7 GUSSAGE ST. MICHAEL (9811)
(O.S., 6 ins., ST 91 SE, SU 01 SE, SU 01 NW)
The parish has an area of 2,461 acres and is roughly
triangular, the straight S.E. side being defined by the
Roman road from Old Sarum to Badbury Rings. The
land, entirely Chalk, at altitudes between 150 ft. and
380 ft. above O.D., is traversed in the S.W. by the
Gussage Brook. The village, an early settlement, stands
on both sides of the brook near the S. corner of the
parish; upstream to N.W., scattered farms represent
another early settlement, and the boundary between the
two settlements is preserved as a continuous hedgeline
(Enclosure Map and Award, 1814, D.C.R.O.; Tithe
An important complex of earthworks on Gussage
Hill, in the N.E. of the parish, includes long and round
barrows, part of the Dorset Cursus, and an extensive
(1) The Parish Church of St. Michael has walls
of flint and rubble with ashlar dressings, and of ashlar;
the roofs are tiled and slate-covered. The lower stages
of the West Tower are of the early 12th century. The
Nave and the North and South Aisles were rebuilt in the
13th century; a 13th-century N. chapel has been
destroyed. The tower appears to have been heightened
in the 14th century and the top stage was completed in
the 15th century. The S. wall of the S. aisle was rebuilt
in the 14th century. In the 15th century the aisle and
nave roofs were raised, clearstorey windows were
added and the North Porch was built. The Chancel was
rebuilt by G. E. Street in 1857 (S.D.N.Q., IV (1894),
31). The Vestry on the site of the former N. chapel is
Architectural Description—The chancel arch of 1857 incorporates original chamfered voussoirs, reset and partly recut.
The Parish Church of St. Michael
The Nave has N. and S. arcades, each of two bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders springing from stout
cylindrical piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. The
cap of the S. pier has dog-tooth ornament. Above the piers are
rounded corbels for former roof members. The 15th-century
clearstorey has, on each side, one square-headed window of two
At the E. end of the North Aisle is a 13th-century arch of two
chamfered orders dying into square responds. In the N. wall is
a 15th-century window of three trefoil-headed lights in a square
surround; below are the remains of the sill and jambs of a
narrower and earlier opening. The 14th-century N. doorway has
a chamfered two-centred head and continuous jambs. The W.
window is modern.
The South Aisle has a 13th-century lancet window on the E.
The S. wall, rebuilt in the 14th century, has two windows of
that date, each comprising two trefoil-headed lights under a
square head; between them is a 14th-century buttress of two
stages with a chamfered plinth and weathered offsets. The contemporary S. doorway, now blocked, has a chamfered two-centred head and chamfered jambs.
The West Tower is of three stages with an embattled parapet.
A pilaster buttress on the W. extends into the second stage. The
tower arch is round-headed and of one square order with
voussoirs alternately of Greensand and Heathstone; the square
responds have hollow-chamfered imposts. In the tall lower stage,
the N. and S. walls have original square-headed loops with
round rear-arches. In the second stage the N. and S. walls have
small 14th-century trefoil-headed windows; the upper courses
of this stage are of ashlar. Each side of the 15th-century top stage
has a belfry window of two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a label. The embattled parapet
has a moulded and weathered string-course and moulded coping.
The North Porch has an archway with an ogee-moulded and
hollow-chamfered four-centred head and continuous jambs;
above is an embattled parapet.
The low-pitched 15th-century nave Roof is of three bays with
four stout tie-beams; the through-purlins rest on angle-struts
and the ridge is supported by king-posts. The N. aisle roof has
moulded beams of 16th-century date. The S. aisle roof is
Fittings—Bells: six; treble modern; 2nd and 3rd by Francis
Foster of Salisbury, 1663; 4th by John Wallis, inscribed 'Hope
Well 1608', recast 1913; 5th inscribed 'Feare GodIW 1608'; tenor
inscribed 'R. Wells of Aldbourne fecit mdcclxvii', recast 1898.
