Cross keys Chequer
Of the monuments recorded, a number were demolished for the rebuilding of the N. half of the chequer in
1976. The remains of two 14th-century houses (131–2)
and an 18th-century staircase (133) were preserved and
incorporated with the new buildings. The facades to
Queen Street were partly preserved and partly
reproduced in facsimile.
Monuments in Cross Keys Chequer.
(126) House, No. 5 Queen Street, of two storeys with
tile-hung timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, is probably of 16th-century origin, but extensively altered. The
W. front is jettied at the first floor. An early
photograph (fn. 1) shows this house together with a timber-framed mediaeval building on the S.W. corner of the
chequer, now gone. The large corner tenement facing W.
to the Guildhall and S. to Milford Street belonged
thoughout the 14th century to the Chese, Chuse or
Juwys family, (fn. 2) and was known by 1420 as Cheesecorner. Although the westward-facing houses of Cheesecorner (126–8) had at times been occupied separately,
they all belonged to Robert Cove by the middle of the
15th century. (fn. 3)
(127) Pair of Houses, Nos. 6–7 Queen Street, originally one, but divided before 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm),
were built c. 1785. A drawing of c. 1790 (Plate 8) shows
the three lower storeys of the existing W. front, but in
the engraving of the old council house, c. 1780 (Plate 2),
an older building appears. In c. 1790 the ground floor
was 'Shorto's Cutlery'. The houses are now fourstoreyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs. Above
modern shop windows each upper storey of the W.
elevation has four plain sashed windows. The original
top-lit oak staircase survives in the N. house, above
first-floor level. Two rooms have 18th-century fireplace
(128) House, No. 8 Queen Street, of three storeys
with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is probably of
the mid 15th century. The site was once part of the
Cheesecorner tenement (see monument (126)). Of the
several shops formerly built along the W. side of this
large tenement, at least two facing the Guildhall were
acquired in 1397 by John Cammell, grocer. (fn. 4) Cammell
died in 1398 (fn. 5) leaving this property to another John
Cammell (mayor 1449) who retained it until after 1450.
The W. front (Plate 63), retaining much original
timber framework, was jettied at the first and second
floors, but only the second-floor jetty remains; the casement windows are modern. The tile-hung E. elevation
has 18th-century sashed windows, that in the lower
storey having three lights with gothic heads.
(128) No. 8 Queen Street.
In plan the main part of the house is square, the
rooms being grouped around a single chimney-stack
which may be an early 17th-century insertion. A narrow
through-passage on the ground floor gives access from
the street to a courtyard on the E. The partitions
between the ground-floor rooms have gone, but jowlheaded posts and chamfered beams with moulded stops
remain. The N.E. ground-floor room, extended in the
18th century and lined with fielded panelling of that
period, has a fireplace with chamfered stone jambs and a
timber bressummer. The stairs are of the 18th century
with plain balustrades and a moulded mahogany handrail. On the first floor, the long E. room has 18th-century panelling and a 17th-century fireplace with
moulded stone jambs and a timber bressummer. The
S.W. room is lined with 17th-century oak panelling in
situ and has a stone fireplace (Plate 92) with a carved
oak chimneypiece in which the Sacrifice of Isaac,
evidently by Humphrey Beckham (cf. his own monument in St. Thomas's, Plate 47), is flanked by busts of a
king and a queen and by caryatids probably representing
Religion and Innocence. The N.W. room has an enriched
cornice of c. 1800. The roofs have collared tie-beam
trusses with clasped purlins.
A two-storeyed service range with timber-framed
walls and a tiled roof, E. of the courtyard, is of the late
16th or early 17th century; it has a central chimney-stack
with a fireplace on each floor.
The popular association of this house with John Port
(mayor 1446) is due to misinterpretation of documentary evidence. Port's house was in the Cheesemarket (see
(25), p. 54).
(129) House, No. 9 Queen Street, of three storeys
with timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, dates mainly
from early in the 14th century and is remarkably well
preserved. In 1306 Roger Hupewell, the holder of the
land now occupied by Nos. 9 and 10 (130), sold a piece
of ground 39 ft. long (other dimension unspecified) to
William Russel with permission for Russel to build a
wooden house beside that which already stood on the
site of No. 10. (fn. 6) Russel, who owned adjoining land, presumably the rest of that which now is No. 9, agreed to
maintain an efficient gutter between the two buildings.
