List of Illustrations

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Pages

7-15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of Illustrations', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire, Volume 2: North-East Cambridgeshire (1972), pp. VII-XV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=129068 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

(The prefixed numerals in brackets refer to the monument numbers in the text)

GENERAL Map of North-East Cambridgeshire showing the parishes describedIn pocket at end of volume
Swaffham Prior (8). Elevation and Plan of houseFig. 1, p. xxx
Map of Prehistoric and Roman sitesFig. 2, p. xxxii
Classification of House typesFig. 3, p. xliv
Diagram of scarfed jointsFig. 4, p. xlviii
Newmarket RacecourseFig. 5, p. liii
Fen Drainage. Natural drainageFig. 6, p. lvi
   "      "    The construction of the lodesFig. 7, p. lvii
   "      "    Medieval and mid 17th-century drainageFig. 8, p. lviii
   "      "    Late 17th-century and 18th-century drainageFig. 9, p. lix
   "      "    Early 19th-century drainageFig. 10, p. lx
   "      "    Mid 19th-century drainageFig. 11, p. lxi
Steam-engine pump houses. PlansFig. 12, p. lxv
PARISHES
1 BOTTISHAM
Village mapFig. 13, p. 2
Aerial view of church and green from N.Pl. 5
(1) Parish church of the Holy Trinity. Plan.Fig. 14, p. 3
Exterior from W.Pl. 18
Exterior of S. aisle; E. endPl. 20
   "      "    W. endPl. 20
Interior of nave looking E.Pl. 21
Moulding of S. doorwayFig. 15, p. 4
Remains of stone screenPl. 36
Benefactor's tablePl. 45
Brass indent (3) of Elias de Beckingham, early 14th-centuryPl. 41
Monuments (4) of Allington children, 1638Pl. 47
   "    (5) of Thomas Pledger, 1599Pl. 47
   "    (6) of Sir Roger Jenyns, 1740Pl. 50
   "    (7) of Soame Jenyns, 1796Pl. 51
Piscina and sedilePl. 38
Screens in aislesPl. 56
Staircase in W. porchFig. 16, p. 6
TablePl. 61
Tablet from former schoolPl. 65
(4) Bottisham Hall. PlanFig. 17, p. 7
Exterior from S.W.Pl. 94
Fireplace in entrance hallPl. 98
StaircasePl. 97
Detail of plaster cornicePl. 99
Light pendantPl. 103
(5) The Grange. ExteriorPl. 95
Lead cisternPl. 103
(7) Bottisham Place. Plan and sectionFig. 18, p. 8
Carved panelsPl. 84
(9) Bottisham House. Exterior from S.Pl. 113
Detail of staircasePl. 96
Details of plaster cornicesPl. 99
(12) Parsonage Farm. Detail of staircasePl. 96
Cast-iron boundary postPl. 103
(15) House. Exterior from W.Pl. 109
(16) House. PlanFig. 19, p. 10
(17) Church Cottages. Exterior from S.W.Pl. 107
(20) House. Main elevation before alterationFig. 20, p. 11; Pl. 83
(29) Park Mill. InteriorPl. 117
(33) House. Exterior from E.Pl. 109
(43) House. PlanFig. 21, p. 11
(47–54, 56–58) Earthworks near Allington Hill and Upper Hare ParkFig. 22, p. 12
(61–67) Earthworks in Bottisham ParkFig. 23, p. 14
2 BURWELL
Village Map; southern sectionFig. 24, p. 16
   "      "    northern sectionFig. 25, p. 17
(1) Parish church of St. Mary. PlanFig. 26, p. 19
Exterior from N.W.Pl. 24