Coffin-lid: In N. aisle, of Purbeck marble, surface defaced,
mediaeval. Communion Table: of oak, with turned legs and
enriched top rails, 17th century. Door: In N. doorway, with oak
planks, lightly moulded ledges and wrought-iron strap-hinges
with fleur-de-lis terminals, 17th century. Font: of stone, with
circular bowl with moulded under-edge, on cylindrical stem
and moulded base, 13th century; dated scratchings on lead lining
Niche: Above porch arch, small trefoil-headed recess, 15th
century. Piscina: In S. aisle, recess with chamfered two-centred
head, probably 13th century; modern basin. Plate: includes
silver cup and stand-paten with assay marks of 1761. Royal
Arms: of Charles II, painted on wooden panel. Scratchings: On
E. jamb of N. doorway, four crosses; in N. porch, initials and
dates from 1753. Stairs: In W. tower, of oak, with closed string,
turned balusters and lightly moulded handrail, early 17th
century. Tables of Creed etc.: In W. tower, on three round-headed panels with moulded oak frames, painted inscription of
Creed, Decalogue and Lord's prayer, 1801.
(2) Cross-base (98571140), set in an earth bank close to the
road, 50 yds. N. of (1), comprises the foot of a shaft morticed
into a base and fixed with lead; the stones are very worn and
no mouldings remain. Presumably it is mediaeval.
(3) Lower Farm (98731153), house, of two storeys with
attics, has walls partly of brick with ashlar plinths and partly
tile-hung, and tiled roofs; it is of the late 18th century. The
N.E. front is symmetrical, with a central doorway flanked by
sashed windows and with casement windows in the upper storey.
Some 50 yds. N. of the farmhouse is a Granary, square on
plan, with brick walls raised on arches; also a Barn with weather-boarded walls above brick plinths, and a roof with collared and
braced tie-beam trusses; both buildings are of the late 18th
(4) Manor Farm (98191188), house, of two storeys with brick
walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the early 19th century (Plate
30). The S.E. front is symmetrical and of three bays, with a
round-headed central doorway with a fanlight under a flat hood
on shaped brackets, and with plain square-headed sashed
windows in both storeys. Inside, the plan is of class U.
(5) Ryall's Farm (98111261), house, originally
single-storeyed, but heightened to two storeys, has
walls partly of rubble and flint with ashlar quoins, partly
of timber-frame construction, and partly of brickwork;
the roofs are tiled (Plate 30). The building is of 16th-century origin, with 17th and 18th-century additions.
The E. range has a class-T plan, with a broad central throughpassage leading to a porch and projecting stair bay on the W.;
the W. doorway is blocked. The partition between the N. room
and the through-passage is not original; formerly there is likely
to have been a screen, perhaps set further S. Of the original
building only the gabled N. and S. end walls remain; they are
of banded rubble and flint with ashlar dressings and moulded
copings; each has a massive chimney breast with weathered
offsets and with two diagonally set brick flues. The original E.
and W. walls of the 16th-century range are likely to have been
of timber framework, but the W. wall together with the stair
bay is now of brick, probably of the 17th century. The former
porch has a bull's-eye window with a moulded brick surround;
the blocked W. doorway has a segmental head. In the two-storeyed E. front, the brickwork of the lower storey appears to
be of the 18th century, that of the upper storey is evidently later.
In the W. wing also, the external brickwork of the lower storey
is older than that of the attic.
Inside, the S. room of the E. range has an open fireplace with
a chamfered timber bressummer with a raised centre, and
chamfered stone jambs with run-out stops; the ceiling beam
also is chamfered. A round-headed recess beside the blocked
N. fireplace has 18th-century woodwork with a moulded architrave and fluted pilasters. On the first floor, the S. chamber
has a fireplace with a chamfered timber head with a raised
centre, and chamfered stone jambs. Some first-floor rooms have
doorways with chamfered surrounds, heads with raised centres
and doors with iron strap-hinges with scrolled ends. A partition between the stair well and a first-floor closet is of timber-frame construction and retains an original window with wooden
(6) Packhorse Bridge (98121256), comprising a single semicircular arch with ashlar voussoirs and rubble abutments, and
with no superstructure, is probably of the 18th century.
Roman and Prehistoric
The Roman road from Old Sarum to Badbury Rings (see p.
xxxii) forms the boundary of the parish with Gussage All Saints.
(7) Iron Age and Romano-British Settlement
(991143–000133), on Gussage Hill, associated with
boundary dykes and 'Celtic' fields (Group (82), p. 118),
is one of the largest native occupation sites in Dorset.
