33 MILBORNE ST. ANDREW (8097)
(O.S. 6 ins. SY 79 NE, SY 89 NW)
Milborne St. Andrew, covering 2,600 acres, lies
entirely on Chalk and is drained by the Milborne Brook,
which flows from N. to S. through the middle of the
parish. The S.E. part, called Milborne Stileham, was
formerly part of Bere Regis; ecclesiastically it was
united with St. Andrew at the end of the 19th century,
but the two districts remained separate civil parishes
The history of settlement is complex and obscure.
The former St. Andrew's parish probably comprises two
distinct original settlements, Deverel and St. Andrew,
located respectively N. and S. of the road from Blandford to Dorchester, the former on both sides of the
brook, the latter on the W. side only; Stileham may
also have originated as two separate settlements. Traces
of the former settlements are found to the N.W., N.E.
and S. of the present village; their outlying closes were
abandoned as habitation tended to coalesce into a single
village at the point where the road crosses the brook.
The most important monument in the parish is
Weatherby Castle, an Iron Age Hill-fort with multiple
defences; Deverel Barrow is notable for the important
discoveries made there in the 19th century although
little of it survives today. The parish church has a
notable 12th-century doorway.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Andrew stands in
the S. of the village. The walls are of flint and stone with
ashlar dressings; the roofs are tiled. The Nave dates from
about the middle of the 12th century; it has a fine S.
doorway of that date, and a contemporary chancel arch,
now reset in the N. Vestry. The E. window of the
chancel is of the early 13th century, but it has been
restored and reset, the Chancel having been to a very
large extent rebuilt in 1876 (faculty petition, Salisbury
Diocesan Archives). The South Porch and the West
Tower are of the late 15th century. The North Transept
was built in 1855 (faculty, loc. cit.) and the North Aisle
and North Vestry were added in 1876.
The church is noteworthy for the S. doorway, the
font and the former chancel arch, all of which date from
the 12th century; there is also a small 15th-century
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22½ ft. by 15½ ft.)
has a reset 13th-century E. window of three gradated lancet
lights with labels and head-stops, and internal shafts with
moulded capitals; the rear-arch is of 1876. The N. wall has two
19th-century archways and the S. wall has two windows of the
same period, but the masonry below the window sills is partly
mediaeval. The chancel arch is of 1876. The original chancel
arch, reset in the W. wall of the N. Vestry and partly restored,
has a two-centred head, of one moulded order with chevron
ornament on the W. face; each respond has two angle shafts
with moulded bases, carved and scalloped caps, and moulded
and enriched abaci. The Nave (38 ft. by 19½ ft.) has a 19th-century
N. arcade. In the S. wall are two windows; that to the E. is of
the early 16th century, with three four-centred lights in a square-headed casement-moulded surround with a moulded label and
square stops; that to the W. is of 1876. The S. doorway (Plate
10), of the mid 12th century with some restoration, has shafted
jambs with carved caps and vertical bands of chevron ornament
flanking the shafts; the arch is of one semicircular order with
chevron ornament and has a label with nail-head enrichment;
below is a segmental tympanum arch, also with chevron
ornament. The doorway is of white Purbeck stone except for
the shafts and alternate voussoirs, which are of Ham Hill stone.
The West Tower (10 ft. by 7 ft.) is of two stages, with diagonal
buttresses of three weathered stages in the lower stage only; the
plinth is hollow-chamfered, the stages of the tower are divided
by a weathered string-course and at the top, above a weathered
and hollow-chamfered string-course, is an embattled parapet
with weathered coping. The tower arch is two-centred and of
two wave-moulded orders; the inner order dies into the responds
at the springing and the outer order continues on the responds.
The vice turret, on the N., is polygonal and has string-courses
continuous with those of the tower; the vice doorway has a
hollow-chamfered segmental-pointed head with continuous
jambs and broach stops; the vice is lit by three chamfered loops.
