(363) Houses, row of three, Nos. 2–6 St. Edmund's
Church Street, are three-storeyed and have brick walls
and slate-covered roofs. They were built early in the
19th century and in elevation resemble monument (157).
(364) Houses, pair, Nos. 8 and 10, are of two storeys
with attics and have brick walls with stone dressings and
tiled roofs. They date probably from late in the 17th
century and appear to have originated as one house with
a W. front of five bays. The central openings are masked
by rendering, but part of the former first-floor window
is seen internally. The house was divided into two
dwellings about the middle of the 19th century.
Monuments in Griffin Chequer.
(365) House, No. 14, of two storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of 16th-century origin,
but it has been much altered. Divided at one time into
two cottages, they were united c. 1930.
(366) Cottages, pair, Nos. 16 and 18, of two storeys
with attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs, date from
early in the 18th century. Inside, chamfered beams and
some original joinery remain.
(367) Cottages, two adjacent, Nos. 20 and 22, have
been formed from a single house with brick walls and
tiled roofs which remained undivided until 1880 (O.S.).
The building is of the late 18th century.
(368) House, No. 24 St. Edmund's Church Street, of
two storeys with attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs,
is mainly of c. 1700. The central doorway of the
symmetrical five-bay W. front (Plate 72) and the projecting window over it are of c. 1800, as is an additional
bay on the S.; the moulded timber eaves-cornice with
modillions is original. Inside, the stairs have original
close strings, moulded handrails and square newel posts,
but the plain balustrades are modern. The S.W. ground-floor room of the original house has a moulded timber
cornice; first-floor rooms have contemporary plaster
cornices. A first-floor room has a chamfered beam with
shaped stops. The roof has collared trusses with two
purlins on each side.
(369) Five Bells Inn, at the N.W. corner of the
chequer, is of two storeys with brick walls and tiled
roofs. The elevations have been refaced, but beams inside
suggest that the building is of 18th-century origin.
Stables to the S. are of c. 1800.
(370) House, No. 30 Salt Lane, of two storeys with
attics, has timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and dates
from the 16th century, but it has been extensively
altered. The N. front is modern. The N. range of the L—
shaped plan, parallel with the street, originally had a
carriage through-way in the E. bay leading to a yard, but
all three bays of the lower storey have now been obliterated to make a shop. In the upper storey the W. wall of
the N. range retains timber framework with curved
braces; above, the gable has a collar-beam, lower anglebraces and a king-strut. The S. range contains a large
chimneybreast, perhaps original, against the W. wall.
Timber framework with curved braces is exposed
(371) Cottage, No. 48 Salt Lane, demolished c. 1970,
was two-storeyed with brick walls and a tiled roof. It
was of the early 19th century.
(372) Barley Mow Inn, partly of two and partly of
three storeys with cellars, has brick walls and slated and
tiled roofs, it was built early in the 19th century. A
single-storeyed range on the N., formerly a malthouse, is
probably of 18th-century origin.
(373) Cottage, No. 31 Greencroft Street, of two
storeys with brick walls and a tiled roof, is of c. 1850.
(374) Anchor and Hope Inn, Nos. 59–61 Winchester
Street, of two storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled
roofs, is of 16th-century origin. The four-bay S. range
was rebuilt in the 19th century. At the rear, wings
flanking a narrow court retain much timber framework;
the first floor of the E. wing is jettied on the west. The
adjacent house on the E., No. 63, a two-storeyed brick
building of c. 1800, appears originally to have contained
stables associated with the inn.
(375) House, No. 57 Winchester Street, of two
storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs, dates from c.
(376) No. 55 Winchester Street
Section, looking W.
(376) Cottages, range of three, Nos. 51–5 Winchester
Street, are two-storeyed with brick walls and slated
roofs. Externally they appear to be of the 19th century,
but recent stripping of plaster in No. 55 has revealed
earlier features. The party-wall between No. 53 and No.
55 contains the timbers of a cruck truss, probably of the
15th century. The N. cruck blade cannot be seen, but
the other main members are exposed. The S. purlin has
wholly gone; that on the N. is represented by a short
length of original beam (P) clasped between the collar-beam and the upper rafters; its deeply weathered W.
extremity shows that the ground to W. was originally
open, hence the truss in question is the W. end of a
former building on the site of No. 55, not the E. end of
No. 53. Nos. 51–3 were added, probably late in the
15th or early in the 16th century; internally, however,
all timbers are cased and no significant features are seen.
In the 16th century the cruck house was replaced by
the existing No. 55 which has a two-bay roof with three
smoke-blackened collared tie-beam trusses. A chimney-stack was inserted at the E. end of No. 55 in the 17th