Interior looking N.W.Pl. 31
Window traceryPl. 33
Chancel; exterior from N.Pl. 32
Crypt. Plan and sectionFig. 27, p. 20
Fireplace in cryptPl. 75
Interior looking E.Pl. 30
Tower from S.W.Pl. 19
Tower; N. elevationFig. 28, p. 21
   "    Plan of second stageFig. 29, p. 22
Location diagram of cornice-panelsFig. 30, p. 24
Nave roof looking E.Pl. 25
   "      "    Carved bossesPl. 26
Cornice-panels in chancelPl. 27
Cornice-panels in navePl. 28
Cornice-panels in nave and aislesPl. 29
Brass of John Lawrence de Wardeboys (d. 1542)Pl. 43
   "    , detailPl. 44
ClockPl. 64
Monument (8) of Thomas GerardPl. 48
   "    (9) of Sir William Russell, 1663Pl. 49
   "    (12) of Lee Cotton, 1613Pl. 48
Headstones of the 17th centuryPl. 52
   "      "     "    early 18th centuryPl. 53
Headstones of the early 18th centuryPl. 54
   "      "     "    18th and 19th centuriesPl. 55
Cup of 1567Pl. 62
Flagon of 1739Pl. 63
(5) House. PlanFig. 33, p. 28
W. elevation and restorationFig. 31, p. 26
E. and S. elevation and sectionFig. 32, p. 27
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 73
   "      "    S.E.Pl. 73
Details of upper windowFig. 34, p. 29
Upper roomPl. 74
RoofPl. 74
(8) House. Exterior from E.Pl. 112
(19) House. Fireplace bressummerPl. 87
(22) House. Exterior from S.W.Pl. 113
Interior of pigeon housePl. 115
(25) House. Exterior from S.W.Pl. 112
(31) Ramsey Manor. Exterior from N.E.Pl. 112
Detail of staircasePl. 96
(40) Parsonage Farm. Plan of house and W. barnFig. 35, p. 32
House from S.E.Pl. 108
Sections through W. barnFig. 36, p. 33
N. elevation of W. section of outbuildingsFig. 37, p. 34
Plan of outbuildingsFig. 38, p. 34
Outbuildings from S.W.Pl. 80
   "      "    N.W.Pl. 80
(48, 49) Houses. PlanFig. 39, p. 35
Exteriors from S.W.Pl. 110
(71) Queen's Arms. Detail of carved beam, 1587Fig. 40, p. 37
(86, 87) Houses. PlanFig. 41, p. 38
(86, 87, 89) Exteriors from S.Pl. 106
(90, 91, 92, 93) Exteriors from E.Pl. 104
(99) House. PlanFig. 42, p. 39
(100) Exterior from N.Pl. 105
(102) House. Balusters on landingFig. 43, p. 39
(103) Windmill. MachineryPl. 117
(132) Burwell Castle. Plan of earthworksFig. 44, between pp. 40 and 41
Aerial view from S.E. (Cambridge University Copyright)Pl. 2
N. side of moat (C.A.S. Library)Pl. 3
Spoil heaps on N.Pl. 3
(133) Burwell Lode from S.E.Pl. 7
(138) Fen DrainageFig. 45, p. 44
(139) Steam-engine pump house. Plan and elevationFig. 46, p. 46
Site diagramFig. 120, p. 133
(140) Windpump, now demolished (Photograph: R. Wailes)Pl. 11
(145) Windpump, now in Wicken Sedge Fen (C. A. S. Library)Pl. 11
3 FEN DITTON
Village mapFig. 47, p. 48
(1) Parish church of St. Mary VirginFig. 48, p. 50
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 22
Chancel; exterior from N.Pl. 22
Bell of 1623Pl. 65
Coffin lidPl. 40
FontPl. 39
   "    detailPl. 37
Monument (1) of Willys family; detailPl. 49
   "    (2) of John Bones, 1813Pl. 49
Headstone of the 17th century.Pl. 51
   "      "     "    early 18th centuryPl. 54
   "      "     "    mid 18th centuryPl. 55
