Lambourne
Charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W. R. Powell (Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Page

86

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Lambourne: Charities', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 86. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15573 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

CHARITIES

Thomas Barfoot of Lambourne Hall, by will proved 1592, left 6s. 8d. a year charged on Sym's Croft for the relief of the poor of the parish. (fn. 73) The charge was paid regularly until 1661, and after 1664 payment was resumed. (fn. 74) In 1731 the money was being distributed to those of the poor who were not receiving any weekly allowance. (fn. 75) In 1834 it was believed that the charge should be spent on bell-ropes, although in fact it was paid into the churchwardens' general account. (fn. 76) In 1947-9 it was distributed in money to buy coal. (fn. 77)

John Broomfield, by will dated 1687, left 10s. issuing from his farm of Pryors for the poor of the parish. (fn. 78) The rent charge was redeemed in 1950 for £20 which was invested. The rent was being paid from 1689 onwards (fn. 79) and was distributed to the poor on 1 January. (fn. 80) In 1834 it was carried to the churchwardens' general account, although it was said to be spent on bread for the poor. (fn. 81) It was spent on general church purposes in the mid-19th century and for some years before 1950, but from 1950 it has been distributed in money to buy coal. (fn. 82)

The parish owned two pieces of land in the common meadow of Theydon Bois (q.v.). The income from them rose from 35s. in 1673 to £5 in 1834. (fn. 83) It was spent on the church and the poor in the 18th century (fn. 84) and was carried to the churchwardens' account in 1834. (fn. 85) In 1950 it was distributed in money to buy coal. (fn. 86)

The parish also owned property at Lambourne End, on which a house was built by the parish in about 1671. (fn. 87) The house was enlarged in about 1810. (fn. 88) Until then it had been rented, sometimes to the parish clerk, (fn. 89) but from then until 1836 it was used as a poorhouse. (fn. 90) From 1838 it was once again rented and the income was applied to general church purposes, (fn. 91) as the rent of the land had been in 1834. (fn. 92) In 1950 the total rents were £34 2s. 6d. which were spent on church repairs and improvement. (fn. 93) Church House has a tall front with a mansard roof and dormer windows. The lower cottage attached to it at the rear is probably the Old Church House of about 1671.

The parish formerly owned cottages near the river next to Hull Mead at Abridge. In 1731 they were said to be for the use of the poor. (fn. 94) They were sold in 1830 to clear the debt incurred in rebuilding the Church House in 1810.

Footnotes

73 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1; Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), H.C. 216, p. 230 (1835), xxi (1).
74 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1.
75 Ibid. 181/8/2.
76 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), p. 230.
77 Char. Com. files.
78 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1, 2. See above, Pryors.
79 Ibid.
80 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), p. 230; E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1.
81 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), p. 230.
82 Char. Com. files.
83 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1.
84 Ibid. 181/8/2.
85 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), p. 230.
86 Char. Com. files.
87 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/1-2.
88 Ibid. 181/8/4 (1810).
89 Ibid. 181/8/1.
90 Ibid. 181/8/4.
91 Ibid. 181/8/3.
92 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), p. 230; E.R.O., D/P 181/8/3.
93 Char. Com. files.
94 E.R.O., D/P 181/8/2.