ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL
MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS OF ENGLAND
Report to The Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
May It Please Your Majesty
We, the undersigned Commissioners, appointed to make an Inventory of the Ancient and
Historical Monuments and Constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary
culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, excluding Monmouthshire, from
the earliest times to the year 1714, and such further Monuments and Constructions subsequent to
that year as may seem in our discretion to be worthy of mention therein, and to specify those
which seem most worthy of preservation, do humbly submit to Your Majesty the following Report,
being the thirty-fifth Report on the work of the Commission since its first appointment.
2. With regret we have to record the retirement from the Commission upon expiry of term of
office of Professor Maurice Willmore Barley, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
3. We thank Your Majesty for the appointment to the Commission of Professor Mark Girouard
and for the reappointment of Professor Sheppard Sunderland Frere, Fellow of the British Academy,
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
4. We have pleasure in reporting the completion of our Survey of the City of Salisbury (exclusive
of the Cathedral Close) in which we have identified 595 Monuments dating from before 1850. We
believe that no relevant Monument known at the time of writing has been omitted from the survey.
5. Following our customary practice we have compiled a detailed and comprehensive Inventory
of these Monuments, which we intend shortly to issue as the first volume of a non-Parliamentary
publication entitled 'Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury'. (The second and
final volume, now in process of compilation, will comprise an Inventory of the Cathedral and other
Monuments in the Cathedral Close.)
6. As in our previous publications, the Inventory will be prefaced by topographical and historical
notes and by a discussion of the principal stages in the architectural development of the City.
7. Our thanks are due to incumbents and churchwardens and to many custodians, owners and
occupiers of secular buildings who have kindly permitted us and members of our staff to enter and
investigate the Monuments in their ownership or charge. We acknowledge help freely given by
officers of the Wiltshire County and Salisbury District Councils, notably Mr. F.W. Crocker, Controller of Planning Services, Mr., B.M. Little, F.L.A., Divisional Librarian, and Mr. D.M. Frost,
A.L.A., Director of the City Library. We are particularly grateful for much valuable assistance from
Miss P. Rundle, M.A., Archivist in charge of the City Muniments, Miss P.K. Stewart, M.A., Assistant
Diocesan Archivist, and Mr. P.R. Saunders, B.A., A.M.A., Curator of the Salisbury and South
Wiltshire Museum. We acknowledge our indebtedness to the goodwill and learning of the late Hugh
de Saumarez Shortt, Curator of the Museum until his death in 1975.
8. We humbly recommend to Your Majesty's notice the following Ancient and Historical
Monuments in the City of Salisbury (excluding the Close), as Most Worthy of Preservation:
Earth works and archaeological remains
(1) OLD SARUM, banks and ditches of an Iron Age hillfort and remains of a superimposed Norman castle, all
now in the guardianship of the Secretary of State for
(2) CATHEDRAL AT OLD SARUM and associated remains, comprising foundations of mediaeval building
and cemeteries, also in the guardianship of the Secretary of State.
(16) CITY DEFENCES, comprising remains of a 13th-century rampart and ditch which formerly enclosed
the E. side of the City of New Sarum.
(3) ST. THOMAS's CHURCH, of 13th-century origin,
but largely rebuilt in the 15th century with a spacious
and well-proportioned nave and a highly enriched timber roof; the 15th-century "Doom" painting is noteworthy.
(4) ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH, with a 13th-century
chancel, a 14th-century tower and spire, and a 15th-century nave and aisles.
(5) ST. EDMUND'S CHURCH (redundant and closed
for worship; leased by Salisbury District Council to
St. Edmund's Arts Trust), comprising a large chancel
with flanking chapels which was added in the 15th
century to a 13th-century cruciform church, since
demolished. The tower on the site of the 13th-century crossing is a rare example of Cromwellian Gothic
(6) ST. LAWRENCE'S CHURCH, of 13th-century origin, but mainly of the 15th century and with an 18th-century W. tower.
(8) ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH, a small 14th-century
building associated with the poet George Herbert.
(9) ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH, the early 12th-century
church of the adjacent village of Harnham, retaining
several original features and a painting of c. 1260.
(10) ST. OSMUND'S CHURCH, designed by A.W.N.
(11) ST. JOHN'S CHAPEL, a well-preserved bridge
chapel of 1240, now a house.
