16 PENTRIDGE (0317)
(O.S. 6 ins., SU 01 NW, SU 10 NE, SU 02 SW)
Pentridge, covering 2,870 acres, occupies a northern
promontory of the county and adjoins both Hampshire
and Wiltshire; it lies on rolling Chalk downland between 300 ft. and 400 ft. above O.D., except in the S.E.
where Pentridge Hill rises to 600 ft. and is capped by
Clay-with-flints and Plateau Gravel.
The parish took its present form in 1933 by amalgamation with the former parishes of East and West
Woodyates. Previously, Pentridge itself had two
parts, separated from one another by East Woodyates.
The part of Pentridge which lies N. of East Woodyates
is centred on Cobley Farm, a name suggestive of
antiquity, but without early documentation.
West Woodyates contains a manor house and farm
buildings and probably was never more considerable
than at present. Odiete of Domesday (V.C.H., Dorset iii,
74) is probably identifiable with Woodyates village, at
the southern end of the former parish of East Woodyates. It stands beside the road from Salisbury to
Dorchester which here follows the line of Ackling Dyke,
the Roman road from Old Sarum to Badbury Rings.
The houses of Pentridge village, near the middle of the
larger part of the old parish, extend along a dry valley
at the foot of Pentridge Hill.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Rumbold, on the W. of
Pentridge village, has walls of flint and squared rubble with
ashlar dressings; the roofs are tiled. The church was rebuilt in
1855 (Ecclesiologist, XVI, 189) in 14th-century style; the tower
has a broached stone spire.
Fittings—Inscription: Reset in S. wall of chancel, stone tablet
recording rebuilding of a former chancel in 1815 under Thomas
Hobson, rector. Monuments: In nave, on N. wall, (1) of Robert
Browning, 1746, and Elizabeth his wife, 1759, great grandparents of the poet, tablet erected 1902. In churchyard, S. of
chancel, (2–5) headstones and table-tombs of members of the
Goddard family 1774–1797. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten
of 1575, of usual Elizabethan form, maker HS.
Of the Parish Church of West Woodyates, recorded at the
end of the 13th century (Dorset Procs., XLIX (1928), 84), no
structural remains have been found.
(2) West Woodyates Manor House (01631949), of
two storeys with attics and cellars, has flint and rubble
walls with ashlar dressings, and tile-covered roofs. The
building appears to be of 17th-century origin, but it
may incorporate the remains of an earlier structure. The
S.E. front was remodelled early in the 18th century,
probably under the ownership of Lord Londonderry,
a son of the celebrated Governor Pitt (Hutchins III, 608).
Further improvements and extensions date from early
in the 19th century and from recent times. (Dorset
Procs., XLIX (1928), 77–88.)
The 18th-century S.E. front (Plate 29) is rendered. Originally
it was symmetrical and of five bays, with a square-headed
central doorway with a rusticated ashlar surround. The sashed
window over the doorway has a moulded ashlar architrave; the
other windows are plain. Small bull's-eye windows flank the
ranges of openings in each storey, those on the S. being false.
The façade is capped by a moulded wooden cornice and a
parapet. The S. corner has a rusticated quoin; doubtless a similar
quoin originally marked the E. corner, but it was removed
early in the 19th century when the façade was extended on the
N.E. An early photograph (N.M.R.) proves that the bow-window in the extension is of later 19th-century date. The
S.W. elevation is of flint and has two gables, a chimney-stack
with three diagonally-set ashlar flues, and square-headed casement
windows with 17th-century moulded stone surrounds. The
N.W. elevation has three gables, partly of flint and partly of
brick, and casement windows as described.
Inside, the S.W. ground-floor room has a large open fireplace
with a chamfered oak bressummer with rounded shoulders and
a raised centre; it rests on chamfered stone jambs. The walls of
the room are lined with 17th-century oak panelling. A recess
beside the fireplace is spanned by a modern stone arch with a
reset mediaeval keystone. The chamber above this room has a
small fireplace with a moulded stone surround with a rounded
head. Another chamber has an 18th-century fireplace with a
bolection-moulded stone surround.
A modern extension on the S.W. of the house has, reset in
the S.E. wall, a fragment of a 13th-century Purbeck marble
coffin-lid with hollow-chamfered edges and with a cross carved
on the surface. A small stone coffin, preserved close to the house,
is probably also of the 13th century.
