Broad Street (Fig. 86)
As its name implies Broad Street is a wide street;
it lies N. of the Danish burh (Plate 98). The W.
end is now almost closed by encroachments, and at
the E. end it terminates in Star Lane, which was
formerly very narrow. Markets have been held in
this early extramural development from an early
date. The Beastmarket is mentioned in 1595 (NRO,
Fitzwilliam Misc. 433) and this is the name usually
applied to the W. end of the Street (e.g. Town Hall
parcel 208) although a new beastmarket is recorded
at the E. end in 1668 (Hall Book 2 fo. 44V). The
cattle market was held in Broad Street until 1887
when it was moved to the present site near the railway station (Town Hall, minute book F).
The E. end of the street was known as the Haymarket from at least the 18th century. In 1595 the
slope S. of Browne's Hospital was called the
Fridaymarket and this was presumably the same
market which by the 18th century was called the
Cornmarket. In 1839 the sloping land was levelled
and a new market, designed in the Tudor style by
the Rev. Henry de Foe Baker of Greetham, was
built against a retaining wall (Mercury, 17 Jan. 1862);
it consisted of an open arcade of six bays (Plate 66).
In 1859 it was replaced by a new building designed
by Edward Browning on the opposite side of the
street. The roof of the old building was removed on
Browning's advice in the same year. It was dismantled in 1862 and parts were rebuilt elsewhere
in the town. One bay of the arcade of Baker's
building was re-erected by R. Tinkler in 1862
(Mercury, 14 Mar.) as the gate of the Bluecoat
School, All Saints' Street; another bay stood between Nos. 28 and 29 St. Paul's Street but is now in
pieces in the grounds of Brazenose House (383); a
third serves as a gateway to the Congregational
Church (36) and a fourth is at No. 41 High Street
St. Martins (224) (Burton's Guide to Stamford (1896),
Although the site of Browne's Hospital is said to
have been undesirable before 1475 (Antiquaries
Journal XLVI (1966), II, 284) the reset masonry at
No. 3 Broad Street (128) indicates that not all
houses were of low social status. In the 18th and
19th centuries the street retained a high level of
respectability, and the markets doubtless encouraged
the presence of professional men such as bankers
(130 and 148) and newspaper proprietors (139).
Fig. 86 Map showing monuments in Broad Street and Crown Street.
(126) House, No. 1 (Plate 118), three storeys and
cellar, has ashlar front wall, rusticated quoins, and
rubble side walls. It was built in the early 18th century
to a class 11 plan. Early in the 19th century the main
front was refaced and heightened, the original roof-line
being visible on the gables. The new front has twostorey canted timber-framed bay windows with Gothic
glazing bars; slightly later, a central porch with Tuscan
columns was added. At attic level in the E. gable is a
single-light ovolo-moulded window. A shallow forecourt, with semicircular steps and stone corner piers
surmounted by urns, is enclosed by early 18th-century
wrought-iron railings with central gates and scroll-work
standards (Plate 125). Inside, a bolection-moulded door
architrave and a wooden ceiling cornice of c. 1725 survive; otherwise the fittings are early 19th-century.
(127) Willoughby House, No. 2 (Fig. 87), two
storeys, attics and cellars, stone walls, class 11b, is
mostly early 18th-century, but a chimney stack in
the E. wall is apparently 17th-century. It was advertised for sale in 1739 as 'new built and fashionable'
and was then occupied by J. Wyche (Mercury, 9
Aug.), but was probably built c. 1717 (see stone
The main part of the 18th-century house comprises a
central entrance, large flanking rooms, and a side stair
case, with lesser rooms, considerably altered, at the back;
these last and the staircase are roofed at right angles to
the front range. A rear wing of one storey and attics
has a 17th-century origin, but the walls were refaced
with ashlar in the late 18th century, and alterations made
to the interior. Shortly before 1870 (Mercury, 27 Oct.
1871) the street front was refaced, the design being
dominated by heavy quoins and large bay windows.
