In 1656 a Quaker
parishioner disturbed the Sunday service. (fn. 12)
There were 10 protestant nonconformists in
1676. (fn. 13) A dissenting minister, William Squirell,
lived in West Bergholt in 1799 but there is no
record of his congregation. (fn. 14) The parish developed a strong nonconformist element during the
earlier 19th century, dissenting congregations
exceeding those at the parish church in 1851. (fn. 15)
Nine Wesleyan Methodists met on the heath
in 1799; (fn. 16) a chapel was built c. 1822 on the
Colchester to Sudbury road. In 1829 it had a
congregation of c. 20 'Arminian' Methodists. In
1851 the minister was from the Culver Street
Methodist chapel, Colchester, and attendances
averaged c. 50 at the morning service and
c. 80 in the afternoon. (fn. 17) The chapel may have
been abandoned by 1853. It was purchased by
Daniell's brewery and demolished by 1866. (fn. 18)
In 1829 George Francis, of the Eld Lane
Baptist chapel, Colchester, occasionally preached
in West Bergholt to between 30 and 60 people.
There is no record of a chapel and the meetings
may have been short-lived. (fn. 19)
A Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in
1838 on the later Chapel Road. By 1851 it held
240 and attracted congregations of 174 in the
morning, 242 in the afternoon, and 100 in the
evening. (fn. 20) By 1870 it was registered for marriages. (fn. 21) It was rebuilt in 1871, and was attended
by c. 130 people in 1873. Five preachers and
three prayer leaders of the Hadleigh Primitive
Methodist circuit lived in the parish in 1872. In
1878 the chapel was replaced by a larger one
further north on Chapel Road, which by 1894
had been enlarged. (fn. 22) That chapel, a late 19th-
century brick and tile building, was still open
and served by its own minister in 1995. The
earlier chapel, a small brick and slate building,
was used as a shop in 1995.
||E.R.O., Q/SR 370/100; West Bergholt Local Hist.
Group, West Bergholt in Hist. (priv. print. 1986), 28;
J. Besse, Sufferings of the Quakers (1733), i. 92.
Compton Census, ed. Whiteman, 51.
||E.R.O., Acc. C210 (uncat.): J. B. Harvey Colln. vi, p. 61.
||A. F. J. Brown, Meagre Harvest, 134-5.
||E.R.O., Acc. C539 (uncat.).
||P.R.O., HO 129/8/205; E.R.O., Q/CR 3/1/30, 3/1/31;
ibid. D/CT 33; ibid. D/DL1 M11; Church of England Rec.
Centre, Nat. Soc. file.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1866); E.R.O., D/DL1 M11; ibid.
D/NM 2/1/25; O.S. Map 6", Essex XXVII (1881 edn.).
||E.R.O., Q/CR 3/2/30; V.C.H. Essex, ix. 341.
V.C.H. Essex, ix. 348; P.R.O., HO 129/8/205; E.R.O.,
D/CT 33; ibid. D/DL1 M11; O.S. Map 6", Essex XXVII
Lond. Gaz. 24 June 1870, 3122.
E.R. iii. 5; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1894); Wormell, Hist.
Bergholt, 25; E.R.O., D/NM 2/9/3; D/NM 2/5/20; ibid. Acc.