In 1314 Hupewell gave Russel permission to heighten
the house, but reserved the right to make his own
house higher still if he so wished; the heightening may
explain the tiered fenestration of Russel's hall. The
owners of the house throughout the 14th and 15th
centuries are identifiable. (fn. 7) Being opposite the Guildhall
and Wool Market it was often owned by wool
merchants; these included Henry Russel (before 1354),
Henry Fleming (1354–60), Thomas Hyndon (1363–
98) and members of the Harding family (1398–1459).
In 1435 Thomas Harding, draper of London, let the
house to Richard and Alice Walker; the Walkers lived
there until 1459 when the house was given to the
cathedral by William Harding, clerk of the cathedral
works. In 1649 the house comprised a shop, a kitchen,
a buttery, a hall above stairs, four chambers, a garret,
a courtyard and a stable. (fn. 8)
(129) William Russel's House, No. 9 Queen Street
Apart from the roof and the W. front, both rebuilt
between 1780 and 1790 (cf. Plates 2 and 8), William
Russel's house of 1306–14 survives virtually intact.
The 18th-century W. front, faced with mathematical
tiles, has a modern shop window below and plain sashed
windows in the upper storeys; the hipped roof rises over
a wooden cornice with brackets. The N., S. and E.
elevations are largely concealed by adjoining buildings.
Inside, the lower storey is masked by modern walllinings, but in the second and third storeys the original
structure is exposed. The mediaeval house is four bays
long. The two western bays are three-storeyed, but the
two eastern bays comprise a hall (26 ft. by 21 ft.) originally open from ground to roof. In 1975 an inserted
second floor was removed and the upper part of the hall
was restored (Plate 82). The original cambered and
moulded tie-team (A) of the hall roof is braced by
timber framework in the form of a large cusped arch (C),
decorated with continuous triple roll-mouldings, the
middle roll keeled. Until recently the radial timber
framework of the spandrels was filled in with chalk
rubble, but this has now been removed. At the apex the
upper arch-braces clasp a carved timber boss; in the
original roof a crown-post may well have stood over this
boss. The tie-beam has double roll-mouldings with
foliate stops on each side. Similar mouldings are applied
to the wall-plates on the N., S. and E. of the hall. Above
the wall-plates, the four corners of each bay in the hall
have chamfered horizontal braces. Mediaeval timbers
reused in the 18th-century roof probably come from
the original structure.
The hall was lit by timber windows, each originally of
two lights with cusped two-centred heads. These
windows occur at levels corresponding with the second
and third storeys. On the N. side in the third storey the
W. bay has an original window, but the E. bay has a
widened window of three lights with ogee heads,
probably a 15th-century modification. High up at the E.
end of the N. wall is a small circular opening with
trefoil cusping. The second storey on the N. side has
an original window in the E. bay, but the W. bay has no
opening, probably because Roger Hupewell's house
covered it externally. On the S. side an original cusped
two-light window remains in the W. bay of the hall;
it is partly covered by the 15th-century roof of No. 8
(128). The E. bay of the S. side has 18th-century sashed
windows in both upper storeys.
The first-floor chamber in the W. half of the house
communicated with the hall through a doorway with
a chamfered two-centred head; the chamfer remains on
the brace of the second-floor beam. If there was no
gallery the doorway may have opened directly from the
In the W. wall the reset wall-plate of the third storey
(moved some 3 ft. E. of its original position when the
jetty was removed, c. 1780) has ogee mouldings and
mortices on its underside indicating two windows, each
of three square-headed lights.
A two-storeyed brick building adjoining the E. end of
the mediaeval hall appears to have been added during the
18th century. It has no noteworthy features.
(130) House, No. 10 Queen Street, of three storeys
and an attic, with brick walls and a tiled roof, appears to
be of the mid 18th century. In the W. front the lower
storey is modern; the second storey has a projecting
window of three sashed lights with an ogee-shaped lead
roof; the third storey has two plain sashed windows; the
attic is masked by a shaped parapet with elliptical-headed
panels. Inside, some rooms retain 18th century joinery
and moulded cornices. The stairs have turned balusters
and moulded handrails.
