For location of monuments (118–125), see plan, p. 95.
(118) House, No.1 High Street, of three storeys with
brick walls and slate-covered roofs, probably dates from
the third quarter of the 18th century. In the W. front
the storeys are defined by plat-bands and there is a
heavy stone cornice with modillions. Each upper storey
has two plain sashed windows with keystones; below is a
modern shop window. The interior has been modernised.
Old photographs show that No. 3, formerly adjacent on
the S. but demolished c. 1920, had a four-bay facade
uniform and continuous with that of No. 1, (fn. 1) an advertisement of 1770 for a 'large new-built house' is likely to
refer to No. 3. (fn. 2)
Another photograph (Plate 15) shows the demolition,
c. 1930, of a mediaeval house at the N.W. corner of the
chequer. (fn. 3) It was three-storeyed and had scissor-braced
timber framework with jetties to N. and W.
(119) House, No. 61 Silver Street, recently demolished, was of four storeys with timber-framed walls and
tiled roofs; it probably was of the late 16th century. The
gabled N. front was jettied at the second floor and had
one sashed window in each upper storey; the ground
floor had a modern shop window. Inside, chamfered
beams and posts were exposed. The three-bay roof had
tie-beam trusses with queen-struts and windbracing. The
tie-beams were braced to the uprights of the fourth
(120) Shop, No. 53 Silver Street, and Warehouse extending S. to New Canal, are of three storeys with brick
walls and slate-covered roofs and were built early in the
19th century. The front to Silver Street has four bays of
plain sashed windows in the upper storeys and modern
shop windows below. The S. front is of eleven bays,
mostly with windows with small-paned cast-iron casements, but the centre bay has doorways in each storey
served by a hoist with a wrought-iron crane.
(121) House and Shop, No. 21 Silver Street, of four
storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the
mid 19th century. Above a modern shop front the N.
elevation has three plain sashed windows in each storey,
and a moulded stone cornice.
(122) House, No. 41 Silver Street, of three storeys
with brick walls and a slate-covered roof, is of the late
18th century. The two-bay N. front has a modern shop
window in the ground storey and sashed windows with
triple keystones in the upper storeys. Above is a
moulded stone cornice and a brick parapet. Inside,
plain 18th-century stairs are preserved above first-floor
(123) House and Shop, No. 39 Silver Street, of three
storeys with brick walls and a slate-covered roof, is of
the 18th century. The four-bay N. front has a modern
shop window in the ground storey and plain sashed
windows in both upper storeys. Above is a moulded
timber cornice with dentils, and a parapet. Inside,
the upper storeys retain original joinery of good quality.
As the lowest step and curtail of the main staircase is at
first-floor level it appears that the ground floor was
designed to be a shop.
(124) House, now incorporated with and enclosed
on three sides by a modern shop, is of three storeys with
an attic and has brick walls and a tiled roof. It is of the
17th century. The E. front, rebuilt in the 18th century,
has three sashed windows in each upper storey and a
moulded brick string-course and cornice. Inside, the
third storey has chamfered ceiling beams with shaped
stops. The stairs from this storey to the attic have a
closed string, stout square newel posts, a moulded
handrail and shaped splats in lieu of balusters.
(125) Cottage, No. 18 New Canal, formerly concealed by modern walls but discovered during demolition, was of two storeys with timber-framed walls and
a tiled roof ridged E.—W.; it was of the 14th or 15th
century. The first floor was jettied on the S. and a roll-moulded bracket projected from the S.E. corner post
of the lower storey.