White Horse Chequer
Monuments in White Horse Chequer.
(381) No. 26 Castle Street
(381) House, No. 26 Castle Street, of three storeys
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, was built early
in the 19th century; the Rate Books indicate occupation
from 1808. The three-bay W. front is separated from the
road by a narrow forecourt defined by original iron
railings; scrolled ironwork over the gate is modern. The
round-headed doorway has a semicircular flat hood
supported on Tuscan columns (Plate 99). Inside, the
stairs have mahogany handrails and plain iron uprights.
The main rooms have plasterwork and joinery, often
with reeded decoration.
A plan of 1849 by J.M. Peniston (fn. 1) shows a service
range and a garden to E., and other buildings flanking a
courtyard which extended S. to Chipper Lane. Old
photographs are preserved. (fn. 2) .
(382) Hotel, of three storeys with brick walls and
slate-covered roofs, was built c. 1850. The three-bay W.
front has plain sashed windows.
(383) Toone's Court, a group of 16th-century buildings recently demolished, comprised Nos. 12, 14 and 18
Scot's Lane together with five small tenements flanking
a court on the S. (Plate 65). The buildings were of one
and two storeys and had timber-framed walls, partly
rendered and partly hung with mathematical tiles; in
places 18th-century brickwork replaced the timber
framework. The roofs were tiled. The W. part of No. 12
was of the 19th century; the E. part was contained in
the westernmost bay of a 16th-century two-storeyed
range of five bays, jettied N. at the first floor, but with
the jetty partly under-built in the lower storey. No. 14
comprised the second and third bays of the 16th-century
range, but in the lower storey a through-passage giving
access to the court occupied part of the third bay. The
fourth and fifth bays of the range, constituting No. 18,
had been refronted in brickwork in the 18th century,
but part of the original framework remained inside. At
right-angles to the street range, on the E. side of the
court, a 16th-century range containing three cottages
(Nos. 1–3) had originally been a single-storeyed building,
probably a workshop. In the 18th or 19th century it was
converted into cottages by inserting partitions, the S.
chimney-stack, the upper floor and the staircases; in the
roof, two original tie-beams were cut away and their
ends were stiffened by sling-braces. Nos. 4 and 5, on the
W. side of the court, had been largely rebuilt in the 19th
century, but they retained elements of original timber
framework. Timbers in the roof of No. 12 suggested that
the roof of Nos. 4 and 5 formerly extended northwards
to a gable on the street front.
(383) Toone's Court.
Inside, the open fireplace in No. 14 had a reused
stone lintel, moulded underneath and probably taken
from a 15th-century fireplace. The masonry of the
chimneybreast incorporated a number of carved stones
brought from elsewhere (probably Old Sarum), with
12th-century chevron decoration etc.; some of the
stones had originally been voussoirs. A small 12th-century
capital with volutes was reset at the S.W. corner of the
through-passage. Reset in the lower part of the stairs of
No. 14 was a 16th-century doorway with a chamfered
ogee lintel. The large open fireplace in No. 1 had chamfered stone jambs and a chamfered oak bressummer; it
was evidently a feature of the original single-storeyed
range, serving the presumed workshop.
The roof of Nos. 12, 14 and 18 had collared tie-beam
trusses with king-struts and lower angle-struts. The tiebeams were tenoned and braced to the jowl-headed posts
and dovetailed into the wall-plates (see sketch).
(384) House, No. 37 Endless Street, of three storeys
with brick walls and a tiled roof, was built during the
first half of the 18th century. The E. front has a 19th-century shop window on the ground floor and five bays
of plain sashed windows in the two upper storeys. Inside,
the pinewood stairs have open strings, turned balusters
and moulded handrails.
(385) House and Shop, No. 29, of three storeys with
brick walls and a slated roof, is of c. 1850. In 1977 a
15th-century timber-framed wall came to light between
this house and No. 27 (386).
(386) House, No. 27, of three storeys with brick
walls and a slated roof, is of c. 1830. Incorporated with
the two-bay E. front, an elliptical-headed archway
formerly gave access to Curtis's Court, demolished c.
1965. Further S., the facade of No. 27 covers part of the
E. front of the adjacent house (387), including its
(387) House, No. 23, of two storeys and an attic, has
brick and tile-hung walls and slate-covered roofs. Of
early 17th-century origin it retains a six-bay roof of that
period. Inside, plasterwork and joinery are of the mid
(388) House, No. 21, of two storeys and an attic,
with walls of brick, rubble and flint and with tiled roofs,
is of the late 17th century.
(389) House, No. 19, of three storeys with brick
walls and a slated roof, was built c. 1800. The E. front is
of three bays with plain sashed windows in each storey;
in the N. bay of the lower storey is a round-headed
doorway with a pedimented hood. Inside, the stairs have
a mahogany handrail, turned newels and plain balusters.
Photographs of No. 17 Endless Street, a substantial
18th-century house which formerly occupied the S.E.
corner of the chequer, are in the Lovibond Collection