An 18th-century range adjacent to the house on the W.,
formerly Stables, is single-storeyed and has brick walls and tiled
roofs. At the centre of the N.E. front is a blocked segmental-headed archway and over this is a pigeon-cote with a round
opening. On the roof ridge is an arched wooden bell-cote with
Earthworks on the S. and E. of the house comprise a level
enclosure, 170 yds. by 130 yds., defined on S.W., S.E. and N.E.
by a ha-ha some 15 ft. wide and 4 ft. deep. A mound at the S.
corner of the enclosure is 80 ft. in diameter and 14 ft. high and
is surrounded by a ditch 2 ft. deep. A low circular platform
occurs at the W. corner of the enclosure. These features are
probably of 18th-century origin.
(3) Pentridge House (03461775), formerly the rectory, is
two-storeyed with attics and a cellar; the walls are of cob and of
brick; the roofs, formerly thatched, are now tiled. The original
house, with cob walls and a class-T plan, was built in the first
half of the 18th century; brick extensions on the S. and E. are
of the late 19th century. The N.W. front is symmetrical and of
three bays, with a central doorway flanked by sashed three-light
bow windows in the lower storey, and with three plain sashed
windows above. Inside, some rooms retain original joinery,
including a round-headed niche with shaped shelves. The stairs
have vase-and-column balusters, Tuscan newel-posts, and scroll
(4) Cottage (03411778), of one storey with attics, has walls
partly of timber framework filled in with wattle-and-daub and
partly of brick; the roof is tiled. It is of the 17th century and
retains many original features. The plan is of class S. Inside, the
open fireplace has a 17th-century chamfered oak bressummer
upon which the date 1730 has been carved. Some original stop-chamfered beams are exposed. Mediaeval window glass and
17th-century oak panelling have been brought from elsewhere.
(5) Cottage (03571790), of two storeys with cob walls and
a thatched roof, is of 18th-century origin. The W. front is of
two bays with a central doorway.
(6) Cottage (03641799), of one storey with attics, has walls
of banded flint and brickwork, and a thatched roof. It is of late
18th-century origin, with a 19th-century extension on the S.
(7) Cottages (03591799), two adjacent, are two-storeyed and
have walls of cob, flint and brickwork, and thatched roofs. The
S. dwelling is of c. 1700; that on the N. is a little later. Each
dwelling has a symmetrical E. front of two bays with a central
doorway. Inside, each cottage has a class-S plan with the staircase
on the E. side of the chimneybreast.
(8) Cottage (03501805), of one storey with an attic, has cob
walls with brick dressings, and a thatched roof. It was built in
the 18th century and has a class-S plan.
(9) The Shaftesbury Arms Inn (02941934), demolished in
1967, was of two storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs and
comprised buildings of several periods. The S.W. range, much
altered in the 18th and 19th centuries, appears to have been of
17th-century origin; at the N.W. end it had a tall brick chimney-stack with arcaded sides. Adjacent on the N.E., a range at right-angles to the S.W. range had exposed chamfered beams with
shaped stops. During demolition the date 1672 was found carved
on a fireplace bressummer. A yard surrounded by single-storeyed stable buildings in the N.E. of the complex was of mid
19th-century date. Late 19th-century buildings stood on the
S.E. of the 17th-century range.
(10) Cottage (02821941), demolished in 1954, was of one
storey with attics and had walls of squared rubble and flint, and
a thatched roof. Of 17th-century origin, it was partly rebuilt in
the 18th century.
(11) Manor Farm (02811945), house, of two storeys with
walls of banded brickwork and flint, and with a thatched roof,
is of 17th-century origin; it was extensively altered in the 18th
century and later. The principal range comprises two former
cottages, originally single-storeyed with attics; the outline of
the single-storeyed S.E. gable is preserved in the subsequently
heightened end wall. The former S.E. cottage had a class-I plan.
A beam with mitred sockets for former uprights and with
dowel-holes for former wattle-and-daub panels shows that the
N.W. wall was originally of timber framework. The former
N.W. cottage, perhaps a little later than that on the S.E., had a
class-S plan; several chamfered beams with shaped stops remain.
Late in the 18th century a N.E. range was added to the earlier
range, at right-angles to it, near the S.E. end.
