25 TARRANT GUNVILLE (9212)
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 81 SE, ST 91 SW, ST 91 NW)
Tarrant Gunville, covering 3,469 acres, is the most
northerly of the parishes which take their name from
the R. Tarrant; it lies on Chalk, the land sloping
down from 500 ft. above sea-level in the N.W. to 240 ft.
in the S.E. (Plate 73); it is drained by the Tarrant.
In the N. and N.E. much of the land is still forested
with coppices of Cranborne Chase. Two Iron Age
enclosures and traces of extensive 'Celtic' fields are
found. There were two mediaeval settlements, Stubhampton in the centre of the Parish and Gunville in
the S.E. Tarrant Gunville contains the parish church
and Eastbury House, a surviving fragment of one or
Vanbrugh's great mansions; the contours of extensive
gardens designed by Bridgeman can still be traced. A
number of houses and cottages in Gunville, with walls
of ashlar and flint, presumably are built with materials
salvaged from the mansion after its demolition in 1782.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the
S.W. of the village. Wall arcading discovered during
the 19th century and reset in the N. aisle, above the
eastern bay of the nave arcade, indicates a former church
of c. 1100. The western part of the North and South
Aisles, the South Porch and the tower arch are of late
14th-century origin. The Tower was completed by the
early 15th century, but the top stage appears to have
been partly rebuilt in the 16th century. In 1843 the
Chancel and Nave were rebuilt, the aisles were re-roofed
and the North Vestry was added (Ecclesiologist, III
(1843), 58, 96; XI (1850), 207; XII (1851), 122–5).
Architectural Description—The 19th-century Chancel has an
E. window of three trefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery
in a two-centred head; the N. and S. walls have windows with
single trefoil-headed lights. The chancel arch is two-centred
and of two chamfered orders springing from responds with
Above the chancel arch the Nave has two small E. windows,
each of one cinquefoil-headed light in a square-headed surround.
The N. and S. arcades are of 1843 and have two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders rising from cylindrical piers with
moulded capitals. On each side the first, third and fifth bays have
square-headed clearstorey windows of two cinquefoil-headed
The North Aisle has an E. window of 1843 with two trefoil-headed lights with a central quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In
the N. wall the vestry doorway has a chamfered two-centred
head. Further W. are two square-headed windows each of two
trefoil ogee-headed lights; the heads are of 1843, but the lower
part of each opening is of the 14th century. Reset in the S. wall
of the aisle, between the nave arcade and the aisle roof, are two
and a half bays of interlaced round-headed wall arcading, with
plain pilasters, moulded imposts and plain archivolts (Plate 8).
Hutchins (III, 459) records that the arcading was discovered 'in a
like position' when the old building was demolished; it probably
decorated the outer face of the N. wall of the original chancel.
In the Vestry the E. doorway, with a chamfered two-centred
head, chamfered jambs and a relieving arch of small voussoirs,
incorporates reset mediaeval material; the N. window is similar
to the E. window of the N. aisle, but smaller.
Tarrant Gunville, the Parish Church of St. Mary
The South Aisle has E. and S. windows similar to the windows
of the N. aisle. The 14th-century S. doorway has a chamfered
two-centred head and continuous jambs; the surface of the
masonry has been reworked and the chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch is rendered. In the W. wall of the aisle is a late
14th-century window of two trefoil ogee-headed lights and a
quatrefoil tracery light, under a two-centred head with a
moulded label with square stops with leaf centres, and with a
chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch.
The West Tower is of three stages, with a battered, weathered
and moulded plinth, weathered and moulded string-courses,
and an embattled parapet with a moulded coping. In the two
lower stages the N.W. and S.W. corners have diagonal buttresses
with weathered offsets. The third stage, altered in the 16th
century, has corner pilasters which continue in the parapet,
passing through the parapet string-course; a badly decayed
gargoyle masks the intersection of each pilaster and the string-course. Crocketed finials which formerly capped the pilasters are
now inside the belfry. In the lower stage the 14th-century tower
arch, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, springs from
three-sided responds with moulded capitals, shaped stops and
rectangular chamfered plinths. The stair turret, of 1843, has a
reset mediaeval two-centred door-head with a weathered label.
