Three Swans Chequer
(345) Warehouse, No. 5 Winchester Street, formerly
part of the Three Swans Hotel, (fn. 1) is of three storeys with
brick walls and tiled roofs and was built probably c.
1770. (fn. 2) The five-bay S. front has, on the E., the opening
to a carriage through-way; above it are Palladian windows in both upper storeys; elsewhere there are plain
sashed windows. Above are a heavy brick cornice and a
shaped pediment. Inside, some 18th-century chimneypieces remain.
Monuments in Three Swans Chequer.
(346) House, No. 2 Endless Street, now a shop and
warehouse, is three-storeyed with brick walls and tiled
roofs and appears to be mainly of the first half of the
18th century; a two-storeyed wing on the N. is of 17th-century origin. Above modern shop windows the fourbay S. front, flanked by large pilasters, has two storeys
of plain sashed windows. Inside, some rooms have
moulded cornices and panelled dados. The S. wall of the
N. wing is of 17th-century timber framework.
(347) House, No. 12 Endless Street, now two-storeyed
but formerly of three storeys, has brick walls and tiled
roofs; it is of mid 18th-century origin, but has been
much altered. The five-bay W. front was originally
symmetrical, with a central doorway with a wooden
pediment and with sashed windows with keystones.
Several of the windows have been blocked and two have
been raised and enlarged to correspond with altered
floor-levels. Inside, some original panelled dados remain.
(348) Warehouses, two, standing end-to-end on the
S. side of Salt Lane, are two-storeyed with brick walls
and tiled roofs. Some internal timber framework, with
jowl-headed posts supporting collared tie-beam trusses,
suggests that the buildings are of 16th-century origin.
Late in the 18th century the exterior was rebuilt in
brickwork, with plain segmental-headed openings. (Demolished, 1978.)
(349) House, of two storeys with brick walls and a
tiled roof, dates from the second half of the 18th
century. In the E. front the upper storey retains six
uniform sashed windows; below, the openings have been
altered and the position of the original doorway is
unknown. The interior has been entirely modernised.
(350) Old George Inn, at the S.E. corner of the
chequer, is two-storeyed with attics and has rendered
brick walls and tiled roofs. Some beams and roof-trusses
appear to be of c. 1500; the facades were rebuilt about
the middle of the 17th century and the windows were
remodelled c. 1800 (Plate 79). The central doorway in
the approximately symmetrical S. front has fluted
wooden columns supporting a flat hood with foliate
enrichment. Some ground-floor windows have keystones
with human masks. The E. gable of the S. range has two
blocked 17th-century oval windows with hollow-chamfered stone surrounds. Inside, the first-floor rooms
in the W. range have chamfered ceiling beams with
shaped stops. The oak stairs from the first floor to the
attic are of the 17th century, with heavy turned balusters,
close strings and plain newel posts (Plate 87); lower, the
staircase is of c. 1800. The roofs have collared tie-beam
trusses supporting chamfered purlins.