All Saints' Street (Fig. 70)
This street, a continuation of St. Peter's Street,
crosses at its E. end a possible market-place, partly
infilled, although any such infilling was complete
by the 13th century (Peck, IX. 34). At its W. end is
St. Peter's Callis, an almshouse which is of ancient
origin, and which possibly dates from before 1466
(Hall Book I, 7). Two inns, Millstone and Salutation
(75, 80), doubtless arose because of proximity to
Red Lion Square. In 1826 the first Roman Catholic
church in the town was built on the site now
occupied by No. 19.
(75) The Millstone Inn, No. 1, of two storeys, has
coursed rubble walls. The street front, of the 17th
century, has a wide rectangular two-storey bay window
with hollow-chamfered mullions; the proportions of
the building, which approximates to class 1 or 2, suggest
an earlier origin. A carriage entry on the W. has been
blocked to form additional accommodation. A wide
projecting chimney stack is built in the back wall. A
rear wing on the S. may have been timber-framed,
perhaps 17th-century, but the walls are now of stone.
(76) House, No. 3, three storeys, coursed rubble with
flush dressings, class 10, now has a shop on the ground
floor. It was described as newly built in a lease of 1812
and was presumably constructed after a previous lease
of 1805 (Browne's Hospital, leases).
(77) Terrace, Nos. 4–8, two storeys and attics, red
brick front wall, remainder coursed rubble, with mansard roof, class 14a, was built between 1792–8 (Browne's
Hospital, leases). Openings in the rear wall have brick
dressings. Modern shops occupy most of the ground
(78) Former Wheatsheaf Inn, No. 13 (Plate 73),
now class 12, two storeys, consists of an early 17th-century timber-framed rear wing of one-room plan,
having a jetty on one side and a slightly later wooden
mullion-and-transom window, and a late 17th-century
front range. The latter has ashlar walls, moulded string-course, and a two-storey bay window with flat roof
and ovolo-moulded mullions; the quoins have raised
margins. Between the front room and the rear wing is a
staircase which replaces a former winding stair, the scar
of which remains.
(79) House, Nos. 14–15, two storeys and attics, slate
roof, is 17th-century but was substantially renovated in
the 19th century; the original walling is in squared
ashlar, the remainder coursed rubble. The original
street front comprised two bay windows with canted
sides, ovolo-moulded mullions and parapeted gables,
but the E. bay has been removed, the gable being reset
over the main wall (drawing by Twopeny, 1827; OS
map). The front range, of class 6, originally consisted of
two rooms. The central entrance has depressed four-centred head and ovolo-moulded jambs, and internally
there is a similar doorway but with sunk spandrels.
At the rear is an 18th-century wing with a diamondpatterned panel in the gable. To the E. is a reset arch
from the former Corn Market (see Introduction to
(80) Houses, Nos. 16–17, two storeys, attics in mansard roof, rubble walls, continuous sills, large flush
quoins and dressings, were rebuilt in the late 18th-century by Alderman Robert Hunt as the Salutation
Inn (Blore, 253). No. 17, marginally earlier than No. 16,
of class 9, has been gutted for a shop but the symmetrical
front of No. 16 remains.
(81) Albion Tavern, No. 20, three storeys, ashlar
walls and Welsh slate roof, class 14b, is early 19th-century. The sash windows and round-headed doorway
have flush dressings. The deeply overhanging eaves have
plain widely-spaced brackets.
(82) House, No. 21 (Fig. 68), now with two storeys
and attics and stone walls, originated as a class 1a timber-framed medieval building of three bays, the two W.
bays comprising the hall; both the hall and the single
bay, on the E., were originally open to the roof, and the
upper section of the partition between them survives in
the roof. In the E. wall is a fireplace with chamfered
jambs, and brackets supporting a vestigial hood; it is in a
stone wall and is presumably secondary. The roof has
tie beams, collars, clasped purlins, curved wind-braces
and principals diminishing above the collars. These
members and the faces of the W. wall and the partition
are smoke-blackened. The house now has a central stack
of unknown but possibly early 19th-century date.
Several mullion windows are modern reproductions.
Fig. 68 (82) 21 All Saints' Street
Plan at upper level omitting later additions.
(83) House, No. 22, two storeys, attics, coursed
rubble walls with 18th-century wooden eaves course, is
16th or 17th-century. All that remain of this date are
some outside walls, a central stack, a heavy axial beam
with substantial joists, and a roof with clasped purlins
but no ridge-piece. On the street front is a three-storey
timber-framed bow window, probably of the early 19th
century. Internal partitions are modern. To the side is an
early 19th-century two-storey wing of rubble.