Extending for nearly a mile from N.W. to S.E. it lies
on a N.E. slope, just below the summit of the hill,
between 300 ft. and 375 ft. above O.D. (Plate 48). The
central part of the complex overlies the Dorset Cursus
(9), which was integrated with the accompanying
pattern of 'Celtic' fields. The earliest plan and account
of the site, by Sir Richard Colt Hoare (Ancient Wiltshire
II (1821), Roman Aera, 31–3), suggests that it was
relatively undamaged at that time, but subsequent
accounts show that within a century ploughing had
begun to take its toll (Sumner, Cranborne Chase, 73;
Wessex from the Air, 112–14). Today, much of the site
has been damaged or levelled by cultivation, and from
surface inspection of the surviving remains it is not
possible to recover with any accuracy the sequence of
development. (Plan opposite.)
The N.W. end of the site comprises an irregular, elongated
enclosure of about 16 acres defined by a bank with an external
ditch. Two smaller enclosures, defined by the same bank and
ditch, intrude into the N.E. side of the main enclosure, but are
entered from outside it by means of narrow, funnel-like approaches. The northern of these smaller enclosures, covering
about ½ acre, has been discovered only recently from the air.
The southern, about ¾ acre, has traces of 'outworks' at the entrance. The smaller enclosures were probably for livestock and
that on the S.E. is notably devoid of surface finds relating to
human occupation. Between the two smaller enclosures, an
occupation area (99251415) shows up under the plough as
patches of dark soil associated with concentrations of pottery,
chiefly Romano-British coarse wares with some samian ware,
including a base with the stamp of Maximinus of Lezoux
(c. 155–180), indicating that the site was occupied from the early
2nd to the 4th century (Dorset Procs., 90 (1968), 163–4). Sherds
of late Iron Age type have also been recovered. Colt Hoare
shows occupation extending as far as the N. end of the main
enclosure. Fragments of a haematite-coated furrowed bowl of
early Iron Age type were found just W. of the enclosure, at
990143 (Dorset Procs., 73 (1951), 115). Boundary dykes, almost
certainly later than the main enclosure, extend N. and W. from
its N. end. Near the enclosure they comprise three low, rounded
parallel banks, close-set with intervening ditches, but these
divide or diminish in number as they get further away from the
enclosure. It is possible that they represent further enclosures,
elsewhere destroyed. The area (986150) adjacent to the dykes,
W. of Thorney Down Farm, appears from an air photograph
(N.M.R., ST 9914/13) to have been divided into a number of
roughly rectangular enclosures defined by ditches.
Other boundary dykes, both single and multiple, extend S.E.
from the main enclosure and define an elongated triangular area
of about 22 acres; it crosses the Cursus (9) and incorporates long
barrows (14) and (15), and round barrows (29–32). Adjoining it
on the N.E. are traces of smaller enclosures and beyond it on
the S.E., towards the Roman road, is a second occupation area
(around 999135). Surface pottery from this area is confined
almost entirely to later Romano-British wares (3rd and 4th
century) including New Forest products. Almost certainly this
is the site where Colt Hoare dug 'in several places and found
Roman pottery, brick flues, and even stuccoed walls painted'.
Adjacent (999134), a small trapezoidal earthwork, about 110 ft.
by 90 ft., is defined by a bank with an external ditch, now
heavily ploughed. A small test excavation failed to establish its
relationship with the occupation site (Dorset Procs., 91 (1969),
Finds from the site are in D.C.M. and B.M. Selected air
photographs—HSL/UK 62/263: 2607; C.U.A.P., LL 10, ANE
32, AQY 83; N.M.R., ST 9914/5 and 11, ST 9913/5/234.
(8) Enclosure (006142), possibly Iron Age, E. of Gussage
Down, has for long been levelled by ploughing, but it remains
visible on air photographs (58/RAF/3250: 0085; N.M.R., SU
0014/4, 5; C.U.A.P., ANC 32, 34). Lying about 240 ft. above
O.D. on ground descending gently N.E. to a broad, shallow dry
valley, it comprises an oval, about 780 ft. by 560 ft. and 8 acres
in area, defined by a ditch with traces of an internal bank (Plate
54). The E. side of the enclosure lies in The Drive Plantation,
but it is not visible there, being cut by the Roman road, Ackling
Dyke, which coincides with the side of the plantation. On the
N., and immediately W. of the Roman road, the enclosure just
encompasses round barrows (34) and (35). There are suggestions
of an entrance immediately N. of (35).
