38 PUDDLETOWN (7594)
(O.S. 6 ins. SY 79 NW, NE, SW, SE)
Puddletown is a large parish of 7,185 acres, stretching
from the bank of the R. Frome in the S. to the watershed between the Cheselbourne and Lyscombe Brooks
in the N.; the R. Piddle flows through it from W. to E.,
midway between the S. and N. boundaries. Reading
Beds in the S. give rise to the extensive area of Puddletown Heath. Although Puddletown village is now the
only settlement of any size in the parish, this was not
formerly the case. A series of small settlements lay
along the course of the R. Piddle; named in order from
W. to E. they were: Little Piddle, now in the adjacent
parish of Piddlehinton; South Louvard, now called
Higher Waterston; Waterston (22); Hyde, now called
Druce Farm; Puddletown itself; and Bardolfeston (21),
now deserted. In the N.E. quarter of the parish the small
settlement of Cheselbourne Ford lay near the confluence
of the Cheselbourne and the Devil's Brook; in the S.,
at the edge of the R. Frome meadows, is Ilsington.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the
middle of Puddletown village and close to the E.
boundary of the parish. The walls are of rubble, with
some flint and brickwork, and with ashlar dressings;
the roofs are covered with stone-slates, tiles and lead.
In the 12th century the church consisted of a Chancel,
a Nave and a small West Tower. The S. respond of the
12th-century chancel arch is still standing; the S. wall
of the nave has a chamfered plinth that is perhaps of the
same date and the lower courses of the S.W. angle may
be contemporary; the S. and W. walls of the 12th-century tower stand to a height of 11 ft. In the 13th
century, transeptal North and South Chapels were added.
Later in the same century or early in the 14th century
the W. tower, and presumably also the western part of
the nave, was widened by rebuilding the N. wall some
4 ft. further N.; at the same time the tower arch was
In the 15th century the church was extensively remodelled and enlarged. Probably in the first half of the
century the second stage and part of the top stage of the
W. tower were built. Somewhat later in the century
the S. chapel was remodelled and provided with
traceried windows and a new roof; this work was
probably associated with the erection of monument (6),
which doubtless stood originally in the middle of the
chapel, and the work to the chapel may thus be dated
c. 1460. A window on the N. side of the church corresponds with and is uniform with the S. window of the S.
chapel, showing that the former N. chapel was remodelled at the same time; however, the North Aisle,
which was built shortly afterwards, incorporates the N.
wall of this chapel and obliterates its side walls. The
North Porch is of the same date as the N. aisle, as too are
the lower windows in the S. wall of the nave. At the end
of the 15th century the clearstorey windows of the nave
were added, the upper part of the top stage of the W.
tower and the tower vice turret were built, the chancel
was reconstructed, and a North-East Chapel was built at
the E. end of the N. aisle. The rededication of the church
in 1505 (Hutchins II, 620) probably marked the
completion of these works.
Puddletown, the Parish Church of St. Mary
The South Vestry was added in the 16th century,
possibly in 1576, the date on a stone that is no longer
in situ. In 1635 the church was refitted internally, the
W. gallery was built, and pews were installed in the nave
and N. aisle. In 1910 the chancel was restored and
extended to the E., an eastern bay also being added to
the N.E. chapel. The chancel arch and the pier at its N.
abutment are restorations, probably of the 19th century.
The church is of considerable architectural interest
and contains an important 12th-century font, fine
tombs of the 13th to 16th centuries, and much well
preserved 17th-century woodwork.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft. by 20¼ ft.)
has a modern E. wall with a reset 15th-century window of three
cinquefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred
head. In the N. wall are two archways to the N.E. chapel. That
to the E. is modern and that to the W. is of the late 15th century;
they have moulded two-centred arches and shafted responds with
moulded polygonal bases and foliate capitals; the W. respond is
restored. On the S. wall, above the vestry roof, is a reset stone
panel inscribed '2 Mai An. Dn. 1576'; below it is a blocked
doorway with a segmental-pointed rear-arch and chamfered
jambs; at the W. end of the wall is a square-headed recess with
a squint to the S. chapel. The chancel arch (Plate 185) is two-centred and of one chamfered order; it is probably of 15th-century origin but it has been extensively restored. On the N.
it springs from a three-quarter shaft attached to the rebuilt E.
pier of the nave arcade; on the S. it springs from a 12th-century
respond with an attached shaft with a moulded polygonal
capital; the roll-moulding at the necking is original, but the bell
of the capital was recut, probably in the 15th century, to correspond with the chamfered archivolt of the rebuilt arch.
The E. bay of the North-East Chapel, including the N. doorway, is modern; further W. is a window of c. 1500 with three
cinquefoil-headed lights in a square casement-moulded surround.
To the W. is a two-centred arch similar to the chancel arch; it
springs from three-quarter shafts, that on the S. being attached
to the E. pier of the nave arcade. The South Vestry, probably
dated by the inscription of 1576 that is now reset in the S. wall
of the chancel, has an E. window of three square-headed lights
with a label. In the S. wall is a doorway with a chamfered four-centred head and continuous jambs.
The Nave (50¾ ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a 15th-century N. arcade of
four bays, with moulded two-centred arches and shafted piers
and responds; the capitals are foliate and some of them include
human masks; the eastern bay has been rebuilt. In the S. wall,
the opening to the S. chapel is a two-centred 15th-century
archway with a stone panelled soffit and jambs, each panel with a
trefoiled ogee at top and bottom. The panelling of the E. respond
incorporates an ogee-headed doorway to the former rood-loft
vice; the foot of the W. respond is masked by monument (5).
Further W. are two square-headed 15th-century windows, each
of three cinquefoil-headed lights, that to the E. with casementmoulded reveals and a label with head-stops. Between these
windows is a 15th-century S. doorway with a wave-moulded
segmental-pointed head and continuous jambs. The clearstorey
windows are square-headed and are each of two lights with four-centred heads; there are seven windows on the N. side and six
on the S.; the E. window on the S. side is displaced to the E.,
presumably to light the rood. The parapet above the S. clear-storey has a weathered string-course and a gargoyle in the form
of a pig.
The North Aisle (12¼ ft. wide) has three windows in the N.
wall; the easternmost is of the mid 15th century and is uniform
with the S. window of the S. chapel (see below); the other two
windows are of c. 1500 and are of three trefoil-headed lights
in surrounds with triangular heads and chamfered jambs;
the surrounds were restored in brickwork in the 18th century
and in plaster under the N. wall-plate are the initials and date
'W.T., R.A., 1751'. The N. doorway has a double chamfered
four-centred head and continuous jambs. In the W. wall is a
square-headed window of c. 1500, of three cinquefoil-headed
lights with a casement-moulded surround.