(12) Barn (02891950), with brick walls and tiled roofs and
L-shaped in plan, has the date 1727 worked in blue headers. The
roofs have collared tie-beam trusses.
(13) Cottages (02082051), two adjacent, at Cobley, are of
one storey with brick walls and tiled roofs and probably are of
the early 18th century. The walls are built with large bricks (cf.
Farnham (3), Dorset IV, 18). It is reported locally that a lock-up
for poachers formerly existed in this place.
See (2) West Woodyates Manor House.
Roman and Prehistoric
(14) Roman Occupation Debris was discovered in 1919
when a sewage pit was cut near West Woodyates Manor
House; it lay on a level site of Chalk, 400 ft. above O.D.
(01631953). Pottery, coins, oyster shells and animal bones were
found. (Dorset Procs., XLIX (1928), 77.)
Pentridge. (16) Bokerley Dyke. Map and Profiles
(15) Romano-British Settlement (034197), at
Woodyates, is indicated by pits, ditches, burials and
occupation debris excavated by Gen. Pitt-Rivers in
1888–90 and by P. A. Rahtz in 1958. The site lies on
either side of Bokerley Dyke, around the point known
as Bokerley Junction, where the Roman road from Old
Sarum to Dorchester passes through the dyke.
Apart from a little Iron Age pottery, a burial with a brooch
of the 1st century A.D., and some sherds and coins of the 1st
and 2nd centuries, all the finds indicate occupation from about
275–400. Their distribution suggests that the most intensive
activity was W. of the Roman road and S. of Bokerley Dyke,
and the large number of coins (over 1,200), mostly of the 4th
century, may suggest a market or a shrine. To the N. of the dyke
several roughly rectangular enclosures were formed by ditches
10 ft. wide and 2 ft. to 5 ft. deep. Among them were eleven pits,
hearths, a corn-drying oven and 'occasional' burials. An inhumation cemetery with burials orientated E.–W., perhaps Christian,
occupied a square enclosure 112 ft. by 120 ft., with a ditch 6 ft.
wide and 3 ft. deep. The roughly rectangular enclosures may
have extended further W. and E.
To the S. were fifteen similar pits, ditches, hearths, another
oven, and a burial. A bronze figurine of Venus was found on the
edge of Bokerley Dyke (16). At this point the dyke was cut
through occupation debris in c. A.D. 330, extended through the
settlement in 367, and was realigned after 393. Finds are in
Farnham Museum, in D.C.M. and in B.M. (Pitt-Rivers,
Excavations III (1892), 3–239; Hawkes, Arch. J., CIV (1947), 62–
78; Rahtz, Ibid., CXVIII (1961), 65–99.)
(16) Bokerley Dyke (016200–063168), a boundary
bank and ditch, often of massive defensive proportions,
was built in the late Roman period to serve as a protective barrier or frontier (map opposite). Facing N.E., it
extends for nearly four miles across Cranborne Chase
from a point near West Woodyates in the W. to
Martin Wood in the S.E. For much of its length the
dyke is well preserved, though thickly overgrown in
places, but N.W. of Bokerley Junction, where the
modern road following the line of the Roman road
from Old Sarum to Dorchester passes through it, the
dyke has been badly damaged or levelled by ploughing.
To S.E. of the junction the dyke constitutes the boundary between Dorset and Hampshire. Excavations by
General Pitt-Rivers in the vicinity of the junction are
the chief source of information concerning the structural
sequence and date of the earthwork (Pitt-Rivers,
Excavations III, 3–239). His report has been the subject
of reinterpretation by C. F. C. Hawkes (Arch. J., CIV
(1947), 62–78). Further excavations on the dyke were
carried out by P. A. Rahtz in 1958, in advance of road
widening (Arch. J., CXVIII (1961), 65–99).
Bokerley Dyke lies across a tract of open Chalk country,
furrowed by dry valleys, between the upper reaches of the R.
