(O.S. 6 ins. aTL 24 N.E., bTL 35 S.W., cTL 24 S.E.)
The civil parish of Hatley, 2255 acres, was formed in
1956 by uniting Hatley St. George (alias Hungry
Hatley) and the slightly larger East Hatley (sometimes
called Castell Hatley); the ecclesiastical parishes remain
separate. An adjoining parish, Cockayne Hatley, is in
Bedfordshire. The three places already existed before
the Conquest; Domesday Book records three vills,
indifferently called Hatley, in the three separate hundreds
to which they still belong. The pattern of settlement
involved may relate to a decayed road, the course of
which can be traced from the fens N. of St. Ives,
through Eltisley towards Ashwell and Baldock. A
stretch survives in the W. confines of Hatley St. George
and is known as Bar or Burr Lane. The site of what is
believed to be the late mediaeval manor house of the St.
Georges, now known as Park Farm (Monument (4)),
lies on this road. The seat of the manor was subsequently
moved ⅓ m. to the E. where Hatley Park (Monument
(3)) now stands.
Hatley St. George, a single manor, belonged to the
St. George family at least from Henry III's time, and
was then probably already emparked. The village today
consists of a few estate dwellings, mostly 19th-century,
ranged along the modern road from Gamlingay to
Croydon which cuts across the old lines of communication but which now provides the sole access for vehicles.
No earlier village site has been identified. East Hatley,
on the other hand, has important village remains
(Monument (18)), grouped around a triangular green
at the meeting point of two former roads from the N.E.
The Hatleys, together with the adjoining parts of
Croydon, include the highest ground in W. Cambridgeshire, running up to 270 ft. above O.D. Drainage
is W. and S.W. via the river Ivel to the Ouse. The
land is heavy boulder clay, agriculturally marginal.
Vancouver (Ag. of Cambs., 89–90) speaks of 'a thriving
growth of oak', and the whole area must once have been
well-wooded, some parts, such as the 'Wilds', perhaps to
a relatively late date, although there has been intermittent cultivation over most of the area (see Monuments
(19) and (20)). Enclosure in both places was effected
before the days of the parliamentary enactments.
a(1) Former Parish Church of St. Denis, East
Hatley, stands in the middle of a square churchyard
which is bounded by ditches to the N., W. and S., that to
the N. being wet (see Monument (18)). The walls are
of field stones with clunch and freestone dressings; the
roofs are tiled. The fabric consists of a chancel, almost
entirely rebuilt and lengthened in the course of a
general restoration by Butterfield in 1874, with a small
modern vestry; and Nave, of c. 1300 but with some apparently rather later detail, and with rebuilt S. porch.
The building is now derelict, a small replacement having
been recently built to the E. on the other side of the
Hatley, Former Parish Church of St. Denis, East Hatley
Architectural Description—The W. extremity of the N.
wall of the chancel is old and retains a blocked square-headed
'low-side' window with chamfered surround. The chancel
arch has been rebuilt but some dressings have been reused,
including the moulded caps to both responds, of c. 1300.
The Nave (45½ ft. by 21 ft.) is probably of c. 1300, although
some of the openings look a little later. There are three windows
in the N. wall: the first of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil
in the head, is restored and has modern splays and rear arch;
the second and third, both somewhat restored, are lancets, the
second with a cinque-foiled, the third with a trefoiled head.
The three windows on the S. side resemble those corresponding to them on the N. and are somewhat restored; the W.
window resembles the middle windows of both side walls and
is set between restored buttresses rising to the rebuilt bell-cote.
The N. doorway is of two continuous chamfered orders; the
mid 14th-century S. doorway is of two continuous wavemoulded orders separated by a three-quarter hollow. The nave
roof is modern.
