery, with a moulded label with return stops;
all these openings are of the late 15th century.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has a late 15th-century E. window
of three cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery in a
segmental-pointed head; the rear arch is hollow-chamfered and
the same moulding continues on the jambs, ending at hollow-chamfered plinths on the window sill. The easternmost window
in the S. wall is also of the late 15th century; it has three cinquefoil-headed lights with squat vertical tracery below a square
head and a moulded label which terminates in male headstops.
The S. doorway, of the same date, has a continuous wavemoulded segmental head and jambs, with shaped stops. At the
W. end of the S. wall is a late 13th-century window of two
trefoil-headed lights with a round trefoil tracery light in a two-centred head; it is chamfered externally and rebated internally.
The West Tower (9¼ ft. by 9 ft.) was built about the middle of
the 15th century and heightened at the end of the same century.
It is of three stages divided by weathered string-courses. At the
base is a chamfered plinth and at the top is an embattled parapet
with gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. The two lower stages
are of flint with stone bonding-courses and quoins; the top
stage is of squared coursed rubble. The two-centred tower-arch
is of two wave-moulded orders, the inner order springing from
three-sided corbels with 16th-century mouldings; in the outer
order the moulding on the E. side continues down the responds, that on the W. side dies into the side walls. The W.
window is of three trefoil-headed lights with large quatrefoil
tracery in a casement-moulded two-centred head, with a four-centred hollow-chamfered rear arch. In the W. wall of the
second stage is a plain single light with a square head, and in
each wall of the third stage is a casement-moulded belfry
window of two trefoil ogee-headed lights, with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head. The lower half of each belfry window is
closed by a pierced stone screen decorated with quatrefoils.
The North Porch (6 ft. by 6½ ft.) is of the late 15th century and
has an archway with a moulded two-centred head and continuous jambs with run-out stops. Stone benches, moulded
underneath, flank the entry. The oak roof is original, with plain
rafters and chamfered plates and ridge-piece. The South Porch
(5½ ft. square) is of the late 15th or early 16th century; it has a
four-centred archway with a moulded head and continuous
jambs with shaped stops.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 3rd by John Wallis, both dated
1618; 2nd by Thomas Roskelly, 1754; 4th, inscribed in blackletter 'Sancta Maria ora pro nobis', probably 15th century and
from Salisbury foundry; 5th, with inscription 'ac non vadi via
nisi dicas ave Maria', mediaeval. Brass and Indent. Brass: In N.
aisle, on E. wall, reset on wood panel, three rectangular plates
from memorial of Hugh Kete, 1589; the largest (11 ins. by 9 ins.)
has a lengthy verse in Roman lettering and, above, a shield-of-arms of Kete quartering Coles of Somerset (with chevron
engrailed), impaling Grove quartering Mansell; brass commissioned by Mat. Grove and engraved by Tho. Wittes; smaller
plates (each 5½ ins. by 4 ins.) display separately the two quarterly
coats of the large plate. Indent: In nave, on floor-slab, indent of
rectangular plate (12½ ins. by 3½ ins.). Chest: In W. tower, with
panelled front and ends, stiles and rails carved with conventional
flower and acanthus patterns, two lock-plates, moulded lid,
early 17th century. Churchyard Cross: N.E. of N. porch, lower
part of 15th-century shaft with moulded angles, set diagonally
on rectangular pedestal with hollow-chamfered plinth; below,
two steps with hollow-chamfered nosing. Communion Table:
with turned legs, plain stretchers, shaped framing and plain top;
mid 17th century, now used as side-table in nave. Font: octagonal
straight-sided Purbeck marble bowl with chamfered under-edge
and two slightly sunk lancet-headed recesses to each face, on
shaped octagonal stem with octagonal chamfered base; sockets
for circular shafts in angles of base; bowl and base c. 1200, stem
perhaps 15th century.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. aisle, (1) of
William Box, rector, 1749, white marble wall-tablet, perhaps
19th century. In churchyard, N. of N. porch, (2) table-tomb,
c. 1600, inscription obliterated. Floor-slabs: In nave, at E. end, (1)
of Richard Basket, rector, 1684, and Ureth his wife, 1707, with
arms of Basket. In N. aisle, (2) of John Keate, 1552, and his wife
Marg[aret], 1554, Purbeck marble slab with black-letter inscription; (3) of Richard Samson, 1799. In S. aisle, (4) of Wm.