The history of the long, narrow tenement can be
traced in deeds of the Tailors' Guild. (fn. 9) In 1306 (see
(129)) it was the property of Roger Hupewell; by 1386
it belonged to William More, tailor, and his wife
Susanna; from 1432 to 1464 it belonged to Edward
Goodyer, tailor, and his wife Dionisia. Both the Mores
and the Goodyers appear in the bede roll of benefactors of the Tailors' Guild, William More (d. 1424)
having endowed his obit with funds from the tenement,
while the Goodyers gave the tenement to the guild in
1464. (fn. 10) In a deed of 1432 Susanna More leased the front
shop and rooms over it, together with the kitchen, upper
rooms and outbuildings at the rear of the tenement, to
the Goodyers, but she retained the hall and parlour for
her own use. The house remained with the Tailors' Guild
until the 19th century. Lessees include Thomas
Goddard, cutler, in 1791 and 1831, and John Munday,
a warden of the guild, in 1834. (fn. 11) .
(131) House with Shop and another Building, Nos.
14 and 13 Queen Street, were part of the former Cross
Keys Inn. In 1341 the tenement was described as extending 'from Carterstrete (Queen Street) along the
alley opposite the Market to Brown Street'. (fn. 12) The W.
part of the area, approximately 50 ft. by 110 ft.,
evidently corresponds with a standard burgage plot of
3 by 7 perches as laid down in the city charter of 1225.
In the 14th century the tenement belonged to the elder
William Teynturer who, dying in 1363, endowed his
chantry at the cathedral with the revenue. (fn. 13) The arrangement of the mediaeval buildings 'along the alley' is
suggested in a lease of 1403 wherein the N. part of the
tenement (No. 14) is described as a shop with chambers
newly built and a stable with chambers over it adjoining the said shop; the tenant had access to the yard by
way of the entry, and to a well and a latrine in the
yard. (fn. 14) In 1465 the property was called Seynt Maryabbey, probably because it belonged to the cathedral. (fn. 15)
The first-floor plan of No. 14 appears with the plans of
Nos. 15–18 (132) on p. 85.
The survey of 1649 gives a more detailed picture. The
Queen Street frontage then comprised three shops and
an entry. No. 14, the largest of the three, was described
as a part of the inn called The Cross Keys. The E. part of
the tenement contained stables surrounding 'the great
yard or court situate in the middle of the said abbey and
parcel of the same, through which court there hath been
and now are ways and passages to and from the said
tenements and stables'. (fn. 16)
No. 13, formerly on the S. of the court (see map,
p. 81) but demolished in 1965, was two-storeyed with
timber-framed walls and an iron-covered roof; it probably was of the early 15th century. The roof, originally
of collar-rafter construction without purlins, was
strengthened by the addition of four collared tie-beam
trusses. The two W. trusses had chamfered and cambered
tie-beams braced to the walls with chamfered curved
members; the two E. trusses had lower angle-braces and
supported purlins. The timbers were smoke-blackened
and the ceiling of the first-floor rooms had probably
been inserted in the 18th century, as also had two
brick chimneystacks set against the S. wall. The building
formerly extended further west.
No. 14 was on the N. side of the former court. Much
of the range was demolished in 1974 during the redevelopment of the N. part of the chequer, but the
timber framework of the four W. bays was preserved; it
is of the late 14th-century (witness the lease of 1403
cited above) and of three storeys. The gabled W. front
(Plate 101), partly rendered and partly tile-hung, was
originally jettied in both upper storeys. The roof of the
original four-bay structure has a central tie-beam truss
and two intermediate collar-trusses, with clasped purlins
and curved wind-braces. The eastern half of the 14th-century building appears originally to have had no
second floor, the roof timbers being smoke-blackened.
The large chimney-stack and the four two-storeyed bays
E. of it were probably of the 16th century. The easternmost bay was of the 18th or 19th century.
(132) Plume of Feathers, Nos. 15–18 Queen Street,
formerly an inn, (fn. 17) but at the time of investigation
(1965–74) partly shops and partly unoccupied and since
1974 extensively altered in the redevelopment of the N.
part of the chequer, occupied a rectangular burgage plot
(A, B, C, D, on the plan) equal in size to the adjacent plot
(131). When investigated the plot contained seven distinct structures (i–vii on the drawings and in the following description), ranging in date of origin from the
14th to the 19th century; they surrounded a narrow
yard entered from the Market Place by a through-way in
the W. range (i–ii). The W. front (Plate 101, r.), preserved in the redevelopment, comprises two facades, No.
