(O.S. 6 ins. TL 35 S.E.)
Harlton is a small village about 1 m. W. of Haslingfield
standing in the middle of an irregularly shaped parish of
1261 acres. Drainage is to the Bourn Brook which forms
the N. boundary and is less than 50 ft. above O.D. at the
point where it leaves the parish; on the S. a ridge of
lower chalk, rising to over 200 ft. and capped with
boulder clay, divides Harlton from Barrington; intermediate soils vary through chalk and gault to river
gravel in the immediate vicinity of the Brook. At the
W. end of the S., upland, boundary stood the maypole,
believed to have been on the site of the Wetherley
hundred moot (Monument (17)).
The village houses range either side of a winding E.
and W. street. The church, c. 1370 and of more than
ordinary architectural merit, is placed N. of this street
with Manor Farm (Monument (2)) and three earthworks
(Monuments (14–16)) further N. and W. At the general
enclosure (by act of 1808) there was a small green, S.
of the church, which was divided and allotted.
Secular buildings of 1715–1850, not separately listed,
include some internal-chimney houses in framing with
thatched or tiled roofs, as well as others in white brick,
clay bat and clunch, mostly with end-chimney plans.
Some (e.g. at N.G. TL 38025235 and between 38245235
and 38375236) stand on ground allotted at enclosure to
John Whitechurch who in 1814 won a prize from the
Cambridgeshire Agricultural Society for 'the landowner
who shall have laid the greatest quantity of land in lots
of not less than one rood in each lot, to cottage houses,
and furnished the cottager with young apple or other
fruit trees' (Cambridge Chronicle, 29 April and 8 July
1814); but none of the seven model cottages, if any
survive, is certainly identifiable.
(1) Parish Church of the Assumption of the
Blessed Virgin Mary (Plates 92 and 93) stands on a
slight eminence in a rectangular churchyard, extended
to the E. since the general enclosure; it consists of a
Chancel, Nave with Aisles and Porches, and West Tower.
The church was entirely faced with Roman cement
c. 1844; this has been replaced with later plaster in
places, in others it has flaked off, while from the N. aisle
it has recently been removed in the course of restoration.
Judging from what is now exposed the walls of the
chancel are of clunch ashlar, and those of the nave and
tower of field stones and clunch, both with dressings of
clunch and freestone. The roofs are covered with lead,
except those of the aisles which are slated. The fabric,
with the exception of the vestry built c. 1844 and the
apparently earlier W. tower, may be ascribed on stylistic
grounds to the second half of the 14th century. The
chancel closely resembles that at Ashwell, Hertfordshire,
which has been attributed to a date between 1360 and
1380 (R.C.H.M., Hertfordshire (1911), 38). There are no
certain indications of an earlier building, though the
carcase of the tower seems to pre-date, perhaps only
slightly, its arch and blocked W. window; and the
irregular dimensions of the chancel may imply reliance
on older foundations. Most of the exterior detail, in
particular labels and their stops and vulnerable horizontal features such as the embattled transoms in the S.
aisle windows, may be original although the visible
materials are entirely 19th-century or later. There is
some restoration inside the building too, much
of it also in Roman cement. In addition to the work of
1844, further renovation took place in 1912, and more
is at present in progress.
Harlton, the Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33¼ ft. by 18 ft.
E. to 17½ ft. W.) has two-stage right-angle buttresses with
weathered offsets at the E. end and on the S. side; to the N.
there is only a low buttress of a single stage at the E. end of the
wall, which may be the stub of the E. wall of an original
comparatively large N. annexe replaced by the vestry. The
wide E. window (Plate 69) is of five cinque-foiled lights with
vertical and intersecting tracery in two orders. Above it the
gable parapet has a moulded string carved with three reptilian
grotesques, now much eroded. The N. wall has in the E. half
an outward doorway, with continuously moulded jambs and
head; at the W. end of the wall is a window of two cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery. The S. wall has similar
three-light and two-light windows, both restored inside as
well as out; between them is a doorway with continuously
moulded jambs and head. The splays of the windows in the
side walls are carried down below the glass; in the first window
on the S. side the recess so formed serves as a sedile. The recesses
to the two western windows finish level with the top of the
stalls; that on the S. is formed by a later blocking of a three-light 'low-side' window below a transom. This 'low-side',
exposed during recent repairs and subsequently reblocked,
had cinquefoil heads to each light. The corresponding N.
window may have had a similar feature. The chancel arch is
of two moulded orders separated by three-quarter hollows
and has moulded labels both sides, with carved stops (Plate
96) in part defaced or restored; the responds are treated as
groups of three part-octagonal shafts corresponding to the
orders of the arch, with intervening and flanking mouldings
separately stopped, and with moulded caps and bases; the
inner shaft on both sides has been cut into to fit the screen,
the mullions of which are of the same section.
