Monuments on the E. side are described above (40)–
(51) Houses, four adjoining, now combined to make
bank offices, are of three storeys with brick walls and
slated roofs. The two E. houses in Minster Street are of
the early 19th century; those on the W., fronting Cheesemarket, are somewhat earlier. All retain original sashed
windows in the upper storeys. Inside, there is some
(52) House, No. 15, of three storeys with attics, with
timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, dates from late in
the 15th century. By removal of the first floor the two
lower storeys have been combined to make a modern
shop. The upper part of the E. front is masked by a tile-hung facade. The W. elevation is jettied at second-floor
level and retains a moulded sill and original corner posts
with curved brackets. Inside, the three-bay roof has two
tie-beam trusses with chamfered arch-braced collars,
curved wind-braces and butt purlins.
(53) House, No. 11, of four storeys with brick walls
and a slate-covered roof, is largely of the late 18th
century. The two-bay E. front has plain sashed windows.
The tile-hung top storey is modern.
(54) House, No. 9, of two storeys and an attic, with
timber-framed walls on a stone plinth and with a slate-covered roof, is of the early 16th century. A first-floor
room has intersecting beams. The two-bay roof is ridged
N.–S. and has a yoked and collared tie-beam truss with
lower angle braces and clasped purlins.
(55) House, Nos. 3 and 5, originally one, divided in
1680 into two tenements but now in part reunited, is of
three storeys with attics and has timber-framed walls
and tiled roofs. The house appears to date from late in
the 15th century and comprises two parallel ranges with
roofs ridged E.–W. and with a two-gabled E. front. In
1611, when Robert Jole leased the house from Robert
Holmes, (fn. 1) a schedule of rooms and fittings mentions a
cellar, a shop, a hall, various chambers and two cocklofts. In 1632 Holmes sold the property to Richard
Mason, shoemaker. In 1680 Henry Mason divided it into
two parts, settling the S. range on Thomas Cooper; in
1687 Cooper also acquired some rooms in the N. range.
In 1741 both parts were bought by Samuel Fawconer,
hosier, who owned the adjoining Haunch of Venison
Inn (56). There are plans of c. 1850 by Peniston. (fn. 2)
(55) Nos. 3 and 5 Minster Street. (56) Haunch of Venison Inn.
In the E. elevation the lower storey has a modern
shop-front, but above first-floor level many original
features remain (Plate 100). In the N. range the first-floor room has a projecting window with a moulded sill
and shafted wood mullions; the corresponding window
in the S. range is modern. The walls on either side of the
projecting windows were originally pierced by continuous rows of segmental-headed windows, now blocked.
Moulded posts at the centre and corners of the facade
have brackets for the jettied second floor. The third
storey has projecting windows as described, but smaller.
The cusped barge-boards are of the 19th century. In the
W. elevation both ranges are jettied at the first and
second floors, but the framework is masked by tilehanging and all windows are modern.
Inside, jowl-headed posts and heavy
beams are exposed. The ground-floor
rooms have no notable features. On the
first floor, a doorway (a) has a hollow-chamfered four-centred head and foliate
spandrels enclosing a shield with a merchant mark as shown. The adjacent fireplace has moulded stone jambs and an overhanging oak
bressumer (Plate 90). The second-floor rooms retain
some original doorways and partitions. In the attic
storey the roof of the N. range has three collared tie-beam trusses with mortices for former arch-braces;
the roof of the S. range is concealed.
(56) Haunch of Venison Inn, (see plan with (55)), of
three storeys with rendered and tile-hung timber-framed
walls, and with a tiled roof ridged N.–S., is of the mid
15th century. The E. front has 18th-century windows
and is jettied at the second floor (Plate 100); the W.
front retains no early features. Inside, original timber
framework is exposed. In the E. ground-floor room the
former first-floor jetty, now under-built, is shown by
cuttings in the first-floor joists. The S.W. ground-floor
room has an open fireplace with an original cambered
and chamfered timber bressummer. The two-bay roof
has double-collared tie-beam trusses with purlins at two
levels and curved wind-braces.