Castle Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1977

Supporting documents

Page

79

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Castle Street', An Inventory of Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford (1977), pp. 79. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=129512 Date accessed: 25 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Castle Street (Fig. 138)

(153) House, Nos. 1–2, consists of a long 17th-century range of two storeys at right-angles to the street; it is built on sloping ground, with the cellar at the street end at the same level as the ground floor of the rear wing. A corbel and door jamb indicate a late medieval date for the cellar. The building on the street front was almost completely rebuilt in c. 1830 on a class 9 plan of three bays. The rear wing, the upper part timber-framed, has a continuous first-floor jetty on the W., now under-built in stone; the rounded ends of jetty joists are visible. A blocked window has wooden chamfered mullions. The main house, of two storeys and attics, was built c. 1830 of rubble with flush freestone dressings, and contains contemporary fittings including a reeded fireplace surround; in the attic is a 17th-century panelled door.

(154) Former Inn, No. 5, two storeys, has coursed rubble walls partly rendered. It was built as the Shepherd and Shepherdess Inn between c. 1825 and 1835 (Mercury, 15 May 1835) and later became the Castle Inn. The four-bay street front has large sash windows on the first floor, and two smaller below flanked by ellipticallyheaded arches, the wider leading to a carriage-entry, the narrower framing a doorway.

(155) Warehouse, at S. end of Cooch's Court, two storeys and attic, hipped roof, walls of rubble with freestone dressings, was still unfinished in 1835 when it was for sale (Mercury, 15 May). A wing formerly stood on the W. The wide entrance has a cambered head.



<--Previous:
Casterton Road
Next:-->
Church Lane