The W. window in the lower stage of the tower is of the 15th
century and has two trefoil-headed lights under a quatrefoil
tracery light in a casement-moulded two-centred head; the S.
window, uniform with that on the W., but without casement
mouldings, is of 1843. In the second stage the tower has a small
15th-century S. window of one light with a chamfered two-centred head; the hollow-chamfered inner surround is later. In
the third stage the E. side of the tower retains the creasing of a
former nave roof, higher than the present roof. The N. side has
a belfry window of two trefoil-headed lights with a central
quatrefoil in a casement-moulded two-centred head; the central
mullion has gone. The W. side has a similar window, complete.
The S. belfry window has two square-headed lights from which
the mullion has gone, under blind tracery in a two-centred head.
The South Porch, partly rebuilt in 1843, retains a 14th-century
archway with a two-centred head of two chamfered orders, the
inner order dying into the responds and the outer order continuous, with broach stops. The S. gable has chamfered kneelers and
a plain coping.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st inscribed 'Iohn Tvrner, Thomas
Sannders, Chvrchwarde: Clement Tosier cast me in yer of
1714, NS'; 2nd by John Wallace, inscribed 'In God reioyce ever,
IW 1623'; 3rd by Thomas Mears, 1843. Brass and Indent: In S.
aisle, reset below E. window of S. wall, portion of brass plate
with black-letter inscription; 15th century. Reset in tower vice,
broken floor-slab with indent 7 ins. by 1½ ins. Chair: with turned
legs, uprights and stretchers, shaped front stretcher, shaped and
fretted back cresting, cane back-panel; 17th century. Coffin-stools: pair, with turned legs, plain stretchers and beaded tops;
late 17th century. Glass: In nave, reset in N. window above
chancel arch, panel with shield-of-arms of King Henry VIII impaling those of Queen Katharine Howard, in garter, with crown
above and rose and portcullis badges below, and with initials
HR and KH; reset in corresponding S. window, similar panel
with King Henry's arms impaling those of Queen Katharine
Parr, with initials KP, other details as before; 16th century. In S.
aisle, reset in W. window, small shield-of-arms of Keynell impaling another coat, probably 18th century. In N. window of
vestry, black-letter inscription 'IW restoravit 1845', with foliate
ornament. In W. window of tower, two panels with grisaille,
foliate borders and black-letter inscription 'Ex dono THW et
TB, 1845'. Graffiti: on N. respond of tower arch, scratched names
Monuments: In S. aisle, on S. wall, (1) of Thomas Wedgwood,
1805, marble tablet by Kent of Blandford. In tower, on N. wall,
(2) of Richard and Abigail Swayne, 1725, segmental-headed
marble monument with cherub-head frieze, pilasters and segmental cornice. Externally, reset in S. wall of chancel, (3) of
[Thomas Daccomb], stone tablet with inscription in incised
Roman capitals 'HERE LITHE S.T.D. PARSON: All FOWRE BE BVT
ONE, EARTHE FLESCH, WORME AND BONE: X : MCCCCCLXVII'
(Plate 23). Above, on separate tablet, shield-of-arms of Daccomb
Niche: Above porch arch, with cinquefoil two-centred head,
14th century. Plate: includes Elizabethan cup by the 'Gillingham'
silversmith, of usual pattern; two cups with assay marks of 1809,
one inscribed 'Tarrant Gunville near Blandford Dorset', the
other with 'Given to the Parish of Gunville by Francis Simpson
Rector 1810'; stand-paten without assay marks, perhaps 17th
century; stand-paten with mark of 1723 and inscription 'Gunvil
1727'; spoon with round bowl and tapering handle, square in
section, with finial in form of beast holding shield, perhaps 16th
century, foreign. Royal Arms: above tower arch, painted metal
panel with arms of Victoria in foliate border; above, scroll with
inscription 'Fear God Honour the King', 1843. Scratch Dial: on
S. wall of porch, with black-letter numerals and stump of iron
gnomon, early 16th century.