Originally the front was in five bays (painting in Town
Hall). Internally, most features date from a general
redecoration scheme of c. 1790. The two front rooms
both have wooden fireplace surrounds in the Adam
style, and moulded and enriched plaster cornices. The
staircase (Plate 132) with turned balusters, heavy rail
and newels, and carved scroll brackets to the treads
(Plate 130), is early 18th-century. In the timber-framed
N. wall of the stair hall is a round-headed window with
Gothic glazing bars. Some upper rooms have plaster
dentil cornices of c. 1790. Inside the 17th-century rear
wing is a wide stone fireplace with chamfered jambs.
Set between returns in the front garden-wall are 18th-century wrought-iron gates, a pair in the centre and a
single gate at the side, decorated with scroll and chinoiserie lattice work (Plate 125).
On an outbuilding is a stone inscribed 'Under this
pavement is a well 1717'; this may be contemporaneous
with the building of the house.
Fig. 87 (127) 2 Broad Street.
(128) House, No. 3, two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, freestone dressings, is late 18th-century.
The plan, now resembling class 9b, is unusual in that
originally one of the main rooms on the front was
entered directly from the street; the position of the
doorway is now occupied by a window. Between this
room and a stair at the rear is the main entrance hall,
suggesting that the smaller front room had a commercial
use while the rest of the house, entered from the side,
remained private. On the street front the sills are now
continuous and there is a wide platband. Internally,
original decoration is mostly limited to plaster cornices,
one of which is enriched with flowers and clover
leaves. The kitchen fireplace has a round-headed opening
with moulded stone surround and keystone. On the first
floor are two reeded fireplaces, late 18th-century.
On the N. gable of the modern wing on the E. is a
reset crocketed coping with kneelers and a gable finial
with cusped panels, crockets and carved heads, apparently 15th-century. These pieces probably came from a
former building on this site, shown in a painting of a
bull-running (Town Hall).
(129) Houses including The Lincolnshire
Poacher (Plate 158), Nos. 5, 7, 8, three storeys,
brick barrel-vaulted cellars, coursed rubble walls
faced on S. in ashlar, have slated roofs. They were
built for Charles Lowe, wine merchant, in 1846 to
designs by Charles Richardson who applied in that
year to the Improvement Commissioners for permission to set forward the W. end of the house
(Mercury, 17 Apr.).
The long range formerly comprised three houses of
which the central and western were of three bays with
central entrances, and the eastern of two; the central
house is set slightly forward. The range terminates with
narrow, recessed, bays, that on the W. being curved.
The doorways have round heads and fanlights, and the
elevation is variously fenestrated, triple sashes predominating on the ground and first floor, and single
sashes or blind recesses on the top floors. An upper projecting bay window with rounded sides is original. A
broad platband has been partly mutilated to receive
trade boards, since removed; below a shallow parapet
is a moulded cornice. Inside, some plaster cornices of
1846 remain, particularly one in the Grecian taste in the
W. house (Plate 153). Late in the 19th century, much of
the interior was converted into a brewery.
Fig. 88 (130) 9 Broad Street
Front elevation before
and after amalgamation with adjoining property.
(130) House (Fig. 88), No. 9, of two storeys with
attics and cellars, ashlar walls, originally comprised two
houses; roof construction suggests that the E. section
has a late 17th or early 18th-century class 10 origin.
The E. house was rebuilt or refaced in the early 19th
century; soon afterwards the smaller W. house was
amalgamated and its front elevation rebuilt as a unity
with the E. part. Slightly later in the 19th century, the
central entrance to the E. house was moved to its present
position, and the sills of the ground-floor windows were
lowered. These alterations may be associated with the
use of the building, or part of it, as a bank after its conveyance in July 1810 (Messrs. Kelham, solicitors); it
remained a bank until the late 19th century. All openings are plain and their grouping reflects the two houses
incorporated in the present building. Inside, the arrangement of rooms has been much altered, but fittings
include a veined marble fireplace with fluted sides of
c. 1800, and a decorative plaster cornice of c. 1830.