Carpenter, 1786. Niches: In S. aisle, in E. wall, shallow recess
with ogee septfoil head, plain shields in spandrels, 15th century.
In N. porch, in E. wall, with cinquefoil head and stop-chamfered
jambs, 15th century. Over N. porch entry, with four-centred
cinquefoil head, chamfered side-standards and pedestal-corbel
carved with leopard's head, 15th century. In S. porch, in E. wall,
with four-centred hollow-chamfered head and continuous
jambs, c. 1500. Piscinae: In chancel, in S. wall, with cinquefoil-headed opening and continuous chamfered jambs, moulded
projecting bowl with hexagonal sinking, 15th century. In S.
aisle, in S. wall, with four-centred head and chamfered jambs,
round bowl with raised rim and fluted sinking, c. 1500. Plate:
includes Elizabethan cup by Lawrence Stratford of Dorchester
and cover-paten with engraved date 1574. Pulpit: octagonal, of
oak, with six panelled sides in two heights with moulded framing, lower panels plain, upper panels fielded and with strapwork,
c. 1630, stone base modern. Screen: In tower arch, of oak, centre
opening and a bay on either side in two heights; lower height
with plain panels, upper height divided into four lights with
hollow-chamfered oak mullions, 16th century, made up with
modern material. Stair: In W. tower, with solid oak steps on two
heavy bearers, supported on modern stone corbel below W.
window; with shaped newel, moulded handrail and plank
fascia, late mediaeval; original steps cased in modern elm treads
and risers. Stoup: In N. porch, in W. wall, rounded recess with
mutilated projecting bowl, mediaeval. Sundials: Above S. porch
arch, rectangular stone slab with Roman numerals, inscribed
HC 1631 WM, with wrought-iron gnomon. On S. wall, scratchdial. Miscellanea: In N. aisle, on sill of E. window, stone panel
carved with achievement-of-arms of Kete, late 16th century
with modern repainting. In N. aisle, on octagonal stone brackets
on E. wall, two small stone putti with Italianate shields, 16th
century. In S. porch, in niche, part of mediaeval gable-cross.
(2) Lyscombe Chapel (73660106), together with a
cottage and a barn, stands in a remote place among the
Downs, midway between Cerne Abbey and Milton
Abbey and nearly 2 m. N.W. of Cheselbourne church
(Plate 130). The walls of the chapel are of flint with bonding-courses and dressings of rubble; there are also some
later brick dressings. Until recently the roofs were
thatched. The Chancel and chancel arch date from the
late 12th century; the Nave was almost entirely rebuilt
in the 15th and late 16th centuries; the chapel probably
became a dwelling in the 17th century and it is now
disused and protected only by a modern iron roof.
The adjacent Cottage is of the early 16th century and
no doubt was for the priest; in the 17th century it was
doubled in size by an addition to the W., and the W.
wall of the addition was repaired and refenestrated at
the end of the 18th or early in the 19th century. The
whole cottage is now derelict and in ruins. The Barn,
some 70 yds. to the S.W., is substantially mediaeval;
it is reported formerly to have borne an inscription
'L S 1638' but this was probably the date of some
Cheselbourne, Lyscombe Chapel & Cottage
The three buildings form a small mediaeval group of
considerable interest, but their history is obscure. Three
and a half hides of land at Lyscombe formed part of the
original endowment of Milton Abbey (see p. 183). The
chapel (dedication unknown) is mentioned in 1311
together with the chapels of Woolland and Whitcombe. (fn. 1) It passed into lay hands when Henry VIII
granted the abbey's possessions to Sir John Tregonwell
Architectural Description—The Chancel (14 ft. by 9¾ ft.) has
walls of flint. The original single-light E. window, with a round
rear-arch and splayed ashlar jambs, was slightly widened in the
13th century and a chamfered trefoil head was inserted. The N.