Major secular buildings
(14) THE COUNCIL HOUSE, formerly St. Edmund's
College, a mansion of late 16th-century origin, altered
and refronted c. 1750 and extensively enlarged by
S.P. Cockerell in 1790.
(15) POULTRY CROSS, a market shelter of 15th-century origin, extensively restored in 1852.
(17) AYLESWADE BRIDGE, dating from 1240, enlarged in 1774.
(19) MILFORD BRIDGE, including late 14th or early
(22) GENERAL INFIRMARY, designed by John Wood
of Bath, 1767.
(26) ST. NICHOLAS'S HOSPITAL, dating from 1230
and retaining parts of the original fabric, designed to
accommodate the sick of both sexes in two parallel
wards, each with a chapel.
(27) TRINITY HOSPITAL, of 1702, an almshouse for
twelve people, comprising four ranges enclosing a
(33) FROWD'S ALMSHOUSES, erected in 1750.
Other secular buildings
Of mediaeval origin
(40–44) Nos. 15–19 OATMEAL ROW, timber-framed
houses dating from the 15–17th century, worthy of
(63) Nos. 48–52 SILVER STREET, timber-framed
houses built in 1471.
(71) WHEATSHEAF INN, comprising a small 14th-century and a larger 15th-century house, the latter well-preserved.
(82) Nos. 52–4 HIGH STREET, a well-preserved row of
14th-century timber-framed houses.
(83–4) Nos. 56–8 HIGH STREET, 15th-century timber-framed houses masked by later features.
(97) CHURCH HOUSE, the largest and best-preserved
15th-century house to remain in Salisbury, with a
well-restored open hall, parlour and solar.
(102) No. 91 CRANE STREET, a large house partly of
the 14th century and partly of the 16th century, retaining mediaeval roofs and 16th-century plasterwork.
(106) No. 47 NEW STREET, a 14th-century stonewalled house with 16th-century timber-framed additions.
(128) No. 8 QUEEN STREET, a mid 15th-century timber-framed house containing 17th-century carved panelling of good quality.
(129) No. 9 QUEEN STREET, a well-preserved timber-framed house probably built in 1306, the oldest datable house in the city.
(132) Nos. 15–18 QUEEN STREET, formerly the
Plume of Feathers Inn, a group of timber-framed
buildings dating from the 14th century and including
a picturesque 17th-century staircase.
(140) No. 21 MILFORD STREET and adjoining houses
incorporating the Bolehall, an important 14th-century merchant's house.
(158) Nos. 2–14 GUILDER LANE, a row of timber-framed 15th-century cottages.
(173) GEORGE INN, the remaining range of a large
14th-century courtyard inn with a picturesque W.
facade and much original timber framework. A first-floor room retains a false hammerbeam roof with
original carved enrichment.
(174) Nos. 11 and 13 HIGH STREET, two 15th-century houses with interesting interior fittings.
(185) THE HALL OF JOHN HALL, the surviving fragment of a large 15th-century house, with a highly enriched open roof, original heraldic glass and a carved
(203) BELL and CROWN INN, of the mid 14th century.
(219) RED LION HOTEL, a well-preserved 14th-century timber-framed range containing much original
(253) Nos. 3 and 5 ST. JOHN'S STREET, timber-framed 15th-century houses.
(290–1) Nos. 60–66 ST. ANN'S STREET, late 15th
and early 16th-century timber-framed houses.
(302) WINDOVER HOUSE, a large house of 14th-century origin with four ranges enclosing a courtyard.
(305) No. 18 ST. ANN'S STREET, a small 14th-century
(328) No. 8 ST. NICHOLAS ROAD, retaining some
part of the 13th-century De Vaux College.
(341) HOUSE, probably of the 14th century, at the
S.E. corner of Blue Boar Chequer.
(344) RANGE Of BUILDINGS, once part of the Boar
Inn, built in 1444.
(399) PHEASANT INN and SHOEMAKERS' HALL,
timber-framed buildings respectively of the 15th and
(576) ROSE and CROWN HOTEL, including a 14th-century range with an original crown-post roof.
(588) HARNHAM MILL, a well-preserved industrial
building of c. 1500, with walls of chequered flint and
ashlar, containing original windows and doorways of
good architectural quality.
of 16th and 17th-century origin
(36) No. 29 CHEESEMARKET, a fine 17th-century
town house with a good carved staircase.