Fragment of former reredosPl. 37
Headstop, late 13th-centuryPl. 37
(2) The Hall. E. and S. ElevationsFig. 49, p. 52
PlanFig. 50, p. 53
E. frontPl. 82
S. frontPl. 82
Drawing roomPl. 90
StaircasePl. 88
   "    detailPl. 89
Overmantel in libraryPl. 85
Painted timber-framed partitionPl. 75
Roof trussFig. 51, p. 54
(3) Barn. Plan and sectionFig. 52, p. 55
Interior looking N.Pl. 81
   "      "    S.Pl. 81
Constructional detailFig. 53, p. 56
(4) Old Rectory. PlanFig. 54, p. 57
Exterior from E.Pl. 93
(5) Biggin. PlanFig. 55, p. 58
SectionFig. 56, p. 59
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 72
   "      "     "    Cole's drawing of 1768 (C.U. Library)Pl. 72
Exterior from N.W.Pl. 72
   "      "     "    Relhan's watercolour (C.A.S. Library)Pl. 72
Window on first floorPl. 75
Moated siteFig. 58, p. 60
(6) Poplar Hall Farm. PlanFig. 57, p. 59
Exterior from S.Pl. 108
StaircasePl. 10
(7) House. Exterior from W.Pl. 110
(16) House. Panelled roomPl. 86
OvermantelPl. 85
(22) House. Fireplace and over-panelPl. 91
(23) Home Farm. Carved panelsPl. 86
Panelled roomPl. 90
Balusters on landingFig. 59, p. 62
(31) House. Exterior from N.Pl. 111
(37) Roman settlement. PlanFig. 60, p. 63
(41) Fen DrainageFig. 61, p. 64
4 HORNINGSEA
Village mapFig. 62, p. 65
(1) Parish church of St. PeterFig. 63, p. 66
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 16
Interior looking E.Pl. 16
Chancel; exterior from N.E.Pl. 15
Nave arcade; first bay of S. arcadeFig. 64, p. 67
Coffin lid (1), late 10th- or early 11th-centuryFig. 65, p. 68
   "      "    (4), early 13th-centuryPl. 40
   "      "    (6), 13th-centuryPl. 40
Cup, 1569Pl. 62
Cup and cover paten, 1635Pl. 62
Font and foot-pace, early 13th-centuryPl. 39
Pulpit, c. 1600Pl. 61
(2) Conservators' HousePl. 95
(3) Eye Hall. PlanFig. 66, p. 69
(8) Old Rectory. Exterior from S.Pl. 112
(14) Former school. PlanFig. 67, p. 70
(16) The Square. PlanFig. 68, p. 71
(19) House. PlanFig. 69, p. 71
(20) Plough and Fleece Inn. Exterior from E.Pl. 110
(29, 33) Earthworks near Eye Hall. PlanFig. 70, p. 72
(30, 31) Roman settlements. PlansFig. 58, p. 60
5 LODE
Village mapFig. 71, p. 75
(1) Parish church. Altar frontalPl. 65
(3) Anglesey Abbey. PlanFig. 72, p. 76
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 68
   "      "    S.Pl. 69
Undercroft under N. rangePl. 68
Wall arches. ElevationFig. 73, p. 77
   "      "    MouldingsFig. 74, p. 78
Statues by Cheere, 1720Pl. 118
Lead urn on Roman basePl. 118
Marble vases from Wanstead HousePl. 119
Lead statues from Stowe HousePl. 120
EarthworksFig. 75, p. 79
FishpondsPl. 69
(4, 7, 8) Houses. Exteriors from S.Pl. 105
(22) House, ExteriorPl. 111
(29) LockPl. 117
(32) Bottisham Lode from S.E.Pl. 6
(33) Fen DrainageFig. 76, p. 82
(34) Site of WindpumpFig. 77, p. 83
(35) Site of WindpumpPl. 11
6 REACH
Village mapFig. 78, p. 85
Aerial view of village and Devil's Dyke, from N.Frontispiece
(1) Chapel. Drawing by Cole, 1743Fig. 79, p. 86
(9, 10) Houses on W. side of Fair GreenPl. 104