The Nave (49½ ft. by 18¾ ft.) has uniform arcades of four
bays each, with lofty pointed arches of three moulded orders
separated by three-quarter hollows; moulded labels both to
the nave and to the aisles have carved head stops (Plate 96)
some of which have been restored or re-cut. The piers are
diagonal square on plan, the corners being treated as partoctagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases; between the
shafts the middle orders of the arches are carried down to
individual stops. (Plate 8.) The responds are half piers. The
low clearstorey is blind.
The North Aisle (9¼ ft. wide) has an E. window of two lights
with cinque-foiled heads and a mullion and transom, and flowing
tracery in two orders in a two-centred head; its moulded
internal label has stops carved as half angels bearing blank
shields. The splays are carried down below the glass, presumably for a small reredos, but the recess has been lowered by
cutting away another 6 ins. of walling. In the N. wall are three
virtually uniform windows, each divided into three lights,
with a transom, vertical tracery in a four-centred head,
and an internal label; the lights are cinquefoil-headed except
those below the transom in the first window which have
been altered; the spandrels between the heads of the lower
lights and the transoms are pierced in the second window but
solid in the third. The blocked N. doorway has jambs and head
continuously moulded; the side wall has a restored moulded
string at window sill level which is stopped either side of the
door. Canted across the S.E. corner of the aisle is a doorway
(Plate 8) to an octagonal stair turret to the nave roof; it is
continuously moulded, with cusped spandrels above on either
side, suggesting a square outer head, and retains its original
door. The turret stair has an original moulded and recessed
rail and is lit by three trefoiled lancets in the N.E. face; it
rises to a door in the S.W. face, now ruinous, above which
the turret finishes with an embattled parapet with string-course
and small gargoyle. A square-headed doorway to a rood loft
was later intruded, but is now blocked.
The South Aisle (9¼ ft. wide) has windows generally resembling those of the N. aisle, but the E. window has flowing
tracery and its transom is embattled internally; the side windows
uniformly resemble with small variations those in the N. aisle.
The S. doorway is wider and higher than the N. doorway
and has moulded jambs, two-centred inner and square outer
head with sunk cusped spandrels and a moulded label returned
to the side walls. Along the S. wall internally at sill level is a
moulded string, mutilated and restored. The W. walls of the
aisles have apparently been blind from the beginning. The
three-stage angle buttresses of the aisles, which have weathered
offsets, are uniform except for one on the N. side which has
The North Porch, the floor of which has been lowered to form
a heating chamber, is plastered internally; there are no windows in the side walls. In the angles are the springers of a vault.
The entrance arch has continuous moulded jambs and head in
two orders separated by a three-quarter hollow. The South
Porch, which was formerly higher, is unusually short and wide
and is plastered inside and out; no side windows are traceable.
The entrance arch is in two orders, the outer continuous, the
inner carried on part-circular shafts with moulded caps and
The West Tower (9½ ft. by 8¾ ft.) is ordered externally in two
stages, the lower stage coming right up to the sills of the belfry
windows, at which level a string is carried round the tops of
the three-stage W. angle buttresses: the upper stage has a large
lancet with a label in each face and is surmounted by an
embattled parapet. The W. window is blocked. The lofty
tower arch is of three moulded orders to the E., separated by
three-quarter hollows, the outside ones continuous with the
responds, the inmost dying into chamfers, and has a moulded
label; to the W. it is of a single moulded order only. The
masonry is exposed inside the tower and it suggests that the
arch and W. window may have been intruded into somewhat
earlier walling. In the lower part of the S. wall is a recess
finished with Roman cement, of doubtful date. The tower is
topped by a low pyramidal roof.
The Roofs of the chancel and nave are 16th- or 17th-century.
The chancel roof is of very low pitch and is divided into three
bays by cambered tie beams; these and the ridge piece are
moulded, with carved bosses at the intersections; the rafters
and boarding are exposed. The nave roof, also low-pitched,
has cambered tie beams braced to wall posts, short king posts
braced to the ridge, side purlins resting on the tie and a dentilled wall plate; the extremities of the braces are masked by
carved bosses resembling corbels and pendants. At the base of
the wall posts are 14th-century or later stone corbels carved as
half angels, except for two plain replacements. The lean-to
aisle roofs are comparatively modern; they are supported at
the top by old stone corbels which may be in situ.