(247) No. 53 PAYNE'S HILL, a small house dating
from the last quarter of the 17th century.
(252) KING'S ARMS HOTEL, a timber-framed building, mainly of the 16th and 17th centuries, with interesting features.
(273) BARNARD'S CROSS HOUSE, a substantial late
(293) JOINERS' HALL, an early 17th-century Guild
Hall, a property of the National Trust.
(304) CRADOCK HOUSE, probably of 1619.
(359) No. 47 WINCHESTER STREET, a medium-sized
town house of 1673.
(526) HOUSE, in Bemerton, with an interesting cruck
(528) BEMERTON RECTORY, an interesting stone
building of 1630.
(549) PARSONAGE FARM HOUSE, a 16th-century
country house with interesting original fittings and a
pleasing early 19th-century facade.
(557) MAWARDEN COURT, a house of c. 1600 with
additions probably of 1673.
(581) OLD PARSONAGE FARM, a 16th-century timber-framed building.
Of 18th and 19th-century origin
(87) No. 47 HIGH STREET, a large house of c. 1700,
with interesting fittings.
(99) AUDLEY HOUSE, an early 18th-century town
(101) No. 93 CRANE STREET, a handsome town
house of c. 1700.
(110) No. 33 NEW STREET, a well-preserved 18th-century house.
(133) No. 20 QUEEN STREET, with a fine mid 18th-century staircase.
(199) THE HALL, No. 4 New Street, a substantial mid
18th-century town house with good interior fittings.
(254) WHITE HART HOTEL, a building of c. 1820
with a conspicuous portico.
(287) No. 82 ST. ANN'S STREET, an early 18th-century house with late 18th-century extensions.
(289) No. 68 ST. ANN'S STREET, a fine mid 18th-century house incorporating parts of an earlier building.
(299) Rotunda, No. 42 St. Ann's Street, now a gallery of Salisbury Museum, comprising a dining room
of c. 1812 with plasterwork of good quality.
(307) No. 6 ST. ANN'S STREET, a large house of c.
1750 incorporating an earlier building.
(419) No. 1 CASTLE STREET, the remaining part of a
handsome 18th-century town house with an impressive pilastered facade and good internal fittings.
(427) No. 45 CASTLE STREET, an interesting 18th-century house with fittings of good quality.
Groups of buildings
The facades of certain buildings, not by themselves
important enough for inclusion in the list, yet merit
preservation because they belong, visually, to groups
of buildings generally illustrative of Salisbury in former
times. Such groups are: (1) the S. side of Crane Street,
from High Street to Crane Bridge; (2) both sides of High
Street, from the Crane Street crossing to the Close gateway; (3) both sides of St. Ann's Street.
9. The foregoing lists have a purely scholarly basis. In compiling them we have considered the
archaeological and architectural importance of each Monument, its rarity in the national as well as
in the local field and the degree of cultural loss that would result from its destruction, always bearing in mind the extent to which the Monument is connected with or is illustrative of the contemporary culture, etc. of the people in England, as required in Your Majesty's Warrant. We have taken no
account of attendant circumstances such as cost of maintenance or difficulty of preservation.
10. We desire to commend the work done by our executive staff in the production of the Inventory, in particular by the editor, Mr. G.U.S. Corbett, O.B.E., Ph.D., F.S.A., and by our investigators, Mr. N. Drinkwater, O.B.E., T.D., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A., Mr. D.J. Bonney, B.A., F.S.A., Mrs. H.
Bonney, B.A., Mr. J.A. Reeves, F.S.A., Dr. B.E.A. Jones, M.A., and Mr. N.J. Moore, M.A., M.Phil.,
by our photographers, Messrs. W.C. Light and R.E.W. Parsons, and by our illustrator, Mr. P.A.
Spencer. We are also grateful for help from our investigator, Mr. C.F. Stell, M.A., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A.
The index was compiled by Mrs. H.M. Green.
11. In conclusion we desire to commend our Secretary and General Editor, Mr. R.W. McDowall,
O.B.E., M.A., F.S.A., who continues to afford unremitting assistance to us in the discharge of Your
All of which we submit to Your Majesty with our humble duty.
C.A. RALEGH RADFORD
15th December, 1976
J.K.S. ST. JOSEPH
R.W. MCDOWALL (Secretary)