wall contains an original narrow window with a rebated round
head and splayed reveals, the latter mutilated. In the S. wall the
original window has been enlarged and fitted with a modern
surround. The chancel arch is two-centred and of two plain orders
on the W. side, with the remains of a moulded label; on the E.
side it is flat. The responds have half-round shafts supporting the
inner order, and smaller shafts under the outer order; the caps are
scalloped and have moulded abaci continued as a string on the
W.; the lower part of the N. respond and most of the S. respond
have been destroyed and the capitals have been badly defaced.
Floor beams and a stone stair were inserted in the chancel in the
late 16th or early 17th century. The Nave (21¼ ft. by 9½ ft.) has
walls of flint; the S. wall was rebuilt in the 15th century and the
N. wall late in the 16th century. Part of the chamfered E. jamb
of the S. doorway survives near the ground; above it is a window
of uncertain date, now partly blocked and altered by the insertion
of a second opening. The W. wall is of the late 16th century;
the gable contains a window with chamfered jambs cut from a
single stone; the opening is now square but it retains traces of
two pointed lights and a central mullion. In the lower storey the
W. wall has two 18th-century openings. A floor with stop-chamfered beams was inserted in the nave, as in the chancel.
The Cottage adjacent to the S.W. corner of the chapel is of one
storey with an attic. The E. wall has a boldly projecting chimneybreast, the S. side of which is splayed above first-floor level and
carried on a stone corbel. To the N., the chimney-breast incorporates a stone vice which has, in the E. side, a small loop consisting of a chamfered vertical slit with a circular widening at the
centre; it overlooks the former S. doorway of the chapel. The
other windows and doorways in the E. part of the cottage were
altered and rebuilt in brick late in the 18th or early in the 19th
century. A brick doorway on the N. side has a reset timber
surround, perhaps of the 16th century, with a chamfered triangular head and chamfered jambs. The 17th-century western
part of the S. wall contains a three-light stone-mullioned window.
A scratch-dial occurs near the S.W. corner. The W. wall was
repaired late in the 18th or early in the 19th century; it has two
first-floor windows of this date with four-centred brick heads
and jambs. In the gable are two reset 15th or early 16th-century
fragments; part of a four-centred stone window head with
trefoil-headed lights and a small stone panel with paired ogee-headed openings. Inside, the ground-floor room of the E. part
of the cottage had, until recently, an original open timber ceiling
divided into six panels by deeply chamfered intersecting beams
and plates. To the E. is an open fireplace with a deep cambered
and chamfered bressummer, and chamfered stone jambs with
run-out stops. The entrance to the stone vice is through a
doorway with a wooden lintel and a chamfered stone S. jamb
with a run-out stop; at the head of the stair was a roughly
wrought 16th-century oak door frame with a four-centred head.
The W. part of the cottage has an open fireplace of the late 18th
or early 19th century.
The Barn (92 ft. by 27 ft.) stands 100 yds. S.W. of the chapel;
it is of flint with ashlar quoins and dressings and probably dates
from the 16th century. The long axis lies N.–S. and there is a
gabled transept to E. and W. in the middle of each long wall.
The N. half of the W. side has been rebuilt but the other walls
survive, at least in their lower parts. The S. half of the barn had
a jointed-cruck roof until about 1950, when it collapsed; the
whole structure has now been re-roofed in modern materials.
The original trusses were set at 10½ ft. centres and rose from
ledges about half-way between the floor and the wall-head on the
inner face of the side walls. Externally, the E. and S. walls have
weathered two-stage buttresses of flint and ashlar, those on the
E. side corresponding with the trusses; on the W. the rising
ground obviates the need for buttresses. The gabled S. wall is
pierced by a single slit ventilator outlined in ashlar, with chamfered jambs. The transept doorways, 11 ft. wide, are also of
ashlar and chamfered.