The South Chapel (18 ft. square) has in the E. wall, and now
opening into the vestry, a square-headed, casement-moulded mid
15th-century window of three cinquefoil-headed lights; the
lower part of the opening has been altered to make way for a
square-headed 18th-century doorway. In the gabled S. wall is a
two-centred mid 15th-century window of five lights with
vertical tracery above, with details similar to those of the E.
window. In the W. wall is a square-headed three-light window
uniform with that to the E. but still entire.
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is of three stages, with an
embattled parapet, pinnacles and gargoyles, and an embattled
and pinnacled vice turret of four stages, rising above the parapet
(Plate 187). At the N.W. and S.W. corners are large two-stage
diagonal buttresses, probably of the 14th century. The tower
arch is of the late 13th or early 14th century and is two-centred
and of two continuous chamfered orders; above it on the E. face
is a heavy stone corbel. The N. wall was partly refaced with
brick and flint in the 18th century and it contains a small square-headed doorway of that period. Standing to a height of 11 ft.
in the W. and S. walls of the lower stage are the remains of the
12th-century tower, with pilaster buttresses at the angles; one
buttress remains on the W. wall and traces of two others are seen
at the S.W. corner. The W. window is modern. The second
stage has, on the E. wall, the weathering of a former nave roof,
more steeply pitched than the present roof; cutting through it is
a modern window. The bell-chamber has a 15th-century
window of one trefoil-headed light in each of the E., N. and W.
sides. The upper part of the third stage, and all four stages of the
vice turret are of ashlar and date from the end of the 15th century.
The North Porch has an outer archway with a two-centred
head of one wave-moulded order with continuous jambs; at
the N.E. and N.W. corners are restored diagonal buttresses of
two weathered stages. The South Porch is similar to the N. porch
but without buttresses; it has been extensively rebuilt.
The nave Roof is of the early 16th century (Plate 20); it is
low-pitched and of seven bays, with moulded curved braces to
the principals; each bay is divided into twelve panels by one
transverse and five longitudinal members, with mouldings;
each panel is sub-divided by moulded diagonal ribs into four
triangular panels with trefoil cusping. In the E. bay only, foliate
bosses mask the intersections of the moulded members; they
include one with a Tudor rose, one with the letter I and one
with a T. The N. wall-plate has a frieze of quatrefoils; that on
the S. is plain. The roof of the S. chapel is of the 15th century
and of two bays, with moulded arch-braced collar-beam trusses,
moulded purlins and moulded wall-plates, the latter in part
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st modern, 2nd by Thomas Purdue,
inscribed 'John Goodings care twice cause me heare, T.P.,
Anno Domini 1674, W.G., I.H., C.W.'; 3rd by William
Knight 1728; 4th by John Wallis, inscribed 'Serve the Lord
IW 1599'; 5th old but not inscribed; 6th recast 1897. Brackets:
In S. chapel, polygonal, with mouldings, two on E. wall,
one on S. wall, 15th century. Brasses and Indents. Brasses:
In chancel, reset on S. wall, (1) of Roger Cheverell, 1517,
inscription plate (19 ins. by 4½ ins.) with black-letter inscription,
also two shields-of-arms, Cheverell impaling Ravis, and Cheverell
impaling a defaced coat, also half figure of man, hands in prayer;
on chancel floor, (2) of George Henry Sale, 1821, inscription
plate (8 ins. by 12 ins.); (3) of Susan Charlotte, wife of Alexander
Cunningham, 1804, inscription plate (6 ins. by 4 ins.). In S.
chapel, on E. wall, (4) of Christopher Martyn, 1524, inscription
plate (1¾ ft. by 1½ ft.) with kneeling figure in armour and tabard,
at prayer-desk (Plate 40), also with Trinity, inscription and
two shields-of-arms of Martyn, set in stone slab with traceried
head, partly cut away for plate; on S. wall (5) of Nicholas
Martyn, see monument (8). Indents: In chancel, on N., for inscription plate, 12 ins. by 7½ ins.; in S. chapel, for shield and
inscription plate, 21 ins. by 4 ins.
Candlesticks: In chancel, of brass, with plain standards and
circular dishes, four mounted on posts of communion rails, two
mounted on pews below chancel arch, 17th century. Chairs: In
chancel, one with scrolled front legs, turned stretchers and turned
back supports, late 17th century with repairs and modern armrests, crown finial reset; another with turned front legs and
supports to arms, panelled and carved back, and cresting carved
with pair of hounds, 17th century. Chests: In S. chapel, one of
oak, with lid of half-octagonal section, iron straps and three
locks, late 17th or early 18th century; another with moulded
rails, ball feet, and shaped panels, those on front with carved
figures, 18th century, foreign. Communion Rails: forming three
sides of enclosure, with turned balusters and turned posts with
ball-finials, c. 1635 (Plate 23). Communion Table: with turned
legs, moulded rails and shaped brackets, c. 1635; also small
square table, 18th century. Coffin-stools: two, of oak, with turned
legs and moulded rails and tops, late 17th century. Consecration
Cross: Reset in S. wall of N.E. chapel, circular stone with plain
cross in relief, perhaps 12th century. Doors: In N. doorway, (1) of
oak, in two thicknesses, outside with bevelled planks with
hollow-chamfered cover fillets, inside with horizontal battens
and wooden box lock; with iron strap-hinges, studding and
ring-handle with escutcheon; early 16th century. In N. porch,
(2) oak gates with fielded panels below and turned balusters
above, top rail with iron spikes; 18th century. In S. doorway,
(3) of nail-studded oak planks with restored hollow-chamfered
cover fillets, strap-hinges, two ring-handles and heavy wrought-iron draw-bar; early 16th century. In S. porch, (4) gates similar
to (2), restored. In tower vice turret, (5) of oak planks, with
shaped escutcheon for former handle; late 15th century. In
doorway to rood-loft vice, (6) of nail-studded oak planks, with
moulded cover fillets and iron strap-hinges; early 16th century,
Font: Tapering tub-shaped bowl with diaper of interlaced
stems and acanthus leaves, 12th century (Plate 28); cover,
octagonal pyramid, with panelled sides and ball finial, c. 1635.