Fittings—Bell: formerly in bell-cote over W. gable (Raven,
Church Bells of Cambs., 150); sold for scrap, 1964. Brasses:
formerly in nave, towards E. end (Mill Stephenson, Monumental Brasses (1926), 61), (1) female figure, now removed to
new church. The matrix remains with indents for a male
figure and also for three shields, described by Mill Stephenson,
which have recently been stolen. In nave (2) of Constance,
wife of Robert Castell, 1610, rectangular inscription plate
('She was very kinde and liberall to all that feared God and
mercifull to the poore'). Glass: in tracery of first window on
N. side of nave, small roundel with fleur-de-lis framed in red
and blue; mediaeval. Monuments and Floor slab. Monuments:
In vestry—on N. wall (1) of Francis Say, 1705, clunch tablet
with shield of arms; on W. wall (2) of Francis Say, 1796,
lozenge-shaped tablet. In nave on W. wall (3) of Rev. William
Cray Say, Rector, 1751, white marble tablet. Floor slab: in
nave, towards E. end, much worn and largely illegible,
apparently that of Robert Castell, 1665 (Palmer, Inscriptions
and Arms from Cambs., 43). Niches: in nave, mutilated and reset
on either side of the chancel arch, similar but not uniform, with
hollow-chamfered jambs and cinque-foiled ogee heads; 14th-century. Plate: includes silver-gilt cup and paten, London
1684. Scratching: on E. jamb of S. door, 'I H S', perhaps
14th-century. Miscellaneous: Reset over S. door, cartouche
of arms of Downing impaling Howard and oblong date
panel inscribed'AN° DOM 1673' (Plate 126).
a(2) Parish Church of St. George, Hatley St.
George, straddles the N. and S. oblong churchyard
which is bounded by a bank on the N., towards the
road, and by a substantial ditch on the other sides, except at the N. end of the E. side where the churchyard
has been enlarged. The fabric consists of a chancel with
N. and S. adjuncts, rebuilt 1873–8; aisleless and porchless Nave; and West Tower, with N. vestry also of 1873–
8. The walls of the nave and tower, which are plastered,
are probably of field stones and rubble as are those of
the rebuilt chancel; dressings where original are of
clunch; the roofs are tiled.
The Lysons (Cambridgeshire, 210) say the church was
built in 1352, but without citing authority; the earliest
identifiable features, the N. and S. doors of the nave,
look somewhat later. The church, or what now remains
of it, was refenestrated in the 15th century. The top
stage of the tower was extensively repaired in red brick
Hatley, the Parish Church of St. George, Hatley St. George
Architectural Description—The tall and narrow chancel arch
is of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner
with modern or restored moulded caps and bases, and may be
of 14th-century origin.
The Nave (39¾ ft. by 20½ ft.) has two 15th-century windows
in each side wall, all of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery in a four-centred head, restored, those on the S.
side more or less completely. The N. doorway, of the second
half of the 14th century, has restored moulded jambs, two-centred inner and square outer head with quatre-foiled spandrels and a restored label with modern stops; the S. doorway
has continuously moulded jambs and is coeval. The S. nave
buttresses have been restored in the 17th or 18th centuries;
those on the N. more recently.
The West Tower (8 ft. by 8 ft.), late 14th- or 15th-century,
is divided by strings into three stages, with three-tier diagonal
W. buttresses and N. and S. angle buttresses of similar style at
the E. corners, reaching to the base of the top stage. The W.
window is of two cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
four-centred head. The second stage has a decayed trefoil-headed lancet in each free face. The top stage, much of which
has been repaired in brick, has large blocked arched windows
in each face with a smaller two-lights window in each blocking;
the embattled parapet, also of brick, has original gargoyles to
N., W. and S. The date '1625' incised in the plaster rendering
of the blocking of the N. belfry window is now scarcely
legible. The tower arch is of three continuous orders to the E.,
the middle order being moulded, the others chamfered; to the
W. it is of a single chamfered order.
The roofs are modern but that of the nave rises off eight
14th- or 15th-century moulded part-octagonal corbels with
supporting carved heads or half figures.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st dated 1682; 2nd, 1662; both by
Tobie Norris, with shields of arms of Cotton quartering Bruce
and inscriptions recording gift respectively by Sir Robert
and Sir Thomas Cotton. On wheel spokes of the 1st are inscribed the initials 'SL' and 'GL'; on those of the 2nd 'IS CW',
'1798'. Bell frame: with pits for two, perhaps 18th-century.
