(20 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
(1) Roman Building (SP 19922792), on a N.E.-facing
slope, lies above the 500-ft. contour and 200 yds. E. of
the present line of the Foss Way (2). It was partly
excavated by D. Talbot Rice in 1923, when a well-preserved wall was traced for 30 ft. The building was of
at least two periods, as in one place a tiled floor overlay
fallen wall plaster. A surface scatter of pottery in arable
is of 2nd to 4th-century date. Surface finds are in
Gloucester City Museum.
JRS, XII (1922), 262.
(2) Roman Road, The Foss Way (SP 195276–SP 197282),
follows a line N.N.E. from Stow-on-the-Wold and in
places forms part of the W. boundary of the parish.
The Roman road fabric, which consisted of pitched
stones of local Oolite, was exposed in 1931 and 1936
immediately E. of the present road.
TBGAS, LIV (1932), 385–8; 57 (1935), 280–1.