Monuments in Parsons Chequer.
(404) Rolleston Place, terrace of four cottages, is
two-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs.
On O.S., 1880 it appears as the W. range of Tinney's
Court. A tablet with an inscription of 1844 (?) at the
centre of the W. front indicates the probable date of
Frowd's Almshouses, see (33).
(405) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 26–8 Bedwin
Street, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and were built during the first quarter of
the 19th century. In each house the N. front is of one
bay. No. 28 has a mid 19th-century bow window in the
(406) House, No. 30, of two storeys with brick walls
and tiled roofs, appears to date from early in the 18th
century. The N. front is symmetrical and of three bays,
with a central doorway, plain sashed windows and a
blind recess over the doorway. A moulded brick string-course marks the level of the first floor. Inside, several
rooms are lined with 18th and early 19th-century
(407) House, No. 32, of three storeys with brick
walls and slate-covered roofs, was built c. 1840.
(408) House, No. 34, of two storeys with rendered
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of 16th-century
origin, but it has been extensively altered. The N. front
is jettied at the first floor. Inside, some original ceiling
beams are exposed.
Taylor's Almshouses, see (32).
(409) House, No. 42 St. Edmund's Church Street, of
two and three storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs,
dates probably from 1787, the date on a lead rainwaterhead on the N. wall. The E. front is approximately
symmetrical and of seven bays, with a round-headed
central doorway and plain sashed windows; a doorway
in the N. bay presumably gave access to the original
service range. Inside, the two-storeyed E. range has a
class–T plan. The three-storeyed W. range was added in
the 19th century. Several rooms in the E. range have
original chimney pieces; one has neo-classical enrichment.
The stairs are of the 19th century.