Richard Bourne of Greenstead Hall
(d. 1660) left to the poor of the parish
40s. issuing from Lee Fields. (fn. 32) In 1834 the money was
used to buy coal for all the poor householders. The
rent-charge was not collected from 1908 to 1924 but
it is now being paid and is used for the general purposes
of the charities.
Mary Rayner, by will proved 1873, left £200 for
the purchase of blankets and clothing to be distributed
to the deserving poor in winter. (fn. 33)
Edward Sammes, by will proved 1882, left to the
rector £10 and £100 duty-free to be invested respectively for the upkeep of his grave and for the purchase
of tea and sugar to be distributed on 6 January to
eighteen poor families in the parish. (fn. 34) The first bequest
was void by the rule against perpetuities.
The three charities of Bourne, Rayner, and Sammes
were united in 1904 to form the Consolidated Charities. (fn. 35) Their income was to be used for the poor and
sick, primarily as gifts in kind, and in help to hospitals
&c., caring for the sick of the parish. In 1945 the
income was used to give £1 1s. each to the Ongar
nurse and the Ongar Hospital and to give coal to two
Howel J. J. Price (d. 1943) left £100 in trust for
the repair of his grave and the benefit of the poor of the
parish. (fn. 36) The former purpose was void. In 1950 £1
was given to the Greenstead School Foundation and
£1 to the Greenstead Consolidated Charities.
Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), H.C. 216,
pp. 228-9 (1835), xxi (1); Char. Com. files.
||Char. Com. files.
||Ibid. Sammes was a prominent builder
and shopkeeper in Chipping Ongar (q.v.).
||Ibid. Price lived for many years at Greenstead Hall.