15 of three and No. 18 of four storeys, each two bays
wide. On the ground floor there are modern shop fronts;
the upper storeys of No. 15 are faced with 18th-century
mathematical tiles; No. 18 is brick-fronted. The facade
of No. 18, with plain triple sashed windows, must be
later than 1795 as a drawing published in that year
shows in its place a timber-framed elevation with two
gables. (fn. 18) Before the alterations of 1974 the elevations
surrounding the yard were tile-hung, rendered, weather-boarded, of brick and of timber framework. A picturesque 17th-century staircase (Plate 86) occupied the S.E.
corner of the yard. A lead rainwater head was dated
1689. The whole site had been badly neglected for many
(131-2) Houses adjoining Cross Keys and
Plume Of Feathers Yards
First floor plan.
Described in mediaeval deeds as 'opposite the market
where wool is sold', the tenement belonged in the 14th
century to rich wool merchants. Robert de Woodford,
mayor 1322, collector and receiver of the King's wool
for Wiltshire in 1343–5, owned the house from 1340 at
latest. (fn. 19) In 1362, after the deaths of Robert and his
brother John, the tenement was sold to William de
Wichford, mayor 1359. (fn. 20) Later it belonged to Nicholas
le Taillour, draper, mayor 1373, and by 1400 to Thomas
Castleton, mercer. In 1420 Castleton sold it for £140
to William Harnhalle, barber, who since 1393–4 had
been a sub-tenant, occupying a shop with solar and a
building named 'le celer' behind the shop; Harnhalle
also enjoyed right of access to a well and to a latrine in
the courtyard. (fn. 21) It is not clear when the house became an
inn, but at least part of the plot was called the Plume of
Feathers by 1635; it retained the name throughout the
17th and 18th centuries. (fn. 22) In 1752 it was reported that
'the Plume of Feathers in the Market Place is now completely fitted up and made commodious'. (fn. 23)
In 1974, while the buildings were being prepared
partly for demolition and partly for incorporation in a
modern structure, the following facts were confirmed.
i. The building (No. 15) at the S.W. corner of the
burgage plot is timber-framed and of three storeys with
attics. It was in existence when No. 14 (131) was built
and must therefore be earlier than 1403; almost certainly it is of the 14th century. The heavily strutted
timber framework of the gabled S. wall is illustrated below; between the timbers the wall was of chalk blocks.
There is evidence in the surviving members that the
mathematical-tiled 18th-century W. front replaces an
original street front which was jettied at the first and
second floors. That the building formerly extended into
the N. part of the plot is shown by two panels of its
stout timber-framed E. wall which survived until
recently in the lower storey of No. 18 (ii), between the
two S. staircases; the heavy cross-braced framework
(drawing below) was certainly of the 14th century. A
mortice for further bracing in the N. side of an upper
post provided additional evidence of the northward
continuation of the building. It probably extended to
the N. side of the plot.
The roof of building i (partly preserved in the modern
structure) has two main bays, each bisected by an archbraced open truss. The truss between the bays has framework similar to that of the S. gable and probably corresponded with a partition between two second-floor
chambers. There are long mortices for horizontal braces
between the wall-plates and the tie-beam.
ii. The N.W. corner of the burgage plot was occupied
in 1965–74 by a plain brick building of c. 1800. It comprised two shops, one longer than the other, each with
three upper storeys. As stated above, the E. wall of the
S. shop was partly of the 14th century. The northern
shop extended into the area formerly occupied by building iv.
Plume Of Feathers Yard
buildings i, iii and iv, partly reconstructed.
(132) Houses N. and W. of Plume and Feathers Yard.
iii. In the middle of the N. side of the burgage plot a
three-storeyed timber-framed range, with the first floor
jettied S. and the second floor originally jettied S. and
W., is also of 14th-century origin. The stone N. wall of
the lower storey continues to E. and W. and is probably
the original plot boundary; above first-floor level this
wall is of 18th-century brickwork. Timber framework in
the N. wall of the third storey retains the rebates of a
former window. The E. wall has a large chimney-breast
of brick and ashlar, apparently an early 17th-century
feature; on the ground floor it is blind and merely supports the first-floor fireplace. In the S. front, originally
gabled, the 14th-century lower jetty remains, but that of
the second floor has been cut back. In the W. elevation
the second-floor jetty is supported on six 14th-century
brackets with curved and chamfered braces rising from
small wall-shafts with ogee-moulded capitals. Although
it came to be enclosed in building iv, the W. wall of iii
must originally have been external. A rebated doorway
at first-floor level in the S. part of the west elevation
must be an original feature as building iv blocks it up; it
may have been approached originally by an outside
staircase or it may have given access to a balcony
sheltered by the ornamental W. jetty. Inside, building iii
originally had a single room on each floor. The large
second-floor room, open to the roof, has chamfered
jowl-headed wall-posts. The slightly cambered central
tie-beam has mortices for horizontal bracing. The 14th-century roof has been severely mutilated, but surviving
members indicate an original four-bay structure with a
collared tie-beam truss with haunched principals and
lower angle-braces, near the middle, and with two
intermediate trusses with ogee scissor braces; only one of
the latter survives and its upper part has perished (see
drawing; the cruck strapped to the base of one ogee
member has obviously been brought from elsewhere).