Graffito: On E. jamb of S. doorway, 'J.V. 1700' in oblong margin
with pediment. Gallery: Across W. end of nave and N. aisle,
parapet with deep carved frieze, shield with date 1635 at centre;
above, turned balusters and central cartouche with shield-of-arms, France and England quarterly; on shield at centre of
N. aisle 'Huc ades non videri sed audire et precari'; other
shields with monograms G.H., I.D., F.E.F. and S.W.; gallery
supported on bulbous oak Tuscan columns, on pedestals, and
on chamfered posts with shaped brackets; stairs, in N. aisle,
with turned balusters, and newels with ball-finials. Glass: In
N. aisle, in tracery of five-light N. window, with yellow and
black decoration, late 18th century; in adjacent window, fragments, mediaeval and 18th century.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel, reset on
E. wall, (1) of William Bradish, , stone panel with strapwork surround, with arms (unidentified 12); on S. wall, (2)
of Henry Hooton, 1721, stone cartouche with arms of Hooton
impaling Arnold of Ilsington; (3) of Charlotte Susanna, wife of
Alexander Cunningham, 1804, marble tablet; (4) of James
Lukyn, 1671, stone wall-monument with Corinthian side-columns, entablature and newly repainted shield-of-arms. In S.
chapel, under N. arch, (5) said to be of Sir William Martyn,
1503, but effigy perhaps earlier, Purbeck marble altar-tomb
and canopy, with alabaster effigy (Plates 15, 29 and 189); altar-tomb with moulded slab and plinth, traceried panels enclosing
blank shields at sides and E. end; canopy supported on moulded
piers at angles, with flat arches, cusped and panelled frieze,
and brattishing, soffit with traceried panelling; effigy in plate
armour of c. 1470 with ogee-shaped sallet and collar of sun
and roses, head on helm, feet on chained ape. In S.E. corner of
S. chapel, (6) defaced reset tomb of a member of the Martyn
family and his wife, c. 1460 (Plate 15); altar-tomb with N. side
and W. end divided by small buttresses into panels with double
trefoiled ogee heads, each panel with figure of angel holding
blank shield (Plate 188), blue colour on background; similar S.
side and E. end of tomb now reversed and reset on wall above;
effigy represents man in plate armour with ape at foot, both arms
and one leg missing; woman wears sideless coat-hardie and
veiled head-dress, traces of red colour on gown. At centre of
S. wall of S. chapel, (7) recess, altar-tomb and effigy, of Ham
Hill stone, late 14th century (Plate 188); recess with septfoil
ogee head and label; altar-tomb front divided into nine trefoil
ogee-headed panels, one now masked, enclosing sculptures of
Crucifixion, the Virgin, Mary Magdalene, St. Peter, perhaps St.
Paul, and three other figures including one in armour; above,
effigy in late 14th-century armour with bascinet and camail (Plate
189), feet on defaced beast. In S.W. corner of S. chapel, (8) of
Nicholas Martyn, 1595, stone monument consisting of table on
pedestals, and canopy with enriched soffit resting on fluted Ionic
columns supporting flat arches, with enriched entablature, strapwork cresting and three chained ape finials (Plate 31); on wall at
back, four brass plates (Plate 40) engraved with kneeling figure
of man in armour with three sons, woman with seven daughters,
inscription plate (16½ ins. by 9 ins.) and achievement-of-arms of
Martyn impaling Wadham. Underneath foregoing monument,
(9) Ham Hill stone effigies of man and woman, man cross-legged,
in mail with long surcoat, shield and sword, defaced beast at feet;
woman in gown and veil, head on cushion; much abraded, 13th
century. In S. chapel, on W. wall, (10) of Sir John Brun (sic) of
Athelhampton, 1639, Charles Brun his brother, 1637, and
Charles Brun, son of last named, 1645, marble wall-monument
with Doric side-columns, and entablature with broken segmental
pediment; above, achievement-of-arms of Brune quartering
[Rokesley], flanked on S. by cartouche of the same impaling a
coat of six quarterings, and on N. by cartouche of Brune impaling Coker; on apron, shield-of-arms of Brune quartering
[Rokesley], impaling another quartered coat. In nave, on S. wall,
(11) of the Hon. Henry Dawnay, D.D., vicar, 1754, marble tablet
with pediment. In churchyard, reset on E. wall of chancel, (12)
of James Boswell, 1820, shaped wall-monument; six paces E. of
chancel, (13) of Martha Purchase, 1735, and Robert Purchase,
1745, headstone with scrolls and emblems of mortality; four
paces S. of S. chapel, (14) of George Edwards, 1743, headstone
with scroll decoration. Floor-slabs: In chancel, on N., (1) of
Mary Hayman, 1696. In nave, (2) defaced 17th-century slab. In
S. chapel, (3) of John Brune, 17th century.
Paintings: In nave, on S. wall, representing open book held by
hands, with passage from Revelation xxii, 18, 19 in black-letter,
17th century, restored; over S. doorway, remains of large panel
of Royal Arms, with flanking columns, defaced motto below,
traces of lion and unicorn supporters, rose and thistle, garter,
probably 17th century, centre obliterated by monument (11);
below rear-arch of S. doorway, text; on W. wall, behind organ,
Royal Arms, 1753. In N. aisle, on N. wall, panel with cherub-heads and scroll-work containing Lord's Prayer, late 17th or
early 18th century, restored. Plate: includes silver cup and stand-paten, both of 1638, cup with dedicatory inscription of William
Bradish, vicar; silver salver of 1763, with three feet, given by
J. A. Templer, vicar, 1829; two plated alms-dishes with scratched
dates 1834 and 1835; silver flagon, with hallmark of 1767; also
two pewter flagons given by Henry Arnold, 1641; and a brass
alms-dish with the Annunciation, German, 16th-century. Pulpit:
Of oak, octagonal, with panelled plinth, main height of arcaded
panels alternating with coupled columns, panelled frieze and
moulded cornice (Plate 47), c. 1635; back standard and sounding-board modern. Below pulpit, reading desk with panelled
enclosure, and clerk's desk, c. 1635. Screen: Between E. end
of monument (5) and E. respond of archway to S. chapel,
stone doorway with moulded four-centred head and continuous
jambs, late 15th century. Seating: In nave and N. aisle, complete
furnishing of panelled oak box-pews of c. 1635; front pews in
nave with higher sides and open balustrade cresting, doors with
carved cresting; on E. front of each block of pews, open bench
with turned uprights and ball finials. In tower, two benches with
turned legs, 17th century. In gallery, oak benches with ball
finials, 17th century. In N. porch, two heavy oak wall benches
supported on small columns with moulded caps, 17th century.