Allen and those of the R. Crane. At either end it terminates
where later deposits (Clay-with-flints in the N.W. and Reading
Beds in the S.E.) overlie the Chalk; these deposits support
woodland today and probably gave rise to more extensive tree
cover in the past. In Martin Wood the dyke is of modest
dimensions, measuring less than 50 ft. across overall, but it
increases steadily in size as it proceeds along the shoulder of the
narrow ridge leading to Blagdon Hill, from which it commands
a view over the lower ground to the E. On Blagdon Hill the
dyke crosses one of the branches of the Grim's Ditch complex
(17) and then turns to descend the N. slope of the hill obliquely
(Plate 56). Here it reaches its maximum dimensions, 100 ft.
across overall, with the bank 8 ft. high and the ditch up to 9 ft.
deep. It then continues for over 1½ miles across a relatively low,
broad pass or saddle to Bokerley Junction, where the Roman
road from Old Sarum to Dorchester and the modern road
(A 354) pass through it. Another branch of the Grim's Ditch
complex meets it from the N. on Martin Down. Some 600 yds.
E.S.E. of Bokerley Junction a short stub of bank and ditch, of
comparable dimensions to the dyke itself and known since
Pitt-Rivers's day as the Epaulement, extends W. from the dyke
and marks an earlier termination; the W. part of this stub has
West of Bokerley Junction the precise course of the dyke is
less certain than to the E. because of ploughing and earlier
levelling. Pitt-Rivers showed by excavation that it bifurcated at
Bokerley Junction and he traced the two arms westward on a
roughly parallel course. The more northerly of these, which he
termed the Fore Dyke, extends to a point 400 yds. W. of Hill
Copse (01562000) and is still clearly visible on the ground for
much of its length, though it diminishes in size westward. The
southern arm or Rear Dyke, which Pitt-Rivers believed came to
an end just N. of West Woodyates Manor (01491961), is now
almost entirely obliterated. There is no surface evidence to
support Pitt-Rivers's belief, and air photographs (V58 RAF 3250:
0126; C.U.A.P., RC 8, X99) show clearly that it ended 140 yds.
E. of Hill Copse (02221986). A length of bank and ditch extends
S.W. from the Fore Dyke in Hill Copse and appears to join a
feature which Pitt-Rivers regarded as part of the Rear Dyke,
just N.E. of West Woodyates Manor.
In his analysis of the date and structural sequence of the dyke
(based largely on Pitt-Rivers's observations) Hawkes concluded
that it was built from its S.E. end as far as the Epaulement in
c. A.D. 325; that it was extended sometime after 364 (perhaps
during the crises of 367–8) to block the Roman road and to
continue as the Rear Dyke; that the road was soon unblocked,
and that finally, sometime after 393, the Fore Dyke was built
and the road was then permanently blocked. As a result of more
recent work Rahtz suggests that the dyke extended initially as
far N.W. as the Roman road, leaving an entrance or gap beside
the Epaulement, and that this was blocked later, either when the
Rear Dyke was built or perhaps permanently only when the
Fore Dyke was built. The evidence at present available is insufficient for definitive interpretation.
The course and dimensions of Bokerley Dyke leave little
doubt that it was built as a defensive barrier or frontier, especially
in its final form. It blocks a stretch of open downland which
constituted a vulnerable gap between what probably were areas
of extensive woodland, a gap through which passed the Roman
road from the N.E. The dyke was surely designed to prevent
penetration from that quarter. Ultimately it may have served
to protect the Romano-Britons of east Dorset from the unwelcome attentions of Anglo-Saxon settlers, whose early presence
barely 10 miles away in the Avon valley around Salisbury is well
attested. It seems likely, too, that Bokerley Dyke echoes or
replaces, on a line better sited tactically, an older non-defensive
boundary represented by part of the Grim's Ditch complex. To
the N.W. of the Epaulement it is possible that it overlies and
follows a branch of Grim's Ditch; on Martin Down a further
branch of Grim's Ditch meets, but does not run under the
(17) Grim's Ditch, in the extreme N.E. of the parish
and adjacent to (16), is part of a complex of boundary
ditches which extends for nearly nine miles from west
to east across Cranborne Chase. Most of the complex
lies in Hampshire and it will be described, as a whole,
in the Inventory of that County; it also continues into
the extreme S. of Wiltshire. The Dorset section (map
opp. p. 55 and Plate 56) comprises a bank and ditch
just over 1½ miles long, extending N.W. from Blagdon
Hill (05551802) in two straight alignments to the vicinity
of the Epaulement (03741962), the earthwork which
projects S.W. from Bokerley Dyke (16) and represents
part of an early phase in the development of that
Monument. For much of its length the Dorset section
of Grim's Ditch has been flattened by ploughing, but
where best preserved, on Blagdon Hill, it comprises a
bank 20 ft. across and up to 3 ft. high with a ditch 16 ft.
