(9 miles W.S.W. of Cirencester)
Earthworks extending over 10 acres in Hazel Wood,
about ST 864987, were called 'Hazlewood Copse Camp'
by Witts (1883, 25, No. 49), following an illustrated
account by Playne (PCNFC, V (1870), 284–5). The
earthworks survive, much disturbed; they are slight,
make no coherent plan and are of unknown date.
Air photographs show large enclosures, possibly
Iron Age, 530 yds. S.S.E. of Star Farm, at ST 891964. (fn. 1)
Casual Roman finds reported from imprecise locations are in private hands. For an altar possibly found
in Hazel Wood, see King's Stanley.
(1) Romano-British Settlement (ST 86909835), immediately S. of the old line of Shipton's Grave Lane, in
a small area of arable on the ridge top above 550 ft.
O.D., was indicated by a score of sherds, including
samian, small fragments of brick or tile, some imported
sandstone and a concentration of fire-reddened limestone. The sherds are in Gloucester City Museum.
Avening. (1), (2) Romano-British Settlements.
(2) Romano-British Settlement (ST 869986), near
Longmans Barn Farm, 270 yds. N. of (1), (see foregoing map), occupies a terrace about 60 ft. wide, with
traces of platforms, banks and depressions over at
least ½ acre. The present spring-line is around the 400-ft.
contour, more than 200 yds. to the north.
Footings, 3 ft. wide, of a building 14 ft. wide internally and at least 42 ft. long, possibly of Roman date,
lie on the terrace some 70 yds. W. of the field wall at
ST 86949860; the N. end has collapsed over the edge of
the steep scarp. At the foot of the scarp is a partly
buried block of dressed limestone, 2 ft. by 1½ ft., with
a groove and a square socket cut into one face.
Above the terrace, on the S., scoops have been dug
into the 30-ft. high scarp for a length of more than 100
yds. Most of them are small and irregular, and some
have sloping bottoms.
Finds, now mostly in Stroud Museum, include
twenty-four 3rd and 4th-century coins, samian and
other pottery, the former with potters' stamps, and
imported stone; most of these have been found over
a number of years in the crumbling steep scarp on
each side of the modern field wall below the terrace
(ST 86969860). Occupation debris and blackened earth
were exposed when post-holes were dug for the
erection of a gate in the wall on the terrace.
TBGAS, 87 (1968), 203, No. 3.