In S. porch, benches as in N. porch, restored; also loose bench
formerly in gallery. Sundial: On S. wall of S. chapel, over E.
Miscellanea: Reset in external face of E. wall of N.E. chapel,
12th-century carvings, two with chevron ornament, one with
nail-head enrichment; also fragments of 12th-century attached
shafting. In N.E. chapel, reset on S. wall, fragment of carved
stone cross (8½ ins. by 7½ ins.) with interlace enrichment, 9th-10th century; beast-head corbel, 12th century; small headless
alabaster figure of woman, 15th century. In chancel, processional
cross in gilded wood, with scroll-work and cherub heads, continental, probably 18th century. In vestry, round stone panel
with carved eagle, perhaps c. 1800; part of carved wooden
figure, perhaps from roof, 15th century; two clarinets and one
flute, probably 18th century.
(2) Ilsington House (75999435), 100 yds. E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are rendered and the
roofs are slate-covered and of low pitch. The house was
built late in the 17th century but the character of the
exterior was entirely changed early in the 19th century
when the original walling, probably of brick with stone
dressings, was rendered with stucco, the windows were
given stucco architraves, the glazing was altered, and an
iron balcony and balustrading were added on the S.
More recently a porch has been added on the N., and
there are extensive modern additions on the W.
All main elevations have a continuous frieze and a boldly
moulded modillion cornice; the N. and S. fronts are symmetrically designed. The N. front has broad wings projecting a short
distance at either end, and a narrow bay of shallow projection
with a curved pediment in the centre; the wings and the central
feature have rusticated stone quoins. Masking the lower part
of the central feature is a modern stone porch. The eleven
windows on each floor are uniform and of broad proportions;
they have moulded architraves with key-blocks and the sashes
have slender glazing-bars. The chimneystacks are high and wide
and have paired panels on the N. and S. sides. The S. front is
divided into five bays by Doric pilasters with a marked taper;
the two middle pilasters are set close together to form a central
feature, with a curved pediment and round-headed openings on
the ground and first floors. The other six windows on each floor
have moulded architraves and key-blocks; they are taller in
proportion than those of the N. front. In the 19th century,
probably when the S. front was rendered, a cast-iron balcony on
iron supports was added; it serves the central room on the first
floor and is approached from the ground by flanking flights of
stairs; stairs and balcony have delicate Gothic balustrading.
The interior was considerably altered in the 18th and 19th
centuries. The principal reception rooms are on the first floor,
ranged along the S. front, and are approached by an 18th-century oak staircase with turned balusters and a moulded handrail. The stair-hall is panelled and some of the panelling with
bolection mouldings is original. Many rooms have enriched
plaster cornices and two have fireplace surrounds dating from
the first half of the 19th century. The Boudoir chimney-piece
is of white marble with porphyry panels enriched with ormolu.
Three panels of the frieze have cameo-like reliefs of figure-subjects in white marble; the centre panel depicts three women
in Classical dress with Cupid and a child in a cradle, the side
panels have dancing nymphs. The Drawing-room chimneypiece is similar except that the carved panels are of red marble.
In the W. part of the house is an original staircase with spiral
turned balusters on the landing, turned balusters on the stairs
and a moulded handrail.
The forecourt N. of the house is bounded on the W. by a high
brick wall with a moulded coping, terminating in a brick pier
with a moulded plinth and capping and a ball-finial; much of the
wall is probably contemporary with the house and the rest is
of the 18th century. A corresponding wall to the E. has been
(3) Waterston House (73509514), about 1½ m.
W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics.
The walls are of ashlar, coursed rubble, diapered brickwork, and rough-cast rendering; the dressings are of
Ham Hill stone; the roofs are tiled, with stone-slate
verges. The house was built probably in the second
quarter of the 17th century, during the ownership of
the Earl of Suffolk, to whom the property had passed
early in the century; he sold it in 1641 to Sir John
Strangways. In 1863 the house was severely damaged
by fire and rebuilt. Of the 17th-century house only the
S. front and part of the E. front remain; little evidence
is left of the original plan. Further alterations were made
in the present century and the gardens were redesigned
by Morley Horder. A gabled bay in the E. front has an
elaborate wrought stone frontispiece with figuresculptures, dated 1586; it has been reset in this position
and in character is dissociated from any other feature of
the present house.
The S. front (Plate 52) up to first-floor level is of brickwork
with a diaper pattern in dark headers, above it is faced with
rough-cast; the level of the first floor is marked by a terra-cotta
string-course with 'nail-head' ornament; the rusticated quoins
are of brick and the other dressings are of Ham Hill stone. The
elevation is symmetrical and comprises three tall bays finishing
in gables with continuous moulded copings and shaft finials;
between the gables and on either side are small round-headed
rainwater outlets with fluted soffits, through which the tiled
roof verges continue, to finish in overhanging eaves. The middle
bay has a projecting rectangular porch on the ground floor, and
a half round turret in the first and attic storeys. The porch (Plate
136) has a round-headed archway with a moulded architrave and
imposts; the soffit, key-block and jambs are ornamented with
'jewels'. The archway is flanked by free-standing Roman-Doric
columns on pedestals enriched with strapwork, which support
an entablature with a jewelled frieze. Above the entablature the
bay becomes half-round in plan and is faced, up to first-floor
level, with a chequer-work of brick and ashlar blocks; two of the
blocks have pierced frets. On the first floor the half-round bay
contains a seven-light window with square-headed openings and
square stone mullions with carved enrichment on the face; the
lintel is treated as an enriched frieze with a continuous cornice
above. At the top of the half-round bay is a balustraded parapet.
The gable behind the balustrade has a small single-light window
with a round head and a straight upper cornice supported on
consoles; over this in the wall-face is a semicircular panel with
radial fluting, and flanking the window are shell-headed niches.