Gussage St. Michael )7) Iron Age and Romano-British settlement and boundary dykes; also 'Celtic' fields (Group (82)).
(9) The Dorset Cursus (96951245–04051920), a
Neolithic ceremonial or ritual monument, is the largest
known of its kind (Atkinson, Antiquity, XXIX (1955),
4–9). It comprises a long, narrow, parallel-sided enclosure which extends, for just over 6¼ miles, in a slightly
sinuous course across the gently undulating Chalk
downland of Cranborne Chase, beginning on Thickthorn Down in the S.W. and ending just short of
Bokerley Dyke in Pentridge. Defined by a bank with
an external ditch, the Cursus varies from 300 ft. to
400 ft. in overall width. It appears to have been constructed in two stages. Several long barrows are asso
ciated with it, one being incorporated in its construction.
On Wyke Down (011152) the Cursus is cut obliquely
by the Roman road; on Gussage Hill it is overlain by
the native settlement (7) and incorporated in the associated pattern of 'Celtic' fields. Most of the Cursus has
been levelled or severely reduced by ploughing, and
for much of its length it is visible only as a crop or soilmark, but it survives virtually undamaged at the S.W.
end, and part of the S.E. side is well preserved on
Bottlebush Down (01851595).
The Dorset Cursus
Profiles of banks and ditches of Cursus (Gussage St. Michel (9)).
Earthworks adjoining S.W. end of Cursus. Linear Dykes in Long Crichel (7); Barrows in Gussage St. Michael.
The S.W. end of the Cursus survives in a narrow unploughed
field on Thickthorn Down. The bank here is over 4 ft. high,
where best preserved, and some 30 ft. across; the ditch is of
similar width and up to 3½ ft. deep. From centre to centre of the
ditches the Cursus is about 350 ft. across. Two small-sized long
barrows lie S.E. of the end, one (11) adjacent to it, the other (12)
some 230 yds. S.E.; each has a U-shaped ditch opening away
from the Cursus. A multiple boundary dyke (Long Crichel
(7)), comprising four banks with intervening ditches, approaches
the N.W. angle of the Cursus, but evidence of a possible junction
between the two monuments has been destroyed by the modern
road. The two north-westerly banks of the dyke, which clearly
is later than the Cursus, appear to continue for a short distance
along its N. side, possibly incorporating part of it in a boundary
For some distance N.E. of this end, the Cursus is mostly
ploughed flat, but it can be detected as a soil or crop-mark,
especially on air photographs, except in the bottom of the
Gussage valley. On the summit of Gussage Hill a small but
prominent long barrow (14), possibly used as a sighting-point
for the alignment of the Cursus, lies off-centre between the
ditches, but at right-angles to the axis (Plate 48). Long barrow
(15), some 260 yds. S.E. of (14) and similarly aligned, has a
U-shaped ditch open towards the Cursus. To the N.E. of
Gussage Hill a slight deviation appears to take advantage of a
hollow in the Chalk as the Cursus descends to cross the dry upper
reaches of the Allen valley. Thence the Cursus continues up a
long, gentle slope towards Bottlebush Down, and between the
point where it is crossed by the Roman road and the summit of
the Down it comes to an end at a transverse bank and ditch
(01581566), now all but ploughed away, but clearly integral
with the part of the monument hitherto described. The N.E.
continuation of the earthwork on a different alignment is with
little doubt a later addition.
Beyond Bottlebush Down, the extended Cursus traverses a
dry valley and in Salisbury Plantation climbs to a narrow spur,
which it follows, just S.E. of the crest, to its termination on
Bokerley Down. Within the plantation the N.W. bank of the
Cursus incorporates a small-sized long barrow (Pentridge (19)),
on a slightly different alignment and apparently in existence
when the bank was built. Between the plantation and Bokerley
Down the Cursus has been flattened by ploughing, but air
photographs and probing confirm its presence and show that,
near the end, the N.W. ditch swings sharply inward to narrow
the width between ditches from 335 ft. to 270 ft. Probing has
also revealed two narrow opposed causeways across the ditches,
just over 1½ miles from the end (Atkinson, loc. cit., 8).