Books: two copies of Book of Common Prayer by John Baskett,
London 1715, contemporary leather bindings, gilt-stamped with
arms of Trefusis. Brass: of Baldwin St. George, 1425, male
figure in plate armour with part of sword missing; below is a
black-letter inscription and shield (unidentified II); the slab
is modern and either side of the figure are two modern blank
shields. Brass indent: in nave, much worn, for the above
figure and three shields. Monuments and Floor slab. Monuments:
In organ chamber—on W. wall (1) of John Thory, 1725,
stone tablet. In nave—on N. wall (2) of Elizabeth Quintin,
1801, and John Whitby Quintin, 1833, white marble tablet
with fluted side pilasters and apron; (3) of Best Pearse 1796,
and his wife Sarah, 1808, 'three children who died in infancy',
and of Edward Enfield, 1818, and Augusta Elizabeth Enfield,
daughter of Best Pearse, 1837; white marble tablet in grey
marble surround. On E. wall (4) of Thomas Quintin, 1806,
white marble sarcophagus signed 'E. GAFFIN, Regent St.
London'. Floor slab: formerly under the altar (Palmer, Inscriptions and Arms from Cambs., 78) and now in the churchyard near
to the door to the organ chamber, of Thomas Thory, 1709, and
Elizabeth his wife, 1712. Painting: the Annunciation, oil on
canvas, Venetian 16th-century, was sold at Christie's in 1963.
Piscina: in nave, in E. end of S. wall, with moulded jambs and
cinque-foiled head; square drain, cut back; 14th- or 15th-century.
Plate: includes a cup, paten, flagon, and two dishes, all London
1722, with inscriptions recording gift by Margaret Trefusis
in 1723; the cup, paten and flagon have in addition shields of
arms. Stoup: in nave, with moulded jambs and trefoiled head,
front of bowl repaired; 14th-century. Weather-vane: finial and
wrought-iron standard on roof of tower; 17th-or 18th-century.
Miscellaneous: 28 loose shields, presumably of wood, hung at
the heads of the side walls of the nave and over the tower
arch; each is painted with a shield of arms and a descriptive
legend. The shields fall into two groups: one, of 15 shields,
mostly squarish in shape, appears from their content to have
been painted for Sir Henry St. George the elder c. 1627;
the other, of 13, for the most part heater-shaped, relates to
the Cottons and appears to have been executed at various
times in the later 17th century. There has been some repainting; in particular two Cotton shields mask alliances of
the Argentines with whom the St. Georges had earlier connections.
a(3) Hatley Park, house with service buildings and
grounds, stands on upland sloping gently N. to Millbridge Brook.
Hatley Park, Hatley St. George
The House, two-storeyed, partly with cellars and
attics, of local red brick, with roofs of Westmorland
and other slate, is the product of at least three building
phases, not counting changes within the last hundred
years. Though predominantly an 18th-century structure
it incorporates a 17th-century nucleus. John Layer in
his History of Cambridgeshire (C.A.S. 8vo. Publs. liii
(1935), 106) remarks 'the ancient seate is decaied and
a pritty gentlemanlike seate now there built'. Attached to
the 1601 maps of Gamlingay, by T. Langdon, at Merton
College Oxford, is a comparatively crudely drawn supplement showing the W. part of Hatley and depicting
'Mr St Georg his house' apparently in the position of
Park Farm (Monument (4)). Layer's words imply
recent rebuilding on a fresh site and this is most likely
to have been done by Sir Henry St. George, Garter
King of Arms, between his father's death in 1635 and
Layer's own demise in January 1641. An engraving by
Johannes Kip (Britannia Illustrata (1707), Plate 58)
purports to show the house as it was after a rebuilding
attributed by the Lysons (Cambridgeshire, 210) to Sir
Robert Cotton (of the Conington Cottons), who came
into the property while still a minor, perhaps as early as
1682 (see Parish Church of St. George, Monument
(2), Bells). After Sir Robert Cotton's death in 1749 the
property passed by a series of marriages to Margaret
Cotton (of the Madingley family); she had already
enlarged the house by 1753 (E. Carter, Cambridgeshire
(1753), 199), adding wings on either side of the house
as left by her predecessor, although the wings as they
now stand may not have been completed until after that
date. During the second half of the century the house
belonged to the Pearse family; a Mr. Pearse was offering
the materials of the house for sale in 1782 (Cambridge
Chronicle, 16 Nov. 1782); it was purchased by Thomas
Quintin but was not demolished, although it may then
have been stripped of its fittings. The Quintins may have
refaced part or all of the N. front.