(30) Roman villa. PlanFig. 80, p. 89
(31) Hythe at end of Reach LodePl. 10
7 STOW CUM QUY
Village mapFig. 81, p. 91
(1) Parish church of St. MaryFig. 82, p. 92
Nave arcade; first bay of S. arcadeFig. 83, p. 93
Benefactor's table, late 17th-centuryPl. 49
Brass (1) of John Ansty, mid 15th-centuryPl. 42
   "    (3) of Edward Stern, 1641Pl. 45
Font, 15th-centuryPl. 39
Screen, 15th-centuryPl. 57
(3) Quy Hall. Plan and roof trussFig. 84, p. 94
Exterior from N.Pl. 100
   "      "     "    Watercolour by Relhan (C. A. S. Library)Pl. 100
Exterior from S.Pl. 101
   "      "     "    Watercolour by Relhan (C.A.S. Library)Pl. 101
Ceiling decoration, mid 19th-centuryPl. 102
(8) Park Farm. StaircasePl. 89
8 SWAFFHAM BULBECK
Village mapFig. 85, p. 97
(1) Parish church of St. MaryFig. 86, p. 98
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 23
Nave arcade; first bay of N. arcadeFig. 87, p. 99
Nave roofPl. 23
Chest, late 15th- or early 16th-centuryPl. 60
   "    detail of lidPl. 60
Sedilia and tomb recessPl. 38
Headstones, early 18th-centuryPl. 52
   "    mid 18th-centuryPl. 53
   "      "    "Pl. 53
Flagon, 1698Pl. 63
Bench ends, and detailsPl. 58
   "      "    detailsPl. 59
(2) Benedictine Priory. PlanFig. 88, p. 100
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 70
   "    W. wallPl. 70
Undercroft looking N.W.Pl. 71
   "      "    S.E.Pl. 71
EarthworksFig. 89, p. 101
(3) Lordship House. Plan and elevationFig. 90, p. 102
(4) Burgh Hall. Plan, elevation and sectionFig. 91, p. 103
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 76
Constructional detailsFig. 92, p. 104
Carved wooden pilaster capitalPl. 79
Barn; sectionFig. 93, p. 104
(7) Linton House. PlanFig. 94, p. 105
Exterior from W.Pl. 77
(8) House. PlanFig. 95, p. 106
Exterior from S.W.Pl. 77
Inserted ceiling, early 16th-centuryPl. 79
(10) Vicarage. PlanFig. 96, p. 106
Exterior from S.E.Pl. 94
(11) House. PlanFig. 97, p. 107
Beam detailPl. 79
(14) Mitchell Hall Exterior from S.Pl. 109
Barn; exterior from S.Pl. 114
(15) Bolbeck Cottage. ExteriorPl. 77
Shaped bracketPl. 79
Clunch overmantel, 1587Pl. 87
(18) Stables at Upper Hare Park. PlanFig. 98, p. 107
(19) Barn at Four Mile Stable Farm. SectionFig. 99, p. 108
(22) House. PlansFig. 100, p. 108
(25) House. Plan and projectionFig. 101, p. 109
(30) House. Exterior from E.Pl. 110
Commercial End. Aerial view from S. (Cambridge University Copyright)Pl. 4
   "      "    Street from S.W.Pl. 106
   "      "    "   "    N.W.Pl. 107
(39) Merchant's House. PlanFig. 102, p. 110
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 83
(52) Pair of dwellings. Plan and elevationFig. 103, p. 111
(65–75, 80) Earthworks near Upper Hare ParkFig. 22, p. 12
(82) Swaffham Bulbeck Lode, looking S.E.Pl. 6
(83) Fen DrainageFig. 104, p. 114
9 SWAFFHAM PRIOR
Village mapFig. 105, p. 115
Aerial view from S.E.Pl. 5
(1) Parish church of St. Mary. PlanFig. 106, p. 117
Exterior from N.W.Pl. 12
   "    with St. Cyriac's churchPl. 35
