Monuments in Rolfe's and Barnard's Cross Chequers.
(237) Inn, at the S.W. corner of the chequer, is three-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and
was built c. 1840.
(238) Cottages, range of four, Nos. 91–7 Gigant
Street, are two-storeyed with attics and have rendered
brick walls and tiled roofs. They appear to be of the
early 19th century.
(239) House, No. 40 Milford Street, demolished in
1958, was of two storeys with tile-hung timber-framed
walls and tiled roofs; it was of the late 16th or early
17th-century. The S. wing, of c. 1800, occupied a plot
shown empty on Naish's map of 1716. The original
building comprised two parallel N.-S. ranges, each
three bays long. The first floor was formerly jettied to
N. and W., but the jetties had been under-built.
(240) House and Cottage, Nos. 42 and 44 Milford
Street, are respectively of three and two storeys and
have brick walls and tiled roofs. They are largely of the
late 17th century, but the ground floor of No. 42
appears to include the remains of a 15th-century structure. In the N. front plaster rustication masks the lower
storey of No. 42; above, a projecting window with a
shaped lead roof with a ball finial, symmetrically
arranged sashed windows and a moulded eaves cornice
provide a facade of some dignity for what may originally
have been a humble dwelling. Inside, the ground-floor
room of No. 42 is spanned by a deeply chamfered beam.
The N. room on the first floor has a moulded plaster
cornice and late 17th-century joinery. The roof of a
two-storeyed rear wing, demolished in 1974, had a
collared tie-beam truss with a king-strut. In No. 44, a
large chimneybreast against the E. wall of No. 42 was
built with reused ashlar blocks. A chamfered oak beam
supporting the first floor was also reused. Both dwellings
were modernised in 1974.
(241) Cottage, No. 46, of two storeys with timber-framed walls faced with brickwork and with a tiled roof,
is of early 15th-century origin. It was much altered in
the 19th century and again in 1974. The roof has been
raised, but an original gable truss surviving at the W. end
has a cambered tie-beam and curved angle braces.
(242) House, Nos. 56–8 Milford Street, of three
storeys with brick and timber-framed walls and with
tiled roofs, is of late 16th or early 17th-century origin.
The four-bay N. front, with plain sashed windows in
each storey, was added in the 18th century; a modern
shop window replaces two bays of the lower storey.
Inside, some stout timber posts and fragments of 17th-century panelling are seen, also an 18th-century
bolection-moulded fireplace surround. In the 19th
century the building was divided into several tenements.
It is now a workshop.
(243) House, Nos. 42–4 Culver Street, demolished
in 1973, was two-storeyed and had brick-faced timber-framed walls and a tiled roof. The building was probably
of 16th-century origin, but it had been extensively rebuilt
in the 18th century when it was divided into two
(244) Houses, range of five, Nos. 46–54 Culver
Street, demolished in 1973, were of three storeys with
brick walls and slated roofs. They were of the first half
of the 19th century.
(245) House, No. 80 Culver Street, demolished in
1973, was of two storeys with brick walls and a tiled
roof and was of late 18th or early 19th-century origin.
(246) Factory, demolished in 1974, of two storeys
with a cellar, had brick walls and an iron roof. Although
much altered the building was probably of 18th-century
origin. The cellar had an elliptical brick vault.