(476) Ashlar Walls, part of the Gaol which stood
from the 16th century until about 1840 on the W. bank
of the R. Avon, immediately S. of Fisherton Bridge,
probably date from 1783 when Quarter Sessions ordered
the construction of 24 new cells. (fn. 1) The two surviving
walls, of finely dressed ashlar with moulded plinths and
a weathered and hollow-chamfered string-course, include
two small iron-barred windows. Reset in the masonry is
a small stone panel carved to represent gyves (Plate 20);
probably it was the embellishment of a doorway. Above
rises a clock-tower of 1890.
After the construction of the County Gaol (24) in
1818–22 the old gaol buildings were used for a short
time as part of the Infirmary (22). The greater part had
been demolished by 1843 (Tithe Map).
(477) House, No. 32 Fisherton Street, called 'Genl.
Michell's' on the Tithe Map, is of two storeys with attics
and has brick walls and tiled roofs. Dating probably
from the second quarter of the 18th century, it has been
used as a shop and somewhat disfigured; nevertheless
several original features remain. In the S.W. front the
square-headed doorway with a panelled and bolection-moulded surround, and three plain sashed windows
survive; above is a moulded cornice and parapet. Inside,
the plan was originally of class U. The S. room on the
ground floor retains a plaster ceiling with delicate rococo
enrichment. The main stairs have Tuscan-column balustrades and dados with fielded panelling. On the first-floor
landing is an archway with a moulded and enriched
elliptical head and panelled jambs. The staircase ceiling
has an acanthus cornice and a mask surrounded by a
sun-burst. Several first-floor rooms have 18th-century
(478) House, No. 40, of two storeys with slate-hung
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of the early 16th
century. The plan is L—shaped, with a S. range parallel
to the road and a rear wing on the north. The roof of the
S. range is said to have arch-braced trusses, but is
inaccessible; the S. elevation is masked by a modern
front. In the N. wing the upper storey was originally
jettied on the E., but it has been under-built. The N.
gable is masked by an early 19th-century extension.
Inside, a ground-floor room in the S. part of the N. wing
has a stone fireplace surround with a four-centred head.
The next room on the N. has original moulded timber
wall-plates and intersecting moulded beams forming a
ceiling of four panels; the walls have oak panelling,
probably of 17th-century origin, altered in the 18th
century; the fireplace and a doorway are flanked by
fluted pilasters. In its original form the 19th-century
N. extension comprised a first-floor room supported on
iron columns over an open porch, but the porch has
been enclosed to make a ground-floor room.
(479) Houses, range of four, Nos. 21–7, on the S.
side of the street, are three-storeyed with rendered
brick walls and slate-covered roofs; they appear to have
been built early in the 19th century. Above modern
shop-windows each storey of the N. front has uniform
square-headed sashed windows.
(480) Houses, range of five, Nos. 29–39 (No. 35 is a
through-passage giving access to an adjacent building
(481)), are two-storeyed with attics and have brick walls
and tiled roofs. They appear to have been built early in
the 19th century and originally were approximately
uniform. In the N. fronts the lower storeys have modern
shop-windows, but the upper storeys retain original
square-headed sashed windows with keystones.
(481) Club Room, originally a Primitive Methodist
Chapel, is of one storey and has rendered brick walls and
a slate-covered roof. Built in 1826, it was extended on
the S.W. after 1843 (V.C.H., Wilts. vi, 193). The hall is
lit by round-headed windows, formerly with timber
mullions and pointed casements.
(482) Houses, range of three, Nos. 41–5, are two-storeyed and have brick walls and tiled roofs. They were
built towards the end of the 18th century, but have been
(483) House, No. 47, of two storeys with attics, has
rendered and tile-hung timber-framed walls, and tiled
roofs in two ranges ridged N.E.—S.W. It is of 16th-century
origin, but the ground floor has been extensively altered.
The upper storey and attics are derelict.
(484) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 55–7, of two
storeys with attics, have rendered brick walls and tiled
roofs. They were built during the first half of the 18th
century and have plain N. street-fronts, each with two
sashed first-floor windows; the lower storeys have
modern shop-windows. On the ground floor the houses
are separated by a covered through-passage giving access
to a yard.
(485) House, divided into three tenements (Nos.
59–63) during the late 18th or early 19th century, is
two-storeyed with rendered brick walls and tiled roofs;
it was built about the middle of the 17th century. The
N. elevation has a 19th-century facade of three bays; the
S. side is masked by outbuildings. Inside, the original
plan has gone, but a staircase retains a short length of
original balustrade with three upright planks profiled to
represent balusters. The original roof has four stout
collared tie-beam trusses with lower king-struts and
principals with deep chamfers.
(486) Cottage, No. 65, of two storeys with attics, has
timber-framed walls cased in brickwork and a tiled roof.
It is probably of late 16th or early 17th-century origin,
but little remains of the original structure. The stairs
retain three profiled uprights as in monument (485). A
few rough-hewn members of timber framework are
(487) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 67–9, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and
were built during the first half of the 19th century.
(488) Cottage, No. 96, on the N. of the street, is of
two periods. The N.E. wing, single-storeyed with an attic,
with timber-framed walls cased in brickwork and with a
tiled roof, is of the 17th century. The part of the house
which fronts the street is two-storeyed with brick walls
and a slated roof and dates from c. 1800. Inside, the
N.E. room has an exposed beam.
(489) House, No. 102, of two storeys with brick
walls and a slate-covered roof, is of the 19th century
but earlier than 1843 (Tithe Map). The S. front has three
plain sashed windows in the upper storey.
(490) House, No. 79, of three storeys with brick
walls and slated roofs, was built after 1843 and has
recently been demolished.
(491) Cottage, No. 81, of two storeys with brickcased timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, is perhaps of
c. 1600. The lower storey is occupied by a modern shop;
the upper part of the N.E. front has two 18th-century
sashed windows; The roof has chamfered purlins, but all
other features are concealed. O.S., 1880 names it the
(492) No. 93 Fisherton Street
Section, looking E.
(492) Cottages, range of three, Nos. 89–93, originally single-storeyed with attics, but now two-storeyed,
have brick-cased timber-framed walls and tile-covered
roofs. The cottages were probably built in the 16th
century. In the 18th century the N.E. fronts were cased
in brickwork and the attics were made into upper
storeys. Both blades of an open cruck truss are seen in
the wall between Nos. 91 and 93. Masonry with a large
socketed stone at the W. corner of No. 89 is perhaps the
footing for another cruck, now gone.
(493) House and Shop, No. 95, of three storeys with
brick walls and a slate-covered roof, were built during
the first half of the 19th century.
(494) King's Arms Inn, of two storeys with rendered
brick walls and a slate-covered roof, is of 18th-century
origin, but it was extensively altered in the 19th century
Hayter's Almshouses, see (30).