Black Horse Chequer
Monuments in Black Horse Chequer.
(140) Houses, No. 21 Milford Street and No. 13
Brown Street, of two storeys with brick outer walls and
tiled roofs, are mainly of the 17th and 18th centuries,
but they occupy the site and include part of the roof of
The Bolehall, an important mediaeval dwelling identifiable through numerous documents. (fn. 1) The outline of the
mediaeval tenement, some 113 ft. (N.–S.) by 75 ft., is
recognisable in the boundaries on O.S., 1880; it was considerably larger than the normal burgage plot.
In 1319 Philip Aubyn, city coroner in 1303, transferred 'the tenement called the Bolehall in Wynchestret'
to Henry Borry (mayor 1323). (fn. 2) The surviving roof
probably belongs to Aubyn's house and is therefore, one
of the oldest documented domestic buildings in the city.
Later the house was associated with John Buterlegh,
draper, collector of Customs and Subsidy at South
ampton, 1385–90. (fn. 3) Buterlegh owned the Bolehall
from 1390 at latest and his name was still connected
with it in 1466–7. (fn. 4) In 1396 Buterlegh's executors
transferred the property to John Camel, grocer, (fn. 5) who
bequeathed it to his widow Alice as her 'free bench'. (fn. 6) In
1400 Alice Camel was one of Salisbury's most highly
assessed tax-paying citizens. (fn. 7) The Camels still had an
interest in the property in 1455 when quit rent was paid
by Johanna Camyl and two others. (fn. 8) The house may by
this time have been divided into two or more parts.
The correspondence between the surviving mediaeval
hall roof and a plan of the building made c. 1850 by
J.M. Peniston, (fn. 9) here reproduced, indicates an aisled hall
in the S. part of the tenement, parallel with Milford
Street, with cross-wings to E. and W. According to the
plan, the E. cross-wing and half of the former hall comprised Mr. Miles's house; the other half of the hall was
'late Burden's dwelling house'; the W. cross-wing was
Mrs. Maton's house. Today, the six E. bays of the S.
elevation have 17th-century brick facades with wooden
cornices and hipped, tile-covered roofs. There are two
18th-century windows; the others are modern. The E.
cross-wing has a modern roof. The W. cross-wing (Mrs.
Maton's) appears to have been rebuilt in the second half
of the 18th century; it has an approximately symmetrical W. front of five bays with a square-headed
central doorway and plain sashed windows.
Inside, in the part of the building formerly occupied
by Burden and Miles, the lower storeys have been
obliterated by modern shop fittings and nothing of
note is found on the ground and first floors. In the
attics, however, in the area where shading has been
added to Peniston's plan, three main trusses and 20 pairs
of collared rafters survive from the 14th-century hall
(140) No. 21 Milford Street, formerly The Bolehall
Plan of c. 1850. (Shading shows area of mediaeval roof.)
Only the upper part of the roof is visible and it is uncertain how much of the lower part may be concealed
by partitions. The main trusses are represented by three
massive cambered collar-beams (a), some 20 ft. above
ground level. The middle truss probably had arch-braces
and principal rafters which presumably rested on the N.
and S. walls of the former hall. Lying on the collar-beams
and overhanging them on either side are hollow-chamfered upper members (b) morticed to receive horizontal
diagonal braces. Large hollow-chamfered arcade-plates
are housed into the collar beams at either end; smaller
hollow-chamfered members (c) attached to them have
mortices for the diagonal braces. The central collar-beam
carries a chamfered crown-post with curved and chamfered braces supporting collar-purlins (d). The pair of
common rafters immediately E. of the middle collar-beam is cut and trimmed at the top to receive the
uprights of a former smoke-louvre.
(141) House, No. 5 Brown Street, of two storeys with
brick walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the first quarter
of the 19th century.
(142) Houses and Shops, Nos. 1 Brown Street and
18–22 Winchester Street, respectively of two and of
three storeys with brick walls, plain sashed windows and
tiled roofs, are the W. and N. ranges of the former Black
Horse Inn; (fn. 10) they were built c. 1770. (fn. 11) Part of the brick
pavement of the inn yard remains between the two
ranges, and the walled-up carriage entry from Winchester
Street is indicated by an elliptical arch in the N. front of
No. 18. Inside, some 18th-century joinery remains.
(143) House, No. 32 Winchester Street, of three
storeys with brick walls and a slated roof, is of the first
half of the 18th century. In the two-bay N. front the
original doorway has been reset beside a modern shop
window. The upper storeys have sashed windows, a
wooden plat-band and a bracketed eaves cornice.
