In 1665 there was at
least one Quaker in Aldham, and in 1683 he and
five other men did not attend church. (fn. 87) In 1694
the Copford monthly meeting was occasionally
held at Joseph Sewell's house, Hoe Farm, which
was licensed in 1705. The Sewells and two other
men remained Quakers in 1766. (fn. 88) In 1810 there
were a few poor 'separatists' but no meeting
house. (fn. 89)
By 1868 a house in Fordstreet was used as a
mission room by the Countess of Huntingdon's
Connexion chapel at Fordham. It was bought
for the mission in 1904, but was demolished
c. 1930; its congregation moved to the Fordham
chapel. (fn. 90)
E.R. lvii. 68; E.R.O., D/ABV 2, f. 77.
||E.R.O., Q/SBb 33/2; S. H. G. Fitch, Colch. Quakers,
23; Lamb. Pal. Libr., Terrick Papers 14.
||Lamb. Pal. Libr., Randolph Papers 9.
||E.R.O., T/R 228; ibid. Acc. C764 (uncat.); P. Lewis,
This Barren Land, 47-8; R.C.H.M. Essex, iii. 3.