(2) Eastbury House (93211270), of two and of three
storeys, with walls mainly of Greensand ashlar and with
slate-covered roofs (Plate 70), is a surviving fragment
of the splendid mansion designed by Vanbrugh for
George Dodington and his nephew George Bubb, afterwards Lord Melcombe, and erected between 1717 and
1738. On Lord Melcombe's death in 1762 the house
passed to Lord Temple who, unable to find either a
buyer or a tenant for what then was considered an
eyesore, demolished the greater part, between c. 1775
and 1782 (Plate 71).
For descriptions and illustrations of the former house,
see Colen Campbell, Vitruvius Britannicus, III, pls.
15–19; Bishop Pococke, Travels through England, II,
138–40 (Camden Soc., xliv, 1889); Hutchins III,
454–8; Oswald, 149–153; Laurence Whistler, Country
Life, 1948, 1386–9. Campbell's plan is reproduced on
The present house is formed from part of two parallel
ranges, formerly stables, which stood on the N. of
Vanbrugh's forecourt. Early in the 19th century the
house was aquired by J. J. Farquharson, whose descendants still own it. From 1800 to 1805 it was occupied by Thomas Wedgwood, a son of the great potter.
Other surviving elements of Vanbrugh's work include
the arch on the W. of the former stable court (Plate
80), the main gateway of the park (Plate 70), the
cellar under the octagonal' Eating Room' on the E.
of the former kitchen court, and earthwork remains
of the former gardens.
Architectural Description—The S. range of the house comprises the nine central bays of Vanbrugh's stable range, together
with the corresponding forecourt arcade. The S. front is symmetrical, with the three middle bays in the form of a three-storeyed tower, flanked by two-storeyed wings. The lower
storey, with round-headed sashed windows, is fronted by the
nine uniform round-headed arches of the arcade, with moulded
archivolts springing from plain imposts on rectangular ashlar
piers. The loggia behind the arcade has plain cross-vaulting. In
the second storey the tower has three tall round-headed sashed
windows, and each wing has three small bull's-eye lights below
a plain entablature with a moulded cornice. In the third storey
the tower has small segmental-headed sashed windows; above is
a bold modillion cornice and a parapet with a plain coping. An
18th-century painting in the house (Country Life, loc. cit., fig. 2)
shows that the tower parapet originally had acorn finials; these
now stand on the ground in front of the building.
The E. elevation has, in the lower storey, a large three-light
sashed window with Ionic pilasters and entablature of Bath
stone, probably formed c. 1800 when the eastern bays of the
original range were removed. The upper storey has two small
square-headed windows. The gable, with a blind roundel and
a chimney-stack finial, appears to be the E. gable of the original
stable range, moved to a new position. The W. elevation is
similar to that on the E., but with two round-headed windows
in the lower storey; again the gable and finial are likely to have
originated at the W. end of the former stable range. The N.
elevation of Vanbrugh's stable range is partly masked by 19th-century additions, but the western part is exposed. In the lower
storey, corresponding with the three western bays of the S. front,
are two round-headed recesses with plain archivolts springing
from pilasters with plain imposts; each recess contains a round-headed window, now walled up. Further E. the lower storey is
masked, but the first and second storeys have details as described
in the S. front; the central bay, however, is set forward from the
lateral bays to emphasize the former entrance to the stables.
The two-storeyed N. range comprises the eastern half of
Vanbrugh's second stable range. The walls are of coursed Greensand ashlar, with plain plinths and cornices similar to those of the
S. range. The range now is of seven bays, with tall round-headed
windows in the lower storey and with segmental-headed
windows above. The gabled N. wall has a simple open pediment
formed by the return of the cornice, and a round-headed first-floor window. The S. wall, of rubble, was originally an internal
partition. The piers at the S.E. and S.W. angles retain the imposts
for the archway which connected the two stable courts in
The E. range is single-storeyed and remains externally much
as built, except that the octagonal chapel has been reduced in
height from two storeys to one, and a straight wall with three
large round-headed arches has taken the place of the three eastern
sides. The original form of the chapel is seen in the painting
mentioned above. In the E. elevation, immediately N. and S. of
the former chapel, are single-storeyed bays with original round-headed openings. Further N. and S. are original galleries with
elliptical bull's-eye windows; the southern gallery is now
reduced to a single bay.