The W. window, in the lower stage, is of 1876. High up in the
S. side of the lower stage is a window of one light with a
segmental head. In the upper stage, the bell-chamber has in each
wall a window of two cinquefoil-headed two-centred lights
with vertical tracery under a two-centred head with a label.
The South Porch is of the late 15th century and has an archway
with a moulded two-centred head and continuous jambs.
Milborne St. Andrew, the Parish Church of St. Andrew
The nave has a 15th-century wagon Roof with seven archbraced transverse members moulded on the underside and three
similarly moulded longitudinal members, forming six bays,
each of four panels; the former plaster background has been
removed and the moulded members have been restored. At the
intersections of the moulded members are 15th-century wooden
bosses with foliate enrichment, some with colour. The embattled
wall-plate cornice is of 1876.
Fittings—Bells: five, 1st by John Wallis, inscribed 'Cal upon
God, I.W., 1622', 2nd inscribed 'Anno Domini 1616, E.G.H.',
others recast or modern. Brass and Indents: see monument (1).
Candelabrum: In N. aisle, of brass, with large lower ball, four,
originally six, scrolled radial sconce brackets, two small upper
balls with radial scrolls, and dove finial at top; lower ball
inscribed 'Given to the parish church of Milborne St. Andrews
by John Gould Esqr. anno dom. 1712', with arms of Gould
impaling Jewe; fitting hangs from roof on twisted iron rods
hooked and linked together. Chairs: In chancel, two; one
with turned front legs, shaped arms and panelled back with
cresting carved with fleur-de-lis and date 1670; another with
turned front legs, shaped arms, panelled and enriched back with
semicircular carved cresting, late 17th century. Communion
Table: In vestry, with turned legs and moulded rails, late 17th
or early 18th century. Font: In N. aisle, of tub form, with heavy
roll moulding at top flanked by two bands of cable ornament,
vertical scallop ornament at base, 12th century; ogee-moulded
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel, reset on
N. wall, (1) of John Morton, 1527, small canopied mural
table-tomb of Purbeck marble, tomb-chest with cusped
quatrefoil panels enclosing blank shields and alternating with
narrow cinquefoil-headed panels; on top slab, indent for small
brass figure; canopy supported on octagonal shafts with concave
sides, joined to back wall by Purbeck marble side screens
with trefoil-headed panelling in two heights; soffit of canopy
with curvilinear tracery; in front of canopy, moulded flat
arch with rounded springings; above, enriched cornice and
blind brattishing; on back wall of recess, brass plate (20 ins. by
3½ ins.) with inscription in raised black-letter 'Here lieth John
Morton Esquyer son of Richard Morton and Luce his wife,
which John decessed the xxvi day of January, the xviii yere of ye
rayne of King Henry the viii on whose soul Jh'u have m'cy.';
also indents for brasses of kneeling figures of man and wife,
group of children, scrolls, Trinity, square centre plate, and four
shields. In vestry, on E. wall, (2) of Edmund Pleydell, 1726,
marble tablet with Roman Doric side-columns, pediment and
cartouche-of-arms; (3) of John Morton Stuart, 1840 and James
William Stuart, 1850, marble tablet; (4) of Mary Sophia
(Pleydell), wife of Rev. George Frome, 1827, oval marble tablet
with representation of sarcophagus and palm tree in relief, by
J. Harris, Bath; (5) of Anne (Luttrell) Pleydell, 1820, tablet;
(6) of Edmund Morton Pleydell, 1754, and his wife Deborah,
1740, marble tablet with Ionic side-columns, vases and cartouche-of-arms. In vestry on N. wall, (7) of Archibald Stuart, 1832, and
Cornelia his wife, 1830, marble tablet with crest, by Reeves of
Bath; (8) of Rev. George Gray Stuart, 1835, marble tablet by
Marshall of Blandford; (9) of Sir John Morton, 1698, erected by
Elizabeth (Culme) his wife, white and grey marble wall-monument with Corinthian side-columns, broken pediment, vase,
cherubs and achievement-of-arms of Morton impaling Culme.
