CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
shared in Love's Charity from which £2 was
received in 1786. (fn. 77) In 1994 the charity was still
registered with the Charity Commissioners but
no returns had been received. (fn. 78)
By 1786 the rent of £1 a year from Camping
close was being used for the poor. (fn. 79) In 1836 the
£2 10s. rent from the field was applied to the
poor rate; by 1877 the rent was used to support
the National school. (fn. 80) The rents from three
allotments of land on Boxted heath, totalling 4 a.
in Betty Potter's field and 1 a. in Gravel Pit field,
granted to the churchwardens and surveyors in
1815, were by 1881 used to support the National
school. A Charity Commission Scheme of 1896
allowed the income from Camping close and
2½ a. in Betty Potter's field and 1 a. in Gravel
Pit field to be used for recreational purposes
under the trusteeship of the parish council.
Gravel Pit field was sold in 1917 and Betty
Potter's field in 1919 and the proceeds were
invested. (fn. 81) In 1947 dividends of c. £4 a year were
used to support the poor. (fn. 82) In 1961, Camping
close was sold to the Essex Education Committee for £200 which sum was also invested. (fn. 83)
Robert Gilder, by deed of 1633, gave two
cottages on Chapel Lane, an adjacent 2-a. field,
and ½ a. of wood for the use of poor widows.
By will dated 1663, he vested three cottages and
the same land in the churchwardens and overseers of the parish. In 1684 there were two
houses for two widows. (fn. 84) In 1837 the cottages
were occupied by poor people, and the rent of
the land, called Widows' field, was applied to
the poor rate. (fn. 85) The cottages had apparently
been demolished by 1887. The rent of the field
in 1894 was £5, from which 11 widows each
received 5s. The ½ a. of woodland had been lost
by 1913. In 1956 the remaining land was sold
for £160 which was invested for the charity. (fn. 86)
Before 1730 there were two apparently unen-
dowed almshouses by the churchyard, perhaps
the house hired for the poor in 1770. (fn. 87) In 1838
the almshouses were held by the parish officers
and between 1845 and 1937 they generally
housed two poor people, although six occupied
them in 1855 and 1866. In 1906 they were in
poor condition, but residents paid 1s. a week
towards their upkeep after repairs in 1912.
There was only one occupant in 1952 and the
house, St. Peter's, was sold for £45 in 1953,
demolished, and rebuilt in brick. The proceeds
were apparently invested. (fn. 88)
The income from all of the above charities
had been amalgamated in a single church charities account by 1998. (fn. 89)
||Below, Little Horkesley, Char.; E.R.O., Q/RSrl, pp.
||Char. Com. file.
||E.R.O., Q/RSrl, pp. 372-3; above, this par., Intro.
32nd Rep. Com. Char., p. 628; E.R.O., D/P 155/30/11.
||E.R.O., D/P 155/30/11; D/P 155/25/6-8.
||Ibid. D/P 155/25/11.
||Ibid. D/P 155/28/34; 155/30/11.
||Ibid. D/P 155/25/1-2; ibid. Q/RSrl, pp. 372-3;
Morant, Essex, ii. 241.
32nd Rep. Com. Char., p. 628; E.R.O., D/CT 43.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1884-1937); E.R.O., D/P 155/25/4;
||E.R.O., T/P 195/11; Morant, Essex, ii. 241; Lamb.
Pal. Libr., Terrick 15. The almshouses may have been the
town house which was to be repaired and enlarged in 1592:
Essex Wills, i. 286.
||E.R.O., D/CT 43; ibid. D/P 155/25/13-14; 155/30/1,
pp. 96, 100, 102, 113; Carter, Short Hist. Boxted, 29;
R.C.H.M. Essex, iii. 11; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1845-1937); inf.
from Boxted Local Hist. Group.
||Inf. from Boxted Local Hist. Group.