(144) Houses, five adjoining, Nos. 34–42 Winchester
Street, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slated
roofs and date from the first half of the 19th century.
(145) Finch's Court, range of six uniform cottages of
two storeys with attics, has brick walls and tiled roofs.
Built towards the end of the 18th century, the cottages
are now uninhabited.
(146) Cottage, No. 6 Pennyfarthing Street, of two
storeys with an attic, has brick walls and a tiled roof and
was built c. 1830.
(147) Houses, range of four, Nos. 8–14 Pennyfarthing
Street, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slated
roofs and were built c. 1830.
(148) House, No. 16 Pennyfarthing Street, of two
storeys with brick walls and a tiled roof, was built c.
1800. The three-bay E. front has a pentice at the level of
the first floor.
(149) Cottages, pair, now a workshop, No. 18 Pennyfarthing Street, are two-storeyed with brick walls and
tiled roofs and date from early in the 19th century.
(150) House, now shops and three dwellings, Nos.
35–9 Milford Street, is of two storeys with brick walls
and tiled roofs and was built c. 1800. Above modern
shop fronts the S. elevation has five sashed windows
symmetrically arranged under a brick cornice and parapet. Inside, nothing noteworthy remains.
(151) Catherine Wheel Inn.
(151) Catherine Wheel Inn, Nos. 31–3 Milford
Street, partly of one and partly of two storeys, has rendered and tile-hung timber-framed walls and tiled roofs.
In the single-storeyed S. range (No. 33), parallel with the
street, a mutilated two-bay hall roof with a hammerbeam truss (A on the drawing) is probably of the 15th
century. The sides of the hall have been rebuilt in
recent years. Its E. end is defined by a partition truss (B).
Site Plan 1968
The cross-wing (No. 31) at the W. end of the hall is
jettied N. and S. at the first floor; the structure is hidden
by mathematical tiling, but it probably is of 17th-century origin. In 1968 the lower storey contained
a carriage through-way to the inn-yard on the N., as
shown on the plan, but the opening is now walled up. A
narrow range continuing the line of the cross-wing
northwards on the W. of the yard is also of the 17th
century; its first floor is jettied on the east. Further N.
are 18th-century outhouses. The N. side of the yard was
defined by a 16th-century stable range of which the W.
bay remains; its collared tie-beam roof has a lower
king-strut with curved braces.
The occupants of the five major tenements on the S.
side of Black Horse Chequer in 1399–1400 are known
from the taxation list; (fn. 12) the site of the Catherine Wheel
belonged to Richard Spencer, grocer, in his time probably one of the three richest men in Salisbury. In 1414 it
passed to his widow Edith as her 'free bench'. (fn. 13) Edith
then married William Cambrigg of London and in
1418 the tenement passed to Cambrigg's son, John
Warbilton, and to John Pervys, alderman and fishmonger
of London. (fn. 14) In 1419 the owner was Stephen
Lythenard. (fn. 15) In 1455 it was one of the many Salisbury
properties of William Ludlow. (fn. 16)
(152) House, No. 29 Milford Street, of three storeys
with rendered walls and tiled roofs, is of the late 18th
century. The ground-floor rooms have been altered for
conversion to a shop, but rooms on the first floor retain
(153) Milford Arms Inn, No. 25 Milford Street, of
two storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs,
is of 15th-century origin; the S. range is masked by a
19th-century six-bay facade of rendered brickwork.
The drawing shows the upper part of an original partition which is visible between the 4th and 5th bays
from W. An eastward continuation of the 15th-century
S. range may be concealed by plaster etc. in No. 27.
The N. wing of No. 25 appears to be of the 16th
century; it has timber framework in the upper storey
and a roof with a collared tie-beam truss with chamfered
purlins and curved wind-braces.
(153) Milford Arms Inn.
In 1390 the site of monuments (152–3), together
with Grove Place (see map, p. 89), was occupied by two
tenements belonging to Isabel, widow of John Cole;
from her they were acquired by Nicholas Harding
'Webbe' and they are clearly described in the will (1419)
by which Webbe bequeathed them to his sons Thomas
and William. A shop stood between the Hardings' dwelling, next to the Bolehall, and the other tenement. The
garden (Grove Place) extended to 'Gigorstrete' (Pennyfarthing Street) where there was a gateway flanked by
cottages. Thomas Harding died in 1446 and in 1459
William sold the whole property to the Dean and
Chapter. In 1466, to refute the claims of his bastard son,
William made a statement concerning these
transactions. (fn. 17)
(154) Warehouse, of two storeys with brick and
weather-boarded walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the
first half of the 19th century.