The house was again enlarged and lavishly refitted in
reproduction Georgian style late in the 19th or early in
the present century. Some genuine 18th-century
chimney-pieces and other embellishments have also been
imported within the last hundred years. Modern
additions at the E. and W. ends have recently been
The N. or principal elevation is in thirteen bays with late
18th- or 19th-century sash windows on both floors: seven
bays are those of the middle block, being Sir Robert Cotton's
house of c. 1700; the remaining six, three and three, are those
of the wings added c. 1750. The uniformity of the brickwork
may be attributable to re-facing of the middle block about the
time that the wings were added. The middle block consists
of a three-bay centre piece and side pieces of two bays each
and has a stone cornice and parapet with stone coping; this
parapet is broken by a central pediment framing a small
round window. The quoins of the centre and side pieces, as well
as those of the wings, are of rusticated stone; the front is
embellished with six stone urns. The central front door is
modern; the Palladian windows in the middle of the ground
floor of the wings are 18th-century but appear to have been
The S. elevation is irregular, owing to the incorporation of
the original 17th-century house. This is reflected by five closely
spaced bays occupying most of the middle block, which are
supplemented by two bays towards its E. end; these and the
uniform red-brick facing of the middle block on this side are of
c. 1700. For the rest, the elevation is symmetrical, with a stonecapped parapet extending its entire length surmounted by six
stone urns. The side pieces, apparently a somewhat later elaboration of the mid 18th-century wings of the N. front, were at
first built with two bays, each deeply recessed, and the third,
at the ends, breaking forward again as turriform projections;
but the effect has been weakened by modern ground-floor
infilling with flat roof and cast-iron balustrade, the last perhaps reused. All the windows on the S. side are late 18th- or
19th-century sashes with stucco surrounds except for three
dormers in the centre block. Two rainwater heads of the late
18th century survive. The glazed and pedimented doors at
either end are modern.
The inside of the house has been much rearranged and is
almost devoid of original features, but some panelled doors
and shutters, also one or two wooden fireplace surrounds in the
attics, are old. Irregularities in the modern plaster ceiling of the
drawing room probably result from the removal of a through
passage bisecting the original house. The growth of the house
may also be reflected in the irregular lay-out of the cellars.
The roof of the middle block, which is hipped and rises to a
central valley, is framed with staggered purlins; its members,
partly of oak and partly of softwood are of variable scantling;
the oak may well be reused timber from the roof of the original
W. of the house predominantly modern Service Buildings
include three or four of those illustrated by Kip, all in red brick
of c. 1700 but much altered. The most considerable of these
fronts to the N. and retains most of its symmetrically disposed
windows with flat arches and a central doorway with rusticated
quoins and head in stuccoed brick. The Grounds include gardens on the N. bearing no relation to those delineated by Kip;
these are diversified by adventitious statuary and urnage in
marble, freestone and composition of the 17th to 19th centuries.
The large and pleasant park seems to have been created about
the middle of the 19th century.
a(4) Park Farm, 80 yds. E. of Bar Lane, L-shaped, two-storeyed, framed, with tiled roof, though considerably
altered and with modern infilling in the angle, is probably of
16th-century origin; it may have been the house of the manor
of the St. George family, the seat of which was transferred to
its present site c. 1635 (see Monument (3)).
