John Green, grocer of London, by will proved 1626,
devised to the poor of Navestock,
where he was born, all his property
in the parish. He also left the parish
£70 and the residue of his estate, which were used to
buy more land. In 1834 the endowment consisted of
freehold and copyhold land in Brentwood and Navestock, including an almshouse of two rooms occupied
by paupers placed there by the parish officers. This
stood at Navestock Heath opposite the road junction
nearly ½ mile south of the village school. (fn. 11) It was burnt
down in 1892. Parts of the property, including that in
Brentwood, were sold between 1919 and 1942. In
1834 the charity's rental was £48 17s. 9d. In 1951 it
held over a thousand pounds in stock and its income
from this and rents was £92 17s. 7d.
In 1834 the income, after deductions for repairs,
&c., was used to buy shoes, jackets, and faggots for poor
people, including some receiving parish relief. The
sum of £15 a year was given to the parish school from
1850 to 1872. The rest of the income was being spent
on clothes and coal. In 1952 £65 was given to the
vicar to distribute at his discretion.
In 1669 Lewis Betts gave £1 a year for four of the
oldest decayed labouring men of the parish and £2
towards binding poor apprentices. Both sums were
charged on property at Romford, and were regularly
paid in 1834. The first was distributed, but no apprentice had been bound for 20 years. The money
for apprenticing appears to have been used for that
purpose for the last time in 1922. In 1951 £2 was distributed to four old people.
An unknown donor before 1786 gave the poor a
rent charge of £1 issuing from Dycotts in Navestock.
In 1834 it was spent along with Green's Charity and
in 1951 with Bett's Charity.
Elizabeth Prince, by will dated 1796, left £150 in
trust for a distribution every February to eight poor
families or persons not in receipt of parish relief. In
1834 it was reported that the vicar was careful to
choose people of good character and that all the poor
of the parish received the charity in turn. In 1950 the
income was £6 19s. and £10 was distributed among 20
The Revd. Frederick Vane, by will proved 1865,
left £50 in trust for distribution to the poor of the
parish on St. Thomas's day. The money was invested.
In 1929 it was said that many years before the income
had been distributed in fourpenny pieces. In 1951
the income had apparently not been spent for some
The charities of James Wallenger and Lady Tipper
were reported as already lost in 1786. The unknown
donor's charity above has now the alternative title of
Wallenger's but it is not clear that there is any evidence
for this identification. Sir William Sedley, by his will
of 1617, directed that his executors should buy
annuities for the poor of Aylesford and Herne (Kent)
and Navestock. (fn. 12) Deeds were executed giving rent
charges to the other parishes but there is no record of
any for Navestock.