Fittings—Benefactors' table: against W. wall of N. aisle,
recording the re-pewing of the church in 1843 at the cost of
the Incorporated Church Building Society (see Seating below).
Brackets: In chancel—at E. end of N. wall (1) moulded and
embattled, with supporting half angel; (2–4), reset, carved
with conventional clouds and diagonal scrolls (see Screen
below). In N. aisle—N. of E. window (5) moulded with
supporting half angel. In S. aisle—either side of E. window (6)
similar to (5); (7) defaced; set in string course below first
window in S. wall (8) half angel with scroll. In N. porch—
placed on springers of vault (9–12) four corbels similar to but
not uniform with (2–4) above, that on the S.W. springer
almost worn away; over N. door, supporting image (see Image
below) (13) with several banks of cloud and parallel diagonal
scrolls. All are late 14th- or 15th-century. Communion table:
with enriched top rail, scrolled braces to turned legs and moulded
bottom rail: first half of 17th century. Door: To stair turret in
N. aisle (Plate 8) of overlapping vertical planks with scrolled
strap hinges; second half of 14th century. Font: c. 1845 in
Gothic style. Glass: in E. window (1) shield of the Trinity with
gold roundels, ruby and clear background, black-letter inscriptions; second half of 14th century, reset. In E. window of
S. aisle (2) a few quarries and border fragments; probably
15th-century. Image: reset over N. door, of clunch, figure
seated upon throne in tunic with girdle at the waist, head and
arms missing, perhaps Virgin and Child; second half of 14th
Sculptured Figure, Harlton Church
Total Height 2'11"
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: In N. aisle (1) of
John Whitechurch, 1828, his wife Sarah, 1837, and James,
their son, 1819; in the Greek manner, signed 'Swinton Camb';
(2) of William Simpson, 1844, his wife Jane, 1865 and six
children, died in infancy. In S. aisle (3) of Henry Fryer, 1631,
his father Thomas Fryer, M.D., 1623, his mother Mary, 1614,
and his step-mother Bridget who survived her husband (Frontispiece); 'a most beautiful and magnificent Monument', to
quote Cole's description (Palmer, Inscriptions and Arms from
Cambs., 73), in carved, painted and gilded alabaster, erected by
Henry Fryer's executors, the main feature of which is an arched
recess enclosing the kneeling effigies of Thomas, in doctor's
robes, Henry in armour, and Mary in a black robe with ruff
and flat-topped hat. In a basement is the likeness of Bridget,
reclining upon a shelf or tomb chest in black robe with slashed
sleeves, veiled and holding a book. The arch is supported by
mourning terminal figures (Plate 89) to the same scale as
the effigies and of monolithic appearance, on the E. side a
male holding the hem of his garment to his left eye, on the W.
a female with folded arms; both support cushions upon their
heads beneath Ionic caps. The spandrels of the arch are filled
by winged victories proffering wreaths; flanking them are two
emblematic figures; a third above a scrolled pediment which
encloses a cartouche of arms is a Charity with two infants.
Within the arch, above the main effigies, is an inscription panel
in a cartouche beneath an achievement of arms supported by
flying cherubs. A Latin inscription, recording the names and
dates of the departed, is followed by a rhyming and punning
elegy in English. In the basement, pedestals either side of the
effigy enclose further cartouches of arms; the tomb chest has
a blank inscription panel on the face, also in a cartouche frame.
The gilded iron rails and curtain rod described by Cole have
disappeared. In churchyard—W. of tower (4) headstone, of
Henry Page, 1717. Floor slabs: In nave (1) of Joseph Rich,
1838; (2) of John Wilson, 1822. In S. aisle (3) of John Whitechurch, date illegible; (4) of Mary, wife of John Whitechurch,
1814;(5) of Ann Whitechurch, 1813;(6) of Mary Whitechurch,
1771; (7) of Eliza, daughter of Robert and Ann Whitechurch,
1817;(8) of Robert Whitechurch, 1837; (9) of Ann Whitechurch, 1791.
