25 IBBERTON (7807)
(O.S. 6 ins. ST 70 NE, ST 80 NW)
The parish extends over nearly 1,400 acres and
straddles the main Chalk escarpment which at this
point stands 300 ft. high. The E. half of the area is a
broad dry valley draining E. down the dip-slope of the
Chalk from 700 ft. to 500 ft. above sea-level. The W.
half, below the escarpment, undulates gently between
300 ft. and 400 ft. on Gault and Kimmeridge Clay.
The village lies on the spring line at the foot of the
escarpment, at the junction of the Greensand and Gault.
Marsh Farm and Leigh Farm seem to be secondary
settlements; the former is first recorded in the 14th
century. (fn. 1)
(1) The Parish Church of St. Eustace stands
above the village, on the steep hillside to the S. It has
walls of banded rubble and flint, with ashlar dressings,
except for the tower which is of squared rubble and
ashlar; the roofs are tiled. The building was in an
advanced state of decay at the end of the 19th century
and extensive restorations were effected c. 1903, but
the main fabric is of the middle of the 15th century.
It consisted originally of a Chancel and Nave; the North
Chapel and the West Tower were early additions, and
the nave arcade and the North Aisle were built in the
first half of the 16th century.
Ibberton, the Parish Church of St. Eustace
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16½ ft. by 13½ ft.)
has a 15th-century E. window of three cinquefoil-headed lights
with outer casement mouldings; it was originally square-headed
but was provided with a pointed head and intersecting tracery
c. 1903, the original square head being retained as a transom. In
the N. wall is a two-bay arcade to the N. chapel; the two-centred
arches have been retooled but the masonry is substantially of the
15th century. The arches consist of two ogee-moulded orders
separated by a hollow-chamfer which continues on the responds
and central column. The inner order is carried on attached shafts
while the outer orders have shafts on the column but continue
as ogees on the responds; the shafts have plain conical caps and
polygonal bases. In the S. wall are two square-headed windows,
each of two cinquefoil-headed lights with hood-moulds; that
to the E. has a segmental rear arch and a sill about 1 ft. higher
than that to the W. The chancel arch is of c. 1903.
The North Chapel (17 ft. by 10 ft.) has a gabled E. wall
continuous with that of the chancel; in it is a restored three-light
E. window similar to that of the chancel, but square-headed.
The N. wall, rebuilt c. 1903, includes a reset late 15th-century
doorway with a four-centred hollow-chamfered and casementmoulded head, continuous jambs and a square label. On the W.
side of the chapel an archway of c. 1903 leads into the N. aisle.
The Nave (32¾ ft. by 16½ ft.) has, on the N. side, a 16th-century
arcade of two bays augmented to the E. by a small modern
archway cut through the respond. The arcade has segmental-pointed arches composed of two chamfered orders. The same
orders continue in the form of polygonal shafts with chamfered
and wave-moulded capitals on the E. respond and central column,
but the W. respond, which is formed from the original N. wall,
has the outer chamfer of the arch repeated on its S. face only;
a wave-moulded corbel supports the inner order. W. of the
arcade the N. wall is pierced by a square-headed 15th-century
window of two cinquefoil lights with a square label with headstops: to the E. a woman wearing a head-dress, to the W. a man
in a cap. The S. wall of the nave has a square-headed window of
two cinquefoil lights on each side of the doorway; that to the
E. has an ogee-moulded external surround while that to the W.
has casement mouldings; both windows have restored labels
with square stops. The S. doorway has a two-centred chamfered
head with continuous jambs and a hollow-chamfered segmental-pointed rear arch.
In the North Aisle (22¾ ft. by 8½ ft.) the lower courses of the
N. wall are built with heavy ashlar blocks, forming a chamfered
plinth. A modern two-stage buttress marks the junction of the
aisle and the N. chapel. In the E. part of the aisle wall is a reset
15th-century window of two cinquefoil-headed lights in a
square-headed casement-moulded surround, with no label. Near
the middle is another reset 15th-century window of three
cinquefoil ogee-headed lights with a chamfered square-headed
surround with no label; this window is said to come from Milton
Abbey. Further W. is a 17th-century window of three square-headed lights. The gabled W. wall of the N. aisle has no openings.
