List of maps and other text figures

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of maps and other text figures', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15122 Date accessed: 28 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF MAPS AND OTHER TEXT FIGURES

All the maps were produced by Roger Massey-Ryan and Ian Bell of the Essex County Council Planning Division from drafts prepared by Janet Cooper, Shirley Durgan, and C. C. Thornton; unless otherwise stated they are based on Ordnance Survey 6-inch maps (1881 edn.). For permission to reproduce material in their possession thanks are offered to the Essex Record Office (E.R.O.), Roger Freeman, Esq., Brian Harrison, Esq., and the Rector and Churchwardens of Wivenhoe.

Figure page
1. Essex Victoria County History: key to volumes published. xvii
2. Lexden Hundred c. 1880. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) 2
3. Lexden Hundred c. 1880: major roads, railways, and rivers. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) 3
4. Aldham c. 1840. From tithe map, c. 1839 10
5. Aldham church porch. From J. H. Parker, Gothic Architecture (1850) 21
6. West Bergholt c. 1880. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) and documentary evidence 24
7. Birch 1876. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) 40-1
8. Cottages at Birch, 1862. Architect's drawing by F. Chancellor, from E.R.O., D/F 8/598 43
9. Little Birch Hall, c. 1772. Engraving from A New and Complete History of Essex by a Gentleman, vol. vi (1772) 45
10. Boxted c. 1800. From Ordnance Survey, surveyors' drawings (copies in E.R.O.), and Essex Map (1777) 55
11. Penns and other houses north-east of the church, Boxted, in 1586. From a map by John Walker the elder. Detail from E.R.O., D/DE1 P1 58
12. Mount Bures c. 1850. From the tithe map 1838 and documentary sources 69
13. Mount Bures, Wakes Colne, and Chappel, 1881. From Ordnance Survey map 6" (1881 edn.) 71
14. Chappel c. 1810. From map in E.R.O., D/P 37/28/7 77
15. Earls Colne 1598. From map in E.R.O., D/DSm P1 87
16. Earls Colne, Priory and surrounding area in 1598. Redrawn from E.R.O., D/DSm P1 89
17. Earls Colne street plan, 1898. From Ordnance Survey Map 6", Essex XVII SE., SW. (1898 edn.) 90
18. Earls Colne: Hunt's Atlas Works c. 1900. From headed notepaper in E.R.O., Acc. A7847 (uncat.) 98
19. Colne Engaine c. 1650. From map of 1612 in Guildhall Libr., E.R.O., D/DR P10, and documentary sources 105
20. Colne Engaine, Hills Monument in Colne Park in 1999. Drawing by Nicola Smith 109
21. Wakes Colne c. 1800. From the tithe award map c. 1841, E.R.O., D/DE1 P55; Essex Map (1777) 117
22. Wakes Colne green in 1825. Redrawn from E.R.O., D/DE1 P55 with additional information from tithe award map 119
23. White Colne 1744. From E.R.O., T/M 266 130
24. White Colne church before restoration. Engraving from E.R.O., Mint Portfolio 137
25. Copford 1876. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) 140
26. Richard Woods's plan, 1784, for the gardens at Copford Hall. From a map in the possession of Brian Harrison, Esq. 145
27. Dedham c. 1790. From Ordnance Survey, surveyors' drawings (copy in E.R.O.), J. Chapman and P. André, Essex Map (1777), and Ordnance Survey Map 1" (1805 edn.), reproduced in Harry Margary, Old Series Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales 155
28. Dedham street plan, 1923. From Ordnance Survey Map 1/2,500, Essex XIX. 13 (1923 edn.) 162
29. Webb merchant's mark. Redrawn from Essex Review, xix 173
30. Dedham church and street in the early 19th century. From T. Wright, The History and Topography of the County of Essex, vol. i (1831) 180
31. East Donyland 1733. From E.R.O., D/DU 315 187
32. Rowhedge street plan, 1897. Ordnance Survey Map 1/2,500, Essex XXXVII. 1, 2 (1897 edn.) 188
33. Easthorpe 1840. From tithe award map of 1840 199
34. Fordham 1879. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) and documentary evidence 206
35. Eight Ash Green c. 1970. From Ordnance Survey Map 6" TL 92 NE. (1958 edn.); 1/10,000 TL 92 NW. (1975 edn.), TL 92 SW (1975 edn.) 209
36. Great and Little Horkesley c. 1880. From Ordnance Survey 6" map (1881 edn.) and documentary evidence 220
37. Wooden effigies in Little Horkesley church. From a 19th-century engraving in E.R.O., Mint Binder 241
38. Langham c. 1840. From the tithe award map of 1838 243
39. Boxted airfield, Langham, in the Second World War. From a drawing in R. A. Freeman, The Mighty Eighth War Manual (1985) 246
40. Langham Hall, c. 1772. From A New and Complete History of Essex by a Gentleman,vol. vi (1772) 249
41. Stanway c. 1790. From the tithe award map of 1839; E.R.O., D/P 43/28/1; D/DWe P17; D/DE1 P14, P17; T/M 283 260
42. Olivers, Stanway, in 1658. Redrawn from E.R.O., T/M 214 265
43. Wivenhoe 1838. From tithe award map of 1838 275
44. Wivenhoe, street plan 1923. Reduced from Ordnance Survey Map 1/2,500, Essex XXXVII. 12, XXXVIII. 9 (1923 edn.) 278
45. South prospect of Wivenhoe in 1734. From a redrawing of E.R.O., D/DU 27 in Wivenhoe church. By permission of the rector and churchwardens 282
46. Wormingford 1838. From tithe award map of 1838 296


<--Previous:
List of plates
Next:-->
Editorial note