All Saints' Place (Fig. 70)
This open space to the N. of All Saints' church
formed part of a large medieval market place.
(70) House, No. 1 (Fig. 64), two storeys and attics,
has ashlar and stone rubble walls. It was rebuilt in 1791
after damage by fire. In 1791 the lease was renewed by
Browne's Hospital, the owners, to John Boyfield, carpenter, with a covenant to rebuild according to a plan
and elevation prepared by the Warden. The front
range of three bays has sash windows rising from platbands. The plan now approximates to class 12, the side
passage giving access to an entrance hall as well as to
workshops at the rear. The kitchen has a late 18th-century fireplace with keystone.
(71) House, No. 2 (Plate 148), two storeys and attics,
with ashlar walls, incorporates an earlier, perhaps 17th-century, timber-framed building which was encased in
ashlar in the first half of the 18th century; a two-storey
kitchen wing was also added at the rear. The three upper
windows of the main front, above a platband, are symmetrical and have keystones and moulded architraves. A
wooden cornice with brackets carries the gutter (Plate
122). The unevenly spaced ground-floor openings of
varying widths are later alterations; each has keystones
and channelled lintels imitating voussoirs. Inside, the
main room has fielded panelling in two heights; early
in the 19th century, the interior was refurbished and the
lower flights of the stairs were reset probably from the
N.E. corner where the upper flights survive in a hipped
turret. The stairs have turned balusters. Against the side
wall an arcade of three elliptical arches was built in the
early 19th century. In 1750 John Dixon, carpenter,
acquired the property through his wife, Alice Newcomb, and the present building may date in part between then and his death in 1782 (Ex. MS, 90/27).
Fig. 64 (70) 1 All Saints' Place.
Fig. 65 (72) 3 All Saints' Place
Fig. 66 (72) 3 All Saints' Place.
(72) House, No. 3 (Figs. 65, 66; Plate 96), two storeys
and attics, with ashlar front wall, rubble gable, is early
18th-century. The plan is L-shaped and in the entrant
angle a small timber-framed block was added in the late
18th century to give a class 11b plan; the rear arm was
lengthened in the 19th century. The main front on the S.
is in five unequal bays with approaching steps, moulded
platband and a later central doorway having a moulded
architrave with spaced rustication, double keystone in
relief, and a pediment; the uniform upper and lower
windows have moulded architraves (Figs. 10, 12, 13, 65).
Above is a central shield-shaped plaque. The wooden
cornice has square brackets (Plate 122). Inside, the
entrance hall and two front rooms have fielded panelling
in two heights with chair-rail and cornice of the 18th
century. The kitchen in the rear wing has a wide
elliptical-headed fireplace and flanking round-headed
openings (Fig. 67). Doorcases with angle-roundels, and
the staircase, are early 19th-century. The roof has
staggered purlins; principal rafters have curved feet.
Fig. 67 (72) 3 All Saints' Place
End wall of kitchen.
(73) Bourn Court, Nos. 4, 5, two storeys, attics and
cellar, hipped mansard roof, rubble walls, comprises two
separate dwellings which were built in c.1800 by the
Bourn Charity. By 1813 there were four houses, two
barns and two stables on the site (Blore, 235–50). The
two surviving houses each had a front of three bays
with central doorway but both have been recently
altered. Wooden-framed windows have fixed glazing
with small metal casements. No. 4 incorporates a large
stack from an earlier building.
Nos. 14–15, see mon. (432).
(74) House, No. 16 (Plate 146), three storeys, cellars
and attics, ashlar walls, wooden cornice, mansard roof
with three dormers, class 10, is probably the house
described in 1793 as newly built, James Hames being
tenant (Mercury, 15 July). The cellars comprise three
parallel vaults. The front elevation is dominated by
three-storey twin bow windows in timber-framing and
of slight projection; the central doorway has a fanlight
with gothic tracery in a round head. Contemporary
interior features include fluted pilasters and a plaster
acanthus frieze. Carved fragments reset in the yard
behind are probably from the workshop of John Hames.