Bourton-on-the-Hill

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

17

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Bourton-on-the-Hill', Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester: Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds (1976), pp. 17. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=129247 Date accessed: 23 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL

(21 miles N.N.E. of Cirencester)

(1) Roman Road, Ryknild Street (SP 139315-SP 132335), is traceable on air photographs in a continuous straight line for almost 1¼ miles in the W. of the parish; it extends N.N.W. across Bourton Downs and continues on the E. shoulder of Snowshill Hill (Snowshill (1)). On the ground, faint traces of the road are visible along most of its length, the agger being spread and very low, but up to 1 ft. high on Bourton Downs (SP 13643218) and under walls on the parish boundary (SP 13363301). Suggestions of former side ditches are noted.

R.A.F., VAP F21 and F22, 543/RAF/1913: 0033–4.



<--Previous:
Blockley