(11 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
There have been suggestions that a complex of Iron Age
defences extended S. from Cooper's Hill to High
Brotheridge, Cranham, (fn. 1) covering a total of some 200
acres; these earthworks are described under Cranham,
p. 41. Quarrying has destroyed any sign of fortifications
on the N. tip of the hill (SO 892147), where a 'camp' is
shown on O.S. 6 inch, but traditional maypole ceremonies (fn. 2) in the area could be taken to suggest the
existence of an ancient site, as might the former name
'Castle Hill'. (fn. 3) The only clearly recognisable defensive
or boundary earthwork, probably of Iron-Age origin,
is the cross-ridge dyke (1) 500 yds. S. of this point.
(1) Cross-Ridge Dyke (SO 89191416—SO 89341413), in
Brockworth Wood on Cooper's Hill at about 900 ft.
above O.D. (map, p. 41, s.v. Cranham), spans the
narrow Great Oolite ridge which rises gently N. from
this point; it ends on the shoulders of the ridge at E.
The bank is 18 ft. wide and 2 ft. high; the ditch on
the S. side is a further 2 ft. deep and from 12 ft. to 20 ft.
wide. The dyke runs straight for a total length of 655 ft.;
475 ft. in the E. are on Oolite and 180 ft. in the W. are
on Fuller's Earth.
Brockworth. (1) Cross-ridge Dyke.
(2) Romano-British Building (SO 891168) is indicated
by finds in allotments about 200 yds. S. of the church,
close to Horsbere Brook, 150 ft. above O.D. The finds
include 2nd to 4th-century pottery, and tegulae, in
association with a hard gravel floor (TBGAS, 87 (1968),
|| Bagendon (1961), 157 and fig. 27. Witts (1883), 15–16,
|| Glos. Notes and Queries, V (1891–3), 506–9.
|| PNG, IV, 191.