Niches: In chancel—either side of E. window, part-hexagonal
and almost uniform, each with image recess flanked by
buttresses rising off carved corbels (Plate 96) and surmounted
by a vaulted canopy with pinnacles at the angles and a cusped
arch beneath a crocketed gable in each face, behind which a
crocketed spire rises to a finial. The image stood on boldly
projecting part-octagonal brackets or pedestals with crocketed
gables in the faces enclosing vertical-tracery window forms
beneath a carved cornice; the lower parts of these features are
concealed or have been replaced by modern woodwork
completing the composition. Second half of the 14th century,
restored. Piscina: In chancel, having continuous moulded jambs,
ogee cinque-foiled head and cusped spandrels beneath a square
moulded label with 19th-century stops; no drain; second half
of 14th century. Plate: includes a cup, gilded inside, London
1810. Pulpit: Octagonal, panelled in two heights with
moulded base and dentilled cornice; the tall lower panels are
carved with round arches enriched with guilloche and rising
off fluted and reeded pilasters; the upper panels each have two
double marigolds against a guilloche ground; first half of 17th
century. Recess: In N. face of W. respond of N. arcade, with
rebate for door or grille; the back has been hacked away and
the wall above is irregular, as though a carved overpiece had
been removed; mediaeval. Reredos (Plate 69): Beneath E.
window and flanked by the two niches described above,
divided by buttresses into 13 bays, and in three stages, the
uppermost comprising a row of shallow image recesses, each
with moulded jambs, depressed ogee cinque-foiled head and
crocketed label rising to a finial beneath a moulded cornice.
In the seven centre bays the middle and bottom stages are
omitted to allow a plain recess for the altar; in the side bays
they are occupied respectively by rectangular cinque-foiled
panels and by a bold plinth. The complete buttresses have a
base and three offsets. Second half of the 14th century, restored;
the sculpture occupying the recesses is modern. Scratchings: A
large number inside, scattered all over the building, incised on
clunch dressings, mostly less than six feet above ground,
predominantly in mediaeval or 16th-century minuscule, in
Latin and English but including names and pictorial subjects
such as windmills; names incised on the piers of the nave may
imply a more or less deliberate votive or commemorative
intention. The following is a selection: In chancel—on W.
jamb of piscina (1) 'magna est veritas et praevalet'; on N.
respond of chancel arch (2) 'suffraunce', followed by a long
inscription, not read; on E. face of screen immediately N. of
entrance (3) 'Pentecost' several times (also to be found elsewhere in the church). In nave—on first pier of N. arcade (4)
'Syr James [Hylton?]'; on second pier (5), repeated, 'qui me
deridet non sua facta videt'; on third pier (6) 'orate pro anima
Thome [?] cujus anime propicietur Deus amen'; on third pier
of S. arcade (7) 'Pray for the so. ., of Rychard [?]'. The above
transcripts have been expanded where appropriate.
Stone Screen in Harlton Church
Showing Areas of Later Patching on the West Side
Screen: of clunch, added beneath chancel arch but virtually
contemporary, in two heights with central entrance having to
the W. moulded jambs and continuous four-centred head; to
the E. the entrance is rebated for a door and is flanked by pilaster
buttresses. The lower height is plain except for a small opening
with pointed head in the N. half (see Squint below). The upper
height has two narrow openings either side of the entrance
with cinque-foiled four-centred heads and sunk spandrels;
two similar but wider openings over the entrance have depressed heads; over all is an embattled cornice. The responds
of the chancel arch and both faces of the screen exhibit traces
of a symmetrical arrangement of niches and brackets. On the
W. face above the entrance is a cement patch corresponding to
a bracket and image; the patch extends into the central mullion,
and a short distance above it is a dowel hole for securing the
image. Similar patches and dowel holes at one level are to be
seen on the side mullions and on the S.W. and N.W. faces
respectively of the N. and S. responds, except for the last
mullion to the S. which has been partly renewed and is not
dowelled. In the E. angles of the nave are larger patches indicating a pair of niches for images which were probably elements in the same iconographical scheme. There are a number
of metal dowels above the cornice. On the E. face of the screen
above the entrance is a small bracket carved with conventional
clouds and including what may be meant for the lower part of
a figure; the flanking pilasters are surmounted by moulded
part-octagonal brackets. The lower height of the screen is
concealed on the E. by stalls. The screen no doubt included, or
was later supplemented by, woodwork. Patches in the nave
sides of the E. responds of the main arcades some 2 ft. W. of
the screen include provision for a beam somewhat above the
level of the screen cornice and for further timbers lower down
in the same vertical plane. A groove scored in the soffit of the
chancel arch must at one time have held a wooden tympanum.