In vestry, on W. wall, (10) of Cornelia Pleydell, 1844, tablet; (11)
of Anne, 1799, Edmund, 1811, and Marcia Pleydell, 1816,
marble tablet; (12) of William Morton Pleydell, 1824, marble
tablet with arms. In nave, on W. wall, (13) of Edmund Morton
Pleydell, 1794, marble wall-monument with urns, sarcophagus
and arms; (14) of John Morton Pleydell, 1705, white marble
tablet with carved side-pilasters, cornice, broken pediment and
arms of Pleydell quartering Morton; on S. wall, (15) of Elizabeth
Margaretta, 1825, and Edmund Morton Pleydell, 1835, oval
marble tablet with wreath enrichment, small sarcophagus and
arms, by Tyler of Bristol. In tower, on N. wall, (16) of Richard
Comyns Cole, 1838, marble tablet with arms; (17) of John Cole,
1790, Rachel (Freke) his wife, 1772, and eight children, marble
tablet with arms, by E. Coffin, London; on S. wall, (18) of
Judeth (Cole) Gould, 1684, stone and slate wall-monument with
carved apron and scroll-work, restored 1839. In churchyard,
leaning against S.E. corner of chancel, (19) of Joseph Samplon,
1706, headstone; 10 paces S.W. of tower, (20) of John Holway,
1690, headstone; (21) of Roger …, 1703, headstone. Floor-slab:
In vestry, of Elizabeth (Culme) Morton, 1705, polished black
marble slab with Latin inscription and arms of Morton impaling
Piscina: In chancel, reset in S. wall, with restored trefoil head,
chamfered jambs and circular basin with drain, 13th-century.
Royal Arms: In N. aisle, in wooden surround, painted arms of
George III. Sundials: Over archway of S. porch, square raised
panel; on S.E. angle of nave, scratch-dial. Miscellanea: In nave,
hanging from wall-plate cornices, six wooden cartouches with
enriched surrounds, late 17th or early 18th century, with arms
as follows: N. side, (i) Morton with baronet's inescutcheon
impaling Fountain, (ii) Morton impaling Holloway, (iii) Morton
with baronet's inescutcheon impaling Culme; S. side (i) Morton
with baronet's inescutcheon, (ii) Morton, (iii) Morton impaling
another coat, probably Hopton wrongly coloured. Loose in
tower, similar cartouche-of-arms of Morton impaling De la
Lynde; also small carved helm. On lead roof of tower, inscription, 'John Roberts, C.W., 1768'.
(2) Obelisk (80709629), on Weatherby Castle mound,
¾ m. S.E. of the church, is of brick with ashlar dressings
(Plate 67). At the base is a rectangular brick plinth with
ashlar quoins and a moulded ashlar capping. The
tapering shaft is wholly of brick. At the summit are
three courses of ashlar, profiled to form a pedestal for a
ball finial of copper. A stone in the plinth is inscribed
'EMP 1761', presumably for Edmund Morton Pleydell.
(3) Manor Farm (80249714), house, 300 yds. S.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics and has walls
partly of brick and partly rendered, and roofs which are
tiled in the upper part and stone-slated below. The plan
is a half-H with the recess turned westwards. Hutchins
(II, 598), referring to Milborne House, the seat of the
Morton and Morton Pleydell family from the 15th to
the 19th century, describes and illustrates a three-storied stone-fronted mansion, probably of the first half
of the 17th century, with its main front turned S., as is
shown by the stretch of water in front, the bed of which
still remains. This house was improved and repaired in
1729 and was dismantled in 1802. The present farmhouse stands on the site of Milborne House and probably
incorporates part of it.
The present S. front is rendered and of three bays, with a
central doorway, sashed windows on either side and three
corresponding openings on the first floor; it appears to be of
the early 19th century. A plat-band occurs between the storeys.