(131) House, No. 10, two storey and attics, stone
walls, has an 18th-century origin but was largely rebuilt
in 1888, the date inscribed over the main doorway. Three
asymmetrically spaced windows on the first floor of the
street front have raised surrounds, keystones and continuous sills; these openings and much of the ashlar wall
they are in are probably 19th-century reproductions of
18th-century work. The ground floor has been gutted.
(132) House (Plate 108), No. 11, two storeys and
attics, is mid 18th-century, but the original class 10 plan
has been disguised by later bay windows and the change
in the position of the entrance; it was formerly of four
bays with a doorway in the third. The front has rusticated quoins, bold platband, two original upper windows with moulded sills and architraves, and keystones.
The wooden eaves cornice is bracketed. Inside, the
ground floor has been gutted but traces of the central
passage with a round-headed doorway in the back wall
remain. Fittings include fielded panelling in two heights
in the former W. room. At the rear are mid 19th-century additions, of two storeys, mainly commercial.
Fig. 89 (133) Former Stag and Pheasant Inn
Fig. 90 (133) Former Stag and Pheasant Inn.
(133) Former Stag and Pheasant Inn, No. 14
(Fig. 90; Plate 113), mostly of two storeys, some
attics and cellars, has an ashlar front wall, remainder
coursed rubble; the main block, of class 11a, dates
from the second quarter of the 18th century and
may incorporate parts of a 17th-century structure in
a rear wing. In 1799 the building became the New
Salutation Inn (Mercury, 10 Sept.). The W. section,
partly 17th-century at the rear, was much altered c.
1800 when it was made into a wine shop; stables on
the E. side of the plot were described as new in 1819
(Mercury, 24 Dec.).
The main range has an 18th-century roof with staggered purlins; the rear wing has a roof with clasped
purlins perhaps of the 17th century. The symmetrical
street front of five bays has a platband, openings with
continuous sills and pronounced keystones; the central
doorway and upper windows have rusticated architraves (Figs. 10, 89). Above, is a deeply projecting
moulded cornice and a parapet. The small range on the
W. has a round-headed upper window and moulded
stone eaves course; the ground-floor window is inserted in a former round-headed opening. In each rear
wing is a wooden mullion-and-transom window, probably late 17th-century. Reset in W. gable is a stone slab
inscribed 'IB 1663'. Inside, the 18th-century stair has
turned balusters, scroll tread-brackets and fielded
panelled dado; the upper flight has splat balusters (Fig.
15). In the main ground-floor room, originally two
rooms with central passage, are sections of doubleheight fielded panelling with wooden cornice; the
fireplaces have fielded-panelled overmantels. The rooms
above are now also united and similarly panelled. Other
rooms contain reset sections of panelling of various dates.
Fig. 91 (134) 15 Broad Street
Reconstruction of front elevation showing former central entrance.
(134) House, No. 15 (Fig. 91; Plate 113), two storeys
and attics, ashlar front, coursed rubble side and rear
walls, was probably built in the second quarter of the
18th century. It originally had a class 11 plan, but many
alterations have been made to the plan, particularly the
moving of the entrance from the centre to the second
bay and the unifying of the former hall with the E.
room. The five-bay street front has rusticated quoins,
wooden eaves cornice with brackets (Plate 122), and
openings with moulded surrounds and triple keystones.
Inside, there is an egg-and-dart plaster cornice of the
late 18th century; the late 19th-century stair incorporates turned balusters with square knops of the 18th
An outbuilding, originally timber-framed, of two
storeys, has a roof with clasped purlins; perhaps 17th-century.
(135) Former Rising Sun Inn, No. 17 (Fig. 92), one
and two storeys and attics, rubble walls, has a class 10
plan and an early 19th-century external appearance.