Some or all of a number of corbels reset in the chancel and
N. porch (see Brackets (2–4) and (9–13) above) and a detached
image, also in the N. porch (see Image above), may have come
from the screen, as the measurements are appropriate. Seating:
in the nave and aisles; 19th-century open pews with Gothic
tracery are presumably those installed in 1843 (see Benefactors'
table above). Squint: in screen and perhaps contemporary with
it. Stalls: either side of chancel, returned against screen; only
the desks, with crude shaped ends and fronts panelled with
applied tracery, are old; 16th-century restored. Stoup: in
S.W. angle of N. porch, mutilated and made up with extraneous stonework, but presumably original.
Harlton, The Rectory, Monument No. 7
(2) Manor Farm consists of a house and buildings. The
House (Class U), of two storeys with attics and cellar, has redbrick walls and hipped slated roof. It is late 17th-century,
remodelled in the 19th century; a stone fragment in the garden,
possibly part of a date panel, is inscribed '16[87?]'. A platband
of three courses at first-floor level runs round the building.
The main elevation to the W., in three bays, is 19th-century in
character, but two original mullion-and-transom windows
survive to the N. and E. Apart from a cupboard with panelled
doors and shaped shelves no significant original features survive
inside. The Buildings include a six-bay barn, aisled on one side,
framed and boarded, of 16th- or 17th-century origin, and
another of seven bays, also boarded, in part 18th-century.
(3) House, a square red-brick structure of the early 18th
century with an ornamental eaves cornice of five courses and
hipped tiled roof rising to a 19th-century chimney; it may have
originated as a pigeon house.
(4) House (Class J), framed and plastered, with half-hipped
thatched roofs, 17th-century, is of a single storey, open to the
roof at the W. end behind the chimney; the remainder is now
floored and with an attic. The chimney has a bread oven on the
(5) Houses, comprising a dwelling and two cottages built
as a single unit c. 1840, two-storeyed, with walls of clunch
ashlar, apparently of cavity construction, and slated roofs.
The dwelling has a main elevation to the W. in three bays
with round-headed front door. The cottages are attached to
the back at the S. end and share an internal chimney.
(6) House, formerly two dwellings, framed, plastered and
thatched, forms a long E. and W. range on the N. side of the
street at the western outskirts. Both components are 17th-century. The E. half is of a single storey only and was originally
open to the roof which is half-hipped to the E. There are indications of an original central hearth with a studwork chimney
or cowl placed on the W. side of a central partition. The somewhat higher W. half has an attic lit by two (probably original)
dormers, and a modern internal chimney which interrupts an
axial stop-chamfered ceiling beam.
(7) Rectory, now alienated, two-storeyed, of white brick
with hipped slated roofs, was built in the Regency tradition, by
the then Rector, James Fendall, in 1843 at a cost of £1907. 1. 3.
The plan is in double depth save for the lower N. wing which
contains the offices: smaller rooms either side of the front door
probably served for the professional duties of the incumbent,
the larger apartments beyond for his private and social life.
(8) House (Class J), two-storeyed, with plastered downbraced frame and hipped roof covered with tiles, is of mid
17th-century origin. The unheated W. end of the house and
the roof may be 18th-century.
(9) House (Class K), of one storey and attic, framed and
plastered, with half-hipped thatched roof, was pulled down in
1961. It was of 17th-century origin, but examination during
demolition made it clear that the building had been heightened
and must originally have been one-storeyed.
(10–13) Houses, are or have been Class-J or similar internalchimney dwellings, framed and plastered, with thatched or
(14) Moated Site (?) (N.G. TL 387526, not on O.S.),on
a level site of chalk marl in pasture, 400 ft. N. of the church.
A roughly rectangular platform, 86 ft. N. by 75 ft. E. by 90 ft.
S. by 65 ft. W., is from 6 ins. to, on the W., 1 ft. high. W., S.
and E. of this platform the field is scored by about ten parallel
oval hollows running E. and W. One of these, 100 ft. S. of the
platform, 100 ft. long, 40 ft. wide and 1ft. deep, may have been
a pond; the remainder, of comparable length, are 15 ft. to 20 ft.
wide and 6 ins. deep. A drawing made c. 1760 (B. M. Stowe
MS. 1025, 58) shows a small moat attached on the W. to a
larger embanked enclosure; the 1808 enclosure map (C.R.O.)
shows the small moat endorsed 'Moat Orchard'.