The N.E. end of the Cursus (Plate 56), like that to S.W. on
Thickthorn Down, appears to be significantly related to long
barrows. Three are aligned on its S.E. corner, two of them
(Pentridge (21) and (22)) in line and adjacent to it, the third
(Pentridge (20)) some 400 yds. to S.S.E. Several round barrows
occur in the vicinity of the Cursus, but unlike the long barrows
they bear no obvious relationship to it. Two round barrows on
Wyke Down (Gussage All Saints (35) and (37)) lie between
the banks of the Cursus.
Selected air photographs—HSL/UK/62/263: 2607–8; 58/3250:
0095–101; C.U.A.P., LL 10, 13, NS 97, ANC 39, ANE 4;
N.M.R., ST 9913/5/231, ST 9914/8, SU 0015/1/327, SU 0319/1.
Monuments (10–15), Long Barrows
Of the five certain long barrows in the parish, four
((11), (12), (14), (15)) lie close to the Cursus (9) and are
clearly associated with it. Together with round barrows
they compose two barrow groups, respectively on
Thickthorn Down and Gussage Hill. Barrow (10), also
classified as a long barrow (Dorset Barrows, 79, Gussage
St. Michael, No. VI), is now almost round, but this could
be due to ploughing, and the gap between the incurving
ditches at the S.E. end is very similar to that of the long
barrow on Thickthorn Down (12).
(10) Long Barrow (98131138), on Parsonage Hill, lies about
280 ft. above O.D., near the crest of the ridge between the
Gussage and Crichel valleys, overlooking the former. Ploughing has spread the mound, now 3½ ft. high and about 70 ft. in
diameter; it has also obscured the side ditches which are very
broad and shallow, especially at the N. end. The ditches begin
to curve around the S. end of the mound, but they are interrupted by a substantial gap.
(11) Long Barrow (97031238), on Thickthorn Down, 325 ft.
above O.D., on the crest of the ridge between the Gussage and
Crichel valleys, lies a few yards S.E. of the end of the Cursus
and is aligned S.E.–N.W. upon it. The well-preserved mound is
145 ft. long, 60 ft. across and 8 ft. high; it stands within a ditch
25 ft. across and up to 3 ft. deep, U-shaped in plan and open to
(12) Long Barrow (97191226), on Thickthorn Down, lies
200 yds. S.E. of (11) and is similar in siting, form and alignment.
The mound is nearly 100 ft. long, 60 ft. across and 8 ft. high;
the ditch, 23 ft. across and up to 3 ft. deep, is open to the S.E.,
away from the Cursus. When the barrow was excavated in 1933
(P.P.S., n.s. II (1936), 77–96) no primary interment was found,
but Windmill Hill ware occurred at a primary level in the ditch
and Peterborough ware was found at a higher level, above it. Three
secondary interments, all apparently of females, were discovered
in pits dug into the mound; two were accompanied by bell
beakers (Clarke, type E) and one of those with a beaker was also
accompanied by the remains of a young child. Finds are in
(13) Long Barrow (99301310), South of Gussage Hill, lies 340 ft.
above O.D. on the crest of a spur sloping S.E. The barrow,
aligned E.S.E.–W.N.W., has been much reduced by ploughing.
The mound is about 200 ft. long, 85 ft. across and 3 ft. high. No
side ditches are visible.
(14) Long Barrow (99301383), on the crest of Gussage Hill,
lies about 360 ft. above O.D. Now an island in arable, the barrow
lies within the Cursus (9) and at right-angles to it, but off-centre,
being nearer the N.W. than the S.E. side (Plate 48). It lies, too,
among the earthworks of the later settlement (7). The mound,
155 ft. long, 65 ft. across and up to 10 ft. high, is lower and
narrower towards the N.W. end. Shallow side-ditches 30 ft.
across are visible on either side.
(15) Long Barrow (99471360), on Gussage Hill, 265 yds. S.E.
of (14) and similarly sited and aligned, has a mound 155 ft. long,
75 ft. across, and 10 ft. high at the S.E. end and slightly lower on
the N.W. (Plate 48). A large hollow has been dug into the S.E.
end. The mound stands within a ditch, U-shaped in plan, open
at the N.W., and 22 ft. across and up to 3½ ft. deep.