across and 2 ft. deep along the N.E. side. On Blagdon
Hill the earthwork turns E. and after passing under
Bokerley Dyke continues on Tidpit Common Down,
but the 300 ft. length immediately W. of the dyke has
been levelled. At the N.W. end ploughing has obliterated the relationship of Grim's Ditch with Bokerley
Dyke and the Epaulement; it is possible that it continued
N.W. on the line later followed by Bokerley Dyke.
The Grim's Ditch complex almost certainly evolved over a
lengthy period, extending from the Bronze Age probably into
Romano-British times. As yet, however, only the stretch on
Martin Down (045201), just across the county boundary with
Hampshire, has been satisfactorily dated; a length of 300 ft. was
excavated by Pitt-Rivers and found to be of the Bronze Age
(Pitt-Rivers, Excavations IV, 190). This complex of boundary
ditches is no more than part of a former system of land allotment
and utilisation, into which adjacent hill-forts, settlements,
'Celtic' fields and also barrows were integrated (Sumner,
Cranborne Chase, 57–62; Antiquity XVIII (1944), 65–71).
(18) Hill-fort (040171), on Penbury Knoll, is a small univallate enclosure, possibly unfinished; it is pear-shaped in plan and
3¾ acres in area internally. It lies over 575 ft. above O.D., on the
summit of a long, narrow N.E.–S.W. Chalk ridge, capped with
Reading Beds and Clay-with-flints. The site has been severely
damaged by shallow quarrying in the past and much of the
interior is obscured by trees and undergrowth. On W. and N.
the enclosure is defined by a bank, up to 25 ft. across and 2 ft.
high above the interior, broken on the N.W. by a large quarrypit. In front of the rampart on the W. is a ditch up to 3 ft. deep
and 25 ft. across; on the N. is a terrace about 10 ft. wide. The
remainder of the circuit of the defences, except for a gap of
100 ft. on the E., is represented by a scarp up to 25 ft. in width
and from 1 to 5 ft. in height. Behind the rampart on the N. side
are quarry pits contemporary with its construction, but elsewhere within the interior quarrying appears to be of more
recent date. No occupation features are visible in the interior
and no certain entrance can be detected. 'Celtic' fields (Group (85),
p. 118) lie immediately W. and N. of the enclosure and are
probably, but not certainly, associated with it.
Monuments (19–23), Long Barrows
Four certain long barrows and one probable occur in
the parish; they all appear to be associated with the
Dorset Cursus (Gussage St. Michael (9)). Barrow (19)
is incorporated in the bank of the Cursus; the others are
sited near and are aligned upon its N.E. end on Bokerley
Down (Plate 56). All but (19), which has been planted
with conifers, have been damaged by repeated ploughing around them.
(19) Long Barrow (02581694), on the spine of a low spur in
Salisbury Plantation, has been incorporated in the N.W. bank
of the Cursus. Its alignment (S.W.–N.E.) differs slightly from
that of the Cursus, which it appears to pre-date. The mound,
140 ft. long, is 50 ft. across and 8 ft. high at the N.E. end, and
40 ft. across and 4½ ft. high at the S.W. end.
(20) Long Barrow (04161876), on Bokerley Down, lies on the
N. slope of a low spur and is aligned N.N.W.–S.S.E. on the
N.E. end of the Cursus. Ploughing has largely obliterated the
side ditches and has damaged the mound; it is now 300 ft. long,
and 60 ft. across and 8 ft. high at the S.E. end, but narrower and
lower at the N.W. end.
(21) Long Barrow (04081913), one of a pair set end-to-end
immediately S.E. of the end of the Cursus, is aligned S.E.–N.W.
upon it. The mound, badly damaged by ploughing at its N.W.
end, is 185 ft. long; at the S.E. end it is 60 ft. wide and 6 ft. high,
decreasing N.W. Ploughing has almost totally obscured the side
ditches and has widened and squared-off the gap between this
barrow and (22).
