Monuments in Trinity Chequer.
(227) Star Inn, at the S.W. corner of the chequer, is
two-storeyed with rendered and tile-hung walls and with
tiled roofs. Of mid 16th-century origin, but extensively
rebuilt in recent years, it replaces the 14th-century
Rydedore (Raie d'or) inn. The earliest deed, 1331,
indicates that the tenement of Clement atte Rydedore
extended from the street corner to the town ditch (here
spanned by Blakebrigge). In 1390 the corner tenement
was bought for 60 marks by John Chaundiler, sen.; it
probably passed from him to Trinity Hospital. (fn. 1) Part of
the roof has collared tie-beam trusses with clasped
purlins. Plans of c. 1850 are preserved. (fn. 2)
(228) House, No. 65 Brown Street, is two-storeyed
with attics and has brick walls and tiled roofs; it dates
from c. 1700. The close-string dog-leg staircase has stout
moulded oak handrails, fretted and shaped splats and
beaded newel posts.
(229) Cottage, No. 49 Brown Street, demolished in
1972, was a 16th-century building of two storeys with
slate-hung timber-framed walls and a tiled roof. The
through-passage on the N. retained its original W. door.
Inside, some chamfered beams and jowl-headed posts
were seen. The back wing was of the 19th century.
(230) Nos. 37–9 Brown Street
(230) Houses, pair, Nos. 39 and 37 Brown Street,
demolished in 1965, were two-storeyed with attics and
had brick walls and tiled roofs. The main range was of
the mid 18th century (Plate 73); the service wing on the
E. of the S. house was of 16th-century origin. The W.
front was originally symmetrical, but during the 19th
century a ground-floor window in No. 37 was suppressed
and the doorway was moved northwards to make way
for the entrance to a through-passage formed between
the two houses.
Inside, the W. rooms in both storeys of No.39 retained
18th-century panelling in two heights, with moulded
skirtings, dados and cornices. An 18th-century staircase
with close strings and turned balusters in No. 37 may
have been moved when the through-passage was formed.
The E. wing of No. 39 had timber-framed walls. The
first floor was originally jettied on the north, but the
jetty had been under-built.
(231) House, No. 20 Milford Street, of two storeys
and an attic, has rendered walls and a tiled roof and is of
the 18th century although much altered in recent times.
The building occupies part of 'the angle tenement
opposite the Bolehall', the rent of which (30s. p.a.) was
given to the city in 1370 by Wm. Wichford. (fn. 3) The tenement appears in the earliest survey of city lands (1618),
but was sold during the Commonwealth. (fn. 4)
(232) Houses, Nos. 24, 26 and 30 Milford Street, are
of three and two storeys with brick walls and slated
roofs. No. 24 was formerly the Goat Inn and is mentioned
in a document of 1618; (fn. 5) it still bore the name in 1880
(O.S.). Building work in 1976 revealed that the three-storeyed N. range of No. 24, parallel with the street, had
been rebuilt c. 1820, probably after a fire (charred
timbers). The previous N. range had been two-storeyed
and probably of the 16th century; a collared tie-beam
truss with clasped purlins remained in the E. party wall
together with the independant roof truss of No. 26. On
the ground floor, to E., the N. range of No. 24 had a
narrow carriage through-way leading to a small yard. On
the W. of the yard the first three bays of the S. range of
No. 24 retained timber framework, perhaps of c. 1500;
the range was originally two-storeyed, with the first
floor jettied to E. Early in the 18th century the jetty
was under-built and the S. bay of the range was added.
The two middle bays of the range probably became a
dining room; the S. fireplace in this room had an eared
timber surround, an enriched frieze and a moulded
cornice. In c. 1820 the upper storey of the S. range was
rebuilt and a third storey was added.
(233) Inn, No. 32 Milford Street, of two storeys with
brick walls and tiled roofs, dates from late in the 15th
century. The walls were originally timber-framed and a
few timbers remain in the upper storey. The roof has
three original collared tie-beam trusses with curved
braces and king-struts.