Inside, the rooms are of c. 1800. The ground-floor drawing-room at the W. end of the S. range has a richly carved fireplace
surround and other carved woodwork of 18th-century date,
brought from elsewhere. The doorways have carved pulvinated
friezes and broken pediments enclosing shell finials. The adjoining room has a reset chimneypiece with a pedimented overmantel with Ionic pilasters, and panelled walls enriched with
swags of drapery and flower pendants. The rooms on the E. also
have reset enrichments similar to those described. The stairs up
to the first floor in the S. range are modern; above, they are of
c. 1800 and have open strings, turned balusters, square newels
and heavy moulded handrails; the step spandrels have plain
scrolls; the dado has fielded panelling, and moulded capping
corresponding with the handrail. The staircase in the N. range,
with close strings, turned balusters and heavy moulded handrails
carried across plain newel-posts, is an original feature of Vanbrugh's stable range.
The third and northernmost Stable Range of the three parallel
ranges, shown on Campbell's plan (Plate 71) but not on Bridgeman's garden plan (Plate 72), appears to have been added in the
second half of the 18th century. It is single-storeyed and has
gabled E. and W. ends and a S. front of ashlar, with plain round-headed windows. The N. wall, of brick, is probably part of
Bridgeman's garden wall, adapted when the range was built.
Immediately on the E. of the range the brick wall is pierced by
an elliptical-headed ashlar archway.
Below ground, some 80 yds. S. of the present house is a half-ruined octagonal Cellar, nearly 24 ft. in diameter, with walls and
shallow domical vault in English-bonded brickwork. Adjacent
on the N. is a small rectangular chamber with a cross-vault, and
further N. is a corridor with a barrel-vaulted roof. These are the
substructures of the range on the S. of Vanbrugh's house,
corresponding with the Chapel range on the N.; the octagonal
building is described on Campbell's plan as the 'Eating Room'.
The original Archway on the W. of Vanbrugh's stable court
(Plate 80) is of Greensand ashlar and comprises a single round-headed arch, with a slightly projecting archivolt, above massive
piers with plain plinths and string-courses. Above is an entablature with an arcaded corbel-table and a plain coping. Buttresses
flanking the arch are surmounted by stone scrolls, decorated with
acanthus foliage in contrast with the austere plainness of the
other masonry. By a freak of nature two saplings lodged in the
parapet have grown to a considerable size.
The Gateway to the main approach, about 500 yds. W. of the
former house, has original rusticated piers with ball finials,
flanked by plain ashlar screen walls with smaller ball finials at
each end (Plate 70). On the E. side, facing into the park, each
screen wall has a round-headed niche. On the W., set forward
from the gateway, detached piers, smaller than those first
described, are said to be of recent construction. At the approach
to the gateway the road passes over the R. Tarrant on an original
round-arched bridge with heavy rusticated voussoirs.
Another Gateway to the park, 800 yds. S. of the former house,
on the parish boundary with Tarrant Hinton, has ashlar piers
with vermiculate rustication surmounted by pedimented finials
with swags of drapery on the friezes; below the friezes are platbands with Greek-key enrichment.
The Gardens on the E. of the house, designed by Charles
Bridgeman, were laid out while the house was under construction. They were one of Bridgeman's early works and serve to
illustrate the combination of formal 17th-century garden layout
with the 18th-century concept of romantic parkland, the park
becoming a background for the garden. Several of Bridgeman's
drawings, basically alike, but with minor variations, are preserved in the Bodleian Library (Gough Maps, vi, ff. 93, 94); the
central part of one drawing is reproduced on Plate 72. The
general outline of the gardens, preserved in the form of earthworks (plan opposite), composed an approximately oval shape
some 500 yds. by 300 yds., with the house set axially at the W.
end. A ha-ha formed much of the perimeter and within it the
gardens were laid out in the old formal style. A long vista,
extending eastwards from the great saloon at the centre of the
E. front of the house, traversed a parterre, a canal, a glade and a
round pool, and terminated in a terraced amphitheatre at the
top of which was a portico, called the Great Temple. On each
side of the vista, near the house, were formal flower beds, groves
and lawns; beyond, to the E., rectangular groves were intersected by grassy walks. A cross-axis centred on the canal extended northwards across a terraced lawn between two octagonal
mounds crowned with trees; to E. and W. were walled gardens.