The West Tower (9¼ ft. by 8½ ft.) is of two stages with an
embattled parapet. At the base is a moulded plinth; the stages
are divided by a weathered string-course and the parapet has a
roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered string-course. The stringcourses continue around the vice turret, which has three main
stages; it stands at the N.E. corner and its embattled parapet is
slightly higher than that of the tower. The lower stage of the
tower has diagonal N.W. and S.W. buttresses of three weathered
stages, and a similar square-set buttress at the S.E. corner.
The tower arch is two-centred and of two wave-moulded orders;
the outer moulding continues on the responds and ends in
shaped stops; the inner moulding dies into the responds at the
springing. The vice doorway has a chamfered segmental-pointed head. The W. doorway has a casement-moulded
segmental-pointed head with continuous jambs and a segmental-pointed rear-arch. Above it, the W. window has three cinquefoil-headed lights under a two-centred head with vertical tracery,
a casement-moulded surround and a hollow-chamfered hood-mould; the rear-arch is two-centred and hollow-chamfered.
In the upper stage of the tower each side has a belfry window
of two cinquefoil-headed lights under a square head and label.
The South Porch is largely rebuilt, but the two-centred hollow-chamfered arch with continuous jambs has original plinths and
includes portions of original voussoirs, one scratched '1636'.
Fittings—Bells: four; treble inscribed 'Joseph Daubeny Esqr.
1799, Thomas Mears of London fecit'; 2nd inscribed 'TP. RR.
TA. cw. ANNO DOMINI 1656'; 3rd inscribed 'Richard Rogens,
Allen Hayne, Churchwardens, 1641, W.P.'; tenor by James Wells
of Aldebourne, 1813. Book: Chained, leather-bound book of
homilies, 1673. Brass: In floor near N. respond of chancel arch,
to Joseph D'aubeny, 1817. Chair: In chancel, with turned legs,
shaped arms, carved back panel and frame, 17th century.
Coffin Stools: Two, with beaded uprights and stiles, late 18th
century. Communion Table: In N. Chapel, with turned legs and
fluted front and side rails, early 17th century; top modern. Font:
Octagonal stone bowl with vertical sides, and chamfered and
undercut mouldings below, each side with a trefoil-headed
panel, much worn, on octagonal stem and moulded octagonal
base; 15th century. Glass: In chancel, in E. window, reassembled
fragments and two roundels; in S. window, shield-of-arms
of Milton Abbey (Plate 144), with letters I and T in border,
perhaps for John Towninge, rector 1452–1478, and in cusping,
a rose and a sun. In N. aisle, in N.E. window, oval panel
of strapwork enclosing shield with Tudor rose and letters E.R.,
16th century; in adjacent light, larger panel displaying royal
achievement-of-arms of Elizabeth I, 16th century (Plate 44); in
N.W. window, three quarries, one inscribed 1588, one with
three battle-axes, one with a shield with three stars, probably late
16th century. In nave, in N. window, crowns, roses and other
fragments; in S.W. window, a sun; probably 15th or 16th
century. In tower, in W. window, tracery lights with tops of
scrolls, probably 15th or 16th century.
Monuments: In chancel, on S. wall, (1) of Richard Daubeney,
rector, 1802, wall-tablet of variegated marbles with pediment.
In N. chapel, on N. wall, (2) of Richard Applin, 1792, marble
tablet; (3) of Richard Seymer, 1785, marble tablet; (4) of Mary
Galton, 1758, marble wall monument with vase in broken
pediment, and cherub-head on shaped apron, also later inscription commemorating donor, C. Elswood, 1774, rector. In nave,
on S. wall, (5) of Elizabeth Davis, 1842, marble tablet by 'Patent
Works, Esher St. West'r'. Piscina: On S. side of chancel, with
cinquefoil cusping in hollow-chamfered two-centred head with
continuous jambs and broach stops, three-sided projection to
bowl; 15th century. Plate: includes a heavy and plain silver cup
with straight-sided conical bowl and tapering stem on domed
base; date-letters of 1632, churchwardens' initials and date 1686.