The Town Ditch, coming from the W. along Milford
Street (map, p. xxxv), turned at this point to flow S.
through the middle of the chequer and passed beneath
the house. In 1416 the reversion of the property was left
to the mayor and commonalty by John Beckot, to keep
his obit, whence Beckot's name appears in the bede roll
of St. George's Guild. (fn. 6) In 1431, when the city acquired
the property by royal licence, it was occupied by Walter
Short and was described as the tenement 'where the
water of the common ditch runs under the chamber'. (fn. 7)
In the chamberlain's accounts (1475–85) the lessee was
John Wyse, vintner. (fn. 8) The next house to E., also Beckot's,
was described in 1418 as a tenement with a small garden
and within the tenement, a building with a solar next to
the watercourse; (fn. 9) both houses evidently made use of the
Town Ditch, a major amenity. Both tenements had
belonged to Gilbert de Wychebury in 1357 and to his
son Nicholas in 1361. Nicholas Wychebury 'dictus
Bakere' died in 1391 leaving the properties (one of
which he inhabited) to his son John Bakere, grocer,
otherwise known as John Salisbury. John Salisbury's
contribution to the Taxation List of 1399–1400, the
largest of any citizen's, indicates his great wealth. He
was mayor five times and died in 1405. (fn. 10)
(234) House, No. 34 Milford Street, with brick walls
with ashlar dressings and with tiled roofs, appears to be
the surviving part of a larger building. The elevations are
of the 18th century, but 17th-century plasterwork inside
appears to be in situ.
The N. front, with stone quoins, a moulded cornice
and stringcourses between the storeys, is in two parts:
on the E., two bays with plain sashed windows in the
upper storeys have a modern shop-front below; on the
W., a single bay slightly set back has a sashed window in
each storey. Evidently the facade has been truncated; if
symmetrical it would have had seven bays, i.e., a recessed
central range of three bays flanked by two-bay projections. The E. elevation has a pedimented doorway flanked
by Tuscan columns and sashed windows in three storeys.
Inside, the N.E. ground-floor room has 17th-century oak
panelling and a ribbed plaster ceiling (Plate 93) of four
panels defined by intersecting beams. Other ground-floor
rooms have 18th-century fittings.
In 1366 Wm. Teynturer junior acquired this corner
tenement, then called Stratfordescorner, from Edward
Glastyngbury. (fn. 11) From 1397 to 1410 it was occupied by
William Hull and in 1416 it was called 'Glastyngburiecorner sive Stratfordescorner'. (fn. 12) Teynturer in 1366
already owned the land adjacent on the W.; it was acquired by the city in 1413 under royal licence and
appears in the earliest city rental (1412–3) as 'the tenement near the angle tenement formerly of Wm. Hull in
Wynchestrestret - rent 20s. p.a.'. (fn. 13) In the chamberlain's
account rolls (1475–85) it is called 'le bakehouse
formerly held by William Martyn, baker, for 20s. p.a.,
now leased to John Wyse, vintner'. (fn. 14) It does not, however, occur in the 17th and 18th-century surveys of city
lands. The Methodist Chapel shown on O.S., 1880
occupies parts of both tenements acquired by William
Teynturer in the 14th century. The still recognisable
westward projection of the 'bakehous' tenement to the
Town Ditch is, no doubt, an original feature.
(235) Anchor Inn, of two storeys with walls originally of timber framework, but largely rebuilt in brickwork, and with a tiled roof, is of 16th-century origin.
Inside, a first-floor room has an 18th-century fireplace
(236) Cottages, three adjacent, Nos. 13–17 Trinity
Street, are two-storeyed with attics and have timber-framed walls faced with brickwork, and tiled roofs. Of
early 17th-century origin, they were altered in the 19th
century when the roofs were rebuilt at a higher level.
Inside, a jowl-headed post and an original cambered tie-beam are built into the partition between No. 13 and
Six shops on the W. of 'the ditch of the house of
Holy Trinity' were given to Trinity Hospital by John
Chaundeler in 1400. In 1638 a tenement in this position
was leased to John Trewman, tailor. (fn. 15)
Plate 14 includes a copy of an early photograph in
Salisbury Museum showing the destruction in 1878 of a
15th-century hall with an elaborately decorated false
hammerbeam collar-truss roof. The building stood
immediately E. of (27) Trinity Hospital, on ground now
occupied by Nos. 19–21 Trinity Street. In 1384 a house
adjoining the hospital on the E. had been owned by
Thomas and Alice le Eyr; they agreed never to obstruct
the E. window of the hospital chapel. In 1452 and 1473
the 'capital tenement' next to the hospital belonged to
William Pynkebrygge. In 1767 it appears to have been
Sir John Webb's. (fn. 16)