Within the porch, the entrance doorway has a round head on
moulded imposts, and moulded jambs with large broach-stops;
the oak plank door has wrought-iron strap-hinges and has been
restored. Bordering the half-round centre bay of the S. front
are rusticated quoins which, with angle-quoins at the corners
of the façade, define each lateral bay of the elevation as a
secondary symmetrical composition. In each of these, on the
ground floor, is a restored two-light transomed stone window
with square openings and with rusticated brick side-pilasters with
moulded brick caps, the cap-mouldings being carried across the
window-head. On the first floor is an original two-light
transomed stone window with a pedimented entablature
supported on shaped stone brackets; the frieze, flush with the
wall-face, isolates the pediment, in the tympanum of which is
a shell-headed panel; in the gable is a two-light stone window
with a straight label supported on consoles, and a fluted shell
The E. front has a projecting gabled bay near the centre and
another to the S., the latter being the end of the S. range;
between these two bays the E. front has modern facing and has
probably been almost entirely rebuilt; the range to the N. is
wholly modern. The S. bay is rendered; it has rusticated quoins
and a restored two-light mullioned and transomed stone window
on the ground floor, another on the first floor, and a small two
light window in the gable; in the parapet of the N. return wall
is a round-headed rainwater outlet, as on the S. front. The centre
bay has restored ashlar facing and in it is reset an elaborate
symmetrical architectural composition of three stages carved in
freestone (Plate 190). At the centre of the bottom stage is a
restored round-headed doorway flanked by semicircular niches
with shell heads, beyond which fluted Roman-Doric columns
on pedestals support an enriched entablature. In the second
stage Ionic columns on pedestals support a second enriched
entablature; between them, in the centre and breaking through
the entablature is a three-light window with mullions in the
form of Ionic colonettes; these stand on a moulded and bracketed
sill supported on pilasters. Flanking the window and somewhat
lower down are round-headed panels with moulded and enriched architraves, moulded imposts, and jambs decorated with
floriate studs. The panels frame figures carved in high relief; that
on the N. wears plate armour, has his right hand on his chest and
in the other hand holds a palm branch; that on the S. is similarly
attired, is bearded, and holds a palm branch in his right hand
and a staff in his left. The top stage is narrower than those below;
at the centre is a shallow niche, with a surround generally
similar to that of the second-stage panels, containing a figure of
Justice on a gadrooned and fluted pedestal. On either side are
slender Corinthian columns which support a pyramidal composition based on the divisions of an entablature; it comprises
an architrave enriched with strapwork, a heightened frieze with
curved ends supported by rampant lions and with a central bull's-eye window with an enriched surround, and a small pedimented
cornice; a roundel flanked by orbs in the tympanum of the
pediment is inscribed 1586. The whole bay is finished with a
gable with a moulded coping, flanked by restored cylindrical
stone chimney-stacks with moulded cappings. The return walls
are of rubble and flint, that to the N. with two modern windows.
All the brick chimneystacks in the house are modern. The W.
front is entirely modern or refaced.
Inside, little remains that is original; one room on the ground
floor retains a stone fireplace-surround with a shallow four-centred opening, gadrooned and tapered side-pilasters with
Doric capitals, and a heavy entablature (Plate 75).
A number of architectural features, perhaps from the destroyed
parts of the house, have been reused in the garden. They include
four enriched round-headed archways, two in the modern walls
flanking the S. front and two, with a stone column between,
forming a loggia in the E. end of the gatehouse; also two pilasters
in the form of grotesque terminal-figures with strapwork
decoration, and a shell-headed niche with gadrooned and tapered
(4) The Vicarage (75939435), 50 yds. E. of the
church, is of three and two storeys, with attics and
cellars. The walls are of brick, casing timber-framing
in the oldest portion; the roofs are partly slated and
partly tiled, with stone-slate verges. The S. part of the
E. range dates probably from the early 17th century;
the vestibule and the two main rooms of the W. wing
were added c. 1722 (Hutchins II, 625), and the stair-hall
was built shortly afterwards. Later in the 18th century
the timber-framed original range was cased in brick
and it was heightened to three storeys early in the 19th
century. The N. part of the E. range has been extensively
remodelled and is now largely of the 19th century. There
are modern single-storey additions beside the stair-hall.
The W. wing, with its contemporary staircase and
panelling, is an unspoilt example of an 18th-century
domestic building of medium size (Plate 191).
The S. front has the projecting gabled end of the encased
early block on the E.; the rest, comprising the front of the W.
wing, is built of bricks in slightly varying shades with dressings
in a uniform red; it has a chamfered plinth, a moulded string-course at first-floor level and a coved plaster cornice. The bay
adjoining the E. range projects 4 ins. and contains the entrance,
with a porch which was added probably in the second quarter
of the 18th century; the porch has a wooden cornice and a round-headed outer doorway with fanlight, fluted side-pilasters,
moulded archivolt and key-block; the glazed inner door is of
the 19th century. The sashed window on the first floor has a
segmental gauged brick head with a key-block and a shaped
apron. The other four sashed windows on each floor are grouped
two and two; they have flat gauged brick heads with key-blocks,
and shaped aprons. The two dormers have two-light casement
windows; that to the E. is placed centrally over the projecting
bay and has a rusticated surround, the other has a moulded
architrave. The large W. chimney-stack is original; it has a
moulded string, partly of stone, and a moulded capping; the
centre of each face is recessed. The W. end of the W. wing has
plinth, string and cornice carried round from the S. front and
on each floor are two round-headed recesses with brick arches,
stone key-blocks, imposts and sills, and shaped brick aprons. The
hipped dormer window is similar to the W. dormer on the S.
front. The lower part of the N. side of the W. wing is concealed
by modern additions; the stair bay has a stone plinth and a
moulded wood cornice and contains a window with a segmental
arched head with a keystone; above is a dormer window similar
to the W. dormer on the S. front. The E. front of the E. range
has a stone plinth and an 18th-century three-light casement
window near the S. end; the N. end is much patched. In the
gabled N. end of the heightened 17th-century portion of the
range, part of the angle-post and tie-beam of the original
timber-framing is visible above the lower building adjoining it
on the N.
Inside, the S. room of the E. range has a 17th-century timber
ceiling divided into sixteen panels by moulded beams and wall-plates; the walls are lined with moulded and fielded panels, with
a moulded dado-rail, of c. 1725; the moulded stone fireplace
surround is of the same date. The drawing-room in the W. wing
has a moulded and enriched dado-rail and a fireplace surround
with a carved frieze, both of the late 18th century; the windows
have original shutters with ovolo-moulded and fielded panels,
and bolection-moulded architraves with moulded pedestalbases. The dining-room, W. of the drawing-room, has a dado
with fielded panels, doorways with moulded architraves and
panelled reveals and soffits, and window surrounds similar to
those of the drawing-room; all these are of the early 18th century.