(15) Pond (N.G. TL 383526; not on O.S.), in the E. half of
Butler's Spinney, now dry. A sketch, apparently of this feature,
made c. 1760, is in the British Museum (B. M. Stowe MS.
1025, 58). A roughly rectangular area measuring 300 ft.
S.E. by 180 ft. W. is bounded on three sides by a bank 35 ft.
wide and 4 ft. to 5 ft. high with a flat top 11 ft. to 18 ft. wide.
This enclosure seems to have been filled by streams running E.
along the S. side and N. along the E. side; the interior is now
drained by a deep channel running parallel to and N. of the S.
Harlton, Monument 16
(16) Moated Site (Class A 3; N.G. TL 385530, only moat
(a) on O.S.), occupying a roughly oblong area of gault clay
under pasture, with a slight rise to the E., between two
streams flowing N. The complex consists of three moats,
connecting channels and two fishponds. In the 16th or 17th
century the whole appears to have been gardens and pools
around a house occupying moat (a), but moat (b), which
unlike the remainder is clearly defensive, may have originated
as the site of a mediaeval manor house; 17th-century pottery
has been found. The enclosure map (C.R.O.) shows that in
1808 the site was approached from the S. by a lane branching
off the road and running beside the E. stream and present
(a), the middle moat, is sub-rectangular, 80 ft. N. by 117 ft.
E. by 92 ft. S. by 95 ft. W., and is surrounded by a wet ditch
30 ft. wide and 2½ ft. deep. Three corners of the interior are
slightly raised. A recent trench near the N.W. angle exposed,
6 ins. below the surface, a 6-in. layer of roofing tiles, bones,
oyster shells and charcoal, of uncertain date but with a 17th-century potsherd.
The E. stream flows along the E. side of (a). A curving channel to the W. marks a former course of the W. stream and is
connected to the S.W. corner of (a) by a ditch, from which
another channel, to the N.E., apparently filled two trapezoidal
fishponds 15 ft. to 27 ft. wide and respectively 75 ft. and 90 ft.
(b), to the S., is rectangular, 142 ft. by 125 ft., with a dry
ditch 25 ft. to 30 ft. wide and 2 ft. deep. The ditch was probably filled from the streams by two channels, now dry and
shallow. A causeway across the E. side does not seem to be
(c), to the N. of (a), is a moat with a ditch 14 ft. to 22 ft.
wide and 1½ ft. deep surrounding an island 36 ft. square. The
N. side is continued E. and W. by a channel 30 ft. wide with
a bank to the N. 25 ft. wide and 1½ ft. high.
An E. and W. bank further N. of (c), a hollow between (a)
and (c), and channels to the S. of (a) are all probably comparatively modern.
(17) Mound (N.G. TL 36725154; at trigonometrical point
on O.S.), in arable, on the summit of a prominent hill, of chalk
capped with boulder clay, 200 ft. above sea level; 150 ft. in
diameter and only 6 ins. to 9 ins. high. Mediaeval pottery of
the 11th to 14th centuries and later has been found on the surface. This was the site of a maypole until at least 1887 (O.S.
6 ins., 1st ed.) and may perhaps be the lost Wetherley, the
meeting place of the hundred of that name. (Reaney, 'Placenames of Cambs.', 69.)
(18) Cultivation Remains (not on O.S.). Slight remains
of ridge and furrow survive in the W. of the parish, around
N.G. TL 378525, with ridges 100 yds. long, 6 yds. to 12 yds.
wide and 1 ft. high and with headlands of 9 yds. to 11 yds.
Others around N.G. TL 389525, with curved ridges, are now
only 60 yds. to 100 yds. long, 9 yds. to 12 yds. wide and 1 ft.
high with a headland of 15 yds; they are the S. end of a larger
There are traces of curving furlongs on air photographs,
S. of the village around N.G. TL 384520, and in the N. and
N.W. of the parish around N.G. TL 392537 and 384547;
between the Cambridge to Wimpole road and the W. parish
boundary are traces of two curving headlands 460 yds. and
600 yds. long and 230 yds. to 260 yds. apart, running N.E. and
S.W. All the remains and traces seem to belong to the open
fields, called in 1808 'Brook', 'High', 'Low' and 'Mill' Fields.
(Ref: preliminary enclosure map n.d. and enclosure map
1808 (C.R.O.); air photographs: 106G/UK/1718/3153, 4146–8,
Scratching on N. arcade