On the W. front the recessed three-bay central part has a
central doorway with a moulded stone architrave of the early
18th century, masked by a later ground-floor addition; on the
first floor are modern casement windows. The projecting wings
to N. and S. have single W. windows on the ground floor only.
On the E. front the first-floor windows have early 18th-century
two-light casements with wooden frames and mullions. In the
middle of the E. front, a projecting external chimney-breast
supports a square brick chimney-stack with panelled sides; a
similar stack rises from the ridge of the N. wing; these stacks
are probably of the 18th century. The interior of the house appears
to be entirely of the early 19th century and later, except for
some 18th-century chamfered ceiling beams, possibly reused.
Ashlar Gate Piers (80189727), 100 yds. N.W. of the house, are
probably of the late 17th century and have rusticated shafts with
moulded plinths and cornices. To N. and E. of the house are
extensive 18th-century Walled Gardens and to the S.E. is a
17th-century Barn with brick walls and a tiled roof.
(4) Cottage (80339729), 250 yds. E. of the church, has cob
walls and a thatched roof; it is of one storey with an attic and
is probably of the late 16th or early 17th century. The ground
floor has two rooms with a later extension to the E. The W.
room is heated by a very large fireplace in the W. gable wall.
A chamfered ceiling beam in the E. room extends over the E.
(5) Cottage (80179764), 260 yds. N. of the church, is two-storied and has cob walls above a brick and flint plinth, and a
thatched roof. It is probably of the late 16th or early 17th
century. The original plan was a row of three rooms facing E.,
the middle room being heated by a large fireplace on the S.
Against the S. side of the chimney-stack is another fireplace,
smaller than the first, perhaps secondary, and with an 18th-century marble surround; to the W. of the chimney-breast is
a winding stair. The unheated N. room is separated from the
middle room by a plank-and-muntin partition, perhaps reset.
A fourth room at the N. end of the range is certainly later and
was probably added when the original cottage became two
(6) Coles Farm (80329812), house, ½ m. N. of the church,
is two-storied with cob walls above a flint plinth, and thatched
roofs; it is probably of the middle of the 17th century. The plan
of the original range is similar to that of (5) and has the same
orientation; a large chimney-stack serves the S. and middle
rooms of a three-room range while the N. room remains unheated. At an early date and perhaps still in the 17th century a
ground-floor room was added to the E. of the middle room.
Rooms added to the N. end of the range and to the W. side
of the S. room are probably of the early 19th century. The
original S. end wall together with the side of the last named
addition now composes a 19th-century S. façade. A Barn 30
yds. N. of the farmhouse, of banded flint and rubble and with a
tiled roof, is perhaps of the late 17th or early 18th century.
(7) The Post Office (80279762), house, 300 yds. N.E. of the
church, is two-storied with brick walls and a thatched roof; it
was built early in the 18th century. The S.W. front includes
two small shop windows with reeded wooden architraves and
angle roundels of the early 19th century.
(8) Gould's Farm (80299738), house, 200 yds. E. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics and has brick walls and tiled
roofs; it dates from early in the 18th century. The E. front is
symmetrical and of three bays with a central doorway and modern
sashed windows. The N. elevation retains two original two-light casement windows with wooden surrounds.
(9) Deverel Mill (80669868), 7/8 m. N.E. of the church,
includes an original two-storied range with cob walls and
thatched roofs; it was built in 1781 (Salisbury Journal, 7 June,
1790). A cottage adjoining the N. end of the mill, and an extension at the S. end, are probably of the mid 19th century.
(10) Frogmore House (80349818), 50 yds. N. of (6), is of
three storeys, with brick walls and slated roofs; it was built
about the end of the 18th century. The E. front is symmetrical
and of three bays, with a round-headed central doorway with
a fanlight, and sashed windows. To the N. is a two-storied
(11) Houses, three adjoining, immediately E. of (7) on the
N. side of the Blandford road, facing S., are of brick with
slated roofs and appear to be of the late 18th century. The house
at the W. end of the row has a symmetrical two-storied threebay S. front; to the E. is a pair of three-storied houses.
