List of illustrations and maps

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W. R. Powell (Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations and maps', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15521 Date accessed: 28 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS AND MAPS

The three maps are based on the Ordnance Survey, and like the illustration of painted glass facing page 185 are published with the sanction of the Controller of H. M. Stationery Office, Crown Copyright reserved. Additional information for the map facing p. 110 was supplied by the Chigwell Urban District Council. The drawings of Fyfield Hall and Lampetts are by Miss Cynthia Booth, based on a survey made by the National Buildings Record in 1954. Thanks for the loan of photographs and other pictures are due to Mrs. C. Blaxall (Kelvedon Hatch Old Church), the Cement and Concrete Association (Bank of England Printing Works), Mr. D. A. J. Buxton (Town Hall, Chipping Ongar), the Minister and Deacons of White Roding Congregational Church (Abbess Roding Congregational Church), and the Minister and Deacons of Chipping Ongar Congregational Church (Stanford Rivers Congregational Church); and to the National Buildings Record and the Essex Record Office for the loan of several photographic and other prints. The portrait facing p. 280 is reproduced by courtesy of the Mayor and Corporation of Saffron Walden. The block for the illustration of Lucton Secondary Modern School was lent by the Essex Education Committee. Unless otherwise stated, all photographs were taken in 1955 by Mrs. Margaret Tomlinson.

Air View of Chipping Ongar, 6 June 1951 frontispiece
Map of the Hundred of Ongar, drawn by Cynthia Booth page 3
Arms of Chigwell Urban District, granted 1951 " " 18
Buckhurst Hill. Air View from the west, 4 June 1952 facing " 18
Chigwell Village 19
Barns at Rookwood Hall, Abbess Roding. Photograph by G. N. Kent, 1940 " " 19
Dews Hall, Lambourne, refronted c. 1740, demolished c. 1840. Drawn by J. P. Neale and included in his Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England ... (2nd Ser.), Vol. i (1824) " " 30
Luxborough House, Chigwell, rebuilt 1716-20, demolished c. 1800. Drawn by Metz. From a print, published in 1783 by Harrison & Co., in the Essex Record Office " " 30
Fyfield Hall, sections and plan " " 48
Lampetts, Fyfield, sections and plan " " 50
Fyfield Church facing " 52
Bomb Damage at Navestock Church. Photograph by G. N. Kent, 1940 " " 52
Fyfield Church: chancel in 1834. Drawn by A. Suckling and published in his Memorials of the ... Architecture of Essex (1845) " " 53
Lambourne Church in 1825. Drawn by J. P. Neale. From a print, published 1825, in the Essex Record Office " " 53
Greenstead Church in 1748. From Vetusta Monumenta (Soc. Antiq.), Vol. ii (1789) " " 61
Kelvedon Hall, built c. 1743. Photograph from Country Life, 1941 " " 82
Lambourne Place, formerly the Rectory, built c. 1740 " " 82
Map of Loughton, drawn by Cynthia Booth and Margaret Tomlinson " " 110
Loughton Street Plan, drawn by Cynthia Booth " " 111
Mid-20th-century Buildings at Debden.
Roman Catholic Church of St. Thomas More, opened 1953 " " 112
Bank of England Printing Works (Architects, Easton & Robertson; Consulting Engineers, Ove Arup & Partners). Interior of main printing hall under construction, 1954 " " 112
Nonconformist Churches.
Abbess Roding Congregational Church, built 1729, demolished c. 1900. From an oil painting " " 113
Stanford Rivers Congregational Church, built 1820, burnt 1927. From a photograph of 1927 " " 113
Buckhurst Hill: Palmerston Road Congregational Church, built 1874 " " 113
Loughton: Methodist Church, built 1903 " " 113
Former village school at Greenstead, built c. 1846 " " 126
County Primary School, High Ongar, built 1867 " " 126
Loughton County High School for Girls, built 1908 facing page 127
Lucton Secondary Modern School, Debden, built 1950 " " 127
Navestock Hall, built early 18th century, demolished 1811. Drawn by J. Chapman. From A ... History of Essex by a Gentleman, Vol. iii (1771) " " 136
The former Rectory, Stondon Massey, built early 17th century, demolished c. 1800. Drawn by 'C.H.' From The Gentleman's Magazine, lxxv (1), facing p. 105 (1805) " " 136
Wynter's Armourie, Magdalen Laver, containing part of a 14th-century aisled hall " " 137
Black Hall or Guildhall Cottage, Moreton, probably a Guildhall of c. 1473 " " 137
Former Steam Mill, Navestock " " 156
Town Hall, Chipping Ongar, demolished 1896-7. Photograph of c. 1890 " " 156
Castle House and the Moat of Ongar Castle in 1832. From Thomas Wright's History of ... Essex, ii, 330 " " 157
Greenstead Hall in the later 18th century. From A New Display of the Beauties of England (3rd ed.), Vol. i (1776) " " 157
High Ongar Church: 12th-century Tympanum. Photograph by G. N. Kent, 1942 " " 184
Little Laver Church: 12th-century Font Bowl " " 184
Painted Glass in High Ongar Church: Arms of Jane Seymour. From Hist. Mon. Com. Essex, Vol. ii (1924), plate facing p. xxxvii " " 185
Shelley Hall, Mural Painting of c. 1590. From E.A.T (1913) n.s. xii, 26 " " 185
Beauchamp Roding Church " " 202
Magdalen Laver Church " " 202
Toot Hill Windmill, Stanford Rivers. Shattered by lightning 1829. Print as sold for the benefit of the miller " " 210
Old Loughton Hall, burnt 1836. From an early-19th-century water-colour, E.A.T. (1903) n.s. viii, 345 " " 226
Albyns, Stapleford Abbots (derelict in 1955). From an estate map of 1654, E.R.O. D/DC 27/1121 " " 226
The River Roding and Passingford Mill from Passingford Bridge " " 232
Loughton: Trees in Epping Forest showing the effects of lopping " " 232
Cutlers Forge, Stapleford Tawney " " 233
Stanford Rivers: Tent and Tarpaulin Factory, formerly the Ongar Union Workhouse " " 233
Post-Reformation Churches.
Kelvedon Hatch Old Church, built 1750-3. Photograph by Constance Blaxall, c. 1942 " " 270
Theydon Bois, built 1850 " " 270
Theydon Mount, built 1611-14 " " 270
The Church and Priest's House, Theydon Garnon. Drawn and published by W. Franklin in 1818. From a print in the Essex Record Office " " 271
Stondon Massey Church in 1833. Drawn by A. Suckling, and published in his Memorials of the ... Architecture of Essex (1845) " " 271
Portrait of Sir Thomas Smyth (1513-77). By an unknown artist. The original, which is in Saffron Walden Town Hall, was presented to the corporation by Sir Charles Smyth in 1771 and is presumed to have been copied about that time from an earlier work " " 280
Hill Hall. East front, reconstructed c. 1714. Photograph from Country Life, 1908 " " 281
Hill Hall. The Great Hall before 20th-century alterations. Photograph from Country Life, 1908 " " 281
Semi-detached Houses at Theydon Bois, built c. 1900 " " 286
Post-1945 Housing Estate at North Weald " " 286


Next:-->
Editorial note