However, the W. room and the central entrance passage may originally have formed a medieval open hall,
and the E. part a two-storey service end (class 1a). The
W. section and central entrance passage have a high ceiling and the W. room has a heavy cross beam; a cross
partition is composed of 18th-century fielded panelling
in two heights. Although there is no detail which is
certainly medieval, this section probably formed the
service end originally. The medieval arrangement is reflected in the disposition of the windows on the street
Fig. 92 (135) 17 Broad Street
Fig. 93 (136) 18–19 Broad Street.
(136) Houses, Nos. 18–19 (Fig. 93), appear to have
developed as one property but are now separate. The
earlier, No. 19 on the E., dates from the mid 18th
century. No. 18 (Plate 142) was added on the W. in c.
1830, possibly replacing a former structure belonging to
No. 19; the E. bay of No. 18 was designed to provide the
main access to the whole property.
No. 19 (Plate 115), two storeys and attics, ashlar front,
coursed rubble rear walls, mansard roof, was built in the
mid 18th century possibly against an older and lower
building which stood to the E.; this latter has since been
rebuilt (137). The street front of two bays has a broad
platband and windows with moulded architraves (Fig.
11), keystones, and continuous sills to the upper pair,
and a boldly projecting cornice and parapet. The upper
part of the S.E. angle of the building overlaps the lower
building (137) to the E.; the rusticated quoins were used
only on the S.W. angle below the platband. The single
ground-floor room has an elaborate decorated plaster
ceiling of the second half of the 18th century with
bracketed cornice, central fluted rose with radial fluting
within and a band entwined with vines (Plate 137).
The fireplace of white and grey marble has central panel
carved with an urn spilling grapes, and vine foliage; a
door has an entablature carved with fluting and central
acanthus motif (Plate 131). Behind is a passage with
contemporary round-headed archways and a cupboard
with shaped shelves. The passage leads to a stair hall on
the E. and a further room on the N., both probably
additions of the late 18th century. The N. room, with
prominent semi-octagonal bay, has a late 18th-century
plaster cornice and stone fireplace. The stair hall has
a plaster ceiling comprising acanthus-derived central
motif and elegantly enriched cornice. The present stair
is early 19th-century with bracketed treads and handrail
terminating as a scroll. In an upper room is a white and
orange-veined marble fireplace of chaste design, 18th-century.
No. 18 (Plate 142), two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, freestone dressings, platband, cornice and
parapet, has rear wall and chimney stack in red brick.
Stylistically it appears to date from c. 1830. The symmetrical street front has two side projections each with
round-headed doorways, one, on the W., leading to a
through-passage with a side entrance to the house, the
other now providing the main entrance to No. 19, but
at one time access also to No. 18. Between the projections are sash windows and all openings have keystones.
Inside, the two back-to-back rooms have no datable
At the N. end of the gardens is an 8 ft. high terrace
on the line of the town wall. The W. end is still in the
form of a loggia with two round-headed arches, but the
E. section is now largely destroyed; 18th-century.
(137) Houses, Nos. 20–21 (Plate 115), two storeys
and attics, ashlar front wall, were built as a single house
on the site of part of No. 19 in the late 18th century.
Scratched on the plinth of the S. wall are initials IR and
a date 1770 or 1790. The street front of three unequal
bays has a first-floor moulded string course; the tall
sash windows have no architraves. The E. of the two
doorways is an insertion, but both are without surrounds. The interior, originally conforming to class 10
plan, has been recently remodelled.
On a wall in the yard are several carvings and inscriptions including cherubs and date '1824', presumably a
mason's trial pieces.
(138) House, No. 22, has a two-storey front range
and a rear wing of one storey and attics. The walls are
rubble. It has a 17th-century origin but the front range
was considerably altered in the early 19th century when
small rooms were also added in the entrant angle. The
street front is rendered and has early 19th-century sash
windows. Inside, one cross beam, perhaps 16th-century
but certainly reused, is partly chamfered and partly
wave-and-hollow moulded. The rear wing is a tworoom house of class 6 with axial chamfered beam of the
In the yard beyond is a row of mid 19th-century
industrial buildings of two storeys with coursed rubble
walls. They are lit by tall windows with small panes. It
was built for a foundry.