(12) House (80189752), 150 yds. N.E. of the church, of two
storeys with an attic, has an E. front of banded flint and ashlar
and other walls of rendered cob; the roof is thatched. The front
is symmetrical and of three bays, with a central doorway and
casement windows with segmental brick heads. A stone over
the doorway is inscribed T.B. 1804. The type of masonry used
in the E. front would suggest that the house was of the 17th
century, but the use of cob in the other walls, and the symmetrical
ground plan, confirm that the house is of 1804. The materials
for the banded flint and ashlar front probably came from
Milborne House (see (3)) which was pulled down in 1802.
Other 19th-century monuments include the following: Longthornes (82599915), a two-storied house with rendered walls and
slated roofs at the N.E. extremity of the parish; Rough Close
Barn, a farmhouse of cob and thatch at 81259847; Cottages with
rendered rubble and cob walls and thatched roofs at 80419760
and 80359762; Houses of cob and thatch at 80189773 and
80239773; a House at 80219750, of two storeys with rendered
walls and a symmetrical three-bay front with rusticated quoins;
and the Royal Oak Inn (80149764), of two storeys with rendered
walls and thatched roofs.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(13) Enclosure and Settlement Remains (802963)
lie on the W. side of the Milborne Brook, on gently
sloping ground, ¾ m. S. of the village. The settlement
is at least in part mediaeval, but its name and the date of
desertion are completely unknown. It may have been
part of Milborne St. Andrew or of Churchton (Hutchins
II, 591–2) and its desertion was possibly due to movement of the village from along the brook to the
Dorchester-Blandford road (cf. Winterborne Whitechurch (15)).
The main feature of the site is a rectangular enclosure of 2
acres, bounded by banks and scarps up to 3 ft. high, with internal
sub-divisions resulting in at least six small, almost square
paddocks (Plate 183). The three N. paddocks have scarped and
banked plots within them, perhaps building platforms. In the
N.E. paddock is a rectangular area bounded by low banks and
scarps with an entrance on the N., and a similar feature is cut
into the W. side of the S.W. paddock; these are the remains of
buildings. On the E. side of the N.E. paddock is an oval embanked
depression 1½ ft. deep, with an entrance on the S.E. Similar
enclosures occur at Charminster (25) and Dewlish (7).
To the N. of the enclosure, along the Milborne Brook, are
a series of small closes bounded by scarps and banks. The
remains are much disturbed, especially at the E. ends, by
canalization of the brook which now runs from 30 yds. to
70 yds. W. of its former bed. One certain house site occurs near
the N.E. corner of the enclosure; other house sites may have
been destroyed by the canalization. The closes at the N. end of
the site are cut by a ditch, probably a mill leet, which appears
to be a late feature of the site. Air photographs (R.A.F. CPE/UK
1934: 4115–6) show slight traces of further closes extending
northwards for at least 350 yds. to the edge of the present
village, but they are too much disturbed for interpretation.
Sherds of mediaeval scratch-marked ware have been found on
(14) Settlement Remains (803975 and 803970), formerly
part of Milborne Stileham village, lie on the E. side of the
Milborne Brook and S. of, and within the E. part of the present
village. The remains probably represent one of the two separate
Milbornes listed in Domesday Book (Vol. I, f. 83a and 84b),
which have gradually become one settlement. Only very
disturbed and fragmentary closes bounded by low banks remain.
(15) Settlement Remains (955984), of the former hamlet of
Milborne Deverel, lie on both sides of the Milborne Brook
immediately S. of Deverel Farm. The settlement was probably
listed in Domesday Book with Milborne St. Andrew; there is
no record of its population in any document. Desertion is
probably the result of a movement of population from along the
Milborne Brook to the modern village astride the DorchesterBlandford road.
The remains, which are very fragmentary, consist of ten
rectangular closes on the E. of the brook and at least twelve on
the W.; they are 30 yds. to 100 yds. long and 25 yds. to 40 yds.
wide, and are bounded by banks 1 ft. to 3 ft. high. Disturbed
areas at the lower ends indicate the sites of former buildings.