The main N. and S. range has been cased in modern brick
and has two added window bays on the E. side and one at
either end. The W. part of the long E. and W. wing, which is
plastered, was originally lower than the rest and open to the
roof, but has been heightened. Over the rest of the house the
roof, largely original though of rough construction, is based
on tie-beam and collar trusses; two plain cambered tie beams
are partly exposed in the E. part of the wing.
The S. ground-floor room of the main range is lined with
17th-century run-through panelling, for the most part in situ,
including a length of frieze with incised fan ornament; from
the arrangement of the panelling a door in the centre of the
N. wall of the room and another opening in the S. wall can be
inferred. This room has a chamfered brick fireplace surround
with segmental head, also 17th-century.
a(5) The George, beer house, two-storeyed, of red brick
with white brick dressings and tiled roof, is designed as a main
range with N.W. cross wing. The main range has a slightly
projecting chimney S.W. to the street with stone panel having
the initials and date 'TSQ 1850' on a shield; either side of the
stack on the ground floor are small tiled oriels rising off moulded
corbels; the gable of the cross wing has an ornamental barge
board and beneath it a third oriel.
a(6) Manor Farm (Class U), two-storeyed, of stuccoed
brick with hipped slated roof, stands on the moated site (Monument (16)) of the manor house of the Castell family, demolished
c. 1685. The house, ostensibly 19th-century, incorporates
earlier work, the bulk perhaps of the 17th century, but
including an 18th-century stair, the balusters of which are
cased; also most of a small 15th- or early 16th-century tie-beam truss comprising a stop-chamfered and cambered tie
beam with the sawn-off tenons of some ceiling joists, two
solid braces and the stop-chamfered swell heads of two
a(7) Houses, a pair, two-storeyed, of white brick with
hipped thatched roof and a shared central chimney; the N.E.
house retains some of its original windows with leaded lights
in Gothic idiom; first half of 19th century.
a(8) Houses, a pair, two-storeyed, of white brick, roof
covered with modern pantiles, now one dwelling; the design
approximates to Class J; first half of 19th century.
a(9) Carter's Farm, L-shaped, two-storeyed, of white
brick with hipped and slated roof; c. 1840. The N.E., front,
elevation has five sash windows and a central front door with
latticed fanlight. The lower rear wing houses offices.
a(10) Long Lane Farm (Class J), two-storeyed, framed and
plastered, with hipped slated roof, is 18th-century. The
traditional design is elaborated to include a narrow staircase
bay at the S. end and an outshut of indefinite extent on the E.;
an early 19th-century addition now occupies the S. end of this
a(11) Brick Kiln (N.G. TL 269521). 'The brick kyll upon ye
Queen's Land' marked on the supplement to T. Langdon's
1601 map of Gamlingay (Merton College, Oxford) can still
be traced by a scatter of briquetage of uncertain date.
a(12) Hatley Wilds (Class J; N.G. TL 296524), of one storey
with attics, partly framed and plastered, partly of brick, with
tiled roof hipped at the S. end; inside some chamfered ceiling
beams are exposed; first half of the 18th century.
a(13) Garden Remains (mostly on O.S.) at Hatley Park
(Monument (3)). The park was mostly arable until the 17th and
18th centuries. Three features shown on some O.S. maps as
'moats' are remnants of a garden lay-out of that period. That
to the S. of the house (N.G. TL 27505081) is an E. and W. wet
ditch 325 ft. long, 15 ft. wide and 2 ft. deep separating the
gardens from the park; a causeway 15 ft. wide, revetted with
18th-century brick, crosses it on the axis of the house. That to
the S.W. of the house, a rectangular pond (N.G. TL 27555094),
has been destroyed. The third, E. of the house, is merely a
curving N.W. and S.W. ditch, 12 ft. wide and 1½ ft. deep,
with a bank 15 ft. wide and 2½ ft. high within it.