The removal of the S. jetty of the second floor in building iii and the substitution of hipped roofs for the
original N. and S. gables probably took place in the 17th
iv. Early in the 15th century the space between the
W. side of building iii and the E. side of the northern end
of building i was filled by a lofty hall, two bays long
from W. to E. and corresponding in height with the three-storeyed buildings at either end. The N. side of the hall
rested on the stone boundary wall of the plot; the E. end
consisted of the W. side of building iii with its ornamental jetty; the W. end was the E. side of building
i. Nothing remains of the S. wall except a timber doorway with a cusped and sub-cusped ogee head. The hall
roof is represented by a number of members remaining
in situ, including a large chamfered collar-beam with
upper principal rafters and V-struts, purlins and stout
common rafters. Mortices and peg-holes in the collar-beam show that it is the main transverse member of a
former hammer-beam collar truss from which all other
members have gone (cross-section B—B opposite). The
main supporting wall-posts have also gone, but the S.
post was attested by a vertical recess in a brick wall
which formerly encased and ultimately replaced it.
Resting on the W. eaves-plate of building iii is the E. end
of a moulded arcade-plate; the mortice for its brace is
seen in the 14th-century post directly underneath, and
the housing of the W. end of the plate is seen in the S.
part of the collar beam. The soot which encrusts the surviving roof timbers shows that the hall originally had an
open hearth, but this cannot have remained long in use
because an ovolo-moulded first-floor beam, resting on a
curved brace which must once have been morticed into
the missing S. wall posts, shows that the hall was
chambered over, perhaps towards the end of the 15th
century. In the 17th century a second floor (not shown
on drawing) was inserted, converting the hall into a three-storeyed range. This floor was jettied southwards and
the lower part of the hall roof was cut away and replaced by two hipped roofs, ridged N.–S.
v. Originally the E. part of the burgage plot contained
stables, but nothing remains of these. Towards the end
of the 19th century a Turkish bath of two storeys with
brick walls and flat roofs was built in the N.E. corner.
The octagonal bath hall was top-lit. This building was
demolished in 1974.
vi. South of the baths, the E. part of the plot was
occupied by a 17th-century building (perhaps the
original Plume of Feathers inn) of two storeys with
attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs. Greatly altered in
the 19th century, it was demolished in 1974. The W.
front was masked by a two-storeyed late 19th-century
extension with a lean-to roof, and the former plan of
both floors had been obliterated, but the 17th-century
roof with two W.-facing gables remained. A lead rainwater-head between the gables had billeted capping,
baluster-shaped corners and SE (? Samuel Eyre) 1689
embossed on the front; below were two flowers.
vii. The S. side of the plot contains a narrow two-storeyed building, mainly of the 18th century, but incorporating earlier work. Blocks of ashlar reused in the
S. wall probably came from the original burgage plot
boundary wall. Elsewhere the walls are of slender timber
framework with brick nogging. The roof is tiled. The
narrow first-floor room is jettied over the yard. At the
E. end of this range, in the space between buildings vi
and vii, an early 17th-century staircase (Plate 86) has
panelled, moulded and fretted newel posts, plain close
strings, stout balusters and a plain handrail. The original
flight of steps gave access to the first floor of building
vi and may well have been the principal entrance to the
inn. Early in the 18th century a second flight of steps
was added, branching from the 17th-century flight some
4 ft. above ground level and curving round to serve the
upper storey of building vii. The added staircase has
moulded close strings, slenderer turned balusters than
the original ones, moulded handrails and stout plain
newel posts with ball finials and turned pendants.
(133) House, No. 20 Queen Street, largely demolished
in 1974, was three-storeyed with brick walls and tiled
roofs and was mainly of the 18th century although
earlier features came to light at demolition. The site was
described in 1400 as 'a tenement and three shops opposite the Wool Market' when Thomas Boyton, bowyer,
the owner since 1361, bequeathed it to his cousin
William who kept it until c. 1420. (fn. 24)
The W. range, parallel with the street, retained elements of a timber-framed building perhaps of 15th-century origin; it had been altered in the 17th century
and was refronted in the 18th century. The drawing
room, stair hall and N. range were added about the
middle of the 18th century. The staircase (partly
preserved) is of outstanding quality (Plate 88). Lastly, c.