Other very low banks to the N. of Deverel Farm, on the E.
side of the brook, may be part of the same settlement.
(16) Cultivation Remains. The dates of enclosure of the
open field systems in the parish are unknown; remains are noted
in three places.
About ½ m. N.E. of Weatherby Castle (around 813968) are
slight traces of contour strip lynchets, now almost ploughed
out; they were probably part of the open fields of Milborne
About ½ m. W. of Weatherby Castle (around 798962) and
immediately W. of (13) were formerly some 30 acres of very
slight contour strip lynchets, with low risers, arranged in
butting and interlocked furlong blocks; they now are all
destroyed. The remains were probably part of the open fields
of Milborne St. Andrew (R.A.F. CPE/UK 1934: 4114–5).
In the S.W. of the parish, immediately S. of Brewers Pond
(794968), were formerly some 50 acres of slight contour and
cross-contour strip lynchets with very low risers and a reversed-S
plan. From their position and appearance these fields were
probably cultivated from Milborne St. Andrew, but they lay
beyond the permanent open fields of that settlement. They are
now entirely destroyed (R.A.F. CPE/UK 1934: 4113–4).
Roman and prehistoric
(17) Occupation Debris and Inhumation Burials, Iron
Age and Romano-British, were found E. of the village in 1929,
during the building of Bladen Dairy (807978). The site is on
a S.W.-facing slope of the Chalk at about 310 ft. above O.D.
Some 90 pits, 4 ft. to 9 ft. deep, and ditches 14 ft. wide and 8 ft.
deep were noted, as well as some flint masonry. The pottery
suggested continuous occupation from the late 1st century B.C.
to the 4th century A.D. and included samian and New Forest
ware. Animal bones and several inhumation burials were also
found. (Dorset Procs. LI (1929), 45–6; LII (1930), 10–18).
Weatherby Castle, Milborne St. Andrew
(18) Weatherby Castle (807963), ¾ m. S. of the
village, is an Iron Age contour hill-fort occupying the S.
and higher end of a Chalk spur, rising to 334 ft. above
O.D., from which the ground falls steadily away to the
W., S. and E. (Plate 182). The multiple defences,
possibly of two phases, enclose an irregular area of 17½
acres and comprise two roughly concentric enclosures
with an intervening space from 50 ft. to 90 ft. in width.
The inner enclosure covers 5½ acres and is defined by a
rampart standing up to 3 ft. above the interior and 23 ft.
above the surrounding ditch. The ditch averages 40 ft.
across and beyond it is a low, spread and discontinuous
counterscarp bank. The outer enclosure is defined by a
rampart 5 ft. high on the inside and up to 32 ft. high
on the outside, though for much of its length it is little
more than an outward-facing scarp, having been
reduced on the inside by cultivation. The external ditch
and counterscarp bank were seen by Hutchins (I, 142)
but they are now little more than a shelf. The original
entrance, facing W., has been much mutilated by
ploughing. A steep scarp, formerly a bank, 400 ft.
long with approach ramps at either end, covers the
broad gap in the outer rampart; the N. approach ramp
is original, but that to the S. appears to be merely
the consequence of ploughing. Entry through the
inner defences is by means of a curving ramp flanked on
either side by the out-turned ends of the inner bank; a
broad gap 200 ft. to the N. is certainly not original.
There are no traces of occupation within the domed
interior, but the summit is covered by a dense fir plantation and the remainder is masked by thick scrub, as also
are the inner and much of the outer defences. Warne
states that he collected fragments of Roman ware from
the site (Ancient Dorset (1872), 159–61).
'Celtic' Fields, see p. 343, Group (64).
Monuments (19–37), Round Barrows
Of these nineteen round barrows, eight (30) to (37)
together with Winterborne Whitechurch (21) and (22)
form a group on Deverel Down; the other barrows are
mostly scattered in the S. of the parish, some on
Tertiary sands and gravels.