(3) The Old Rectory (76209987), 300 yds. N. of
the church, is two-storied and has walls of knapped
flint banded with stone and brick, with ashlar quoins
and dressings. The tiled roofs have stone-slate verges
and the roof of the porch is entirely stone-slated. The
original building, of the late 16th or early 17th century,
had a plain rectangular plan of three bays, in which
the central doorway led to a through-passage with
one room on each side. About 1800 the original
range was extended E., and a N. wing was added; the
stairs are in the N. wing. Later in the 19th century a
semi-octagonal two-storied porch with a hipped roof
was built in the middle of the S. front, and at the same
time the whole house was restored and the upper
storey was largely rebuilt.
Above its chamfered plinth the S. front has been extensively
refaced; the plat-band over the ground-floor window heads is
probably an insertion; the two-light square-headed first-floor
windows are original but reset, and the three-light ground-floor
windows are modern. The window on the first floor of the porch
is original but reset. The gabled E. and W. end walls have shaped
kneelers, flat copings and chimneystacks at the apex; in the W.
wall each storey has one original stone window of three lights
with square heads and labels. The N. wall of the original range,
where it is not concealed by the 19th-century extension, shows
the remains of other stone windows, now blocked.
Inside, in the E. wall of the original building is a stone fire-place of c. 1600 with a rectangular head and jambs outlined by a
heavy roll-mould; the deep lintel has remains of painted decoration in dark red depicting large fleurs-de-lis; in the N. jamb is
the blocked opening to an oven. The drawing-room, to the W.
of the through-passage, has a fireplace of c. 1600 with moulded
jambs and a square head. A stone lintel over a blocked opening
in the N. wall is crudely carved with a shield, a sun and a mask
with leaves issuing from the mouth; it is perhaps of the 17th
century but reset.
(4) Cheselbourne Manor (75650046), house, a little over
½ m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of
knapped flint with squared rubble bonding courses; the roofs
have been reduced to a low pitch and are covered with modern
slates. The house has an L-shaped plan with a small projecting
stair-bay to the E.; it is of mid 16th-century origin but remodelled
and modernised, and with a late 19th-century addition to the
N. All window openings are modern although of 16th-century
pattern. Inside, the stair-bay contains an original stone vice with
a round newel rising from a chamfered base; the ground-floor
entrance to the vice is a mid 16th-century stone doorway with
a restored four-centred head in a square surround with carved
spandrels; the moulded jambs have hollow-chamfered plinths
and spur stops. A ground-floor fireplace, now rebuilt, retains
traces of original painted decoration in red and black.
(5) Northfield Farm (75980014), is a two-storied house of
cob and thatch, dating from the 17th century. The main range,
facing S.E., has a central doorway which leads to a throughpassage. A chimney-stack emerges from the ridge a little to one
side of the passage and another stack occurs at the apex of the
S.W. gable. The eaves have been raised to accommodate the
first-floor rooms on the S.E. front; on the N.W. side the house
The following 18th and early 19th-century cottages are
dispersed in the village, on both sides of the road, from ¼ m.
S.E. to ½ m. N.W. of the parish church. Unless otherwise
described they have cob walls and thatched roofs and are of two
storeys, or of one storey with dormer-windowed attics—(6) at
76509936; (7) at 76329965 is single-storied, without an attic;
(8) at 76299973; (9) at 76199981 is single-storied, without an
attic; (10) at 76149986; (11) at 76089998; (12) at 76099999,
10 yds. N.E. of the foregoing, has a modern tiled roof; (13) at
76030009; (14) at 76030013 is partly of banded brick and flint;
(15) at 76080018; (16) at 76100020; (17) at 75790020; (18) at
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(19) Settlement Remains (763995, 764994, 765991), formerly
part of Cheselbourne village, lie around the church and also to
the E. of West Farm and to the W. and S. of Waterside Farm.
They consist of rectangular closes up to 80 yds. long and 30 yds.
wide, bounded by low banks; there are no well-defined house
(20) Cultivation Remains. The open fields of the parish
were not finally enclosed until 1845 (Enclosure Award,
D.C.R.O.) but it is clear from the Tithe Map of 1844 that the
final arrangement of seven separate open fields, all W. and N.W.
of the village, was only the last stage in a long process of enclosure and reorganisation. The only remains, four contour strip
lynchets immediately N.W. of the church (761996), lie outside
the area of the open fields.