   "      "    "   "     "    Engraving of 1801Pl. 35
Interior looking W.Pl. 13
Interior of tower looking S.E.Pl. 14
   "      "     "    first stagePl. 15
Brass (1) of William de Rech, 1521, and wifePl. 44
   "    (5) of two early 16th-century figuresPl. 44
   "    (4) of Robert Chambers 1638Pl. 45
Cross shaft, probably 12th-centuryFig. 107, p. 118
Floor slab (2) of Martin Hill, 1712. DetailPl. 65
Headstones, early 18th-centuryPl. 53
   "      "    "Pl. 54
(2) Church of St. Cyriac and St. Julitta. PlanFig. 108, p. 119
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 66
   "    from W.Pl. 34
Interior looking S.E.Pl. 67
ClockPl. 64
(4) Swaffham Prior House. PlanFig. 109, p. 120
Exterior from E.Pl. 92
Stair balustrade, 17th-centuryFig. 110, p. 121
Outbuildings. PlanFig. 111, p. 121
(5) Baldwin Manor. Plan and S. elevationFig. 112, p. 122
Exterior from S.Pl. 76
Carved bracketPl. 78
Carved door-headPl. 78
Wooden window with traceryPl. 78
Bressummer to fireplacePl. 87
(6) Old Vicarage. E. frontPl. 93
StaircasePl. 96
(8) House. Plan, as existingFig. 113, p. 123
Plan and elevation, restoredFig. 1, p. xxx
(12) Priory Cottage. PlanFig. 114, p. 124
Exterior from E.Pl. 108
(13) House. Exterior from S.E.Pl. 108
(14) Terrace. Plan and elevationFig. 115, p. 125
(17) Goodwin Manor Farm. Exterior from E.Pl. 109
(21) The Hall. PlanFig. 116, p. 125
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 92
Moulding ceiling beamsPl. 79
OutbuildingPl. 115
(24) Ivy Farm; pigeon housePl. 115
(30) The Cage. Plan and elevationFig. 117, p. 127
(32) Windmill. ExteriorPl. 116
(35) Barn at Vicarage FarmPl. 114
(48) House. ExteriorPl. 111
(52)   "    "Pl. 111
(74) Reach Lode at UpwarePl. 7
(75) Fen DrainageFig. 118, p. 130
(76) Site of windpumpFig. 119, p. 131
(77, 78) Steam-engine pump housesFig. 12, p. lxv
(77–79) Steam-engine pumpsFig. 120, p. 133
The Washes of River Cam.Pl. 10
(78) Former steam-engine pump house (C.A.S. Library)Pl. 9
(79) Engine drain near sourcePl. 8
   "      "    in Lode parishPl. 8
   "      "    at UpwarePl. 9
10 TEVERSHAM
Village mapFig. 121, p. 135
(1) Parish church of All SaintsFig. 122, p. 136
Exterior from N.E.Pl. 17
Interior looking N.E.Pl. 17
Capitals of nave arcadesPl. 36
Nave arcade; third bay of S. arcadeFig. 123, p. 137
Monument (2) of Edward Styward (d. 1596) and wife Effigies and details of heraldryPl. 46
Cup, 1638, and cover paten, early 18th-centuryPl. 62
Piscina and SediliaPl. 38
Pulpit, early 17th-centuryPl. 61
ScreenPl. 57
(2) Baptist chapel. Cup, 1720Pl. 63
(3) Rectory, 1819. Exterior from S.W.Pl. 113
Entrance hallPl. 98
(6) Teversham Hall, 1837. Exterior from S.W.Pl. 113
APPENDIX
The Devil's Dyke. Plan and longitudinal profileFig. 124, p. 140
Profiles at various intervalsFig. 125, p. 143
Aerial view looking S.E., at Reach villageFrontispiece
View looking N.W. across Newmarket HeathPl. 1
View looking S.E. towards Gallows HillPl. 1
Fleam Dyke, northern section. PlanFig. 126, p. 145
Tail-piece
Lode(3), Anglesey Abbey. Spandrel decorationp. 84