Monuments (16–35), Round Barrows
There is evidence of twenty round barrows in the
parish, most of them levelled or badly damaged by
ploughing. They are found on the two Chalk ridges
which cross the parish, Week Street Down in the
extreme W. and Gussage Hill in the centre.
Thickthorn Down Group, comprising two round barrows (16)
and (17) and two long barrows (11) and (12) is sited on the crest of
the ridge, S.E. of the S.W. end of the Cursus (9).
(16) Bowl (97221224), 20 yds. S.E. of (11), is much damaged
by a large hole in the centre; diam. 35 ft., ht. 2½ ft., with remains
of ditch 9 ft. across.
(17) Bowl (97221226), immediately N. of (11) and adjoining
(16), has been damaged by a hole in the centre and by a hedge
which cuts across its N.E. side; diam. 50 ft., ht. 3 ft., with a ditch
16 ft. across.
Eight barrows (18–25) are scattered over the E. slopes of Week
Street Down between 220 ft., and 280 ft. above O.D. All have
been greatly reduced by heavy ploughing. They were probably
all opened by Warne in 1848, but it is not possible to correlate
his account with individual barrows (C.T.D., Pt. 1, Nos. 15–21).
From the barrows excavated he recorded the following: No. 15,
a primary inhumation and a secondary cremation in a cist;
No. 16, two secondary or intrusive inhumations; No. 17, a very
low mound, a primary crouched inhumation; No. 18, an urn
from the centre and a secondary cremation to the N.W. with
remains of a small urn; No. 19, six cremations in cists, two with
fragments of urns; No. 20, a cremation with pottery in a cist,
and a large urn containing a cremation; No. 21, no finds.
(18) Barrow (96811273), 300 yds. N.W. of the end of (9), lies
in the corner of a modern field; it has been levelled by ploughing
but is visible on air photographs (RAF, CPE/UK 1934: 4146–7);
diam. about 50 ft.
(19) Bowl (96831292); diam. 35 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(20) Bowl (96631304); diam. 44 ft., ht. formerly 3 ft.
(21) Bowl (96621311), damaged on S. by the SalisburyBlandford road; diam. 50 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(22) Bowl (96951323); diam. about 30 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(23) Bowl (96961324); diam. about 30 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(24) Bowl (96981326); diam. about 30 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(25) Bowl (97121313); diam. 48 ft., ht. formerly 2½ ft.
Three barrows, all heavily ploughed, lie on a spur at the N.W.
end of Gussage Hill, between 325 ft. and 350 ft. above O.D.
(26) Bowl (98361390); diam. about 100 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(27) Bowl (98581404); diam. about 30 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(28) Bowl (98771402); diam. about 40 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
Gussage Hill Group comprises four round barrows (29–32) and
two long barrows (14) and (15). They lie on the summit of the
hill, over 350 ft. above O.D., among the earthworks of Monument (7).
(29) Bowl (99481372), damaged by ploughing; diam. 60 ft.,
ht. 6 ft., with ditch 15 ft. across and 1 ft. deep.
(30) Bowl (99481369), almost totally flattened by ploughing;
diam. about 25 ft.
(31) Bowl (99491368), ploughed almost flat; diam. about
(32) Bowl (99691372); diam., reduced by ploughing, 52 ft.,
ht. 6 ft.
(33) Disc (00141359), on a N.E. slope just below the crest of
Gussage Down, lies 350 ft. above O.D. Measuring 150 ft. in
overall diameter, the barrow has an outer bank some 18 ft.
across and 1½ ft. high, made irregular by later ploughing, and
a shallow internal ditch about 15 ft. wide. Within, two conjoined mounds, 50 ft. by 30 ft. overall and 1 ft. high, extend
from the centre, S.E. to the ditch.
Two barrows lie on a N.E. slope at about 225 ft. above O.D.,
immediately W. of Ackling Dyke and within enclosure (8).
Both are in arable (Plate 54).
(34) Bowl (00601430); diam. 85 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(35) Bowl (00631430), partly cut by the Roman road; diam.
45 ft., nearly flat.