Roman and Prehistoric
(21) Occupation Debris, Romano-British, consisting of
fragments of roof and flue tiles, was found in the stream bed S.
of Lyscombe Farm (73680092–73710079), (C. Warne, Ancient
Dorset (1872), 85; Dorset Procs. LXX (1948), 60). 'Castels'
mentioned in a charter of 869 A.D. may indicate Roman buildings,
while the name Streetway Lane also suggests Roman origin
(Dorset Procs. LVI (1934), 124–7). For Roman coins in barrows,
see below under Round Barrows.
'Celtic' Fields, see pp. 330–333, Groups (44–48).
Monuments (22–23), Cross-Dykes
Two cross-dykes occur in the N.W. of the parish
at altitudes between 600 ft. and 700 ft., on the spur
which projects S.E. from Lyscombe Hill; they form
part of a series discussed in 'Celtic' Field Group (44)
(see p. 330).
(22) Cross-dyke, comprising two sections, probably connected. The first section (a) runs S.W.–N.E. (72960157–
73070170) for 200 yds., from the crest of the spur on the parish
boundary with Piddletrenthide, down a gentle slope, and ends
well short of the shoulder of the spur. It consists of a main bank
on the S.E. side with a ditch uphill and a slighter bank beyond.
The main bank, 21 ft. across, increases in height downhill from
2 ft. to 10 ft. A later bank straddled by trees runs along its top.
The ditch is 12 ft. wide, flat-bottomed and 2¾ ft. below the bank.
The slighter bank on the N.W. is up to 20 ft. across. A gap near
the centre may be original but the dyke appears to block a
double-lynchet track associated with 'Celtic' fields. The increase
in height of the main bank downhill indicates that it is built on
a 'Celtic' field edge, and a 'Celtic' field continues its line N.E.
to the shoulder of the spur. Air photographs suggest that the
dyke formerly continued S.W. for some 50 yds. and then,
making a right-angled turn N.W., joined the second section
of the dyke (b) (72860160), which runs N.W. for 46 yds.
across the head of a gulley. The bank, which is on the S.W. side,
is 22 ft. wide and 5½ ft. high; the ditch, which is disturbed, is
27 ft. wide at the S.E. and narrows towards the N.W. There is a
gap 24 ft. wide near the S. end.
(23) Cross-dyke, running S.W.–N.E. (73180124–73260137),
some 400 yds. S.E. of (22), across the head of a gulley near the
S.E. end of the spur, is 210 yds. long and has its ditch on the
uphill side, beyond which is a very slight bank, probably a
copse boundary. The bank is 30 ft. across, 8 ft. high on the S.
and 3 ft. high above the ditch, which is 30 ft. across. The line
of the dyke is continued N.E. on a different alignment by a
slight bank on a scarp, while to the S.W. it is continued for
40 yds. as a lynchet with a slight bank on it, then as a scarp for
230 yds. to meet the angle of an enclosure, Piddletrenthide (65),
Monuments (24–39), Round Barrows
Of sixteen round barrows in the parish, Monuments
(24–29) and (30–33) form two small groups on Cheselbourne West Down; the remainder are widely dispersed. Warne opened six barrows on Cheselbourne
Down Hogleaze; they are probably among (24–29).
His first barrow covered several cists cut into the natural
chalk and filled with ashes; two others contained no
interments and were apparently mere cenotaphs; the
remainder yielded only ashes (C.T.D. Pt. 1, No. 9;
Archaeologia XXX (1844), 334). C. Hall opened a small
barrow, Rough Barrow, on Cheselbourne Common
and found three urns, one of which appeared to contain
bird bones (Barrow Diggers, 92); this is probably the
barrow described by Warne (C.T.D. Pt. 3, No. 97) in
which two urns were found in cists cut into the natural
chalk and a coin of Diocletian was found just under the
surface at the summit of the mound. A further barrow,
destroyed in 1865, lay on the spur E. of Bramblecombe
Farm. Some ten or twelve cinerary urns, some inverted,
including one globular, were recovered from 'rude
cists of flint' on the W. side of the mound. In addition,
six coins (Domitian to Tetricus I) were found. An
earlier cutting through the centre of the mound,
probably by C. Hall, appears to have been unproductive
(Hutchins IV, 352; Arch. J. CXIX (1962), 57).