On the S. the cross-axis passed through an area with flower beds,
flanked to E. and W. by rectangular groves of trees; further W.
lay another walled garden.
The formal gardens were surrounded by an extensive park,
broken up by groves into rectangular and triangular areas. On
the N. the two octagonal mounds of the N.–S. cross-axis were
echoed by fourteen small tree-covered hillocks, set out in two
parallel lines across the park.
The garden was abandoned in 1782 and the area appears
without regular form on O.S., 1811. Some of the trees were
'removed hither some miles off after fifty years growth and
weighed three tons' (Hutchins III, 456). The park was altered in
the 19th century, and some of the square groves were incorporated with belts of trees, forming a triangle with Gunville House
(3) at the apex; probably at about the same time houses on either
side of the main gate were removed. The W. half of the central
garden, including the lawns and the canal, was destroyed before
1840; the Tithe Map of that year shows the area as arable. The E.
part of the garden remained, abandoned but intact, until it was
ploughed up in 1958.
In spite of the destruction much of the layout remains; the
adaptation of the original design to the sloping ground necessitated considerable earthworks, and these are still seen, even in the
ploughed areas. The W. part of the central vista and its associated
lawns, canal and groves was separated from the areas on the N.
and S. by scarps 6 ft. to 8 ft. high, which still remain; the glades
at the E. end also remain as slight depressions in the modern
fields. In the same area part of the central vista survives as a broad
sunk way, 50 ft. wide and 3 ft. deep. The canal appears as a soilmark on air photographs (R.A.F., V.A.P., 58/3250: 0133–4),
probably because it is lined with masonry. The circular pond
and the amphitheatre at the E. end have now entirely gone, but
traces of the general layout and of the enclosing ha-ha are seen
on air photographs taken before the ploughing (R.A.F., V.A.P.
CPE/UK 1974: 4150–1 and CPE/UK 1944: 4315–6). On the S. side
of the garden the ha-ha remains intact, and slight traces of one of
the groves together with a sunk way which was one of the grassy
walks continue to exist in an overgrown wood. The walled
garden in the S.W. corner, immediately S. of the S. wing of the
former house, remains as a sunk rectangular area 1 ft. deep.
On the N., the brick perimeter walls of the three gardens
remain. The terraced lawn at the centre of this side of the garden
remains, as do the octagonal mounds; the latter are about 140 ft.
in diameter and 20 ft. high, and retain their octagonal pyramidal
form, with small rounded mounds on top. Beyond, in the park,
eleven of the fourteen hillocks still exist, some 50 ft. in diameter
and 4 ft. high. The two southernmost hillocks were destroyed
in the present century and one of the others had already been
destroyed before 1840; of the remaining hillocks, two have been
reduced by modern ploughing.
Elsewhere in the park the sites of former groves are marked
by square or triangular enclosures, bounded by low banks up to
1 ft. high and 8 ft. wide. The road approaching the house from
the W. lies in the bottom of an artificial valley, 130 ft. wide and
3 ft. to 5 ft. deep.
(3) Gunville House (92491261), of three storeys,
with walls partly of ashlar and partly rendered, and with
slate-covered roofs, is of the late 18th century; in 1798
it was advertised as 'newly erected' (Salisbury Journal,
19 March). The house appears to have been built by
the Chapman family in place of an old manor house
which formerly belonged to the Swaynes. Some of
the materials may well have been taken from Eastbury
on its demolition in 1782. In 1799 the house was
occupied by Josiah Wedgwood II, a year before his
brother Thomas moved into the remains of Eastbury.
