CHARITIES FOR THE POOR
Robert Holde conveyed to trustees a freehold
estate called Machons (14 a.), the income to be
used partly to endow an obit, partly to support
the incumbent of Chappel or to relieve the
poor. (fn. 63) The land was confiscated in 1548 and
granted in 1549 to Henry Stapleton, whose
interest may have passed to John Turner of
Crepping. (fn. 64) In 1591 the rent was apparently
being paid to the incumbent, but the estate was
not finally recovered for the parish until c. 1598,
when it was rented for 16s. 8d. a year. (fn. 65) In the
late 17th century the income was £9 a year, paid
to the curate or vicar if he needed it, otherwise
to the poor. (fn. 66) By 1723 the income of £8 and 1
qr. of rye a year seems to have been given to the
poor, as presumably was the £14 a year received
in 1787. (fn. 67) The land belonged to the Chappel
poor c. 1810. (fn. 68) In 1837 the charity was called
Holde's and Leving's, although the endowment
was Holde's. (fn. 69) In 1848 the income was £30 a
year. (fn. 70) In the 1890s vicars attempted, unsuccess-
fully, to reclaim the charity. (fn. 71) The land was sold
in 1890 and the proceeds invested by the charity
commissioners. (fn. 72) In 1931 poor widows received
£1 each and poor householders 10s. each. (fn. 73) The
charity was wound up in the 1990s and the
remaining capital given to support the parish
council's work with the elderly. (fn. 74)
Anne Bailey, who lived at Broom House in
the 1840s, (fn. 75) by will of unknown date, beque-
athed capital to provide gifts in money or kind
for the poor of Chappel. The charity, which pro-
duced c. £13 in 1887 and £10 in 1994, was gov-
erned by a Scheme of 1978. The shares were
sold in 1994, and in 1995 the balance in hand
was £290. (fn. 76)
||E.R.O., D/DBm T5B, p. 43; P.R.O., REQ 2/166/186; 32nd Rep. Com. Char. 629.
Cal. Pat. 1548-9, 293, 295.
||P.R.O., REQ 2/166/186; E.R.O., D/DBm T5B, PP. 35-7.
||E.R.O., D/DBm T5B, pp. 1-25.
||Guildhall MS. 25750/1; E.R.O., Q/RSr 1, Abstract of Returns of Charitable Donations etc. 1787-88, pp. 376-7.
||E.R.O., D/P 37/28/7.
32nd Rep. Com. Char. 629.
White's Dir. Essex (1848), 134.
||E.R.O., D/Z 7/1, p. 89; ibid. Temp. Acc. C280 (uncat.).
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1890).
||E.R.O., T/P 181/3/4.
||Inf. from Mr. J. Rees, chairman of the parish council.
||P.R.O., HO 107/335/2; White's Dir. Essex (1848), 134.
||Char. Com. file; E.R.O., T/A 645.