Bath Row (Fig. 138)
Running between the castle and the tail-race of
King's Mill, this road takes its name from public
baths which were first built here in 1722 (Burton,
19). There were a few cottages in the 18th century,
but it only became a residential street in the early
19th century. The Baptists built a chapel here in
(106) House, No. 7, two storeys, coursed rubble
walls, has class 10 plan with roof continued at rear over
service rooms and stair. Between the upper sash windows is a circular date-panel inscribed 'W.P. 1826'.
(107) Houses, Nos. 8–10, now two dwellings, two
storeys, coursed rubble walls, were built on a site
which was bought in 1817 by Robert Nicholls and
James Althorp, drapers; the house had been built by
1824 when their joint property was divided between
them (Deeds). No. 8 has a class 10 plan of three bays
with a contemporary wooden latticework porch; Nos.
9–10 originally had class 15 plans.
(108) Houses, Nos. 11–12, two storeys, coursed
rubble walls with dressed window surrounds, were
built by James Richardson after purchase of the land in
1833 (Deeds); they were completed before 1839
(Dewhirst and Nichols' map). The reflecting pair, each
class 14b, has adjacent entrances.
(109) Doorway, E. of former Baptist chapel, reset in
wall of a garden on the Castle site, of 'Barnack' limestone, with two-centred head, single chamfered jambs,
moulded hood, is 13th or early 14th-century. The doorway is shown on Knipe's map of 1833.
Fig. 84 (110) Bath House, Bath Row.
(110) Bath House, No. 16 (Fig. 84; Plate 151), two
storeys, has walls of pindle with ashlar quoins and
finely dressed surrounds to openings. It was built in
1823, the date inscribed internally on the S. wall. The
openings are in the First Pointed Gothic style. It was
extended at the rear in the late 19th century probably
over a former yard. On the front elevation a parapet
with obelisk finials and openwork cresting masks the
valley between two parallel roofs, producing a truncated outline. Inside, the bathroom has a high barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling and possibly had a plunge bath,
now filled in; to the N. was a ground-floor room perhaps used for changing. E. of the central passage was
accommodation for the attendant; the first-floor rooms
have barrel-vaulted plaster ceilings.
(111) House, No. 24, two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, mansard roof, is an early 19th-century
single-room dwelling (class 15). It is of some topographical interest as being a survivor of the many small
houses that formerly cluttered the riverside along Bath