Deverel Barrow (30) was opened by Miles in 1824; it
was 12 ft. high and had been disturbed. Inside, at ground
level, was a semicircle of sarsen stones (Plate 132), all
except two, larger than the others, covering cists cut in
the Chalk. The arrangement invites comparison with
Winterbourne Abbas (57), (Dorset II, 515). Near the
largest stone lay a cremation, possibly primary, in an
inverted collared urn surrounded by flints. The cists
contained some seventeen cremations in globular and
bucket urns set upright. As well, four with cremations,
two without cremations, and four unaccompanied
cremations lay on the barrow floor; five other
cists contained only cremations (W. A. Miles, The
Deverel Barrow (1826); C.T.D., Pt. 3, No. 59; Ant. J.
XIII (1933), 433–4; Arch.J. CXIX (1962), 57). In 1844
two urns were found in a barrow near the Deverel
Barrow (Durden Cat. No. 26). Warne opened four
unlocated barrows on Milborne Down (C.T.D., Pt. 1,
Nos. 22–25); of them, No. 22 yielded a cremation from
the base of the mound, probably primary, and an
intrusive skeleton 2 ft. from the top; No. 23 contained
a primary cremation in an urn set in a chalk-cut cist,
and an intrusive skeleton 3 ft. from the top; No. 24
produced a primary extended skeleton on rough sandstone paving and a secondary skeleton, of an infant, 2 ft.
from the top; No. 25 produced a primary skeleton in a
chalk-cut cist covered by a flint cairn containing three
further skeletons, and a secondary cremation in a stonecovered cist 1 ft. from the top. In 1864 H. Durden
opened a barrow, possibly (28), in the N.W. of the
parish and found two skeletons and at least twelve urns,
mostly inverted, containing cremations (Hutchins II,
604; Ant. J. XIII (1933), 445), 'Bagber Barrow', probably
Stable Barrow (29), was excavated by J. C. MansellPleydell; it contained twenty-three urns, all with
cremations, two inverted and the remainder upright
and covered with slabs of sarsen or flint; the few urns to
survive are of globular and 'bucket' type, and there is
one small handled cup (Dorset Procs. XVII (1896), 131f.;
Ant.J. XIII (1933), 445; Arch.J. CXIX (1962), 57, 65).
In 1881 Mansell-Pleydell also opened three barrows on
Warren Hill, probably (20), (21) and (22); the first
barrow contained only ashes and a piece of pottery; the
second contained three cremations, possibly primary, in
cists; the third, almost certainly (21), contained a thick
layer of black ashes at the centre and, on its N. side, the
remains of a coarse urn (Dorset Procs. V (1882), 30–2).
The Durden Collection (B.M.) includes several urns
from unidentified barrows 'near Milborne St. Andrew'.
(Ant.J. XIII (1933), 445).
(19) Bowl (78899636), 60 yds. S.E. of West End Barn, at
about 250 ft. above O.D., at the head of a shallow combe
running E. The mound has been damaged by former ploughing
and by the insertion of a brick inspection hole for a pipeline.
Diam. 95 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(20) Bowl (79259617), 465 yds. S.E. of (19), on a gentle slope
near the summit of an E.–W. ridge, lies within a hedgerow
and has been cut away by ploughing until it is now an irregular
mound; it bears no obvious relationship to the much ploughed
remains of 'Celtic' fields around it. Diam. (N.–S.) 26 ft., ht.