Other earthworks in the park do not appear on the tithe
map of 1839 and were presumably made after that date. The
most prominent are a bank along the S. side of the road, 600 ft.
long, 25 ft. to 40 ft. wide and 2 ft. to 4 ft. high, and an irregular mound (N.G. TL 27315140) 90 ft. across and 3 ft. high.
a(14) Moated Site (Class A I(b); N.G. TL 28355020, not on
O.S.), at the S.E. corner of Buff Wood. The moat is trapezoidal, 260 ft. N.W. by 225 ft. N.E. by 294 ft. S.E. by 167 ft.
S.W. The wet ditch is 20 ft. to 30 ft. wide, 3 ft. to 5 ft. deep
and 15 ft. to 18 ft. across the bottom. On three sides are counter-scarp banks 20 ft. to 30 ft. wide and 6 ins. to 3 ft. high. There
is a causeway 25 ft. wide in the S.E. side with cupped and
slightly staggered ends to the ditch on either side. The interior
is irregular, with two slight ponds near the E. angle; the whole
site is thickly overgrown.
a(15) Moated Site (Class AI (a); N.G. TL 285503),immediately N.E. of The Palace on the S.E. side of East Hatley village
street. From the interior of the moat, now a kitchen garden,
pottery of the 13th to 18th centuries has been collected. A trapezoidal area 160 ft. N.W. by 125 ft. N.E. by 164 ft. S.E. by 150
ft. S.W. is surrounded by a wet ditch 20 ft. to 30 ft. wide and
2 ft. to 2½ ft. deep. There is a causeway, perhaps original, 20 ft.
wide, in the centre of the N.W. side, the ditch of which is
doubled near the N. angle.
a(16) Moated Site (Class A1(a); N.G. TL 285504), at Manor
Farm (Monument (6)), on level boulder clay 260 ft. above
O.D., being that of the manor house of the Castell family
demolished c. 1685 by the second Sir George Downing (Lysons,
Cambridgeshire, 201 and 209); the material was later used at
Gamlingay Park (see GAMLINGAY (61)). A rectangular area 200
ft. N.E. to S.W. by 100 ft. is partly enclosed by a wet ditch
32 ft. to 45 ft. wide and 3½ ft. deep. This has been partly filled
but was still complete in 1750 (map in Downing College).
There is a causeway 40 ft. wide across the S.E. side. At the S.
angle is an apparent approach leat, 2½ ft. deep still partly wet.
a(17) Mound (N.G. TL 28715059, not on O.S.), to N.W. of
East Hatley village street, on ground formerly part of the village
green, now pasture; circular, 40 ft. across and 2 ft. high;
approached on the W. by a hollowed track 15 ft. wide and
about 6 ins. deep.
a(18) Village Remains at East Hatley (around N.G. TL
287505, mostly on O.S.). The village, which is situated on a
broad flat-topped ridge of boulder clay 250 ft. to 260 ft. above
O.D., consists of a N.E. to S.W. street with houses on either
side. There is now no thoroughfare either to the S.W. or N.E.,
and access to the village is by the N.W. to S.E. road from Croydon to Hatley St. George at the N.E. end of the village street;
this was constructed in the early 19th century.