Fig. 94 (139) 25 Broad Street
(139) House and Shop, No. 25 (Figs. 94, 95; Plate
140), two storeys, cellar and attic, class 12, of coursed
rubble, the front wall of ashlar and E. wall of S. wing
timber-framed, was built in the mid 18th century; the
N. room was apparently intended as a shop. The street
elevation has a moulded stone plinth, alternate rusticated quoins, moulded wooden eaves cornice, and openings with moulded surrounds and keystones. The first
floor is of three bays but the ground floor of four,
originally with alternating windows and doors; the W.
door apparently always opened into a passage leading
to the back wing, and the other door with its flanking
windows to the shop in the front range.
Fig. 95 (139) 25 Broad Street.
(140) Congregational Hall, Nos. 28–30, was
formed recently out of two houses, first by demolishing
all but the upper storey of the stone façades and then by
rearranging the window surrounds and quoins; the
result is a pastiche. The former houses were a pair, of
two storeys each of three bays, and had basements with
17th-century mullioned windows and timber-framed
rear walls. On the first floor the moulded window surrounds of No. 29, the E. house, have been rearranged as
the central three windows of the new seven-bay façade
while the four plain surrounds from No. 30 form the
two outer bays. All have keystones. The W. quoins are
reset from No. 29. The ground floor is entirely modern.
A timber-framed stair turret of three storeys formerly
stood at the rear.
(141) House, No. 31, two storeys, attics and cellar,
now class 10, probably originated as a timber-framed
building of class 6 with a jetty to the street, which was
faced in ashlar in the late 18th or early 19th century. It
comprises a two-room house with a side-passage. A red
brick wing with lean-to roof was added at the rear in the
early 19th century. A shop front was installed by
Charles Richardson, architect, in 1848 (Mercury, 14
April); the shop window has curved side-panes and
stone side pilasters with egg-and-dart moulded capitals,
also repeated as door-pilasters. The central upper window is blocked and the eaves have a plaster cornice.
Interior fittings include a stone fireplace surround, and
fielded panelling in two heights in a first-floor room,
both perhaps c. 1800. Behind the house is a two-storey
bake-house, with stone walls and a projection for sackhoist, of c. 1848.
(142) House, No. 32 (Fig. 96; Plate 81), two storeys,
cellar and attics, ashlar front and rubble rear walls, has a
17th-century main range of class 10 plan which extends
over a carriage-entry to one side; a rear wing was
added in the 19th century. The street elevation comprises a central doorway with an early 19th-century
pedimented surround, flanked by two-storey gabled
bay windows with mullions and canted sides. Over the
carriage-entry is a timber-framed and gabled bay window with ovolo-moulded mullions, carried on wooden
moulded brackets. The rear wing incorporates two
stone mullioned windows reset from the back wall of
the main range. Interior fittings include 18th-century
fielded panelling of two heights, and early 19th-century
door surrounds with angle-roundel decoration. The
roof has collars which clasp the purlins.
(143) Building, behind No. 32, a long rectangular
structure with red brick walls, stone-dressed openings,
and hipped roof, may probably be identified as the silk
throwsting factory recorded in 1816 (Hall Book 5,
f. 126). The upper of the present two storeys may be late
19th-century; windows and doorways in the semibasement have segmental heads, stone jambs and keystones. Inside, a row of iron columns supports the first
floor which is of plaster. On the upper floor a kiln has
Fig. 96 (142) 32 Broad Street.
(144) Former Roe Buck Inn, No. 33 (Plate 114), class
8a, originated as a timber-framed structure, perhaps of
the 17th century. It was cased in stone early in the 18th
century; at about the same time a single room with
ground-floor walls of stone, the upper of timber-frame,
was added at the rear. A second rear wing was built late
in the 18th century and another of two storeys in red
brick added in the re-entrant angle in the early 19th
century. Timber-framing survives in the rear wall of the
main range. The front elevation in seven ground-floor
bays of coursed masonry has an almost central straight
joint which aligns with a change in ridge height. The
plain window surrounds with triple keystones are uniform throughout implying little difference in date
between the two sections. The central doorway has no
window above, and the end bays are occupied by openings to a passage on the E. and a yard on the W. On the
front is a date panel with shaped top, inscribed 'EW
1704', possibly for one Walker (Plate 129); in 1717 the
Roe Buck was owned by widow Walker and had
stables, a large yard and a garden (Mercury, 25 Apr.).