The early 19th-century fireplace surround is of marble with
brackets carrying the shelf. The staircase, of c. 1725, has cut
strings with plain brackets, turned balusters with small square
blocks, and a moulded handrail mitred over the intermediate
newels and finishing in a volute at the bottom; the wall has a
panelled dado with pilasters opposite the newels. The first floor
of the W. wing contains some contemporary panelling and two
contemporary fireplace surrounds.
(5) Range of buildings (75839440), comprising two tenements
and a shop, 60 yds. N.W. of (1), is of two storeys with attics.
The walls are of cob with plaster rendering and the roofs are
thatched. The range was built in the second half of the 18th
century; a pump in one of the tenements is dated 1772 and this
may well be the date of the building. Before the end of the 18th
century an improvement was made by the addition of a first-floor bay-window at the W. end, and early in the 19th century
a shop-window was inserted in the S. front (Plate 61).
The bay-window is three-sided, with a flat front and splayed
convex sides, supported on two free-standing and two engaged
Roman-Doric columns of wood; it has a Venetian window in
the front, square-headed windows in the sides, all sashed, and a
crowning entablature with a fluted frieze; in the ground-floor
wall behind the columns are two late 19th-century terra-cotta
roundels depicting the heads of a man and a woman.
Inside, the room with the bay-window contains contemporary
fittings of unusually high quality for their setting; they include
a cupboard with segmental-headed, glazed and panelled
mahogany double doors, flanked by pilasters with moulded
bases and caps supporting a moulded archivolt; also a wood
pelmet to the window with a moulded border and painted
decoration of oak-leaves and floral sprays in black, white and
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 18th century and of two storeys, or
one storey with attics; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are thatched.
(6) Range of four tenements (75909431), 30 yds. S.E. of the
church, has walls of Flemish-bond brickwork with vitrified
headers; it retains two original casement windows with iron
frames and leaded quarries, and an original chimney-stack.
(7) Cottage, adjoining (6) on the S.E., has a stone plinth and
rendered walls, and pilasters with moulded caps at each end of
the street-front. It was built late in the 18th century.
(8) Ashton Cottage (75609433), set back from the S. side of the
road, 275 yds. W. of the church, has some cob walling; it was
built late in the 18th century.
(9) Cottage, 30 yds. N.W. of the foregoing, has walls in
Flemish-bond brickwork incorporating vitrified headers; it
retains on the first floor two original casement windows with
iron frames and catches. Inside there is an exposed stop-chamfered
(10) Cottage, adjoining (9) on the W., is of similar materials
(11) Post Office, adjoining (10), 330 yds. W. of the church,
has brick walls and slate covered roofs; it was built in the first
half of the 18th century. The N. front is symmetrical and has a
flat string at first-floor level consisting of bricks on edge. The
central doorway has a flat hood supported on shaped brackets;
the sashed windows have flat gauged-brick heads with key-blocks and flush frames; the window over the door is false.
(12) Prince of Wales Inn (75599440), ¼ m. W. of the church,
was burnt down in 1930 and rebuilt. Some 16th-century moulded
ceiling-beams and a boss carved with a Tudor rose have been
incorporated in the new structure.
(13) House (75519443), 360 yds. W. of the church, is partly
of two and partly of three storeys; some of the walls are rendered
and others are of brick. The house was built in the first half of
the 19th century. The S. front has plat-bands at first and second-floor levels and a small cornice and parapet. The windows are
sashed. Inside there are enriched plaster cornices.
(14) Cottage (75769439), 130 yds. W. of the church, was built
late in the 18th century; a small cottage adjoining on the W.,
built some few years earlier, has been incorporated with it.
(15) Tudor Cottage, adjoining the foregoing on the N., has
walls of banded flint and squared rubble with ashlar dressings,
and a thatched roof. The main range was probably built in 1573
and there are modern additions on the W. The E. front is of
two bays with a central doorway. The doorway has a moulded
four-centred head and continuous jambs with scroll stops; on
either side is a window of four hollow-chamfered square-headed
lights under a label with returned stops; a stone over the S.
window is inscribed 'R.B. 1573'. The upper part of the E. front,
with two three-light windows, is probably restoration work of
the 19th century. The gabled N. wall has a small mullioned and
transomed 19th-century window; the S. wall is masked by
an adjacent house, and the W. wall is masked by modern
additions. Inside, a central through-passage, now occupied by
the stairs which are secondary, leads to a blocked W. doorway;
the passage walls are not original and there is insufficient
evidence to determine the original ground plan; however the
fireplaces show that there must always have been two rooms.
The N. room has a fireplace at the centre of the N. wall, with
chamfered stone jambs corbelled out at the top to receive a
chamfered stone bressummer with rounded shoulders; the ceiling
has two stop-chamfered beams and there is a blocked doorway
in the W. wall. The S. room has a fireplace in the S. wall,
similar to that of the N. room except that the bressummer is of
wood; again there are two stop-chamfered beams. A blocked
doorway in the upper storey has a four-centred head.
(16) Cottage (75829439), 50 yds. N.W. of the church, has
rendered walls; the street front is divided into bays by thin
pilasters. The entrance doorway has a flat hood on shaped
brackets and a door with six moulded and fielded panels. The
windows are sashed, each with a wide centre light flanked by
two narrow lights.
(17) Cottage (75859419), 160 yds. S. of the church, was built
early in the 19th century. The glazing-bars of the sashed windows
are arranged to form a margin of narrow panes.
(18) Druce Higher Barn (74559743), over 2 m. N.E. of the
church, is of the early 19th century and has walls of Englishbonded brickwork. The barn was originally of nine bays with
weathered buttresses, but the two E. bays are now in ruins and
the W. bay has a floor and chimneys inserted, converting it into
(19) Ilsington Farm (75629192), house, 1½ m. S. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics; it was built in the 19th century but
it appears to incorporate elements of an older building. The N.
front is symmetrical; in the centre is a boldly projecting two-storied porch in which the porch arch is round-headed, with a
moulded stone head and jambs, and a keystone. The chimneys
are lofty and massive, comprising separate diagonal shafts with
linked caps standing on square bases, they are built of small
bricks, perhaps from an older building. Inside is a reset doorsurround with moulded timber head and jambs, and a cupboard
with a door made up of linen-fold panelling.