Royal Arms: Above E. window of N. chapel, arms of George III
on shaped panel inscribed 'Jos. D'aubeny Esqr. 1801'. Screen: In
tower arch, early 17th-century panelled oak screen, 6 ft. high,
in three heights; upper height comprising turned balustrade.
Tables of Decalogue: In tower, incised on two stone panels, late
18th or early 19th century. Tiles: In pavement of S. porch, slip
tiles with various patterns, much abraded; 15th century.
(2) The Manor House (78940774), 200 yds. N. of
the church, is a mid 17th-century farmhouse of two
storeys with walls of banded flint and ashlar and a
modern slated roof. The plan consists of one room on
each side of a central entrance passage, with a service
wing behind; the fireplaces are in the end walls. A 19th-century addition, recently refaced, extends the original
The original S. front is of three bays, having a doorway
flanked symmetrically by four-light casement windows with
square heads and hollow-chamfered stone surrounds, and three
similar three-light windows above. The central doorway has a
hollow-chamfered and ogee-moulded four-centred head, continuous jambs and roll stops; it is sheltered by a gabled ashlar
and rubble porch with a round-headed archway. A reset stone
in the porch bears the dates 1666 and 1686. The E. wall of the
house is banded like the S. front but the chimney-stack on the
gable has been rebuilt in brick; the original W. wall is hidden
by the 19th-century extension. The 17th-century nail-studded
front door is of two layers of oak planks, vertical outside and
horizontal inside, hung on wrought-iron strap-hinges. The
central passage is separated from the ground-floor rooms by
plank-and-muntin partitions with chamfered bottom rails and
moulded top rails. The ground and first-floor rooms in the
original range have ceiling beams with double roll-mouldings.
One room has 18th-century fielded panelling.
(3) Cottage, 50 yds. W. of (2), is of rubble, mainly rendered,
and has two storeys and a thatched roof; it is of 17th-century
origin but has been extensively restored. The doorway and one
casement window in the N.E. front retain original chamfered
oak surrounds. The entrance passage is flanked by plank-and-muntin partitions.
(4) Barn (78760796), 300 yds. N.W. of (2), is of banded flint
and rubble and dates from the late 17th or early 18th century.
(5) Cottages, range of four (78770778), with walls of rubble
and brick and with thatched roofs, are of 18th-century origin.
They were formerly single-storied with attics but an upper
storey was added, probably in the 19th century. (Demolished.)
(6) Inn (78780777), originally two cottages, is of the early
19th century but incorporates a late 17th-century door, of elm
planks in two thicknesses fastened together with wrought-iron
(7) Cottage (78740780) is of brick in two storeys with a
thatched roof and dates from the late 18th century. The
symmetrical three-bay E. front has a recessed panel over the
doorway and blue-brick chaînage at each corner.
(8) Cottage, 100 yds. N. of (7), of one storey with an attic,
is of the 18th century.
(9) Cottages, pair, at Leigh Farm (78370869), are onestoried with dormer-windowed attics and have rendered rubble
walls and thatched roofs; they date from the middle of the 18th
century but the upper floors have been rebuilt.
Early 19th-century monuments in the parish include the house
at Leigh Farm (78390871) and three two-storied cottages with
brick walls and thatched roofs, dispersed in the village.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(10) Cultivation Remains. Nothing is known about the
open fields of the parish but, upon the evidence of the remains
of strip fields, indented modern field boundaries and the situation
of apparently secondary settlements, they must have been in two
separate areas. Some lay around the village, at the foot of and
on the Chalk scarp, while others were on the dip-slope in
Coombe Bottom a mile to the S.E.