The rendered N. front, symmetrical and of five bays, has on
the ground floor a central doorway under a porch with Ionic
columns and a flat entablature, flanked by square-headed sashed
windows and, in the outer bays, Palladian windows with Tuscan
columns; the two upper storeys have plain square-headed sashed
windows; the roof is masked by an ashlar parapet above a
moulded cornice. The ashlar S. front is a severely plain composition of seven bays, with a central doorway in the lower storey
and plain square-headed sashed windows elsewhere. A two-storeyed service wing on the E. of the main block has the
windows of the S. front so arranged that the wing appears to be
single-storeyed. A corresponding wing on the W., containing
a ball-room, was built c. 1880 and has recently been demolished.
Inside, the principal rooms have dadoes and fireplace surrounds
in the 'Adam' style with carton-pierre enrichment; the room at
the centre of the S. front has doorcases, frieze and ceiling cornice
richly decorated in the same manner. A small marble chimneypiece was supplied by Flaxman in 1800 (B.M. Add. MS. 37884,
BB, 14). Until recently the S.W. room had a wooden dado
painted with bacchanalian scenes; these panels, perhaps of 18th-century origin, are said to have been brought from Holland in
the second half of the 19th century.
The Stables, 50 yds. N. of the house, are two-storeyed and have
brick walls and slated roofs with lead ridges; they are of the late
18th century and have a half-H plan. In the gardens are seven
heraldic stone lions, sejant and bearing shields-of-arms; three
shields are blank, one has the arms of Dodington, the others are
not decipherable; presumably these ornaments were brought
from Eastbury and are of the first half of the 18th century. A cast
lead pump-head has the initials J. W. for Josiah Wedgwood, and
the date 1801.
(4) The Old Rectory (92621271), of three storeys with
cellars, has walls of banded flint and ashlar, and tile-covered roofs
(Plate 74); it was built for Francis Simpson, rector 1797–1827,
probably early in his incumbency (letter from Simpson, B.M.
Add. MS. 37909, f. 138). The N., E. and S. fronts are each
symmetrical and of three bays, with tall windows in the
two principal storeys and with square windows in the third
storey, all sashed. The W. elevation has only the staircase
The Old Rectory
Inside, the stairs up to first-floor level are of stone, with
moulded nosing and plain timber balustrades; above the first
floor they are of wood, with Tuscan column newel-posts. The
principal ground-floor rooms have moulded plaster cornices and
marble fireplace-surrounds. The study has original bookcases.
(5) Bussey Stool Farm (92821476), house, partly of two
storeys and partly single-storeyed with attics, has walls partly of
brick and partly of flint and rubble with random blocks of ashlar,
and ashlar quoins; the roofs are tiled. The original 17th-century
range was single-storeyed and had a class-I plan. (fn. 1) Early in the
18th century a two-storeyed brick-built wing was added on the
W. side of the range, at the N. end, and soon afterwards the N.
end of the 17th-century range was refaced in brickwork and
increased in height to correspond with the wing, thus creating a
two-storeyed N. elevation of four bays, with square-headed
casement windows, simple brick pilasters, and a brick dentil
eaves cornice. Inside, the ground-floor rooms of the 17th-century
range have stop-chamfered ceiling beams; several rooms in the
attic have doors with 17th-century moulded panelling, one of
them hung on original wrought-iron hinges. The first-floor
room of the 18th-century wing has fielded panelling in two
heights, and a fireplace surround and overmantel with bolection-moulded wood panelling.
(6) Marlborough Farm (92431308), house, of two storeys,
with walls of banded flint and ashlar, is of the late 18th century;
the roofs were formerly thatche, but are now asbestos-covered.
The S.W. front is symmetrical and of three bays, with a central
doorway under a hood with shaped timber brackets, and with
square-headed casement windows in both storeys of the side
bays; above the doorway is a blind recess. Inside, the plan is of
class I. Each main ground-floor room has an exposed chamfered
(7) China Cottage (92581297), of two storeys, with walls
partly of brickwork and partly of flint and ashlar, and with
thatched roofs, is probably of the late 18th century. The building
appears to have originated as two tenements. Inside, an open
fireplace has a chamfered oak bressummer.
(8) House (92601282), of two storeys, with walls of banded
flint and brickwork and with a slate-covered roof, is of the early
19th century. The S.W. front is symmetrical and of three bays
with segmental-headed two-light casement windows and a central doorway. Inside, the plan is of class T. The parlour has an
original chimneypiece with a moulded mantelshelf; flanking it
are cupboards with shaped shelves.
