9 HINTON MARTELL (0106)
(O.S. 6 ins., SU 00 NW, SU 00 SW, ST 90 NE)
Hinton Martell, with an area of 1,554 acres, lies some
4 miles N. of Wimborne Minster on the E. bank of the
R. Allen. In the W. part of the parish the land is Chalk,
rising from 100 ft. at the river to 200 ft. above O.D.;
further E., Reading Beds and London Clay overlie the
Chalk at about the same altitudes; this land is drained by
streams flowing S.E. The village, of mediaeval origin,
stands in the N. of the parish at the junction of the
Reading Beds and the Chalk. There may be evidence of
mediaeval occupation in the wooded S.E. corner of the
parish, on the site now occupied by 'Gaunt's House', a
19th-century building. Cottages at Gaunt's Common
reflect late 18th and early 19th-century encroachment
on the common lands. The open fields were enclosed
in 1798 (Award, D.C.R.O.).
(1) The Parish Church of St. John, at the N.E. end of the
village, was rebuilt in 1869, but it incorporates reset features
from an older building. In the western part of the S. wall of the
Chancel is a restored early 14th-century window of two trefoil-headed lights with a plain spandrel light under a two-centred
head. In the S. wall of the Nave are two late 15th or early 16th-century windows, each of three cinquefoil-headed lights under
square heads with labels; the eastern label has returned stops and
the western label head-stops. In the second stage of the Tower,
the S., W. and N. sides have each a 15th-century window of one
Fittings—Chair: with turned front legs and shaped arms,
panelled and enriched back, 17th century. Chest: of oak, with
panelled sides, late 18th century. Font: of Purbeck stone, with
octagonal bowl having, on each face, two shallow recesses with
two-centred heads, on plain octagonal stem and chamfered
octagonal base, probably 13th century. Monuments: In churchyard, on W. of tower, (1) of William Marten, 1632, (2) of Sarah
Marten, 1712, (3) of Elizabeth, wife of John Newman, 1690,
Plate: includes silver cup and cover-paten, each with inscription and assay mark of 1634, engraved with shield-of-arms and
crest of Hastings. Royal Arms: painted on panel, 1714–1801.
Sundial: Reset in S. wall of tower, of Purbeck stone with
restored iron gnomon, given by William Redman, 1636
(S.D.N.Q., V (1896), 147). Tables of Decalogue: Two round-headed wooden panels with gilt lettering on black, late 18th or
early 19th century.
(2) Gaunt's House (01640438), of two storeys with brick
walls with stone dressings and with slate-covered roofs, dates
from 1809; in 1887 it was enlarged, refaced and extensively
altered, and little remains visible of the mansion illustrated by
Hutchins (III, opp. 244). In the symmetrical five-bay N.W. front
the proportions of the windows have been altered and the
doorway with an Ionic portico has been removed. The former
N.E. front has been masked by late 19th-century additions; the
S.E. front alone appears to retain its original form. A Venetian
window with a Portland stone surround in the S.W. elevation
may be original, but reset. A view of the house c. 1823 appears in
J. P. Neale's Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, Vol. I, No. 53.
Inside, the principal rooms retain early 19th-century doors
and window-shutters with moulded and beaded panels; plaster
cornices with classical enrichment also survive; the chimneypieces are of 1887.
The house was formerly surrounded by a Moat, probably
mediaeval in origin; traces of it survived in 1868 (Hutchins III,
245) and a ha-ha on the S. and E. of the house may incorporate
parts of it.
(3) Manor Farm (01310611), house, of two storeys with brick
walls and tiled roofs, is of c. 1800. Inside, the plan is of class U.
The two N. ground-floor rooms retain original chamfered
ceiling beams. The front range, on the S., was rebuilt in the
second half of the 19th century.
(4) The Old Rectory (01390606), of two storeys with brick
walls and tiled roofs, is of early 18th-century origin. The E.
elevation, of three bays with the middle bay projecting, was
perhaps originally symmetrical, but the northern bay is now
occupied by an early 19th-century two-storeyed bow window;
this elevation has a plinth, plat-band and dentilled cornice, and
sashed windows. A further bay on the N., with a three-light
sashed window in the lower storey and with one of two lights
above, is of the early 19th century. Inside, some original panelling
is preserved, together with a fireplace with a moulded stone
(5) House (01410614), of one storey with attics, has timber-framed walls with brick nogging, and a thatched roof; it dates
from the 17th century. The original plan is likely to have been
of class J and the house retains a large central chimney-stack;
later chimneystacks have been built against the gabled E. and
W. end walls of the range.
(6) Cottage (01340604), of one storey with attics, has walls
partly of timber framework and partly of cob, and a thatched
roof; it is of 17th-century origin, with extensive modern additions. Inside, the plan appears originally to have been of class S.
A chamfered beam is exposed.
(7) Cottage (01230610), of one storey with attics, has
timber-framed walls with brick nogging, now rendered, and a
thatched roof; it is of the 17th century and has a class-J plan.
Inside, a chamfered beam with shaped stops is exposed.
(8) Cottage (01280612), of one storey with attics, has cob
walls and a thatched roof; it is of the late 17th century and has
a class-J plan. Inside, the main room has a chamfered beam with
(9) Cottage (01310606), of one storey with an attic, has cob
walls on a brick plinth, and a thatched roof; it is of the the late 18th
century. The plan is of class T and the N. front is symmetrical
and of three bays. One room has a chamfered beam with shaped
(10) Cottage (01250612), of two storeys with brick walls and
a thatched roof, is of the late 18th century. The symmetrical
three-bay S. front has segmental-headed openings.
(11) Cottage (01860632), at Uppington, of one storey with
an attic, has brick walls and a thatched roof; it is of the early
18th century and has a class-S plan. The S. front is of two bays
with a central doorway.
Unless otherwise described, the following late 18th
or early 19th-century cottages at Gaunt's Common are
single-storeyed with attics and have cob walls and
(12) Cottage (02500598), has the S. front in brickwork.
(13) Cottage (02350549), with a class-S plan, contains a beam
carved with the date of 1782, probably the year of construction.
(14) Cottage (02250537).
(15) Cottages (02270532), two adjacent.
(16) Cottage (02270524), of two storeys, was built c. 1800.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
Moat, at Gaunt's House, see Monument (2).
Monuments (17–26), Round Barrows
High Lea Farm Group comprises at least ten barrows sited in
a field, about 135 ft. above O.D., on a gentle N.W. slope falling
to the R. Allen. Only (17) and (26) survive as earthworks; the
others form a scatter in the same field and are visible as soilmarks on an air photograph (N.M.R., ST 9906/1).
(17) Bowl (99930613), in the S.W. corner of the field; diam.
95 ft., ht. 4½ ft.
(18) Barrow (00020612), 100 yds. E. of (17); diam. about
(19) Barrow (00000625), 140 yds. N.E. of (17) ; diam. about
(20) Barrow (00030625), 50 yds. E. of (19); diam. about 27 ft.
(21) Barrow (00010631), 70 yds. N.N.E. of (19); diam. about
(22) Barrow (00030632), immediately N.E. of (21); diam.
about 55 ft.
(23) Barrow (00120621), 90 yds. E.S.E. of (20); diam. about
(24) Barrow (00160630), 60 yds. N.E. of (23); diam. 60 ft.;
(25) Barrow (00190625), 100 yds. N.N.W. of (24); diam.
(26) Bowl (00230640), partly cut by a track and damaged by
ploughing; diam. 110 ft., ht. 2½ ft.