It is clear that the plan and road system of the village have
been completely changed, perhaps not long ago. Remains of
former house sites and of wet ditches round their crofts, set
back some distance from the present street, indicate that the
village formerly consisted of a triangular green with its base
towards the N., 50yds. to 70yds. beyond the modern road, and
its apex between the moats at The Palace and Manor Farm
(Monuments (15) and (16)). The green was presumably formed
by the convergence of two roads, one from the N.E., which
can be traced as a disused track, known as Long Lane or Croydon Old Lane, leaving Ermine Street at N.G. TL 31835355,
and one from Longstowe in the N., called Hayley Lane, now
only a footpath. To the S.W. of the green the road led first
S.W. and then S. through the abandoned settlement of Pincote (see TADLOW (9)) to Tadlow. W. of the green are a number of possible house sites. At N.G. TL 28655068, irregular
scarps 9 ins. to 1 ft. high cover an area 350 ft. N. to S. by 150
ft.; banks 30 ft. wide and 1 ft. high separate them from ridge
and furrow to the W. At N.G. TL 28605055, to the N.E. of the
church, is an area 400 ft. E. to W. by 250 ft. bounded on the
S. by a wet ditch, 30ft. wide and 2½ ft. deep, which joins a
stream on the E. A projection N. from this ditch divides the
area into two unequal parts. Recent ploughing here has turned
up the footings of an 18th-century brick wall and of brick
buildings, cobbles and 13th- and 18th-century pottery. S.E.
of the green are other ditched enclosures. That furthest to the
N.E., 230 ft. N.E. to S.W. by 90 ft. with ditches 15 ft. to 20 ft.
wide and 1 ft. to 2 ft. deep, is cut by the modern road. Immediately S.W. of this are remains of five or more similar
enclosures, approximately 100 ft. to 120 ft. square. S.E. of
these, adjoining ridge and furrow, cobbles and pottery of the
11th to 17th centuries occur; more irregular remains to the
S.W. are probably further building sites. Kinks in the hedge
parallel to the S.E. side of the green suggest long crofts behind
the ditched building enclosures, later destroyed and ploughed
or reploughed into the existing fields.
Hatley, Monument 18, Village Remains at East Hatley
(19) Cultivation Remains in the former parish of East
Hatley (not on O.S.). Ridge and furrow, up to 300 yds. long
with ridges 7 yds. to 12 yds, wide and 9 ins. to 1½ high with
headlands of 9 yds. to 12 yds., survives over most of the parish
though some has been ploughed since 1946, notably in the
closes round the village and in the N.E. of the parish. The longest ridges are almost certainly the result of ploughing two or
more former end-on furlongs as one. In the N.E. of the parish
the ridge and furrow fits the rectangular field lay-out; around
Long Lane Farm (Monument (10)) (N.G. TL 294515) and
Carter's or Holbein's Farm (Monument (9)) (N.G. TL 296505)
curving open-field furlongs have been enclosed en bloc; in the
S.W. corner of the parish the slight traces suggest similarity to
the N.E. area; around the village old closes formerly contained
ridge and furrow. These differences are probably due to piecemeal enclosure, some of which had taken place by the early
16th century (I.S. Leadam, R. Hist. Soc. Trans. VIII (1894),
(Ref: map 1750 (Downing College); tithe map 1840
(T.R.C.); air photographs; CPE/UK/2024/3020, 3058–61,
(20) Cultivation Remains in the former parish of Hatley
St. George (not on O.S.). Ridge and furrow survives over much
of the former parish, especially in the park. The remains are
mostly curved with ridges 100 yds. to 270 yds. long, 5 yds. to
13 yds. wide and 1 ft. to 1½ft. high with headlands of 7 yds. to
12 yds. In the N. of the parish around N.G. TL 283521 parts of
three furlongs running N.W. to S.E. and one running N.E. to
S.W. (a complete furlong with 25 ridges), all well preserved,
are now combined in one field. Around N.G. TL 276507 ridge
and furrow running N.E. and S.W. is bounded by a winding
N. to S. hollow-way 40 ft. wide, 1 ft. to 3 ft. deep and 25 ft.
across the bottom, perhaps an old route to Tadlow. To the E.
of this are three small blocks of ridge and furrow running N.
to S., with an access way, 30 ft. wide and 9 ins. deep, running
E. from the main hollow-way for 80 yds. between the two
blocks further N.
Traces on air photographs complement these remains and
much of a former open-field pattern can be seen, with field
boundaries fitting curving furlongs. The parish was probably
enclosed by the 17th century.
(Ref: tithe map 1839(T.R.C.); air photographs: 106G/UK/
1635/1465–8; CPE/UK/2024/3020, 3060–3.)