(9) Home Farm (91721210), formerly 'Glebe Farm', is a two-storeyed farmhouse with cob walls and a tiled roof. The house
is of the late 19th century, but it is constructed within the walls
and under the roof of a small barn of c. 1800.
Unless otherwise described, the following 18th-century dwellings are of two storeys and have cob walls
and thatched roofs; the ground-plans are of class S.
(10) Cottage (92591278), probably of the early 18th century,
is single-storeyed with an attic. Inside, two chamfered beams
are exposed. Adjacent on the S. is a 19th-century smithy.
(11) Cottage (92551278), with walls of flint and ashlar and
with slate-covered roofs, is of the early 19th century. Adjoining
cottages on the N.W. and S.E. are of somewhat later date.
(12) Cottage (92521284), with a high plinth of flint with
ashlar quoins at the base of the cob, has a symmetrical N.E. front
of three bays.
(13) Cottage (92471285), with the lower storey of flint and
ashlar, and the upper storey of cob, dates probably from early
in the 18th century. The two original rooms have been combined and another room has been added on the N.W. Inside,
some chamfered beams are exposed.
(14) Cottage (92521291), with walls of rubble with brick
quoins, is of late 18th or early 19th-century origin. The original
dwelling has been enlarged by the addition of an adjoining
tenement, with one room in each storey.
(15) Westbury (92441293), farmhouse, was originally two
class-S cottages. One cottage is of the mid 18th century and has
cob walls; at right-angles on the W. is a late 18th-century cottage
with walls of chequered flint and ashlar, probably derived from
Eastbury. Additions on the E., of flint with brick quoins, are of
the 19th century.
(16) Cottage (92421300).
(17) Cottages (92201330), two adjacent, now combined to
form one dwelling, have each a class-S plan. The S. tenement is
the older of the two, but its upper storey was rebuilt in the 19th
century. The N. tenement is of ashlar and rubble, probably taken
(18) Cottage (92071341), of one storey with an attic, has cob
walls heightened in brickwork, and tiled roofs; it comprises two
small class-S tenements. (N. tenement demolished, 1968.)
Four early 19th-century cottages in Gunville are two-storeyed,
with cob walls and thatched or modern slated roofs; all but one
have class-S plans: Park Cottage (92751254); Cottage (92501288),
with a class-J plan; Cottage (92381310); Cottage (92181332).
(19) Cottages (91431418), two adjacent, now combined, are
single-storeyed and have cob walls and thatched roofs. Both
dwellings are of the 18th century, that on the S.W. being the
earlier; in each the plan is of class S. Inside, there are exposed
beams and two open fireplaces.
(20) Stubhamption Farm (91751378), house, of two storeys,
with flint and rubble walls, ashlar and brick quoins, and slate-covered roofs, is of the late 18th century. The S.W. front is
symmetrical and of three bays, with a central doorway and with
segmental-headed three-light casement windows. Inside, the
plan is of class T. A stable building on the N. of the house is
(21) Farmhouse (91841366), of two storeys, with banded
brick and flint walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the early 19th
century. The plan is of class T.
The following monuments are of the late 18th or of
the first half of the 19th century; they are two-storeyed
with tiled roofs, and all have class-S plans, either paired
or single. In each case the range is set at right-angles
to the road.
(22) Cottage (91401409), with walls of brick, flint and cob.
(23) Cottage (91481405), with cob walls, has been extended
on the N.E.
(24) Cottages (91691383), pair, have walls of banded brickwork and flint in the lower storey, and of cob above.
(25) Cottage (91841362), has walls as described in (24).
(26) House (91851359), formerly a pair of cottages, has walls
wholly of brickwork banded with flint.
(27) Cottages (91861356), pair, are uniform with (24).
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
For earthwork remains at Eastbury, see (2).
(28) Settlement Remains (927126), near the principal gateway to Eastbury, occur on both sides of the Tarrant brook.