Inside, 18th-century fittings include stone fireplaces and
some reused turned stair balusters. The W. room has
fireplace and adjacent elliptical-headed arches with key-blocks and capitals, and panelled cupboards, indicating
its use as a kitchen. A number of early 19th-century
fireplaces have panelled surrounds and angle roundels.
Barn, of two storeys and attics, stone walls, is perhaps
18th-century; it was raised in height in c. 1800 to provide stables with lofts over.
(145) House, No. 34 (Plate 140), two storeys and
basement, attic in mansard roof, rendered stone walls, is
late 18th-century. It comprises a main range with staircase and a rear wing, resembling class 11b; the threebay front has central doorway with classical pedimented
surround, and flanking bay windows with canted sides,
which rise to a continuous moulded cornice. Inside,
some panelling of varying types survives on both floors.
(146) House, No. 37, on a corner site, two storeys,
ashlar walls, is early 18th-century. The upper storey has
rusticated quoins on the corner, and windows with
moulded architraves and sills. To the E. is a later rubblebuilt section. Internal features are lacking.
House and Shop, No. 38, see mon. 249.
(147) Houses, Nos. 39–40 (Plate 143), three
storeys, cellars, and attics in a mansard roof,
reduce to two storeys and attics at rear. They are
the remaining two of three houses built after 1786
and described as newly built in 1808 when the outgoing lessee was John Hames, mason (leases in
Town Hall). It is possible that Hames built them.
The seven-bay street front is ashlar with windows
rising from platbands. The ground-floor plans, originally conforming to class 13b, have been altered for
modern shops. The adjacent entrances are now windows and the hallway of No. 40 is incorporated in No.
39. Inside No. 40 the stairhall was entered through a
broad segmental arch; the stair has ramped handrail,
square balusters and turned newels. Fanlights were inserted over first-floor doors in the early 19th century
probably when the house was used as a bank. A fireplace
has a wooden reeded surround with fluted quartercolumns, and a frieze carved with frolicking cherubs, a
lion and swags. No. 39, gutted on the ground floor, has
a plainer stair than No. 40 and a fireplace with fretted
frieze of c. 1800.
Fig. 97 (148) 49 Broad Street.
(148) House, No. 49 (Fig. 97), now a bank, three
storeys, cellars, red brick walls in Flemish bond, hipped
roof, was built in 1770 by John Truman (deeds) and
bears a small slab in the S. wall inscribed 'JT 1770'.
The walls have brick platbands, dentilled eaves course,
and stone quoins on the W. corners. The plan approximates to class 13b but the ground-floor partitions have
been largely removed. First-floor windows on the
street front have stele-type over-lintels of Grecian
character and are probably early 19th-century. This
front is rendered.
(149) Shops, Nos. 50–51, a pair, two storeys, attics,
rubble walls, hipped mansard roof, were built c. 1830.
The rendered street front has two round-headed doorways and the original shop windows, one with moulded
surrounds, one retaining its small glass panes. Above the
first-floor platband are two sash windows flanked by
(150) House, No. 52 (Plate III), now incorporating
No. 3 Crown Street (167), two storeys, attics and cellars,
has ashlar front walls; the group is mid 18th-century.
Of L-shaped plan, it has hipped roof, two tall chimney
stacks, one of which has been rebuilt in brick, projecting
pilaster-like quoins and moulded timber eaves cornice.
The street front has a central doorway with early 19th-century pedimented surround, and on both floors are
large sash windows with plain architraves and keystones. With the removal of all inner walls the original
plan and position of the stair have been lost. One upper
room has 18th-century panelling of three heights, and a