1840, the W. range was remodelled internally, but this
work was much inferior to that of the 18th century;
probably at this time the ground-floor rooms were
turned into shops. It appears that an 18th-century
scheme for the modernisation and enlargement of the
house on a rather grand scale was abortive and that
internal alterations in the W. range were not executed
until after the house had declined in status. At demolition
in 1974 the W. front and the stair hall were preserved for
incorporation with modern buildings.
The northern doorway in the six-bay W. front (Plate
101) opened into a passage which led to the stair hall
through a doorway below the N.W. quarter-landing of
the staircase. Another doorway further S., which led
from the stair hall to the shop, may originally have communicated with a vestibule centrally placed in the W.
range. The preserved staircase has carved and inlaid stepspandrels, column-shaped newel posts and balusters, and
marquetry enrichment in the quarter-landings. The N.
window has glass mainly of the late 19th century, but
including the arms of Walmsley, perhaps a reset 16th-century fragment; a 19th-century inscription commemorates Maude Walmsley, 1591. The staircase ceiling has
18th-century enrichment. The doorway from the stair
hall to the first-floor drawing room has fluted pilasters
and an entablature with a segmental broken pediment.
The demolished drawing room chimneypiece was
flanked by tall wooden pilasters with carved capitals;
the overmantel had carved foliage surrounding an
acanthus bracket (Plate 95). The ceiling had a heavily
moulded cornice and panelled enrichment.
(133) No. 20 Queen Street
Two first-floor rooms on the N. of the courtyard
were lined with pine panelling in two heights, with
moulded cornices, fielded panels and moulded dadorails. A fireplace surround had a pulvinated entablature
with laurel leaf enrichment.
A building of 1879 on the corner tenement adjoining monument (133) was largely demolished in 1975,
but its N. and W. fronts were preserved. In 1409 the
tenement, a burgage plot called Grandonescorner, was
sold by John Grandon to Thomas Bover, draper. (fn. 25) In
the 17th century the Three Lions Inn, a corporation
property, occupied the site. For a description of 1716,
see Sar. Corp. MS., 0/117/4, f. 64. In 1879 Pinkney's
Bank was built to designs by H. Hall, some rooms
being fitted with 17th-century woodwork brought
from elsewhere. (fn. 26)
(134) Building, Nos. 6 and 8 Winchester Street,
recently demolished, was of two storeys with brick walls
and a tiled roof. It was built in the late 18th or early
19th century. The lower storey contained shops and had
no notable features. In the upper storey the N. front had
eight plain sashed windows and a moulded eaves cove.
Inside, the stairs and fireplaces were of the 19th century.
(135) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 14 and 16 Winchester Street, are each three-storeyed with brick walls
and slate-covered roofs. They were built during the first
half of the 19th century.
(136) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 15 and 17 Milford
Street, now combined, are two-storeyed with attics and
have slate-hung timber-framed walls and tile-covered
roofs; they are of 16th-century origin, but much altered.
Inside, some original beams are seen; a first-floor room
in the E. house has an original doorway with chamfered
jambs. No doubt the roofs were formerly gabled on the
S., but the upper part of each gable is now hipped; they
have collared tie-beam trusses with queen-struts or
lower angle braces, and clasped purlins.
(137) House, No. 13 Milford Street, of three storeys
with timber-framed walls hung with mathematical tiles
and with a tiled roof, is of the late 18th or early 19th
(138) House, No. 11 Milford Street, of three storeys
with brick walls with cement quoins and with a tiled
roof, is of the early 18th century. In the S. front, above
a modern shop window, the second storey has a Palladian
window and the third storey has a sashed window of
(139) Cathedral Hotel, of four storeys with brick
walls and tiled roofs, is mainly of the 19th century and
later, but it incorporates a nucleus dating from the
second half of the 18th century. In the S. front the five
middle bays of the three lower storeys are original.
Inside, some ground-floor rooms have original wooden
dados with fielded panels. The oak staircase (Plate 89) is
original. Two first-floor rooms are lined with fielded
panelling in two heights, with moulded skirtings, dadorails and cornices. Old photographs (Lov. Cn. 145, 152)
show the S. front before the fourth storey was added.