On the steep Chalk scarp immediately N.E. of the church a
group of eight contour strip lynchets covers about 22 acres
(791077). Originally the strips were up to 400 yds. long with risers
up to 18 ft. high, but extensive alterations were made to the
group before 1840, as a result of enclosure. Two of the fields,
'Cross Lands' on the Tithe Map of 1840, are laid out across the
risers of the original strips, and subsequent ploughing in these
fields has produced secondary risers cutting obliquely across the
older treads. Some 500 yds. S.E. of the church, also on the
scarp slope, further contour strip lynchets overlie 'Celtic' fields
(see Group 54).
In Coombe Bottom (801071 and 804071) at least five fragmentary contour strip lynchets lie within an area which, to
judge by the shape of the existing boundaries, was once an open
fields. N. and N.W. of these, on the steep hill-side (803074), are
very slight contour strip lynchets with low risers, apparently
outside the permanent open fields.
Roman and Prehistoric
(11) Settlement, Romano-British, on South Down
(80530692), has been destroyed by ploughing. It lay at 625 ft.
above O.D., overlooking a dry valley, on the N. shoulder of a
spur dropping eastward from the main Chalk escarpment. The
site, already ploughed when investigated, included a small group
of platforms, three certain and two probable, levelled into the
slope; they measured about 20 ft. across and were backed by
curving scarps. About 90 yds. E. of the platforms and probably
associated with them was a small enclosure of 1/8 acre, with four
unequal sides, rounded corners and an entrance on the S. It was
defined by a low bank up to 2 ft. high and 15 ft. across, with an
external ditch, most clearly marked on the S. Coarse Romano-British pottery and a few samian fragments were found in the
platforms but none was found in the enclosure. 'Celtic' fields
which surround the settlement site are directly related to the
'Celtic' Fields, see p. 339, Group (54).
(12), (13) Cross-Dykes, two, lie across the ridge top at the
summit of the Chalk escarpment. The first runs W.N.W.—E.S.E.
(78800643–79080638) slightly obliquely across the ridge between
Chitcombe Down and a combe to the E. It is univallate and
about 325 yds. long, with a ditch on the S. side, but it is now
almost completely ploughed out. At the E. end, about 30 yds.
remain; the low bank is 20 ft. across and the ditch is 15 ft. across
and 1 ft. deep. A possible break N. of centre is suggested by air
photographs (R.A.F. CPE/UK 1934 2172–3).
The second dyke, 1 m. N.E. of the first, runs N.W. to S.E.
(79590807–79760787) at about 800 ft. above O.D. across the
ridge top, on ground falling S.W. from Bell Hill; the dyke faces
the higher ground to the N.E. It is about 315 yds. long, with
a bank some 22 ft. across and 3 ft. to 4 ft. high, and a ditch of
about the same width and depth. Except towards the ends, a low
counterscarp bank is visible; it is nowhere more than 1 ft. high
and 5 ft. wide. There are three differently aligned lengths; at
the N.W. end, where the dyke runs out on the steepening slope,
a length of 165 yds. extends S.E.; a central length of about 33
yds. is aligned N.—S.; to the S. is a length of some 116 yds.
running N.N.W.—S.S.E. and fading out on the well-marked
shoulder of a S.—facing slope, along which runs a track. The
abrupt change of alignment where the present ridgeway track
passes obliquely through the central length suggests an original
entrance. The parish boundary with Okeford Fitzpaine is
marked by a bank about 3 ft. wide and 1 ft. to 2 ft. high which
runs along the ditch of the N. length, and continues down the
(14) Barrow ? (79200723), on Ibberton Hill at about 750 ft.
above O.D., on a N.W. slope near the spine of a ridge, is now
roughly D-shaped on plan, probably owing to destruction by a
trackway on the S.E. There appears to have been digging at the
centre. Diam. (S.W.—N.E.) 54 ft., ht. 3½ ft.