(18) Hill-fort on Penbury Knoll
(22) Long Barrow (04121906), immediately S.E. of (21), lies
on a similar but not identical alignment; air photographs and
probing indicate that the side ditches of the two barrows are
continuous. The mound, which has a level top, is 270 ft. long,
70 ft. wide and 5 ft. high.
(23) Long Barrow ? (03941951), close to Bokerley Dyke and
300 yds. N. of the end of the Cursus, has been much damaged
by ploughing, but earlier observations (Dorset Barrows, 81) and
air photographs (N.M.R., SU 0319/3, 7, 8) indicate the presence
of side ditches aligned S.E.–N.W. The mound is 95 ft. long,
70 ft. across and 4 ft. high.
Monuments (24–34), Round Barrows
Eleven round barrows can be identified in the parish,
but nearly all have been damaged by ploughing. Three
barrows on the W. side of Bokerley Dyke were opened
before 1810 by Colt Hoare, but they cannot be precisely
located and therefore are not identifiable with existing
Monuments. Two, possibly (33) and (34), were close
together. The smaller of them covered a primary deposit
comprising a Beaker in a cist 3 ft. deep and also a
secondary cremation in a large urn 'simply ornamented'
(R. Colt Hoare, Ancient Wiltshire, I (1812), 234–5); the
other contained two skeletons and pagan Saxon objects,
including a split-socketed iron spearhead and two
knives, but it is uncertain if these were in a primary or
secondary context (Ibid., 234, Pl. xxxi, B, Nos. 1, 2;
A. Meaney, Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites
(1964), 81). The third barrow opened by Colt Hoare
lay 'nearer to Woodyates Inn' and also contained pagan
Saxon objects. In the mound, which was surrounded
by large sarsen stones, were a small hook, a buckle and
a clench bolt, all of iron, and an ivory bracelet; beneath
was an extended female skeleton near the head of
which lay two further clench bolts, two beads of blue
glass and one of jet, and a small lozenge-shaped gold
pendant, apparently ornamented in cloisonné enamel
(Hoare, loc. cit., 235, Pl. xxxii; Meaney, Gazetteer, 82).
Another barrow 'near Woodyates Inn', opened c. 1842
by W. Chaffers, remains unlocated and may be in
Hampshire; it contained what was probably a primary
inhumation, placed E.–W. in a chalk-cut grave and
accompanied by an iron dagger and an unidentified iron
object (Arch., XXX (1844), 547; Warne, C.T.D., Pt. 3,
(24) Bowl (02511620), an outlying member of the Salisbury
Plantation group (Wimborne St. Giles (75–82)), has been
planted with conifers. Diam. 52 ft., ht. 6 ft.
(25) Bowl (03761736), on Pentridge Down, lies on the N.W.
slope of a spur among 'Celtic' fields (Group (85), p. 118) and
actually within one of them (Plate 84). It is not clear from surface
evidence if the barrow was built before or after the field had
been laid out; the latter seems more likely. Diam. 50 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(26) Bowl (03091797), on a low ridge just N.W. of the village,
has been much damaged by ploughing; former diam. 45 ft.,
ht. 4½ ft.
Two ring ditches, probably barrows, appear as soil marks on
air photographs (C.U.A.P., ANE 7, 8). They lie close together
in the dry valley immediately N. of the village.
(27) Barrow ? (03591811); about 55 ft. in diameter.
(28) Barrow ? (03641816); about 50 ft. in diameter.
Bokerley Down Group consists of four round barrows together
with the three long barrows (20–22) which extend S.S.E. from
the end of the Cursus. All but (32) have been much reduced by
(29) Bowl (04201871), close to the S.E. end of (20); diam.
45 ft., ht. 1½ ft.
(30) Bowl (04151892); former diam. 50 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(31) Bowl (04131895); diam. 50 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(32) Bowl (04161901), surviving as a rectangular island in
arable; diam. 60 ft., ht. 5 ft.
Two barrows (Plate 56) lie close together on Blagdon Hill,
just S. of Bokerley Dyke (16) and adjacent to Grim's Ditch (17).
Both have been dug into in the past.
(33) Bowl (05371811), well preserved; diam. 58 ft., ht. 6 ft.;
ditch 12 ft. wide and 1½ ft. deep.
(34) Bowl (05391811), N. side overlain by Grim's Ditch;
diam. 38 ft., ht. 3½ ft.