Monuments (470–4) on the N. side of Bedwin Street
appear on the maps of Gore's and Parsons Chequers,
pp. 144 and 146.
(470) Royal George Inn, No. 17, of two storeys with
timber-framed and brick walls and with a tiled roof, is
of 15th-century origin, but has been extensively altered.
The S. front has early 19th-century square-headed sashed
windows in the lower storey and segmental-headed
casement windows above. Timber framework is exposed
in the N. elevation. Inside, the two middle bays of the
four-bay range are original and have a roof of three tie-beam trusses with cambered collars, king-struts, lower
and upper angle braces and wind-braces. A first-floor
doorway has a 17th-centry oak frame with chip-carving.
(471) House, No. 31, of two storeys with an attic,
has rendered brick walls and a tiled roof and is of the
late 18th or early 19th century.
(472) House, No. 33, of two storeys with attics, has
brick walls and tiled roofs and dates from the second
half of the 18th century. The five-bay S. front is approximately symmetrical, with a pedimented central doorway,
square-headed sashed windows with keystones, and a
moulded string-course. The W. bay of the lower storey
contains a service through-passage. The house was
extensively refitted in the 19th century and the N. wing
(473) Houses, pair, Nos. 35–7, are two-storeyed
with attics and have brick walls and tiled roofs; they
were built during the second half of the 18th century.
The upper storey of the S. elevation has four plain
sashed windows and a parapet with a dentil cornice; the
lower storey of No. 35 has a modern shop-window.
(474) House, No. 45, of two storeys with brick walls
and a tiled roof, was built early in the 19th century. In
the lower storey the two-bay S. front has a round-headed
doorway and a three-light sashed window; above are a
single plain sashed window and a projecting window of
three sashed lights.
The Town of Fisherton Anger, Wilts
(475) School, built in 1860, 70 yds. N. of the foregoing, incorporates part of a late 15th-century roof
from the former Maidenhead Inn (25). (fn. 1) It has four
false hammer-beam collar trusses and is largely of 1860,
but moulded wall-plates, chamfered purlins and cusped
windbracing are in part original.
Reset in the same building is a 15th-century carved
stone fireplace with a roll-moulded elliptical head in an
ogee-moulded square surround under a frieze of five
quatrefoil panels enclosing plain ribbed shields; above,
the moulded cornice includes a blank scroll and a deep
hollow-chamfer with spaced leaf bosses. This also comes
from the Maidenhead Inn.
FISHERTON AND ST. PAUL WARDS
Until brought into Salisbury by the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 and subsequent legislation, Fisherton
was an independent parish with its own church (7) and
parochial administration. (fn. 2) The map on p. 156 is based
on the Tithe Map of 1843. (fn. 3) Monuments not covered by
this map are enumerated on the general map in the