The Estate (Fig. 85) of about ten acres is bounded
by Wharf Road, St. Leonard's Street, Cherryholt
Road, the R. Welland, and partly by Gas Street. It
occupies the site of the house of Black Friars which
was founded in Stamford before 1241 (Knowles and
Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses, 187). The
friary buildings stood above the flood plain on the
N. side of the site but no structure or earthwork
associated with them survive. Masonry and mullions
were found S. of Adelaide Street in 1845 (Burton,
40); skeletons were discovered N. of the street in
1840 (Burton, 40) and in 1887 (Mercury, 14 Oct.). A
stone coffin was unearthed in 1840 (Mercury, 18
Dec.), and another in 1909. Building operations in
1974 revealed traces, probably of a cloister, S. of
Adelaide Street and immediately E. of Brownlow
Street. The church would therefore have lain under
the W. end of Adelaide Street (C. Mahany, Med.
Arch. vol. XIX (1976)). After the Dissolution in 1538
the land passed eventually to Sir Edward Heron
who built a house on the site of the friary between
1574 and 1611. In 1654 it was bought by Richard
Cust (E. Cust, Records of the Cust family, 268). The
house was demolished in 1775 (Mercury, 2 Mar.)
and the ground laid out as separate gardens. In 1840
the 1st Earl Brownlow divided the land into streets
and building plots which were sold at three auctions
(Mercury, 12 June and 6 Nov. 1840, 6 Dec. 1844).
The plots were laid out by Browning and varied in
size, the larger on the S. being for freestanding
houses. Covenants required the houses to be at least
of two storeys, and noisome or dangerous trades
were forbidden (Belton Estate Office, box 21,
bundle 273). A wharf was planned between the S.
ends of Brownlow and Wellington Streets. In the
first auction small plots N. of Adelaide Street were
bought mainly by speculators, and in the second the
area around Belton Street was sold. The remainder,
sold in 1844, was occupied almost entirely by
separate gardens which had become increasingly
sought after by townsfolk whose own gardens had
been lost to commercial and domestic building. A
number of these gardens survive as open spaces.
Fig. 85 Map showing monuments in Blackfriars Estate and Gas Street.
The principal buildings are listed below.
(114) Terrace, Nos. 1–8, two storeys, coursed
rubble walls with ashlar dressings, and slated roofs,
comprise dwellings of class 13b plan. The doors have
lattice fanlights. The land was sold in 1840 to Moses
Peal for £245 (Mercury, 8 Feb. 1867; Belton MSS.)
Nos. 4–8 were built first and Nos. 1–3 soon after.
(115) House, No. 14, two storeys, red brick with
stone quoins, class 10 plan, has panel inscribed 'J.B.
1843' for John Burton (Mercury, 7 Feb. 1868).
(116) Terrace, Nos. 16–19, two storeys and cellars,
coursed rubble walls with freestone dressings, has
class 14b plans. The doorways are round-headed. The
plots were bought in 1840 by James Richardson,
builder and house agent, who advertised a house for
letting, probably in this terrace, in 1841 (Belton MSS.;
Mercury, 10 April).
(117) Terrace, Nos. 4–9, two storeys, coursed rubble
with freestone dressings, the door and window lintels
being continuous, consists of two blocks at different
levels, with dwellings each of class 14a plan. It was
built between 1844–6 by James Richardson (Mercury,
19 July 1844, 3 July 1846). Plan of No. 8, Fig. 7.
(118) Terrace, Nos. 12–15, two storeys, coursed
rubble, ashlar front wall with platband, sash windows,
slate roof, was built soon after the sale of land in 1840
(Mercury, 6 Nov.). Before recent amalgamations, the
terrace comprised eight dwellings each with class 14a
(119) Everard House, No. 1, two storeys and cellar,
coursed rubble walls with freestone dressings, class 10
plan, stands on a corner site with a large triple-sash
window in the end wall facing Adelaide Street. It was
built soon after 1840 by Moses Peal (Belton MSS;
Mercury, 8 Feb. 1867).
(120) Terrace of seven dwellings, two storeys and
attics at front becoming three storeys at rear, ashlar
front wall, rest in squared rubble, class 14 plans, was
built on plots sold in 1840 (Mercury, 6 Nov.). In 1846
tenants of Thomas Milner who owned 13 houses in the
area threatened to quit because of the smell from M.
Laségue's guano factory (Mercury, 9 Oct.).
St. Leonard's Street
(121) Terrace, Nos. 29–31, two storeys and cellars,
have coursed rubble walls with freestone dressings. No.
29, of class 10 plan, was built after the others which have
class 14b plans. The houses are on land bought in 1840
by Charles Lowe and John Horden, tradesmen (Belton
(122) Houses, Nos. 32–33, a pair, three storeys and
cellars, coursed rubble with ashlar front wall, class 14b
plans, were built in c. 1840.
(123) Houses, Nos. 34–38, two storeys and cellars at
front, three storeys at rear, street elevation of coursed
rubble with freestone dressings, gable and some rear
walls of brick, class 14b plans, were built in three groups
in c. 1840.