Cheselbourne West Down Group 1 comprises six barrows which
lie between 300 ft. and 400 ft. O.D., on a S.W. slope above a dry
valley in the extreme S.W. of the parish. All have been reduced
(24) Bowl (74019850), at the foot of a slope; much ploughed;
diam. about 60 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(25) Bowl (74049862), 135 yds. N.N.E. of (24), is now only an
irregular mound cut away by ploughing; diam. about 30 ft.,
ht. 2½ ft.
(26) Bowl (74109865), 70 yds. N.E. of (25), is heavily
ploughed; diam. about 30 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(27) Bowl (74039872), 110 yds. N.W. of (26); diam. 36 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.
(28) Barrow ? (74159887), 215 yds. N.E. of (27); much
ploughed and somewhat irregular; diam. about 20 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(29) Barrow ? (74189886), 40 yds. E.S.E. of (28), is of similar
form and dimensions to the foregoing.
Cheselbourne West Down Group 2 consists of the following four
barrows which lie in arable on the spine of a ridge between
350 ft. and 400 ft. O.D., less than ½ m. N. of the previous group.
(30) Bowl (73969937), near the Piddletrenthide boundary,
600 yds. N.W. of (28); damaged by ploughing; diam. 56 ft.,
ht. 5 ft.
(31) Bowl (73869947), 155 yds. N.W. of (30); much damaged
by ploughing; diam. about 42 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(32) Bowl (73899947), 30 yds. E. of (31); a large hollow in the
centre, full of flints, is probably the result of excavation; diam.
51 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(33) Bowl (73949956), 100 yds. N.E. of (32), is surmounted by
a cylindrical stone column nearly 5 ft. high and probably of
comparatively recent origin; there is a hollow in the centre of
barrow; diam. 67 ft., ht. 6 ft.
(34) Bowl (74529999), 500 yds. S.E. of Kingcombe Farm on
the W. slope of a ridge; much ploughed; diam. about 65 ft.,
ht. 1½ ft.
(35) Bowl (74549999), 25 yds E. of (34), is of similar dimensions, and contiguous with it; these two barrows lie at the
angle of a 'Celtic' field.
(36) Bowl (73500031), 700 yds. W.N.W. of Kingcombe Farm
on ground sloping S. and E., lies at the angle of a 'Celtic' field
now almost destroyed by ploughing; diam. 50 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(37) Bowl (73460273), on Lyscombe Hill at the extreme N. of
Cheselbourne parish, is thickly overgrown but appears to be
joined to (38); diam. about 38 ft., ht. 5½ ft.
(38) Bowl (73470273), adjoining (37), with centre dug into;
diam. 36 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(39) Barrow ? (77990039), 750 yds. S.E. of Bramblecombe
Farm at about 400 ft. O.D., on a W.-facing slope, lies at the
angle of a 'Celtic' field and has been much ploughed; diam.
about 85 ft., ht. 2½ ft.
(40) Enclosure (75209860), now visible only as a crop mark
on air photographs, lies across the parish boundary with Dewlish,
at the head of a small valley (Plate 131). It is about 5 acres in area,
roughly circular, and bounded by a ditch about 5 ft. across. No
entrances or internal features are visible. It is probably Iron Age
in date though a large concentration of Roman pottery has been
found 300 yds. due E. (see Dewlish (10)). There is no demonstrable relationship between the enclosure and the adjacent
'Celtic' fields (Group 45).
The 'Earthworks' on Henning Hill, shown on O.S. maps
(758012), are almost certainly remains of hollow-ways on a road
line passing N.W. from the valley of the Devil's Brook to that
of the Cheselbourne (see diagram on p. 320).