(20) Hastings Farm (76109179), house, 15/8 m. S. of the church,
has ground-floor walls faced with English-bonded brickwork,
with three courses of stretchers to one of headers, and cob walls
on the first floor. In the cob above the main doorway of the E.
front is a stone inscribed 'A.H. 1652', a probable date for the
building. The plan is a straight range of three rooms, with
windows to E. and W. and fireplaces in the gabled N. and S.
walls, the middle room being unheated. The present partitions
are modern and details of the original ground plan are lost. The
windows are of the 19th century.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(21) Settlement Remains (766947) of the deserted
village of Bardolfeston lie on the N. side of the Piddle
valley between 150 ft. and 230 ft. above O.D., on Chalk
and River Gravel, just over ½ m. N.E. of (1).
The village, together with (22) and Athelhampton (above,
p. 8), may well be included in Domesday among the various
entries for 'Piddle'. The uncertainty of the Domesday identification makes it impossible to ascertain the recorded population of
1086. Only seven taxpayers are recorded in the 1327 and 1333
Subsidy Rolls and, since the village had had a church and was
formerly the nucleus of a separate parish (Hutchins II, 616), the
14th-century population figures, together with the earthwork
remains, indicate that the settlement was already declining at this
date; nevertheless there may still have been people living there
in the 16th century, for it paid a subsidy of 18s. 4d. in 1512
(S. & D., N. & Q., III, (1892–3), 193). From a Chancery Deposition of 1636 (P.R.O., C21/C17/21) it appears that the settlement
was completely deserted by the 17th century; it is not recorded
in the Hearth Tax returns.
The remains, covering 15 acres, are well preserved, but the
village certainly extended further S. and has been destroyed in
the construction of water-meadows; there has also been extensive
quarrying in the N.E. part of the site (Plate 183).
The most prominent feature is a broad hollow-way running
S.W.–N.E. across the site; it is up to 40 ft. wide, and is 6 ft. deep
at the N.E. end. For most of its length the way is flanked by
house-sites, rectangular areas measuring from 20 ft. by 12 ft.
to 40 ft. by 18 ft.; they are bounded by banks or walls of flint
rubble, up to 2 ft. high. Most houses had opposed entrances and
at least two of them have traces of a scarped subdivision on the
uphill side of the cross-passage. Eleven certain house-sites exist
and the remains of four platforms along the hollow-way may
represent other houses. Behind several of the sites are irregular
areas or 'yards', within some of which are further platforms or
scoops, perhaps the sites of outbuildings.
The Deserted Village of Bardolfeston, Puddletown
The hollow-way and houses lie diagonally across a feature
which may represent an earlier stage of development; it consists
of a roughly L-shaped area, partly bounded by a low bank,
having within it traces of subdivisions bounded by scarps and
According to local tradition the Church stood to the S. of the
village, in the present water-meadows. Some 50 yds. S. of the
earthworks there is a roughly rectangular area, 30 yds. by 70 yds.,
orientated S.E.–N.W., around which the water-meadow
channels have been laid.
(22) Settlement Remains (733952), formerly part of
the hamlet of Waterston, lie immediately W. of Waterston House on the S. side of the R. Piddle.
The settlement is one of the unidentified Piddles in Domesday
Book. Although small, the population appears to have remained
constant throughout the later mediaeval period. Eighteen taxpayers are recorded in 1327, twelve men are listed in the 1539
Muster Rolls (L. & P., Henry VIII, Vol. 14, Pt. I, pp. 267–9),
and ten households were still listed in 1662 (Meekings, 12).
Abandonment is likely to be the result of a slight movement of
population rather than desertion. The remains cover about 4
acres and comprise at least six closes, 25 yds. to 30 yds. wide and
30 yds. to 35 yds. long, bounded by low banks and scarps up to
3½ ft. high. At the upper ends of the closes, near the road,
platforms measuring 45 ft. by 30 ft. are probably house-sites. A
terraceway 5 yds. to 7 yds. wide leaves the modern road 100 yds.
W.N.W. of the remains and passes to the N. of them, below
(23) Settlement Remains (771963) of Cheselbourne
Ford lie in the extreme N.E. of the parish, on the W.
side of Devil's Brook.
The settlement had a recorded population of six in 1086
(D.B. Vol. I., f. 83b) and of four in 1327. By the early 16th
century the population must have been very small indeed for in
1512 the settlement paid a subsidy of only 9s. 8d., little more
than half the amount paid by Bardolfeston which then was
almost deserted (S. & D., N. & Q., III, (1892–3), 193). By the
middle of the 17th century only one house is recorded (Meekings,
12), and even that was in ruins (Hutchins II, 617).
The remains cover 14 acres and consist of a line of ten rectangular closes along the edge of the brook; they are up to 150 yds.
long and 40 yds. wide and are bounded by banks 1½ ft. to 2 ft.
high and 15 ft. wide. Disturbed areas at the lower ends indicate
former house-sites. There are slight traces of other possible closes
to the N. (Destroyed, 1965.)
(24) Cultivation Remains. With one exception, nothing is
known of the various open field systems which probably
existed in the parish. Immediately E. of the deserted village of
Bardolfeston (768947), a furlong block of ridge-and-furrow
covering 8 acres is the only remaining trace of the open fields of
Roman and Prehistoric
'Celtic' Fields, see pp. 324, 331, Groups (36), (45).
Monuments (25–54), Round Barrows
Of the thirty round barrows which occur in the
parish, monuments (25–37) and monument (47) lie on
the heathland of the Reading Beds; the others are on
Chalk. The most northerly of the 'Rainbarrows' (25)
is almost certainly the one which was opened by
Cunnington (Cunnington MS. No. 27; Dorset Procs.
XXXVII (1916), 43); a cremation lay 8 ft. down, under
a central cairn 12 ft. in diameter and 4 ft. high. Two
(? three) bucket urns containing cremations from the
'Rainbarrows' are in D.C.M. (Dorset Procs. XXIX
(1908), 136; Ant. J. XIII (1933), 446; Arch. J. CXIX
(1962), 65). A barrow formerly existed at 73469104,
near Norris Mill, but it was almost entirely carted away
in 1872, being composed of sand and gravel; of twelve
urns which were found in the top of it, two survive in
D.C.M. (Cunnington MS. No. 5; Dorset Procs. XXIX
(1908), 140; B.A.P. II, figs. 424, 424a; Arch. J. CXIX
Three barrows (25–27), 'Rainbarrows', lie on Duddle Heath
at just over 300 ft. O.D., near the S. end of a ridge, overlooking
the valley of the R. Frome.
