Colne Engaine
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Page

116

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Colne Engaine: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 116. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15193 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR

William Crabb, by will dated 1578, granted to the use of the poor the reversion of a house and 2 a. of land held of Goldington's manor. (fn. 66) By indenture of 1694 Thomas Little, lord of that manor, granted the estate to new trustees and provided that the profits were to be distributed by the church- wardens and overseers. (fn. 67) By 1806 the land was called Town Land. In 1857 it was exchanged for a 2½-a. close whose rents were distributed amongst the poor. In 1994 the income was £125. (fn. 68)

Footnotes

66 Essex Wills, iv, p. 139.
67 E.R.O., D/DHt T74/2; D/DU 307/13, p. 154; cf. 32nd. Rep. Com. Char. pp. 642-3.
68 E.R.O., D/P 193/8/3; Char. Com. file.