Robert Rampston, by will dated 1585, left to the
poor of Loughton £1 a year issuing
from Stone Hall Farm in Little
Canfield. In 1834 the money was
spent on bread which was distributed after church one
Sunday in the spring to those poor parishioners who
had attended the service. In 1872 it was decided that
flannel was a more useful gift than bread. In 1951-2 the
rent charge was spent, together with the income from
the following six charities, on coal and clothing tickets.
In 1813 the Rector of Loughton was admitted as
tenant of 3 acres formerly waste of the manor, to hold
to the use of the poor to grow potatoes or other
vegetables. (fn. 95) The land was to be divided into allotments. In 1817 he was admitted to another 3 acres
for the same purpose. In 1834 the land was divided
into 48 gardens, each let at 2s. 6d. a year, and the
income was spent on fencing and on twelve prizes for
good cultivation. The Potato Ground lies north-west
of Whitaker's Almshouses at Goldings Hill and in
1952 was divided into 80 plots, let at 3d. a rood. The
total rent of £12 12s. was spent on maintenance and
Anne Whitaker, by will proved 1825, left £2,200
stock in trust for £40 to be spent each year on the
charity school and the rest of the income given to the
deserving poor, with preference to women lying in.
In 1905 the two parts of the charity were separated
and the Eleemosynary Charity was given an endowment of £380 stock. In 1951-2 the income was
spent on coal and clothing tickets.
Miss Whitaker also left £1,000 to repair the poorhouse. (fn. 96) In 1847 most of this money was spent on
building six two-roomed almshouses under one roof,
to the north-west of Arewater Green at Goldings
Hill. The remaining £115 formed the permanent
endowment of the almshouses. To this additions have
been made by the charities of Jane M. Waller and
Olivia Houghton (see below) and in the Second World
War the charity also received Savings Certificates
worth £110, raised in local savings weeks. Part of
this last sum has been spent on electric lighting. Part
of the almshouse garden is now let as allotments with
the neighbouring Potato Ground (see above). The
almswomen, who live rent free, usually receive part of
the other parish charities.
Nicholas Pearse, by will proved 1825, left £50 in
trust for the poor of the parish. In 1834 it was reported
that the income was distributed every two or three
years to poor parishioners selected by the vestry. In
1951-2 the dividend of £1 4s. 8d. was spent on coal
In 1834 an inscription in the church recorded the
existence of Poor's Piece, (fn. 97) comprising part of the
glebe land in Round Mead. In that year the rector
paid £3 rent for it, which was distributed with the
income from Rampston's Charity. In 1917 the land
was sold for £120 stock. In 1951-2 this produced a
dividend of £3, which was spent on coal and clothing.
Sarah Pearse, by will proved before 1846, left £50
to be invested for the poor of the parish. In 1951-2
the income of £1 6s. was spent on coal and clothing.
The above seven charities, together with Olivia
Houghton's (see below), are in practice administered
together under the name of the Parochial Charities.
In 1951-2 they yielded together £9 1s. 2d. This was
spent on coal and clothing tickets for seventeen people,
five of whom were the inmates of Whitaker's Almshouses and two of Lincoln's Almshouses (see above,
Baldwins Buildings or the Parish Houses were
founded as a charity by a public subscription to buy
the old parish workhouse after the Poor Law Unions
were formed. (fn. 98) The workhouse was divided into six
tenements with gardens, which according to the foundation deed of 1837 were to be occupied free or at low
rent. In 1873 five were occupied but all were in a very
poor condition, so they were pulled down and the land
was used as allotments. In 1927 the land, then said to
front on Wroth's Path, was sold for £430. The charity
now holds over £500 stock, the income from which is
to be spent on the payment of weekly allowances to
deserving parishioners. In 1951 £7 9s. 6d. was spent
on coal for the almshouses and £6 10s. on gifts to poor
Eliza Watson, by will proved 1871, left £1,000 in
trust for the purchase of bread, coal, or clothing for
poor parishioners. In 1951 the income of £27 2s. 8d.
was spent on 10s. vouchers and coal for the almshouses.
The Parish Clerk's Piece is of unknown but ancient
origin. It may be identical with Sexton Acre, mentioned
in 1585. (fn. 99) In 1877 the parish clerk held a small piece
of pasture on Traps Hill, supposedly by virtue of his
office. Its origin could not then be traced. In 1922 the
land was sold for £650 which was invested for the
benefit of the parish clerk. The income in 1950 was
£24 18s. 6d. and was used for the general expenses of
St. John's, Loughton.
Jane Miller Waller, by will proved 1882, left
£1,000 in trust for distribution early each year to the
six inmates of Whitaker's Almshouses. The endowment was augmented in 1897 by £90 from one of the
trustees: this was to be spent with the main fund, and
called the Longest Reign Augmentation Dole. In
1945 the income of £31 10s. 4d. was given in cash
half-yearly to the six almswomen.
William Frederick Turner, by will proved 1905,
left two bequests of £250 in trust for the purchase of
boots for deserving poor men and of underlinen for
deserving poor women, respectively. In 1951 the
whole income was £14 7s. 4d. Nineteen 10s. vouchers
were given away.
William Chapman Waller, by will proved 1917,
left £300 in trust to spend £1 1s. a year each on sermons at St. Mary's and St. John's, Loughton, and £1 1s.
a year in gifts to two or three deserving old parishioners
of St. Mary's, preferably Anglicans, and an unspecified
sum in the same way in St. John's parish. The lychgate at St. John's was to be maintained and £2 2s.
spent on the maintenance of the graveyard there. In
1950 the Vicar of St. Mary's was paid £1 1s. for the
sermon and three poor parishioners of St. Mary's
received 7s. each. The churchwardens of St. John's
received £9 15s. 8d. in 1951; £1 1s. was spent on the
sermon and £4 10s. on mowing the churchyard.
Mrs. Olivia Houghton, by will proved 1922, left
£300 duty free for the general purposes of the Whitaker
Almshouses. The money was invested in stock and in
1951-2 the income of £13 13s. 6d. was handed over
to the trustees of the almshouses.