Houses were still standing early in the 19th century (O.S., 1811),
but at least four of them had gone by 1840 (Tithe Map) and the
others were removed later in the 19th century. The remains
comprise ten or more long closes, bounded by low banks set at
right-angles to the brook. Disturbed areas at the lower ends of
the closes indicate former buildings.
(29) Cultivation Remains. Nothing is known of the mediaeval fields of Stubhampton or Gunville. Indistinct traces of contour
strip lynchets N.W. of Gunville (920133) probably represent the
fields of that settlement. More extensive traces of contour strip
lynchets on the S.W. of Stubhampton (917136) have recently
been ploughed down. 'Celtic' fields on Stubhampton Down
(see p. 120, Group (76)) were reploughed to form strip cultivation in mediaeval times, or perhaps later.
(30) Harbin's Park (9013), a Deer Park of 115 acres recorded
in 1279, lies in the W. of the parish and extends across the E.
declivity of a dry valley. More or less rectangular in plan, it is
bounded by banks up to 16 ft. in width and 5 ft. in height, with
inner ditches 15 ft. wide (Dorset Procs., 86 (1965), 170–2).
(31) Pillow Mound (90741422), an unploughed 'island
surrounded by arable on the steep S. slope of Earl's Hill, lies
parallel with the contours and is 85 ft. long and 16 ft. wide. A
shallow ditch 7 ft. wide lies along the up-hill side, and a terrace
9 ft. wide, probably the remains of a ditch, lies along the downhill side of the mound. From above the mound stands 1 ft. high;
from below it is 4 ft. high. (Wessex from the Air, 20.)
Roman and Prehistoric
Roman Road from Badbury Rings to Bath, traversing the
E. side of the parish, see Dorset V.
'Celtic' Fields, see pp. 119, 120; Groups (73), (76).
Iron Age Hill-fort
(32) Iron Age Hill-Fort (930156), at Bussey Stool Park,
450 ft. above sea-level, occupies a level site at the S. end of a
Chalk spur. It is an oval, univallate enclosure of 5½ acres, with
entrances on the N.W. and S.E. The earthwork is planted with
trees and much of it, especially the defences, is barely accessible
on account of the thick undergrowth. Where well-preserved the
bank is 34 ft. across and 6 ft. high; the ditch is 28 ft. across and
5 ft. deep. The entrances are about 15 ft. wide, flanked by the
out-turned ends of the banks. On the N. of the S.E. entrance
some 80 ft. of the bank has been removed. (Sumner, Cranborne
(33) Enclosure (93051523), probably of the Iron Age, lies on
a gentle S. slope at the head of a shallow combe, some 250 yds.
S. of (32). It is sub-rectangular in plan, with an internal area of
1¼ acres; the entrance, on the S., faces down the combe. The
enclosure was levelled c. 1911 and today appears only as a soilmark or crop-mark, but before levelling it had a bank and ditch
up to 45 ft. wide, with the bank standing some 4 ft. high above
the interior. Burnt flints have been found on the site, but nothing
else. (Sumner, op. cit., 31; Dorset Procs., 82 (1960), 84.)
(34) Enclosure (934140), probably of the Iron Age, on
Main Down, some 390 ft. above sea-level, lies on the nearly flat
top of a N.-S. Chalk ridge, just E. of the Roman Road. In plan
it is kidney-shaped, measuring some 600 ft. by 450 ft. and
covering about 4 acres. Although flattened by cultivation it is
still seen on air photographs (N.M.R., ST 9313/2–6; 9314/1–3).
(35) Enclosure ? (91651425), on Dungrove Hill, at about
390 ft. above O.D. and on a S.W. slope at the end of a spur, is
visible only on air photographs (N.M.R., ST 9114/1–2). The
feature is roughly circular and about 200 ft. in diameter. A
narrow funnelled entrance leads into it on the S.E.
(36) Bowl Barrow (90831438), in Earl's Hill Coppice, lies
on the E. slope of a spur, over 400 ft. above O.D.; diam. 30 ft.,
ht. 2 ft.
(37) Bowl Barrow (91091488), on the shoulder of a spur
overlooking Stubhampton Bottom, is 450 ft. above O.D.;
diarn. 40 ft., ht. less than 1 ft.