(21) Bowl (79509591), 400 yds. S.E. of (20), on top of Warren
Hill at 380 ft. above O.D., lies within the hedgerow forming
the parish boundary with Tolpuddle and has been dug into in
the past. Diam. about 45 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(22) Bowl (79879613), 465 yds. N.E. of (21), lies near the
summit of a low spur sloping N. and E. at the N. end of Warren
Hill. The mound is much disturbed. Diam. 35 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
The three barrows following lie on Milborne Down, on top
of a low N.W.–S.E. ridge at about 300 ft. altitude. All have been
(23) Bowl (81119658), diam. about 55 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(24) Bowl (81109662), 30 yds. N. of (23), diam. 60 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(25) Bowl (81049676), 160 yds. N.N.W. of (24), diam. about
90 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(26) Bowl (81629681), on a low ridge below Milborne Down,
lies just above the 200 ft. contour. Much ploughed. Diam. 57 ft.,
ht. 2½ ft.
(27) Bowl (81689680), 70 yds. E.S.E. of (26) is heavily
ploughed. Diam. 53 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(28) Bowl (79029938), 80 yds. S. of West Bagber Copse, lies
on a gentle slope overlooking a shallow combe to the E. Very
heavily ploughed. Diam. about 50 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(29) Stable Barrow, bowl (79479934), 500 yds. E. of (28), lies
within a hedgerow forming the parish boundary with Milton
Abbas. It is on a gentle S. slope just over 400 ft. above O.D.,
near the summit of a broad ridge. The mound has been ploughed
away on either side and is now elongated in form. Diam. (E.–W.)
60 ft., (N.–S.) 30 ft., ht. 6 ft.
The Deverel Down Group lies in the extreme N.E. of the
parish, over 300 ft. above O.D., on downland sloping mainly
S. and W. It comprises the eight barrows listed here and also
two in Winterborne Whitechurch, (21) and (22); these lie on an
E.–facing slope. Fragmentary remains of 'Celtic' fields are visible
on the Down (see Group (64), p. 343).
(30) Deverel Barrow (81999900) is now almost entirely
destroyed; its site is marked by a circular walled enclosure
planted with trees. Inside, the only relics are a number of large
stones on a slight mound. An inscribed stone recording the
excavation was set up in 1827 but it is now in fragments. Diam.
at time of excavation, 54 ft., ht. 12 ft. (Plate 132).
(31) Bowl (82019906), 75 yds. N.N.E. of (30), is in an area of
comparatively recent ploughing. Diam. about 40 ft., ht. 9 ins.
(32) Bowl (82169911), 165 yds. E.N.E. of (31), is much
disturbed. At some time a cut has been made right through the
centre and recently the N. side has been quarried for chalk. Diam.
55 ft., ht. 5 ft. Traces of ditch.
(33) Bell ? (82269915), lies 120 yds. E.N.E. of (32). The mound
has been dug into on the top and to the N.W.; only traces of
the ditch survive. Diam. of area enclosed by ditch 56 ft.; diam.
of mound 29 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(34) Bowl (82219930), 180 yds. N.E. of (33), lies within an
area of former ploughing. Diam. 36 ft., ht. 9 ins.
(35) Bowl (82249929), 40 yds. E.S.E. of (34), has been spread
by ploughing. Diam. 45 ft., ht. 2½ ft. Traces of ditch.
(36) Bowl (82209936), 70 yds. N. of (34), has its centre dug
into and is much ploughed. Diam. 36 ft., ht. 1½ ft. Traces of
(37) Bowl (82289935), 100 yds. E. of (36), adjoins the hedge
forming the parish boundary with Winterborne Whitechurch.
The centre has been dug into and the whole mound has been
badly damaged by rabbits. A modern track has destroyed the
ditch on the S.E. Diam. 42 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(38) Enclosure (81709695), on the S. slope of a broad ridge,
200 yds. S.E. of Foxpound Plantation, consists of a rhomboidal
area of 1/5 acre, bounded by a bank 2 ft. high with an external
ditch 2½ ft. deep. An entrance in the centre of the S.W. side
is apparently original. The interior is featureless except for a
slightly embanked circular depression, 1 ft. deep in the centre.
A hollow in the S.E. corner is probably the result of recent
disturbance. Warne (Ancient Dorset (1872), 335, No. 5) lists a
similar enclosure nearby which was then 'obliterated'; no trace
of it remains.