(25) Bowl (73469212), has been much damaged by a large hole
dug into the centre and by a boundary bank which crosses the
E. side of the mound. Part of the E. side has been cut away to
make a ride at the edge of a plantation. Diam. 75 ft., ht. 7½ ft.
Traces of ditch.
(26) Bowl (73539206), 100 yds. S.E. of (25), is overgrown with
bracken and scattered conifers. Diam. 69 ft., ht. 6 ft. Traces of
(27) Bowl (73549202), 50 yds. S.S.E. of (26), is damaged by a
wartime observation post on the S. and by a large hole dug into
the centre. Diam. 83 ft., ht. 8 ft. Traces of ditch.
(28) Bowl (73769176), 365 yds. S.E. of (27), in Puddletown
Forest, lies on top of a natural knoll at 250 ft. O.D. Shallow holes
have been dug into the top of the mound and it has been much
disturbed by rabbits. Diam. 95 ft., ht. 7½ ft. Traces of ditch.
(29) Bowl (74219166), 500 yds. E.S.E. of (28), on the S. edge of
Puddletown Forest, lies at just under 200 ft. O.D. on ground
sloping gently S. to the valley of the R. Frome. The mound is
thickly overgrown and a track has cut away the base on the S.
side. Traces of ditch.
(30) Bowl (74539150), 600 yds. E.N.E. of Duck Dairy House
and below 150 ft. O.D., lies in the broad flat valley bottom of
the R. Frome. The mound which is composed of alluvium is
crossed by a field boundary, and W. of this boundary it is lower
and much disturbed, especially by a modern track. The surrounding ditch, 12 ft. wide and 1 ft. deep, is well defined on the
N. side. Diam. 120 ft., ht. 6 ft.
(31) Bowl (73309291), on the W. edge of Puddletown Forest,
lies on the S. slope of a ridge just above 400 ft. O.D. The centre
has been dug into and the whole mound is very much overgrown.
Diam. 25 ft., ht. 3 ft.
Four barrows (32–35) lie in Puddletown Forest, along the top
of a narrow E.–W. ridge; the first three are close together above
300 ft. O.D.; (35) is further E. at a slightly lower level. All have
traces of ditches and are now planted with conifers.
(32) Bowl (74409299), centre dug into. Diam. 37 ft., ht. 2½ ft.
(33) Bowl (74409297), 20 yds. S. of (32). Diam. 31 ft., ht.
(34) Bowl (74419296), 25 yds. S.E. of (33). Diam. 37 ft., ht.
(35) Bowl (74659296), 260 yds. E. of (34). Diam. 28 ft., ht.
(36) Barrow ? (74809240), just over 200 ft. O.D., lies near the
N. end of Castle Hill, an oval hillock in the heathland with steep
N. slopes. Diam. 35 ft., ht. 5 ft.
Eleven barrows (37–47) lie scattered in the W. part of the
parish between Stinsford and Piddlehinton; much of the land is
covered with 'Celtic' fields, now much ploughed (Group (36)).
The barrows lie between 300 ft. and 450 ft. O.D. on top of and
along the N. slopes of Waterston Ridge and on the high ground
N.W. of it. Monuments (41) and (42) are a continuation of the
scatter of barrows at Fidler's Green (Stinsford (13–16)).
(37) Barrow ? (70429489), lying at the angle of a 'Celtic' field,
is perhaps no more than the remains of a lynchet corner. Diam.
60 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(38) Barrow ? (70689497), 300 yds. E.N.E. of (37), is incorporated in 'Celtic' fields. A lynchet runs up to it on either side.
Diam. 69 ft., ht. 2½ ft.
(39) Barrow ? (70779510), 180 yds. N.E. of (38), is heavily
ploughed. Diam. 24 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(40) Barrow ? (70929522), 200 yds. N.E. of (39). Diam. 65 ft.,
ht. 2 ft.
(41) Barrow ? (70979457). Diam. 45 ft., ht. 3 ft.
(42) Bowl (71009449), 90 yds. S.S.E. of (41), is thickly overgrown. Diam. 46 ft., ht. 6 ft.
(43) Bowl (71519476), 300 yds. S.W. of Laycock Dairy Farm
on the lower N. slope of Waterston Ridge, is now almost
completely ploughed out and shows only as a slight rise in the
(44) Bowl (71529474), 25 yds. S.S.E. of (43), is in similar
(45) Bowl (71859492), 70 yds. E. of Laycock Dairy Farm, is
somewhat spread. Diam. 49 ft., ht. 3 ft.
(46) Bowl (71839442), 540 yds. S. of (45) and on the N. crest
of the ridge, has been dug into on the top and is somewhat spread
on the N. side. Diam. 60 ft., ht. 4½ ft.
(47) Robin's Barrow, bowl (72419463), 680 yds. E.N.E. of
(46), lies at the E. end of the ridge with a steep slope on the N.
It has been severely mutilated by the insertion of a water tank
and its outline is very irregular. Diam. 47 ft., ht. 4½ ft. (formerly).
Four barrows (48–51) lie in the N. of the parish, scattered along
a N.–S. ridge above 300 ft. O.D., among the much ploughed
remains of 'Celtic' fields (Group (45)). An air photograph
(Camb. Univ. Colln. AGT 18) suggests the possibility of two
more barrows, one immediately S.S.E. of (50), the other 115
yds. to the N.N.E. (74139703).
(48) Bowl (74129650), at the S. end of the ridge, has been dug
into from the S. side, almost to the centre. Diam. 61 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(49) Bowl (74179676), 290 yds. N.N.E. of (48) on the E. side
of the ridge, has been dug in the centre. Diam. 52 ft., ht. 3 ft.
(50) Bowl (74109694), 210 yds. N.N.W. of (49), lies on a
gentle slope on the W. side of the ridge and is much spread by
former ploughing. Diam. 45 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(51) Bowl (74239745), 580 yds. N.N.E. of (50), on the W.
slope of the ridge, is much ploughed. Diam. 57 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
Three barrows (52–4) lie on Puddletown Down in a line along
the top of an E.–W. ridge; they are just under 400 ft. O.D. and
lie among fragmentary remains of 'Celtic' fields.
(52) Bowl (75209749) has a slight hollow in its centre. Diam.
65 ft., ht. 3 ft.
(53) Bowl (75269745), 75 yds. S.E. of (52), is much spread by
ploughing. Diam. 64 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(54) Bowl (75349742) lies 180 yds. S.E. of (53). Diam. 79 ft.,
ht. 3 ft.