(6 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
Romano-British pottery was reported (fn. 1) during ploughing in 1946 close to platforms, themselves unploughed
and undated, at SP 12050672, 200 yds. N.W. of a Roman
Monuments in Bibury.
(1) Ablington Camp (SP 105074), univallate hill-fort of
Iron Age type, unexcavated, encloses 8 acres at 400 ft.
above O.D. on the edge of the plateau above the
R. Coln. Most of the area has been ploughed. On the
E. side, linear quarrying of unknown date lies inside the
partly preserved bank; there is no other visible ditch at
Bibury. (1) Ablington Camp.
The N. side is marked only by the natural scarp,
dropping steeply to the river. On W. and S. the bank
is about 27 ft. wide and not more than 1 ft. high, being
sliced by the modern road at S.W.; on the E. it is up to
5 ft. high, but N. and S. of the surviving bank there
are only short stretches of low scarp. Signs of a 'wall'
were noted after ploughing in 1881 (Witts (1883), 2).
The entrance was apparently on the S.E. where there now
is a gap 100 ft. wide. There is also a narrow gap in the
N.E., between the bank and the natural scarp. On the
N.W. the bank stops short of a broad gully at the upper
end of a hollow-way leading to the river.
Witts (1883), No. 2, 'Ablington Camp'. Bryant's Map of
Gloucestershire (1824), 'Rawbarrow Camp'.
(2) Roman Villa (SP 122065), near Bibury Mill, is
contained within a loop of the R. Coln and is sheltered,
particularly from the E., by ground rising steeply from
the river; it was first recorded c. 1670. The site, disturbed
by a variety of diggings, is marked by earthworks which
suggest the possibility of a range of buildings extending
S. from 'b' for 300 ft., and of another range extending
W. from 'a'. Small platforms, probably for individual
buildings, are inset into the gentle N.W. slope between
these two long platforms. A further small platform of
uncertain date lies across the N.E. end of a terrace-way,
otherwise rounded by ploughing, which approaches the
earthworks from the S.W. This terrace-way is 12 ft.
wide where it is undisturbed (to the S.W. of the area
shown on the plan). Rectangular areas defined by very
low scarps, E. of the main earthworks, are immediately
above an area of low ground intersected by drainage
channels. A ditch about 3 ft. deep and presumably of
recent date has been cut through the earthworks W.
of 'b'. Plan, p. 15.
Accounts refer generally to mosaic pavements, baths,
pottery and coins. More recent casual discoveries include
finds of glass and substantial masonry footings.
R.A.F., VAP 106G/UK 1721: 4273–4.
J. Pointer, An Account of a Roman Pavement lately found at
Stunsfield in Oxfordshire . . . (1713), 37. Camden, Britannia (ed.
Gough, 1789), I, 282. TBGAS, II (1877–8), 24 (coins exhibited,
no details). Witts (1883), 55, No. 1, 'Bibury Villa'.
(3) 'Celtic' Field Traces (SP 097089–SP 099095), on
Ablington Downs, are suggested by air photographs
over some 30 acres of ground falling gently E. between
450 ft. and 400 ft. above O.D. Scarps visible in the area
have been ploughed almost flat.
R.A.F., VAP 106G/UK 1721: 6276–7.